Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

WE! WANT! LEWS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Jedit posted:

We've already seen male channellers hallucinating companions twice - the unnamed guy in the cold open and Logain. It would be interesting if they marked Rand's descent into madness the same way, wrestling with an increasingly less shadowy Lews Therin. It even creates a simple visual metaphor for when Rand accepts that he is Lews Therin and the two of them integrate.

Logain's hallucination was supposed to be a bit more developed. Nobody knows why this poor woman was dropped in favor of the taint puppets.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Aviendha and Elayne just went through the first-sister ceremony. Did they really experience a rebirth via Amys or was that some kinda spiritual bullshit?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hexel posted:

Logain's hallucination was supposed to be a bit more developed. Nobody knows why this poor woman was dropped in favor of the taint puppets.

That dudes eyes are loving haunting.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I just realized this dude at Rand’s academy in Cairhien is building a locomotive. He got a Nikolai Tesla here too making lightning in a jar.

Did Aviendha’s future visions see any of this advanced poo poo or was it all bleak stuff? I seem to recall it being Seanchan focused..

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It was advanced but the Aiel went the way of the Native American. Actually worse, really, the Seanchan all but completely wiped them out.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hexel posted:

I just realized this dude at Rand’s academy in Cairhien is building a locomotive. He got a Nikolai Tesla here too making lightning in a jar.

Did Aviendha’s future visions see any of this advanced poo poo or was it all bleak stuff? I seem to recall it being Seanchan focused..

It comes up later in the series instead.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Hexel posted:

In Avi's vision the Seanchan definitely have some form of rifles, it was all pretty bleak though since it was from the losing side's perspective

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
there was also was what was pretty clearly a car/truck of some sort

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It was advanced but the Aiel went the way of the Native American. Actually worse, really, the Seanchan all but completely wiped them out.

Fortunately they figured out a role for the Aiel and that future was averted.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Regarding the sickness that Rand starts having and dizziness and poo poo when seizing saidin: is that from crossing the streams with Moridin?

“He turned toward the window, to fetch the leather scrip, and a wave of dizziness hit him. Knees turning to water, he stumbled. A shimmering face he could not make out flashed through his head. With an effort, he caught himself, forced his legs straight. And the whirling sensation vanished. Lews Therin panted hoarsely in the shadows. Could the face be his?”

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Hexel posted:

Now we can do the argument about which age we are in now and which Forsaken Trump and Biden are.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hexel posted:

Regarding the sickness that Rand starts having and dizziness and poo poo when seizing saidin: is that from crossing the streams with Moridin?

“He turned toward the window, to fetch the leather scrip, and a wave of dizziness hit him. Knees turning to water, he stumbled. A shimmering face he could not make out flashed through his head. With an effort, he caught himself, forced his legs straight. And the whirling sensation vanished. Lews Therin panted hoarsely in the shadows. Could the face be his?”

Yeah, that or its an early portent of the visions he/Mat/Perrin start sharing when they think of each other.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Hexel posted:

That part was pretty funny in general, just a couple solid pages of "The inventor insisted this printing press was a vast improvement over existing designs; Rand had no loving clue about printing presses, so he just smiled and nodded. Then some other mad scientist's machine caught fire, and"

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The Seanchan in avis visions were called lightbringers and had what were clearly electric lights

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Barreft posted:

oh god you just pinged my brain. that was so drat sad.

e:
“The Wisdom in my village could cure anything,” Rand said as he knelt beside Fedwin. Somehow, he managed to smile at the boy without taking his eyes from Taim. Fedwin smiled back happily and tried to take the cup, but Rand held it for him to drink. “She knows more about herbs than anybody I’ve ever met. I learned a little from her, which are safe, which not.” Fedwin sighed as Rand took the cup away and held the boy to his chest. “Sleep, Fedwin,” Rand murmured.

It did seem that the boy was going to sleep. His eyes closed. His chest rose and fell more slowly. Slower. Until it stopped. The smile never left his lips.

“A little something in the wine,” Rand said softly as he laid Fedwin down. Min’s eyes burned, but she would not cry. She would not!

“You are harder than I thought,” Taim muttered.

Rand smiled at him, a hard feral smile. “Add Corlan Dashiva to your list of deserters, Taim. Next time I visit the Black Tower, I expect to see his head on your Traitor’s Tree.”

“Dashiva?” Taim snarled, his eyes widening in surprise. “It will be as you say. When next you visit the Black Tower.” That quickly, he recovered himself, all polished stone and poise once more. How she wished she could read her viewings of him.

“Return to the Black Tower, and don’t come here again.” Standing, Rand faced the other man over Fedwin’s body. “I may be moving about for a while.”

Taim’s bow was minuscule. “As you command.”

As the door closed behind him, Min let out a long breath.

“No point wasting time, and no time to waste,” Rand muttered. Kneeling in front of her, he took the crown and slipped it into the scrip with the other things. “Min, I thought I was the whole pack of hounds, chasing down one wolf after another, but it seems I’m the wolf.”

“Burn you,” she breathed. Tangling both hands in his hair, she stared in his eyes. Now blue, now gray, a morning sky just at sunrise. And dry. “You can cry, Rand al’Thor. You won’t melt if you cry!”

“I don’t have time for tears, either, Min,” he said gently. “Sometimes, the hounds catch the wolf and wish they hadn’t. Sometimes, he turns on them, or waits in ambush. But first, the wolf has to run.”

“When do we go?” she asked. She did not let go of his hair. She was never going to let go of him. Never.

Just got to this part in my reread and it was gut wrenching. If the show gets this far, they have to include this scene

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Killer robot posted:

That part was pretty funny in general, just a couple solid pages of "The inventor insisted this printing press was a vast improvement over existing designs; Rand had no loving clue about printing presses, so he just smiled and nodded. Then some other mad scientist's machine caught fire, and"

For all his faults, Rand really understands leadership ever since his trek through the portal stones with Hurin and Loial. Put on the face people expect, be the thing they need even as it kills you inside

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

For all his faults, Rand really understands leadership ever since his trek through the portal stones with Hurin and Loial. Put on the face people expect, be the thing they need even as it kills you inside

Alternatively,

M - do the things they need even as you tell them you really really don’t want to be doing it

P - sit in contemplation, suddenly stand and explain the solution, leave

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

DarkHorse posted:

I think it's more that Rand's just happy to see that they are creating things. He doesn't really care what they're making. He knows how much destruction he has caused already and will cause in the future, and he's just happy to know that the academy is a positive mark he has made on the world. That he is, in some way, responsible for making things as well as breaking things.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Killer robot posted:

I think that's the same part where there's some new farming tech and he gets really excited about it and wants to check out the planting techniques but something comes up and he has to leave. I forget exactly when that happens but it struck me as this really weirdly wholesome moment in between Deep Pain and WTF Are These Nerds Doing With Steam

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Thank you RJ, for letting us know that Elayne and Birgitte’s periods synced up because of the warder bond

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Hexel posted:

That’s a drat shame, she looks cool as hell.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm genuinely looking forward to getting to those bits in the reread where Rand's overconfidence and dumb actions catch up to him because on my first time through I kept being absolutely put off by all these scenes of this 18 year old kid suddenly being an expert in naval warfare and farming and international politics and also a master ninja and whole nations just slobbering over his every pronouncement like he's fuckin Kim Jong-Un

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Data Graham posted:

I'm genuinely looking forward to getting to those bits in the reread where Rand's overconfidence and dumb actions catch up to him because on my first time through I kept being absolutely put off by all these scenes of this 18 year old kid suddenly being an expert in naval warfare and farming and international politics and also a master ninja and whole nations just slobbering over his every pronouncement like he's fuckin Kim Jong-Un

In TSR as they're traveling through the waste he notes a few times that Moiraine is constantly making info dumps into his brain about this kind of stuff.

I never noticed that on my first read through.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Minor season 2 news: filming took place recently at a chateau in the town of Chlumec nad Cidlinou.

The marble main hall was utilized along with some kind of grand marble seat. This looks like Barthanes crib to me.

https://www.wotseries.com/2022/02/07/filming-at-chateau-karlova-koruna-other-updates/

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Hexel posted:

In TSR as they're traveling through the waste he notes a few times that Moiraine is constantly making info dumps into his brain about this kind of stuff.

I never noticed that on my first read through.

Yeah, prior to him leaning on Lews Therin to become the greatest male channeller in the world, Rand is never really presented as being an expert at anything. His insecurities as leader are kind of the point of books 2-5. He knows little of war, which is why he sticks Rhuarc and Bashere in charge of his armies as soon as he has armies. There's the part in TSR where he's lecturing the High Lords on taxation and crop rotation that can come across a little weird on first reading, but what's actually happening there is that the Lords are being deliberately obtuse; they loving know they're squeezing the peasants dry and they're willfully misunderstanding his pronouncements in the hopes that they can go back to the status quo when the Dragon is off in Illian fighting.

The only thing Rand's genuinely an expert on in his own right is swordfighting, and that's partly having excellent teachers and partly practice and desperation.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

RandolphCarter posted:

That’s a drat shame, she looks cool as hell.

It's possible she was meant to be the sister the taint puppets mentioned.

Logain was apparently supposed to have a bit of backstory based on these deleted scenes from the amazon x-ray. I believe these scenes are showing his first manifestations of touching the source. He was a minor noble we know from the books and in the bottom left image he appears to be walking and talking with a man and woman but the man is holding and concealing a knife, then in the bottom right image it looks like he uses the one power to defend himself after being attacked with the knife.

Hopefully in some future AMA or interview people will ask Judkins what these scenes were. They're interesting as gently caress to me.

Hexel fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 8, 2022

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

There's the part in TSR where he's lecturing the High Lords on taxation and crop rotation

This is also because "He's been spending a ton of time with Elayne, and they're not fuckin EVERY hour of the day." She explicitly teaches him a bunch of that stuff.

Hexel posted:

It's possible she was meant to be the sister the taint puppets mentioned.

Logain was apparently supposed to have a bit of backstory based on these deleted scenes from the amazon x-ray. I believe these scenes are showing his first manifestations of touching the source. He was a minor noble we know from the books and in the bottom left image he appears to be walking and talking with a man and woman but the man is holding and concealing a knife, then in the bottom right image it looks like he uses the one power to defend himself after being attacked with the knife.

Hopefully in some future AMA or interview people will ask Judkins what these scenes were. They're interesting as gently caress to me.

Yeah, Logain's expanded story is one of the best things about the show and I'd be super down to see more of it. maybe in flashbacks?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Gwaihir posted:

Yeah, Logain's expanded story is one of the best things about the show and I'd be super down to see more of it. maybe in flashbacks?

It's possible these scenes will eventually make it into the show they seem to have went to a lot of effort with complex and ornate locations. Even the Egwene paint pool scene which featured so heavily in promos.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Logain's character (and the Black Tower in general) being sidelined really badly is one of my least favorite parts of the books and, while I have my problems with the show, I would be extremely happy to see the show correct that.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Yeah, prior to him leaning on Lews Therin to become the greatest male channeller in the world, Rand is never really presented as being an expert at anything. His insecurities as leader are kind of the point of books 2-5. He knows little of war, which is why he sticks Rhuarc and Bashere in charge of his armies as soon as he has armies. There's the part in TSR where he's lecturing the High Lords on taxation and crop rotation that can come across a little weird on first reading, but what's actually happening there is that the Lords are being deliberately obtuse; they loving know they're squeezing the peasants dry and they're willfully misunderstanding his pronouncements in the hopes that they can go back to the status quo when the Dragon is off in Illian fighting.

The only thing Rand's genuinely an expert on in his own right is swordfighting, and that's partly having excellent teachers and partly practice and desperation.

He's a farmer/sheep herder too, so crop rotation and stuff like that would be stuff he would likely know.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Siuan doesn't know much about war or politics or agriculture, but if there's ever a fishing crisis, boy howdy

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Data Graham posted:

Siuan doesn't know much about war or politics or agriculture, but if there's ever a fishing crisis, boy howdy

All of Randland is a fishing crisis :boom:

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Will Billy Zane be playing Moridin?

He better be doing something. He might make a good Demandred.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

seaborgium posted:

He better be doing something. He might make a good Demandred.

Let him cameo as Belal

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

goethe.cx posted:

Thank you RJ, for letting us know that Elayne and Birgitte’s periods synced up because of the warder bond

What's that you say? An eternal amalgamation of a heroic ideal that resides entirely in the dream world and was ripped directly out of it still menstruates? Sure my man RJ

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Democratic Pirate posted:

Alternatively,

M - do the things they need even as you tell them you really really don’t want to be doing it

P - sit in contemplation, suddenly stand and explain the solution, leave

M - Have so little understanding of yourself that you constantly find yourself doing the exact opposite of what you thought you were doing

P - forget that you are a huge loving unit and casually terrify people with the feats of strength you perform while you're distracted trying to solve things delicately

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Josha posted a group photo to his insta today. Nobody we didn’t know about in here but it is the first time we’ve seen Natasha O’Keeffe and Arnas Fedaravičius with the cast.

https://twitter.com/geekyeri/status/1491165846789832704?s=21

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Reminded of this in the meme thread and I couldn't help but think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YersIyzsOpc&t=79s

'Cut off from the True Source, still able to sense its presence, but unable ever again to reach it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Speaking of memes: Anytime the cast drops a photo on social media