Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bunnyofdoom)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

https://twitter.com/Stockwell_Day/status/1490693888448757761

hey everyone, the homophobe has something to say to us about our "bigotry"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

i honestly can't even tell at this point if those are the racist or the solidarity brackets the way stockwell day and twitter are these days

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

flakeloaf posted:

Canada's a big place! I remember seeing some quick polls yesterday, asking if we were happy that this guy was the new leader, and I made a mental note to pop in here to see what this guy was because that's often easier than trying to figure it out on my own because lol if wiki and the sun are going to give us the whole picture.

He's not going to be elected premier, is he.

The Liberals getting back in would require the NDP loving up somewhere and giving them an opening, and as bad as the NDP is they haven't given the Libs anything to run against Horgan on yet (that is, they've done bad stuff, but it's often stuff the Liberals would want to do on purpose anyway). Somehow COVID wasn't enough to turn people off the NDP (and to the Liberals' credit, there doesn't seem to be much appetite for going gonzo anti-vaxx at the top of the party). Also Horgan's sympathetic right now because of the cancer. So not anytime soon, no.

On the other hand it's a few years until the next election anyway, and he's waited this long to take over the party, so he might as well be a little more patient and see how the NDP screws up next.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

MNIMWA posted:

https://twitter.com/Justin_Ling/status/1490811201089159170

Another cool, normal list of demands from the occupiers. Calling for the GG to uh remove the PM and Environment Minister (weird that he's the second one they name), Chief Health "Minister" Teresa Tam (not her job title), Horgan, Singh, Blanchet (??) and for a vote of non-confidence to be brought (?) against them.

Also just a ton of weird pseudo science and magic thinking, odd grammar and spelling, and an invocation of the Nuremberg Code and Helsinki Accords. Candice Bergen and Jim Watson are right - when will the PM extend an olive branch to these people???

Who's bringing the non-confidence vote and against whom if they're all resigning? Did they just play parliamentary bingo or something?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

infernal machines posted:

Who's bringing the non-confidence vote and against whom if they're all resigning? Did they just play parliamentary bingo or something?

For people who live waving Canadian flags around like crazy they sure don't know how government works.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

Madkal posted:

For people who live waving Canadian flags around like crazy they sure don't know how government works.

When you think of it like a baby rattle, it makes more sense.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Madkal posted:

We put that flag up at Vimy Ridge and Waterloo you better loving respect it or else :argh:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Madkal posted:

we are a remarkably ignorant country, and we grew up on american procedurals.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

god I'm watching the emergency debate. why do I like pain so much. this is pure torture.

Marty Crane
Oct 16, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

This isn't going to be a good post but here we go.

On the one hand, I totally get the anger. If you come from a small town of <2,000 people, Covid basically doesn't exist for you. It doesn't make sense to close down every single business if there are 3 sick people in your whole town. (you know who's sick because it's a tiny town and everybody knows everybody).

I'm in that boat. I was pissed when Ford closed down everything in January, because that meant I was out of a wage for a whole month. I know my business had no effect on the overall case numbers. The biggest problems were large gatherings. i.e. sports leagues, and large concerts. A single dojo ended up closing every single school in Barrhaven at one point. Another peewee hockey tournament had the same effect. Bars and restaurants were very careful with their contact tracing, and I know firsthand there were a few crackdowns after restrictions were lifted to make sure restaurants weren't slacking. But somewhere along the line, agreeing with this line of thinking meant accepting the fact that vaccines are big-pharma's attempt to rewrite your genetic code.

There is a genuine reason to be angry. But the far-right and alt-right has gotten so good at co-opting this sense of outrage and channelling it towards their anti-establishment libertarian bullshit. I don't see how it's possible to approach these groups of people and be like, "Hey, I know these health measures aren't popular, but you have to consider X and X." Because the minute you do, you're being yelled down that you're catering to Big Pharma or kneeling to some Zionist conspiracy.

tl;dr we're hosed as a society and every province should secede

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Development posted:

god I'm watching the emergency debate. why do I like pain so much. this is pure torture.

Hey, me too!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Marty Crane posted:

It doesn't make sense to close down every single business if there are 3 sick people in your whole town. (you know who's sick because it's a tiny town and everybody knows everybody).

How'd they get sick?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
It's still going on?

Jesus wept

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

apatheticman posted:

It's still going on?

Jesus wept

Gonna have to be more specific. There are a lot of bad ongoing things.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Marty Crane posted:

On the one hand, I totally get the anger. If you come from a small town of <2,000 people, Covid basically doesn't exist for you. It doesn't make sense to close down every single business if there are 3 sick people in your whole town. (you know who's sick because it's a tiny town and everybody knows everybody).

Your post overall isn't too far off the mark, but covid absolutely ravaged all the small towns in Alberta. Relative isolation saves you for a while, but not forever. Then like fools they refused to get the vaccine. "Why should I take preventative measures to avoid something that could happen in the future!?"

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Madkal posted:

MA-Horus posted:

It's truly amazing how well these folks have demonstrated that they know essentially nothing about how government in this country works, and imagine it to be just like it is in the U.S., except that they've also demonstrated that they know essentially nothing about how government works there, either.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Powershift posted:

Gonna have to be more specific. There are a lot of bad ongoing things.

House of commons debate

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Marty Crane posted:

But somewhere along the line, agreeing with this line of thinking meant accepting the fact that vaccines are big-pharma's attempt to rewrite your genetic code.
You lost lost lost me on that line and I refuse to hear another word about your 'big pharma' spiel. SO WHAT IF YOUR CODE IS REWRITTEN YOU'RE STILL YOU.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
They're saying that idiots equate their seemingly reasonable gripes with the restrictions with crazy anti-vaxx conspiracy poo poo

Marty Crane
Oct 16, 2012

Bleck posted:

How'd they get sick?

I dunno. It's a hypothetical, so however you want. Maybe a family had somebody visit from somewhere else. Maybe the local bartender was asymptomatic and ended up spreading it to everybody in the small village. But you still have people's livelihoods hanging in the balance. I would've put a bullet through my head if it wasn't for CERB. I'm not saying these people who are parading downtown are valid in their reaction, but I can certainly understand where a portion of this anger is coming from. And I can see why some people are willing to give them lip-service.

To be clear, I'm not talking about people who are marching with them. I'm talking about the lay-person who says, "Well I can see where they're coming from." My main question is, how do we undermine this support and direct it towards a more constructive form of activism?

PittTheElder posted:

Your post overall isn't too far off the mark, but covid absolutely ravaged all the small towns in Alberta. Relative isolation saves you for a while, but not forever. Then like fools they refused to get the vaccine. "Why should I take preventative measures to avoid something that could happen in the future!?"

Yeah, this is more or less what I'm getting at. How do you combat this anti-vaxx poo poo. At what point did being right-wing become synonymous with the anti-vaxx movement? Pierre Polievre is able to walk in front of them and lose some moderate support, but gain the fervent right votes. If Watson had tried to negotiate with them, what would the blowback have been? Part of me wonders if Trudeau's reticence to dialogue with these protesters is because he'll lose way more than Polievre could gain. If Sloly had taken a hardline stance akin to the G20 protests in Toronto, what would the blowback have been? I mean yeah these are pointless what-if questions, but at the same time you have to wonder. Especially since the main OPS station at Elgin had a loving bomb threat today.

Marty Crane
Oct 16, 2012

Grouchio posted:

You lost lost lost me on that line and I refuse to hear another word about your 'big pharma' spiel. SO WHAT IF YOUR CODE IS REWRITTEN YOU'RE STILL YOU.

is this a joke? I didn't say anything about Big Pharma other than it's a common fallback line for anti-vaxxers.

They're saying that idiots equate their seemingly reasonable gripes with the restrictions with crazy anti-vaxx conspiracy poo poo

yeah, this is what I mean Grouchio.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Marty Crane posted:

Especially since the main OPS station at Elgin had a loving bomb threat today.

which was phoned in from Ohio.

So how does the right disentangle itself from the conspiracy bullshit and vaccinate its base along the way?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

tagesschau posted:

It's truly amazing how well these folks have demonstrated that they know essentially nothing about how government in this country works, and imagine it to be just like it is in the U.S., except that they've also demonstrated that they know essentially nothing about how government works there, either.

My fave is some idiot I used to go to college with calling Trudeau a dictator while at the same time wanting to Trudeau to override all the province's health mandates and somehow declare American laws null and void.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Marty Crane posted:

is this a joke? I didn't say anything about Big Pharma other than it's a common fallback line for anti-vaxxers.

yeah, this is what I mean Grouchio.
Sorry read that wrong. :nyoron:

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
If you are a friend of an antivaxxer and they believe that your genetic code is being rewritten do you have a friendship of theseus?

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

apatheticman posted:

If you are a friend of an antivaxxer and they believe that your genetic code is being rewritten do you have a friendship of theseus?

I hate you more than racist truckers hate trudeau that was beautiful

Marty Crane
Oct 16, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Sorry read that wrong. :nyoron:

all good brotendo64

flakeloaf posted:

which was phoned in from Ohio.

So how does the right disentangle itself from the conspiracy bullshit and vaccinate its base along the way?

See the question for me is, how can we disentangle the right from this poo poo and turn them left? In my mind, a certain block of the right-wing are people who are being blatantly manipulated into supporting anti-union, pro-libertarian bullshit that doesn't work in modern society. The right has no interest in disentangling itself from this because they can pull funds from education and healthcare, and push them towards whatever their interests are. They can openly manipulate their voter blocks and push them towards an anti-intellectual, quasi-anti-establishment route along the way. If they had any interest in this, we wouldn't be seeing the Conservative leader posing with these dumbass "protesters". This is pretty much what O'Toole said in a series of tweets the day before he got voted out.

The series of tweets in question: https://twitter.com/erinotoole/status/1488367553684676615?s=20&t=TWgGIdkzGtAJVoVlvBx57Q

Marty Crane fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 8, 2022

Marty Crane
Oct 16, 2012
fake edit: I cannot believe I just unironically sourced a tweet from Erin O'Toole.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Marty Crane posted:

Part of me wonders if Trudeau's reticence to dialogue with these protesters is because he'll lose way more than Polievre could gain.

Trudeau doesn't dialogue with them because there is no dialogue to be had. They don't have a cause or demands to rally behind, just an ultimatum to overthrow a legitimately elected government. Don't forget that before covid was even a thing, they were throwing the same temper tantrums about everything they disagreed with, like the carbon tax. That message was already being coopted by the far right, claiming the carbon tax is the work of the Jewish establishment, etc etc.

My only surprise at this point is that despite all the American politics cargo culting going on, they have yet to claim at large scale that the elections were rigged.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Jan posted:

Trudeau doesn't dialogue with them because there is no dialogue to be had.

"What are your demands?"

"gently caress TRUDEAU!" (but replacing one character with a maple leaf, on the mass produced flag you bought from China, because that's all very clever)

"Could you be a bit more clear?"

"FREEDOM!"

I'm actually really angry about all this, it's just hosed on so many interacting levels. Gah. I'll cool it off.

But guess I'm liberating more flags next weekend, gently caress me.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I mean, they have their moonbat manifesto demanding that the Senate and the Governor General of Canada get rid of all health mandates, but that doesn't even make sense with how the government works, so...

That said, I get the sense that in theory, HM Lizzie 2 could instruct her federal and provincial governors general to override the elected governments at all levels. But even assuming you could persuade her that this was a good idea, it would very likely have the effect of fast-tracking Canada from being a constitutional monarchy to a more garden-variety democracy.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MA-Horus posted:

Mandatory viewings of Street Legal and Murdoch Mysteries in Canadian classrooms? You have my axe

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
Mr. Marty Crane I feel a lot of what you're saying and the frustrations that follow.

When you get down to it, the people on 'the right' are essentially hurting by and want the same things solved we do - we all want restrictions to be lifted(I would have rather we were able to use restrictions by dumping tons of money and pay raises into hospitals and stuff to expand services - a pipe dream, I know), we're all hurting economically, and we all see the government (and it's various levels, of which some people have a better understanding than others) as ineffectual and basically protecting everything but the laypersons interest.

So even if our frustrations are the same, what we see as a viable solution is wildly different. The 'right' and 'left' have effectively been divided and conquered by the upper classes, and the rest of the 'middle class' is just trying to hold on to property they own. We're too busy fighting amongst ourselves to look upwards, etc.
(right, left, middle class, etc here are all vague and broad terms but I'm sure you get what I mean.)

All this being said, unifying and raising up as a collective would be a gently caress of a lot easier if there weren't nazis and racists all over one side.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

While this is funny, I don't think it's going to make any headway. The ROC team also wore masks for the majority of the game. The masks are just representative of the supposed lack of freedom, it's not really about the masks. Hell, it's not really even about vaccine mandates.
Perhaps just for the weirdos that have talked about masks killing you from something something carbon dioxide overload?

On the other hand, I think that particular strain of anti-maskness died out a bit ago. I haven't heard anyone reference the "health implications" of masks for a while now. It's mostly just about yelling FREEDOM at this point.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
So have our exalted leadership actually committed to doing anything about people loving up my city or is this my new new normal

gently caress this country honestly

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

We've decided to cede Ottawa to the truckers. It's theirs now. A nation within a nation.

I'm sorry you had to find out like this.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

We've decided to cede Ottawa to the truckers. It's theirs now. A nation within a nation.

I'm sorry you had to find out like this.

:negative:

I’ll try to assimilate but presume I will be executed shortly when I fail to grasp the chud dialect :canada:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The Conservatives love this - here's a picture of Maga Bergen out with some good ol truckers the other night!

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
A win for the occupation:
https://twitter.com/glen_mcgregor/status/1491055138764738562?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Vintersorg posted:

The Conservatives love this - here's a picture of Maga Bergen out with some good ol truckers the other night!

She's from rural Manitoba so it's never obvious who is a redneck trucker and who is a lawyer or doctor in photos like that.