Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack B Nimble posted:

The send up of gym culture specifically. The reviews I've read aren't bad, and engage well with the movie in its larger themes of violence, self defense, and toxic masculinity, but some of the jokes that landed best with me are specific to the training. Like, how obsessed he is with his yellow belt.

I want to clarify I wasn't at all hoping for a technique critique of the fights or anything.

That's what I figured you were interested in. Yeah as I recall Slack (who is by a wide margin the best technical analyst in MMA media and probably in all of fight sports media) said something like "decent movie; cheeky fun. A good send-up of bullshido mcdojo culture and all of the bullshit cult stuff that they do. Go watch it. Or don't." Like, he seriously only said maybe 3 sentences about it as a side point wrt something else he was discussing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Yeah, I did like all of the rigmarole shown for wearing the gi and tying the belt. It wild definitely be a different and more alien experience watching it without having a baseline for what training martial arts is like.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Whew, FINALLY got back to class last night for the first time since...2 weeks ago? 3 maybe? Good news is that even after all of the new poo poo we were doing, I'm not nearly as sore as I thought I'd be, but holy crap did my overall agility take a hit. Not sure if it was from getting over a cold or what, but my balance was REALLY off. Gonna try to catch a couple of extra classes this week to make up for it.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Jack B Nimble posted:

The send up of gym culture specifically. The reviews I've read aren't bad, and engage well with the movie in its larger themes of violence, self defense, and toxic masculinity, but some of the jokes that landed best with me are specific to the training. Like, how obsessed he is with his yellow belt.

I want to clarify I wasn't at all hoping for a technique critique of the fights or anything.

I did find it funny that the grappling demonstrated was technically sound (the director is a BJJ purple belt, IIRC) but the karate explanations were completely nonsensical ("kick with your fists", etc.).

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Nestharken posted:

I did find it funny that the grappling demonstrated was technically sound (the director is a BJJ purple belt, IIRC) but the karate explanations were completely nonsensical ("kick with your fists", etc.).

I got the same impression for the same reasons, as well as " I'd use a bow and arrow choke" which, while not an exotic move, isn't as ubiquitous as arm bars, triangles, and rear naked chokes (which they even identified as a strangle).

It did lead to some dissonance though because the movie seems like it's set in the mid 90s and I was surprised when this walking talking black belt magazine cover art of a sensei was apparently at the cutting edge of martial arts.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm not familiar with him, but a quick Google search suggests I should be, I'll check it out, and maybe also this collection of essays, thanks.

Do yourself a favour and read/listen to everything you can. He's quite possibly the best martial arts analyst out there. David Christian aka The Modern Martial Artist is another great one, though he's mainly focused on striking. I'd suggest checking out his Youtube-channel.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

EdsTeioh posted:

Whew, FINALLY got back to class last night for the first time since...2 weeks ago? 3 maybe? Good news is that even after all of the new poo poo we were doing, I'm not nearly as sore as I thought I'd be, but holy crap did my overall agility take a hit. Not sure if it was from getting over a cold or what, but my balance was REALLY off. Gonna try to catch a couple of extra classes this week to make up for it.
I probably gained near 5lbs over the holidays between stuffing my face and drinking like a fish.

Weds was our first "real" day back and they took it relatively easy on us, so it wasn't terrible. Thursday was a technical class with my master and he had us do some simple but intense hip/leg stretching exercises which were killer, and then yesterday was pretty much back to the grind with "regular" intensity. Definitely feeling it on my body though. I hit class again in 2 hours and the warm up is going to feel a little sporty I suspect.

Unfortunately my fasciitis never really went away and Weds made it flare up again, so I was able to get a physio appt Thursday afternoon and have some good stretches to do and instructions on how to make a support for my heel with athletic tape which seemed to help.

I got an ungdodly amount of booze over Christmas and a couple of evenings were in excess.... decided it is counterproductive to my goals so I made the decision that I am going to go dry for the next 6 months, or at least until I finish my BB test.

June after my test is probably going to be a trainwreck though :lol:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

slidebite posted:

Unfortunately my fasciitis never really went away and Weds made it flare up again, so I was able to get a physio appt Thursday afternoon and have some good stretches to do and instructions on how to make a support for my heel with athletic tape which seemed to help.

How's your calf muscles? I'm not a doctor/physio, etc, but I had issues with my fasciitis and went through the same. Tape, stretches, inserts, etc. What fixed it was to aggressively foam roll my calf muscles. Even hamstring/glutes can have a big influence on it, but seeing you do TKD, I assume those are fairly flexible.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Tight. They're drat tight.. most of my muscles are unfortunately.

My PT gave me some stretches, 3 of which focus on the calves, so I think you're probably onto something. I'll ask my RMT about a roller idea (also a TKD friend), I don't think that's crazy and makes sense to me. Thanks.

I'm more flexible than I would be without TKD, but I'm a far cry from what I would call flexible :lol:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The stretches my PT gave me seem to help my fasciitis somewhat, so I'm going to keep on that AND I just ordered a foam roller because my calves are super tight. My RMT said it wouldn't hurt... but then quickly followed up saying "Well, it WILL hurt, but it won't hurt your fasciitis" LOL

Thanks for the idea.

My buddy who hurt her knee back in November was just starting getting into a bit more impact activity, like sparring/jump kicks after returning from Xmas/New Years.

Did a jumping turning kick in one of our BB pre-requisite pre-arranged sets and landed funny, twisting her knee again. :(

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Ah drat that sucks. But yeah, foam rollers are awesome; I got one for a weird back issue that's been bothering me since 1992 (Thanks a lot, Corrosion of Conformity).

I haven't been to class in a week now since I got loving covid and also missed work most of last week. 0/10; DO NOT recommend this poo poo.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

You were vaxx'd I presume? I got Alpha back in the day, and triple vaxxed with an AZ/Pfizer mix, so far, so good with Omicron.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

slidebite posted:

You were vaxx'd I presume? I got Alpha back in the day, and triple vaxxed with an AZ/Pfizer mix, so far, so good with Omicron.

Yeah, I had both shots of Pfizer. I cannot imagine how much worse this would have been without it.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

EdsTeioh posted:

I haven't been to class in a week now since I got loving covid and also missed work most of last week. 0/10; DO NOT recommend this poo poo.

I haven’t been to class since January 2020. Done almost nothing other than grocery shopping for two years because I wanted to keep my kids and high-risk family members safe.

My whole house currently has covid. Everyone vaccinated and all mild cases so far (I’ve got it the worst, kids basically shrugged it off).

Not entirely sure how I’m going to react when I do finally return to training and someone gives me poo poo for missing so much time.

(nothing against EdsTeioh. I’m basically riding this out by rage-posting on Twitter, and here now apparently)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Are you doing something else for fitness/training at home?

I feel it after missing a week, can't imagine a couple years. I feel for ya man.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape
Oh, no.

Not going to pretend I handled this well. Going to be pretty rough when I do go back.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

This episode DID help me figure out who all in class are “freedom fighters” though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Where we live, the only way a gym/dojo/dojang, basically any intense fitness business can stay open is by mandating vaccinations. No vaxx, no train at the club. Period.

There are a few who haven't been training that I am pretty sure are anti-vaxx (one BB in particular left when he was told he'd have to train with a mask during the height of it last spring), but to be fair we probably are still down 30-40% from our pre-covid memberships and they aren't all antis, it's just either safety or ~reasons~

Our small town satellite schools are crazy for kids classes though. I think some parents are really trying their best to get their kids doing something that is operating more or less normal with some safety protocols, and not crazy expensive like hockey or many other organized sports.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Fwiw I was out all of '20 and when I came back everyone who kept going was super cool about it.

So you might show up and that's that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

generatrix posted:

I haven’t been to class since January 2020. Done almost nothing other than grocery shopping for two years because I wanted to keep my kids and high-risk family members safe.

That's what I've been doing for most of this time. I'd probably be more adventurous if we didn't have a toddler who can't get vaxed yet, so not only is sending him to daycare already a risk, but it means there's that transmission risk for bringing that back to the gym.

My school closed Aug 2019 to move to a new location, but the initial deal fell apart, and by the time they found another place, the pandemic was in full swing. Only in the later half of 2021 did the owners reach out to the senior students asking if we wanted to participate in instruction. I went to some of the planning meetings to feel out what policy was gonna be.
Right now, the plan is vax or negative test result with whatever time window. The city will have indoor masking standards, which I'm sure will have good compliance, despite how much exercising in a mask sucks.

I was skeptical of people wanting to start training with the virus out there, but apparently interest signups have been fairly healthy. The new space has floor to ceiling windows facing a street with heavy foot traffic, and it was neat to see people walking and in cars at the light looking in to see us sparring in the elevated cage. It's a really nice space and we would be raking in students if it weren't for the pandemic.

Speaking of,

generatrix posted:

Not going to pretend I handled this well. Going to be pretty rough when I do go back.
I've been doing a nominal amount of cycling the past year, but no sport specific work. I did only 3 rounds, and if my internal clock for round time is still good, I was completely gassed before halfway, just trying my best to circle away to close out the rounds. I don't really see being in great shape being a requisite for intro class instruction, but it is a nice goal in and of itself.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Xguard86 posted:

Fwiw I was out all of '20 and when I came back everyone who kept going was super cool about it.

So you might show up and that's that.
That's how we are. If we see a member come back after a hiatus, it's pretty cool and the worst of it is probably catching up with everyone because everyone is happy to see them.

e: We sort of have an unofficial standing rule where if you want to do a drop in class or something, we don't worry about $$ or membership, just come on in.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah for the most part when I see someone who I haven't seen in a while everyone is like yo buddy!!!

It might be awkward though when the vaccine mandates end if any of those people start showing up again...

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Hi Gang,

semi often lurker and first time poster.

I have some experience in my 20s and early 30s (42 now) doing Dan Zan Ryu and I really liked it. I don't mean to get into a big thing about how arts without rolling are not effective and etc, but I just enjoyed it. Its hard for me to stick to physical activities unless I'm learning something at the same time that I value. I made it through yawara, shime and nage (escapes, grapples, throws) before I found out the guy that ran it had a fairly problematic past and present regarding some sexual things that I don't care to mention passed that and parted with the school.

I have missed it though and it can be hard outside the big cities to find a more traditional dojo since everything now seems to be strip mall BJJ/MMA which isnt really my thing.

Anyways after moving to a new area, I found a trad japanese art spot that is a little under the radar and takes a small number of students on an interview basis and I got accepted and am excited to start.

The particular school is a Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu place with a seemingly forward leaning traditional and modern weapons component. Fun

Anyways the world of martial arts supplies is dizzying and seems like frought with iffy products and grift. The recomendation is at least a 14oz black Gi and tabi socks (indoor).

My question is (sorry for the story time) is there a favored place to get equipment? I'd prefer to buy something once. The weapons and such are provided by the school, just looking for something quality in the 14oz black+ninjaturtle feet socks.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Are there any martial arts supply stores in your area?

I'd try to find something to look at personally and see how it feels. You don't even need to buy it locally, you could just scout out since examples and order something online. A gi is pretty simple in theory but there is a world of sizes and shapes out there.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Basic Poster posted:

Hi Gang,

I have some experience in my 20s and early 30s (42 now) doing Dan Zan Ryu and I really liked it. I don't mean to get into a big thing about how arts without rolling are not effective and etc, but I just enjoyed it. Its hard for me to stick to physical activities unless I'm learning something at the same time that I value. I made it through yawara, shime and nage (escapes, grapples, throws) before I found out the guy that ran it had a fairly problematic past and present regarding some sexual things that I don't care to mention passed that and parted with the school.

I have missed it though and it can be hard outside the big cities to find a more traditional dojo since everything now seems to be strip mall BJJ/MMA which isnt really my thing.

Anyways after moving to a new area, I found a trad japanese art spot that is a little under the radar and takes a small number of students on an interview basis and I got accepted and am excited to start.

The particular school is a Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu place with a seemingly forward leaning traditional and modern weapons component. Fun

Anyways the world of martial arts supplies is dizzying and seems like frought with iffy products and grift. The recomendation is at least a 14oz black Gi and tabi socks (indoor).

My question is (sorry for the story time) is there a favored place to get equipment? I'd prefer to buy something once. The weapons and such are provided by the school, just looking for something quality in the 14oz black+ninjaturtle feet socks.

No apologies for your choice of art. Doin' poo poo is always good so long as you're making your choice for reasons that are true, and it sounds like you are. :justpost: tell us what you're learning and about the fun you're having.

The supplier depends on the country. I order lots of martial arts gear for multiple sports within Canada and both of the wholesalers I've dealt with over the last 5-6 years carry multi-sport gear. I can order more TMA-style stuff right beside muay thai pads and bjj gis. If you put me onto a mission today to get gear for a martial art I'm not familiar with, I'd look for a multi-sport supplier that sells brands I'm familiar with for other sports: I'm a fan of Fuji, Tatami, and Mizuno gis, and I've had good luck with certain Adidas ones too. I like Fairtex, Title, and Ringside striking gear. I'd usually feel confident buying an unfamiliar item from a site that supplies those brands, or at least more confident buying the same unfamilar item from a rando Amazon store.

From what I see about Taijitsu gis on a quick google, they seem similar to BJJ ones in cut. You could probably get a black BJJ gi from a brand like Fuji for not too much. One of the reasons I like Fuji gis is that they don't have much in the way of decals and embroidery on them (along being a good price-quality compromise for an intro one). Judo gis tend to be yet more spartan, but they're not usually available in black. The difference is I'm not sure if Taijitsu "heavy" gis are "heavy" gis compared to grappling gis. 14 oz is ~400 grams, and most standard double weave gis are around 450. Below that is "light." Any BJJ or Judo gi you get will be double weave, and I've only ever seen single-weave karate gis.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Basic Poster posted:

Hi Gang,

I know you have limited choices, but Bujikan ranks quite high on the bullshido scale and there's absolutely nothing traditional about it.
But hey, if you get something out of it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfpIwjtJL0I

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I know you have limited choices, but Bujikan ranks quite high on the bullshido scale and there's absolutely nothing traditional about it.
But hey, if you get something out of it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfpIwjtJL0I

So, I fully get you. But there's also things that have happened to me irl as the result of whatever training I did have that stunned me to this day.

You ever read that book emotional intelligence? The first one? They have this part in there talking about the massive amounts of parallel functions the brain can do. It's a lot of neuro science and the second part is how not to be a dick.

Anyway they use the example of slipping on ice. The instant you start to go, your inner ear recalibrates, a bunch of different chemicals get dumped, heart triples speed with no acceleration, arms and legs instantly move on their own thing rebalance, endorphins are dumped to premptively treat possible incoming pain. Idk, the unconscious mind sure can do a lot of poo poo you don't have voluntary conscious control over. A lot of this kind of stuff with knowing homeboy bout to drop ratan bones on ya is potentially file under that without having to invoke woo woo magic powers. I think a lot of meditative eastern practices are going for that. "Shut up about everything brain so we can do poo poo like when you slip on ice on purpose and without the shock that immediately follows"

But yeah, if it's woo woo bullet in teeth stuff I'll walk.

Or maybe not. This isn't about me going out and whooping rear end or defending muh freedoms with the way of the fist. I just like things that feel arcane enough that it feels ancient and therefore worth doing and having respect for it and keep going back, even if some folks are telling tall tales.

And year everything else (of those I got call backs from) was either like kids TKD or Brazilian mcdojo.

Or akido which was cool but something a little more strenuous is preferred.

CommonShore posted:

No apologies for your choice of art. Doin' poo poo is always good so long as you're making your choice for reasons that are true, and it sounds like you are. :justpost: tell us what you're learning and about the fun you're having.

Thank you these recommendations, I exactly what I was looking for. So much nois out ther and this helped me cut through it.

Great thread, great folks, thanks for having me. I'll tell you guys how it goes, start Sunday. If it's hilarious and woo woo bullshido, I will enjoy telling you guys about it. :)

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook
Ah yes...this should get me taken seriously

https://fujisports.com/products/suparaito-bjj-gi-gamer-series-black-red

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah some BJJ folks are weirdos. I just wear my regular, white, blood-stained gis with a pink rashguard underneath.

Now when you're trying it out here are the things to look out for

1) Major self defense claims, especially self-defense claims against weapons and/or against MMA/"UFC." Lots of the bad TMA clubs are like "We're too deadly for UFC," for example. A little bit of "this will help you survive in a dangerous situation" is good; human weapon/ "used by military" etc is bad.

2) Any kind of no-touch KO/chi/pressure point stuff. If they even insinuate this, just walk - it's a cult. General discussion of "chi" in terms of mindfulness, energy, balance is fine, but chi isn't magic.

3) Contracts and fees: if they don't let you have a cheap or free tryout with no committment, and if they want you to sign up for like 6+ months at a time, that's a major red flag. Same thing with big fees for testing - often "fee for testing" translates to "we give belts to people who pay us for belts." Likewise if they try to sell you some kind of complicated kit of high-priced gear just to try it out. At our muay thai class for example, when it's not a pandemic we let people use house gear as long as they want and people only buy when they feel they want their own stuff.

4) Vibe. You have to like the vibe of the place to train there.

If it doesn't work out, too, keep posting and we'll help you to find something. Eg, my dad was into similar aspects of TMA and he found what he liked in Shotokan Karate, so I suspect that it might likewise be a good fit for you.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

it’s important for everybody to know that i’m a gamer at all times

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

CommonShore posted:

Yeah some BJJ folks are weirdos. I just wear my regular, white, blood-stained gis with a pink rashguard underneath.

Very much appreciate the advice. I will for sure be on the look out for those things. I tend to think the magicization of MA stuff is either the fault of the west or the east capitalizing on the appeal of it, largely through cinema which is great, but then these Rex Kwon Do types.

I did like Dan Zan Ryu even though guy turned out to be almost assuredly a sex pest. So, obvo walked there. There was never rolling, but again, I just like doing something I enjoy and don't ever intend to be some walking registered deadly weapon. There is an intro free class and it's month to month and a two month minimum. So a good gi will probably be more than the intro costs.

The dont sell any equipment and you can buy the traditional weapons from a local affiliated guy who makes them or buy your own. I get the sense the the guy who runs it probably has a day job as there are only two classes a week, and doesn't have anyone else teaching, very small class sizes which seems cool. It's also not like then entire weapons arsenal of the entire Edo period or whatever, there are three or four, so even buying them all would be like 60-100 usd. Doesn't seem like a huge grift but I'll deffo do a trip report and you guys can tell me if it's "sexy weasel pose" garbage or whatever.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Nothing better than the 6ft 2 230lb newb getting rekt by the 135 pound dude in a Nintendo gi.

next round he gets the guy carved out of granite wear the Goku one

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Basic Poster posted:

Very much appreciate the advice. I will for sure be on the look out for those things. I tend to think the magicization of MA stuff is either the fault of the west or the east capitalizing on the appeal of it, largely through cinema which is great, but then these Rex Kwon Do types.

I did like Dan Zan Ryu even though guy turned out to be almost assuredly a sex pest. So, obvo walked there. There was never rolling, but again, I just like doing something I enjoy and don't ever intend to be some walking registered deadly weapon. There is an intro free class and it's month to month and a two month minimum. So a good gi will probably be more than the intro costs.

The dont sell any equipment and you can buy the traditional weapons from a local affiliated guy who makes them or buy your own. I get the sense the the guy who runs it probably has a day job as there are only two classes a week, and doesn't have anyone else teaching, very small class sizes which seems cool. It's also not like then entire weapons arsenal of the entire Edo period or whatever, there are three or four, so even buying them all would be like 60-100 usd. Doesn't seem like a huge grift but I'll deffo do a trip report and you guys can tell me if it's "sexy weasel pose" garbage or whatever.

From that outline that seems like it's an OK club. If I wanted to get into the TMA stuff more again that's the kind of thing I'd look for - someone who just apparently teaches it as a hobby.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
I used to live near a Bujinkan school that explicitly would not teach people with a mental illness. I hope that’s not a pan-Bujinkan policy.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I used to live near a Bujinkan school that explicitly would not teach people with a mental illness. I hope that’s not a pan-Bujinkan policy.

This one doesn't seem to have that rule but they are a part of the federation. Only was asked about f I had felony or violent misdemeanors and any communicable blood diseases.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook
Okay! Here's a small bullshido trip report.

So apparently there USED to be a commercial location this guy ran but since covid he's moved it to his house, and has turned his garage into the dojo.

Not as bad as it sounds. It's small, but very high quality matts and all the gear and equipment and scrolls I can't read and stuff.

There were just two students and there are two existing other ones. He claimed that he likes this a lot better because no business overhead and doesn't have to deal with any walk-ins. Guess some rough customers can walk in off the street.

It was a pretty "not what I'm used to" in terms of TMA buy it seemed like he definitely knew his art and was a pretty good and patient instructor.

I think the main criticism of bunjinkan is that there isnt any rolling, so...you know...very likely not effective. But for me who's looking for a small class or group experience and a TMA thing, I found myself liking it quite a lot. He probably did 20 minutes at the end for a full two hour class talking philosophy about the art and I thought a lot of it was pretty cool and an interesting take on the thought process of what a fight it and blah blah blah. I'm sure it's bullshido and weird to be in a garage and doubley weird that the other guy there, also new, claimed to be "physical penetration tester" who was legit scientist guy from the Simpsons.

Anyways, I'll probably stick with it because it's the only TMA option I've found and mentally interesting enough to make me want to go back. Honestly more about getting out of the house and doing physical activity that isn't boring (I love alone in the woods)

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

My son (8) and I spent last weekend in New Orleans for an Experience Tricking seminar/camp/lock-in thing. He had a friggin BLAST and I got way too drunk the night before with my sister. I really wasn't sold on this thing before, but I think he's going to keep doing this since he was actually pretty good ay everything that they taught and really dug it made a ton of new friends.

I haven't been to class in a month now due to Covid and recovering from that and travels. I'm going to be absolutely HATING life when I start back.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Anyone have a rec for a good judo school in north jersey?

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook
Okay I stand corrected.

Utter and complete bullshido.

Holy moly is it bad. And real dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Verisimilidude posted:

Anyone have a rec for a good judo school in north jersey?

If no one else has a better recommendation you could maybe email Shintaro at information@kokushibudo.com. His dojo is in Manhattan but I'd suppose he'd know.of some good gyms in a neighboring state?