Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
They look just the ticket, and won't require me to sell a kidney.

Thanks heaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Ebay is also real loving expensive lately. The Facebook groups are a lot more reasonable since it's hobbyists selling to each other directly and not resellers buying everything to drive up prices.

Look for "Oldhammer" and "Middlehammer" depending on what era you're looking for. The former is typically through the 80s and is often where you see pre-slotta stuff, but people often list in both.

PayPal and other intermediaries also changed their rules and now report transactions to the IRS as income so that's likely to affect the market somewhat as well.

Wargames Atlantic, North Star, Warlord, and whoever makes Oathmark also all have fantasy ranges though I'm not sure if they have Dwarves specifically. Mantic is probably the safest bet.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

Ebay is also real loving expensive lately. The Facebook groups are a lot more reasonable since it's hobbyists selling to each other directly and not resellers buying everything to drive up prices.

Look for "Oldhammer" and "Middlehammer" depending on what era you're looking for. The former is typically through the 80s and is often where you see pre-slotta stuff, but people often list in both.

PayPal and other intermediaries also changed their rules and now report transactions to the IRS as income so that's likely to affect the market somewhat as well.

Wargames Atlantic, North Star, Warlord, and whoever makes Oathmark also all have fantasy ranges though I'm not sure if they have Dwarves specifically. Mantic is probably the safest bet.

Cheers. I know it's never been a particularly cheap hobby but single figurines going for £30+ seems a bit expensive.

I binned Facebook a few years ago but will have a look at those companies mentioned.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Also Etsy for 3D printed sculpts. the variety is astonishing

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey by the way, I doubt this will be the case, but are there any 3D print sellers (or webstores, or what have you. I don't discriminate) who do large, irregular shaped bases in a similar style to GW bases? I know there are people who print GW bases directly, but I'm more thinking of larger size (like their 120-170mm oval bases) but with a more irregular shape, like more of a 'C' shape or other protrustions, etc.

Since as part of some terrain a friend and I are sorting out for AT, I'm doing a bunch of snowy forest sections. I've got a bunch of trees and some large GW bases ready to go, but I would very much like to have some shapes that aren't perfectly symmetrical ovals to have trees on. My friend suggested just cutting out card, but eh I feel that wouldn't be particularly secure in storage (since I'm gonna blu tack them to the bottom of a large container, with other AT stuff. I feel they'll get a bit bent before long)

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Major Isoor posted:

Hey by the way, I doubt this will be the case, but are there any 3D print sellers (or webstores, or what have you. I don't discriminate) who do large, irregular shaped bases in a similar style to GW bases? I know there are people who print GW bases directly, but I'm more thinking of larger size (like their 120-170mm oval bases) but with a more irregular shape, like more of a 'C' shape or other protrustions, etc.

Since as part of some terrain a friend and I are sorting out for AT, I'm doing a bunch of snowy forest sections. I've got a bunch of trees and some large GW bases ready to go, but I would very much like to have some shapes that aren't perfectly symmetrical ovals to have trees on. My friend suggested just cutting out card, but eh I feel that wouldn't be particularly secure in storage (since I'm gonna blu tack them to the bottom of a large container, with other AT stuff. I feel they'll get a bit bent before long)

I don't know of a seller but bases are about the easiest thing you could print with FDM printer. If you know someone that has one or can join a facebook group, it would be easy to get.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Gambrinus posted:

I've been out of Warhammer for about 20 years. I don't understand and am scared of this Age of Sigmar stuff. I'm never going to play the games again but wouldn't mind getting back into the modelling.

Are there any places that I can get models that look a bit like old Warhammer dwarves, but aren't Games Workshop products? Also, prices seems to be extraordinarily steep on eBay for old models. Is this normal or am I just unlucky?

Thanks

There are several smaller brands of old school dwarves these days. If you're just picking up some nice dorf minis to paint, check out Scibor Miniatures:

https://www.sciborminiatures.com/

A bit expensive for building an entire WHFB army, but perfect if you just want to chill and paint a bunch of cool dwafs.

First Legion is a new but growing brand that makes miniatures that are more geared for painters than gamers:

https://www.firstlegionltd.com/dwarves.aspx

There are also a ton of other smaller brands. I have my eyes on JT Infamous right now, they're about to do a kickstarter for Dwarf adventurers that look pretty sweet and spot on 4th ed GW dwarfs.

https://www.facebook.com/InfamousJT

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Also worth mentioning is Bad Squiddo Games who posts on these very forums (TheDiceBagLady). She specializes in realistic female sculpts and has a bunch of neat dwarves.

https://badsquiddogames.com/shop#!/Fantasy-Dwarfs/c/38941007

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Major Isoor posted:

There are plenty of sellers with laser-cut MDF bases. It would be easy for them to do a custom order.

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021
First half of my first Blood Bowl team, so a Blitz Bowl team.

The Hvalhavn Leviatans

From left to right: Joel Chinsmall, Alabaster Crug, Pine Handlemaker, Geoff Pillowstitch, Slab the Staravino and Taed Dandelion.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

mllaneza posted:

Kill Team already has a Nid Team in the Compendium with Warrior, 'Stealer, and 'gaunt options. There are now two Genestealer Cult teams, one Compendium team, and one in the new White Dwarf with ridiculous and probably OP special rules.

But, speaking of 'Nids and Epic Armageddon,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfpmHhhK1bI

This channel does similar videos for each faction, plus batreps from what look to be solitaire games of EA.

I've seen this before but the guy, and the Epic community in general are really weird about giving STL sources for some reason. Like I get they could be swatted down but I never had this level of paranoia when trying to get Warmaster stuff. It's especially frustrating because there aren't nearly as many new, independent sculptors out there making Epic scale 3d models.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Late to Epic chat, but there's a ton of great resources for 8mm thanks to AT and if you're 3D printing you can print out 6mm stuff at roughly 133% to upscale it to AT's near 8mm.

EpicAU has a huge 30k army book with nearly eveything from the heresy. Their site is acting up but it's available on their Facebook group. AFAIK it's compatible with Net EA.

Net Epic Armageddon is a great first stop.

I honestly don't know that GW could do a better job than what the community is producing. The miniatures are (nearly) free, the rules have a passionate voluntary effort behind them, and 6mm/8mm is where 40k forces really start to align with their depiction in the lore.

"Going legit" would mean resetting, and IDK as it would increase accessibility. You'd be able to get what you need to play at a GW store - but it would be behind a $170 box and $50 hardcovers dribbled out over 3+ years.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Springfield Fatts posted:

I've seen this before but the guy, and the Epic community in general are really weird about giving STL sources for some reason. Like I get they could be swatted down but I never had this level of paranoia when trying to get Warmaster stuff. It's especially frustrating because there aren't nearly as many new, independent sculptors out there making Epic scale 3d models.

I think this is largely because a few years back some of the popular sculptors received that's of legal action from GW. The community as a whole recoiled back quite a bit from that.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

There also used to be a handful of tattle-tale assholes who'd go out of their way to get stuff 404'd "on behalf of GW."

40k being more popular, there's more of them in the pool. It's also easier to slap down epic creators than warmaster, since 10mm wood elves aren't uniquely linked to any specific property in the same way that a tiny Leman Russ is.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
The strange thing is you can actually find a million IG tanks and you can't throw a rock without hitting a Space Marine Crusader, even 30k ones. There's some Orks out there too and one guy is doing good work sculpting Eldar but as for the lesser factions it's a total crapshoot.

Edit: Also apparently OPR has a mass-scale version of GDF on the 2022 roadmap, it'll be interesting to see if they dip their toes into 3d modelling smaller scale stuff. I normally wouldn't think so but they actually put stuff out for their starship game.

Springfield Fatts fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 7, 2022

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Springfield Fatts posted:

The strange thing is you can actually find a million IG tanks and you can't throw a rock without hitting a Space Marine Crusader, even 30k ones. There's some Orks out there too and one guy is doing good work sculpting Eldar but as for the lesser factions it's a total crapshoot.

Edit: Also apparently OPR has a mass-scale version of GDF on the 2022 roadmap, it'll be interesting to see if they dip their toes into 3d modelling smaller scale stuff. I normally wouldn't think so but they actually put stuff out for their starship game.

They've been previewing 6mm and 10mm versions of their fantasy lines for ages, but I don't actively follow them anymore so couldn't say how they're coming.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

abravemoose posted:

First half of my first Blood Bowl team, so a Blitz Bowl team.

The Hvalhavn Leviatans

From left to right: Joel Chinsmall, Alabaster Crug, Pine Handlemaker, Geoff Pillowstitch, Slab the Staravino and Taed Dandelion.

looks rad

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

lilljonas posted:

There are several smaller brands of old school dwarves these days. If you're just picking up some nice dorf minis to paint, check out Scibor Miniatures:

https://www.sciborminiatures.com/

A bit expensive for building an entire WHFB army, but perfect if you just want to chill and paint a bunch of cool dwafs.

First Legion is a new but growing brand that makes miniatures that are more geared for painters than gamers:

https://www.firstlegionltd.com/dwarves.aspx

There are also a ton of other smaller brands. I have my eyes on JT Infamous right now, they're about to do a kickstarter for Dwarf adventurers that look pretty sweet and spot on 4th ed GW dwarfs.

https://www.facebook.com/InfamousJT

Cheers fella. And that Bad Squiddo stuff look good (based in Nottingham as well!)

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Signal posted:

I think this is largely because a few years back some of the popular sculptors received that's of legal action from GW. The community as a whole recoiled back quite a bit from that.

It sucked because prices went through the roof. GW was just angry that their sculpts and castings were twice the detail theirs ever aspired to be and the underground people were keeping pace with the 40k releases.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Gambrinus posted:

Cheers fella. And that Bad Squiddo stuff look good (based in Nottingham as well!)

I have ordered a bunch of her Samurai stuff (onna-bugeisha) and she's shipped them out to Bangkok in record time. The quality has always been really good and there's usually a freebie or two (stickers and pins, that kind of stuff). Her Twitter is a good follow too for a behind the scenes look of how much work she puts into running the business and the legwork she puts in with her sculptors when she is getting ready for a Kickstarter.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Gambrinus posted:

I've been out of Warhammer for about 20 years. I don't understand and am scared of this Age of Sigmar stuff. I'm never going to play the games again but wouldn't mind getting back into the modelling.

Are there any places that I can get models that look a bit like old Warhammer dwarves, but aren't Games Workshop products? Also, prices seems to be extraordinarily steep on eBay for old models. Is this normal or am I just unlucky?

Thanks

If you really want some old GW dwarves to just mess with, I have a few on sprue from a lot of junk I got from a coworker. I'd sell them for a reasonable price, otherwise they'll just live in a box in my basement forever.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, just wondering - are there any general tipa for playing against Amazons as Lizardmen in BB2? I've been doing well enough in my group's league so far, but this game (against #3 on the leaderboard. I'm currently #2 but it's VERY tight. I might move down a lot in the worst case) but thia guy might give me the toughest game of the season.

Anyway, although I've played zons myself, I'm not 100% here. Although my inner saurus tells me to try and punch 'em up, I know just how badly that can go, with their dodge. I only have two sauruses with block too, sadly - I have a couple of others that have been 1SPP shy of a level for a while, annoyingly. I also have some sidestepping skinks and one with block as well.

At this point I'm wondering if I should generally try to avoid lots of base contact on defence (unless I'm in a position to clamp down on the cage and squeeze the BC) and instead juat try to screen them to slow the advance, in order to limit how many lizzies they can punch and hopefully pressure them into lots of dodges.
Offence though? I dunno, hold back a while and lunch 'em up, then when there's a break run through and screen with skinks, then try to close the fist around their people on that flank with a saurus or krox keeping them in place. (Hopefully)

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Use your block Saurus to beat up on the women who only have dodge so far, linos, throwers etc. Keep on beating and hopefully you will get a numbers advantage. Your have the speed and can outmanouver them. Support your krox so that he stands and can use his tail.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Gambrinus posted:

Thanks

A lot of old GW stuff has a better return than the stock market, and that is no joke. People are willing to pay a substantial amount to complete a collection they had when they were younger, or to be able to have that army that they sold off years ago / lost on the bus / got stolen / mom threw away / etc. I've been lucky enough to have been in the hobby long enough to have some very high value items that while, yeah, it did hurt a bit to sell, but a) they've been on the shelf for a long time, collecting dust; and b) netted me enough cash to finance things I'm currently, actively playing.

That being said, you can come across deals if you put in an alert on Ebay or talk to the right people. My buddy texted me yesterday that someone he was talking to wanted to trade their OOP 40K Ork Stronghold (going for around $100 USD on Ebay currently) for a spare Tau Piranha ($30 on Ebay) my buddy had. If you find someone who is detached from the nostalgia of the piece, you can get some "normal" pricing.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

MRLOLAST posted:

Use your block Saurus to beat up on the women who only have dodge so far, linos, throwers etc. Keep on beating and hopefully you will get a numbers advantage. Your have the speed and can outmanouver them. Support your krox so that he stands and can use his tail.

Hmm, yeah that sounds fair - about what I was suspecting I should aim for. Might need to foul with skinks too, I guess - especially if a TD is imminent. Since IIRC I have two spare skinks, so at least I shouldn't be handicapped player-wise if I get a red card.

Seeing as I'm never sure about positioning though, where do you reckon I should have my blockers? My standard up until now has been to put one on each flank, unless I'm going on the offensive against a team with no block. (Then all the block's in the middle, ready for a slaughter! :getin: ) But yeah, hard to say. He'll have a blocker per flank for sure, so it's hard to say.
Oh, and what do you reckon about the coin toss? I tend to let them receive at first when I can, unless I'm confident about bashing a few skulls in first turn. 'zons are just so weird though - I don't think I can expect much in the way of turn one damage if I receive, unless I only roll pows and zero bangs.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

jassi007 posted:

If you really want some old GW dwarves to just mess with, I have a few on sprue from a lot of junk I got from a coworker. I'd sell them for a reasonable price, otherwise they'll just live in a box in my basement forever.

That would be grand. What kind? If you're ok shipping to the UK I'll take them.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Finishing up my custom-sculpted Blood Bowl team, and testing out a color scheme.

It’s acceptable at tabletop distance, and it’s a pretty quick scheme to paint. Still need to figure out the pink and maybe darken up some of the shadows, but considering I designed it to quickly paint up models so that I can field a fully-painted team and will be constantly resculpting after mutations, I think it’s okay.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

Major Isoor posted:

Hmm, yeah that sounds fair - about what I was suspecting I should aim for. Might need to foul with skinks too, I guess - especially if a TD is imminent. Since IIRC I have two spare skinks, so at least I shouldn't be handicapped player-wise if I get a red card.

Seeing as I'm never sure about positioning though, where do you reckon I should have my blockers? My standard up until now has been to put one on each flank, unless I'm going on the offensive against a team with no block. (Then all the block's in the middle, ready for a slaughter! :getin: ) But yeah, hard to say. He'll have a blocker per flank for sure, so it's hard to say.
Oh, and what do you reckon about the coin toss? I tend to let them receive at first when I can, unless I'm confident about bashing a few skulls in first turn. 'zons are just so weird though - I don't think I can expect much in the way of turn one damage if I receive, unless I only roll pows and zero bangs.

Well you can't really plan on winning the toss.
On defense make sure you have a block Saurus free for blitzing.
Don't give the opponent an opportunity to blitz a skink and advance the cage. Don't let a line woman 1-1 mark a Saurus. Keep a skink a bit away so that if something happens you can threaten a break away. If he has a mb tackler foul it if it ever goes down but mostly try and stay away, fouling is not something to focus on unless it's a game winning player. Hope to roll pows and hope the opponent fails stuff, play solid and with patience. Zons are extremely hard to win vs with anything except dwarfs at low level. Play for a 0-0 draw and see what happens. Sometimes you roll lots of pows, sometimes they never come.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

You guys that are printing out Warmaster and Epic armies: What printer are you using? I'm thinking about getting rid of my FDM and getting a Photon 4k.

EdsTeioh fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 10, 2022

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

EdsTeioh posted:

You guys that are printing out Warmaster and Epic armies: What printer are you using? I'm thinking about getting rid of my FDM and getting a Photon 4k.
I'm using a Photon Mono. It's nice, but not very big. If I was getting a new printer, I'd go as big as possible.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Electric Hobo posted:

I'm using a Photon Mono. It's nice, but not very big. If I was getting a new printer, I'd go as big as possible.

Yeah, I considered that, but the price almost doubles and I'm a cheapskate.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm using a second-hand phrozen sonic mini 2k. It's amazing, but I also yearn for a larger plate.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

EdsTeioh posted:

FWIW, when I did a deep dive on resin printers I got the impression as long as you got one with a mono screen and 2k resolution, they were all roughly interchangable in the quality they can output.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

EdsTeioh posted:

Yeah, I considered that, but the price almost doubles and I'm a cheapskate.
You could go for the Photon Mono SQ. It's bigger that the Mono but is 3K so the quality is comparable with the 2K Mono.
When your printer is properly dialed in, there'll be basically no difference between 4K and a 2K, we're talking 0.035mm vs 0.05mm pixels.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Electric Hobo posted:

You could go for the Photon Mono SQ. It's bigger that the Mono but is 3K so the quality is comparable with the 2K Mono.
When your printer is properly dialed in, there'll be basically no difference between 4K and a 2K, we're talking 0.035mm vs 0.05mm pixels.

That's not a bad idea! Looks like that one is direct only, so I can't toss it on my Amazon card, but I'll keep that in mind.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's worth consideration that the difference between 4k and 2k is pretty much invisible under primer, paint, and coating. Same with layer height, for the most part.

I was shocked at how easy it was, especially after two years of wrestling with a lovely filament printer.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

moths posted:

It's worth consideration that the difference between 4k and 2k is pretty much invisible under primer, paint, and coating. Same with layer height, for the most part.

I was shocked at how easy it was, especially after two years of wrestling with a lovely filament printer.

Man I am tired as poo poo of messing with my Ender.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'd say go for it. Any name-brand printer is going to do what you want in less time than it takes to level a goddamn build plate.

They're also in demand enough that you can get at least half your money back if you sell it down the line.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Played a live bb game vs nurgle with woodies. That matchup is so hard now with the new fa rules, nerf to leap and pass. Felt like I could do extremely little except roll well. Lost 1-0 and was never in the game even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

MRLOLAST posted:

Played a live bb game vs nurgle with woodies. That matchup is so hard now with the new fa rules, nerf to leap and pass. Felt like I could do extremely little except roll well. Lost 1-0 and was never in the game even.

Were you Nurgle, or were you woodies?