Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

tehinternet posted:

Are there any decent TV price aggregator sites?

https://www.rtings.com/tv/deals is kind of useful. But annoying that they hardly ever post the tv's size, just the model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Escobarbarian posted:

A couple things I’m not a fan of with the C1 or maybe just need guidance with:

- I can’t seem to find any Bluetooth options, or way to stop other devices connecting to my TV. With my last TV, it asked me if I wanted to accept or deny them, but with this one my housemate accidentally connected to it and it just…..played whatever YouTube video he was trying to show his wife without asking me.

On my C1 it asks for permission the first time any device is connected; he's probably used your TV before. There is an option to delete the connection history, but it looks like it deletes all the history with no option to select individual devices.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Rusty posted:

I feel like this is a monthly post for you where you say this and people post a list of reasons and then you say the same thing a month later. Like maybe you disagree, but people keep giving you more than that reason.

Lol yep it absolutely is. Here's my reply to them the last time they brought it up:

Butterfly Valley posted:

They gave you a load of reasons last time you were weird about this itt.

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

Space Racist posted:

Have you tried plugging the Apple TV directly to the C1 and sending audio to the receiver via eARC?

I’ll give that a shot, thanks!

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

Grimmeh posted:

I’ll give that a shot, thanks!
This seems to have done the trick for now. I lose the benefit of seeing the on-screen volume and info overlay from the receiver, but that’s fine!

Thanks again.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Grimmeh posted:

This seems to have done the trick for now. I lose the benefit of seeing the on-screen volume and info overlay from the receiver, but that’s fine!

Thanks again.

Glad to help. I know how frustrating sync issues can be after pulling my hair out troubleshooting it with my blu ray player a few months ago. Once I got my Denon receiver (the mythical S760H, same as yours), eARC’ing audio through the TV solved all my problems.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Did anyone else's LG OLED get a software update recently? Mine did like a week ago and now when I turn on the TV using the included remote and choose my Apple TV 4K input it doesn't automatically turn on the ATV like it used to. I'm guessing CEC is broke or something?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

mattfl posted:

Did anyone else's LG OLED get a software update recently? Mine did like a week ago and now when I turn on the TV using the included remote and choose my Apple TV 4K input it doesn't automatically turn on the ATV like it used to. I'm guessing CEC is broke or something?
I've yet to hear it mentioned as an issue on /r/LGOLED, but maybe it just moved the setting and disabled it in the process?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sometimes I have to turn the CEC setting off and back on again on my Apple TV.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

CEC has gotten weird for me in the past week as well.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It is an inevitability.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

EDIT: Found the Hisense R6090G. That may be better for my needs since the strongest system I play is a Switch so I don't need 120Hz refresh or anything yet.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 4, 2022

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Wow LG managed to break CEC even more?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I'm torn between the C1 and the G1...is the G1 so thin that it makes it fragile if I'm installing it on an extending wall mount and not flush mounted?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Probably not but don't buy a G1 (which is engineered for Maximum Flatness) to put it on a movable mount.

Save money and get the C2 for more brightness! :retrogames:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

LorneReams posted:

I'm torn between the C1 and the G1...is the G1 so thin that it makes it fragile if I'm installing it on an extending wall mount and not flush mounted?

I put a 65" G1 on a - 15" from the wall - full motion mount back in early November and it's been fine so far. :newlol:

It is definitely thin and fragile though, and you will need 2+ people on call to deal with it.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
This 77” C1 Is pretty fuckin rad

Going from a 5 year old TCL 4 series to this has been wild.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

tehinternet posted:

This 77” C1 Is pretty fuckin rad

Going from a 5 year old TCL 4 series to this has been wild.

This. But from an 11 year old plasma. We need a 77” C1 gang tag

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

LorneReams posted:

And keep strong fans away from the edges. :v:

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

LorneReams posted:

Don't be me and miss that in the US the G1 only comes with the mounting bracket and no feet (All reviewers seemed to get the feet included and who reads the box???). I'd rather have it mounted but the location it's being set up can't mount to the wall. Had to pay $100 for the official feet (which were also for the GX) since all other third party feet/stands cost more for an ok substitute might as well get the real thing. Also they are shockingly out of stock everywhere for an optional part, had to get lucky with a local big box that was an hour away.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

minusX posted:

Don't be me and miss that in the US the G1 only comes with the mounting bracket and no feet (All reviewers seemed to get the feet included and who reads the box???). I'd rather have it mounted but the location it's being set up can't mount to the wall. Had to pay $100 for the official feet (which were also for the GX) since all other third party feet/stands cost more for an ok substitute might as well get the real thing. Also they are shockingly out of stock everywhere for an optional part, had to get lucky with a local big box that was an hour away.

High end goods that cheap out on dumb poo poo like that are infuriating.

Here’s your $1,200 phone with no charger brick! Here’s your $5,000 TV with no stand!

I could see doing that with budget tier stuff, but why alienate your customers like that

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The G1 is literally designed to be flat-mounted. IIRC it's called a gallery piece screen or something.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.

FilthyImp posted:

The G1 is literally designed to be flat-mounted. IIRC it's called a gallery piece screen or something.
Yeah it's meant to look like art you have up in the room and be as flush as possible (but doesn't come with the back plate to hold the cables as nicely away, you need the stand kit for that which still is confusing that's not included with that added). And I get that idea and design, but it's also the better panel (slightly/without the luck roll on the C1) and has the burn in warranty on that model which should help fight the "wait for the A2/C2/G2" twang where I'll just never upgrade anything because something new is coming out. Plus with the warranty it was almost the same cost as C1 + BB warranty.

The cost of including the feet for them would not be much more than $5 a unit that's already being sold at $2500+, even if a lot of people wouldn't be using it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I understand the whole "But if I buy the Model X now, in 4 years the Model eX+Alpha will have 4d Pixels!" argument but the C2 will have the brighter Evo panel and be clad in carbon Fibre to make it lighter and that's only like 2-3 months away.

Though I can't fault you if you find a good superbowl deal. Just seems like in the case of using a motion mount, the C series is a better use of money.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 8, 2022

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

I understand the whole "But if I buy the Model X now, in 4 years the Model eX+Alpha will have 4d Pixels!" argument but the C2 will have the brighter Evo panel and be clad in carbon Fibre to make it lighter and that's only like 2-3 months away.

Though I can't fault you if you find a good superbowl deal. Just seems like in the case of using a motion mount, the C series is a better use of money.
Yeah, $2300 vs ~$3000 (G1 65" launch price expecting about the same) when it comes out. A C2 at $2500 is likely fine, but that isn't including warranty which is going to be 500+ and that's also March when it starts being out. Add in there might have some first wave lemons until they get stuff sorted so like July before it's really ok to nab it without the return shuffle being annoying because stock is low? And then well if you can wait until Black Friday you can get a discount and-

Obviously there's never a perfect time because there's always the new stuff soon(TM), but I think I'm settled into a good set of features and timing that it's ok, and I get I'm slightly extending the perfect use case, but they also didn't tell all the reviewers "make sure you only test everything mounted, that's the expected use case or at LEAST tell people that" so they expect it to have some use this other way.

At least I'm not trying to like, use it as a floor tile and upset no weight can get on it ever. I do wish they did the thing my Samsung has with an One Connect box that has external set of HDMI ports since they expect to have this thing flush to a wall, the idea of having to handle something so thin on and off the wall over and over again to replace cables would be scary to me.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Exactly, I'm looking at like $2000 for a G1, but I guess a TV is not a huge priority so I can wait for the C2...it was really the brightness that I was looking for.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

LorneReams posted:

Exactly, I'm looking at like $2000 for a G1, but I guess a TV is not a huge priority so I can wait for the C2...it was really the brightness that I was looking for.

If you need brightness get Samsung Terrace.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Looking around for a new TV, figured I'd stop by for some advice.

My living room has some bright light issues around dusk so that seems to take OLEDs off the table. I like football, and watch a lot of sports so something decent for that and videogames is a plus. We've had our current TV for 8 years, so something decently future proofed would be nice. That TV has kind of sucked, LG LF6000, so I'm hopeful to be getting a substantial upgrade. Dumb TVs seem to be no longer an option but if any are out there that would be a bonus.

This is what I've found via some cursory internet sleuthing. https://www.costco.com/sony-65%22-class---x81ch-series---4k-uhd-led-lcd-tv.product.100757644.html

Why would I be stupid to buy this TV?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Why would I be stupid to buy this TV?

The brightness upgrade this TV offers over an OLED when watching sports is miniscule and it lacks all modern gaming features like 120hz, VRR or ALLM.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

My living room has some bright light issues around dusk so that seems to take OLEDs off the table.

It doesn't. OLEDs are not dim. OLEDs are brighter than plasma TVs were. In SDR content (as in: all sports) OLEDs are just as bright as LCDs are. The only time OLEDs are dimmer is when comparing peak HDR brightness vs. LCD, and to be honest I can't imagine wanting something brighter than what my OLED can put out.

Our OLED is in a room with a west-facing window and it's fine, even at sunset.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Tricky Ed posted:

It doesn't. OLEDs are not dim. OLEDs are brighter than plasma TVs were. In SDR content (as in: all sports) OLEDs are just as bright as LCDs are. The only time OLEDs are dimmer is when comparing peak HDR brightness vs. LCD, and to be honest I can't imagine wanting something brighter than what my OLED can put out.

I was surprised as hell at how much brighter my C1s are than my five year old TCL 4 series was.

I figured it would be not great so far as brightness is concerned but the first time I turned our bedroom TV on at night our room lit up.

Side note: I think the coolest non picture feature of new TVs is pairing Bluetooth audio and it actually being in sync

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Tricky Ed posted:

That's my exact situation. Good to know that's the not actually an issue for OLEDs.

Slig
Mar 30, 2010
I'm looking for recommendations on a 4K (please talk me out of 8K) TV primarily for gaming (PS5/Switch/PC) in the 60 or 65 inch range. I figure anything good for that would also be plenty good for streaming movies and shows. I'm kind of wary on OLEDs cause of the possibility of burn in but I'm not sure how realistic that possibility is.

Not worried too much about cost, just want something that's high quality and will last.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I have an oled from 2019. I’ve done massive amounts of gaming on it. Hundreds of hours of a static hud. Zero burn in. I know I’m one guy but a bunch of folks in here have the same experience.

I don’t think burn in is something you need to worry about.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Slig posted:

I'm looking for recommendations on a 4K (please talk me out of 8K) TV primarily for gaming (PS5/Switch/PC) in the 60 or 65 inch range. I figure anything good for that would also be plenty good for streaming movies and shows. I'm kind of wary on OLEDs cause of the possibility of burn in but I'm not sure how realistic that possibility is.

Not worried too much about cost, just want something that's high quality and will last.

4K content is barely mainstream and it’s been around for what, nearly ten years? 8K is still a wayyyyy off of anywhere near mainstream adoption. Shoot, isn’t the Super Bowl still in 1080p this year? Video cards can’t push that resolution at playable framerates — the only reason for an 8K TV is to say you have an 8K TV. Which is not a reason to get an 8K TV.

There’s no reason to get an 8K TV in 2022. Say it with me, buddy. There’s no reason to get an 8K in 2022.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Slig posted:

LG C1 is the best gaming TV you can get right now.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
And what TV is comparable for 1000 dollars less?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

The Puppy Bowl posted:

And what TV is comparable for 1000 dollars less?

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-price/under-1000

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Anyone have any tips or guidelines to setting backlight levels on a LED?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Probably less a right/wrong thing, but more preference. I assume you aren't asking how. Rtings might have some suggested levels for your set