Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
that's a disused steel mill, closed before the 2008 games due to pollution. it's some sort of industrial/events space now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

the point is the picture shows zero loving snow anywhere except on the ski slope. that's why it's posted in biosphere collapse. winter is vanishing before our eyes

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

CODChimera posted:

we got any 'things arent as bad as expected' tweets to balance it out a bit?

Yeah. Water influx from glacier to ocean will be roughly 10% less than we projected, so of the disastrous 65cm(2.1') from Thwaites it would really just be 58.5cm(1.9')
which is less bad and therefore fine

less bad = fine

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Enfys posted:

Has there been a single climate related thing that has taken longer than we thought

this thread has promised me BOE every year now, where is it?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

tomorrow it will be 37 degrees in "the frozen tundra" portion of the usa, the as-far-north-as-you-get-without-going-to-alaska part. it is 8 weeks until vernal spring

and yet we're all still moaning about, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, international politics and nuke towers and stupid poo poo like that

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

open your goddamn eyes. there isn't snow anymore. the parts of the world that isn't loving supposed to get snow is being buried in snow. winter lasts like 7 weeks now instead of 16 weeks. Open Your Goddamn Eyes

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Laserface posted:

the camp sites we used to visit as kids would run fluorescent lighting in the bathrooms and at night the windows would literally hum from the all the moths flapping their wings against the windows trying to get to the lights.

the theory is the lights distract them from the moon which they used to navigate to the alps, then bats etc eat them. I have seen this in practice - moths gather around street lights and the bats hang out nearby and just fly through the cloud of bugs like a whale shark on a school of fish.

the last time I was there during this period, maybe 10yrs ago, I saw maybe 2 moths total.

Yeah I used to go camping at various state/national parks/forests etc as kids and campgrounds would have like lovely green lights outside bathrooms or w/e and there'd just be constant swarms of bugs non-stop. last time I went to one there was nada, not a bug in sight. i mean excewpt some lovely ants and maybe some mosquitos. all the moths/etc seemed long gone

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

open your goddamn eyes. there isn't snow anymore. the parts of the world that isn't loving supposed to get snow is being buried in snow. winter lasts like 7 weeks now instead of 16 weeks. Open Your Goddamn Eyes

we haven't had any real rain since october, and before that event in october it was like that previous-year october for a single day

lol

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Minera posted:

idk i think the earliest year i've seen anyone guess here was 2023 sooooo we will see

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
It's kind of crazy to think that people looked at the massive swarms of insects gathering around our lights, which are literally everywhere and on all the time, and honestly thought "this isn't affecting anything and it doesn't matter."

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Minera posted:

idk no one has said it would be tomorrow but also i dont think these "milestones" like 1.5/2.0c/boe/etc it's all that interesting in itself. you don't need amoc failure or boe, by the time you do it's already gunna be very lol.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

SKULL.GIF posted:

you just posted an image of a huge snow ramp in the middle of china.... seems like there's plenty of snow idiot

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

Open Your Goddamn Eyes

if you are tied to the rails it honestly makes a lot more sense to keep your eyes closed when you hear the tram coming

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

SKULL.GIF posted:

there's snow here (and there's supposed to be snow here at that!) except we keep getting blasted with these heat waves that melts all of it, then it all re-freezes when the temp drops 30 degrees overnight and now there's several inches of solid lumpy ice everywhere and it sucks rear end

last week iirc it was almost -30 and now it's +4 and tomorrow it's supposed to rain

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Yeah. Water influx from glacier to ocean will be roughly 10% less than we projected, so of the disastrous 65cm(2.1') from Thwaites it would really just be 58.5cm(1.9')
which is less bad and therefore fine

less bad = fine

thats great! who is responsible for this progress? biden? XR?

a god damn idiot
Sep 7, 2006

Minera posted:

The arctic is in relatively reasonable shape compared to the past couple of years. I wouldn't expect a realistic shot at a BOE until 2028+. Systems are getting Very Weird so I guess it could all collapse in the next few months, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

a god drat idiot posted:

The arctic is in relatively reasonable shape compared to the past couple of years. I wouldn't expect a realistic shot at a BOE until 2028+. Systems are getting Very Weird so I guess it could all collapse in the next few months, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it.
2023 it is.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

FFT posted:

2023 it is.

I'll one up you and say the day after tomorrow

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

cant wait for the boe so people finally start taking this seriously

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

CODChimera posted:

same but the collapse of the gulf stream

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

CODChimera posted:

ya theres tons of money to be made shipping oil straight out of siberia, hurry it up ppl

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

CODChimera posted:

lol

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

just to remind everyone exactly what sort of "taking this seriously" we can expect from an arctic boe

https://twitter.com/ArmyTimes/status/1362135402832928768?s=19

https://twitter.com/ASLuhn/status/1363315951127588866?s=19

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Expect the narrative to really quickly switch from "we need to do what little token gestures we can to avoid the worst of locked-in climate change" to "well it's here, suck it up, we might as well take advantage of it while we still can because if we don't China or Russia will"

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Xaris posted:

we haven't had any real rain since october, and before that event in october it was like that previous-year october for a single day

lol

Just-in-time precipitation

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
itll be just like battlefield 2142 except everyone is getting sick and theres no food

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

Eyes are open, I see that I still need to drag my sorry rear end I to work everyday for the foreseeable future

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
it's kinda funny how fascists are wasting diesel fuel idling trucks blockading border crossings and the streets of the capital city of my country while demanding my (admittedly worthless) pm resign. the climate collapse accelerationism cherry on top of it all.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

No one is going to ever take this seriously.

Life sustaining poo poo will continue to stop getting to poor people, then to less poor people, the rich will try hermetically sealed dome life, that will fail a la Zardoz/Logan's Run.

We will have the tracer tong ending at best, the alternative is lights out.

It's amazing how in 20 years I've gone from viewing the condition of humanity in the matrix as a horror to viewing being in a pod to a not so bad.

Just crazy poo poo.

I am unable to contemplate existence outside the frame of trash sci-fi, apparently.

Rollerball as well. We currently live in that one.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

The trajectory is

Rollerball to deathrace 2000 to soylent green to Zardoz

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Egg Moron posted:

The trajectory is

Rollerball to deathrace 2000 to soylent green to Zardoz

:hmmyes:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

r u ready to WALK posted:

if you are tied to the rails it honestly makes a lot more sense to keep your eyes closed when you hear the tram coming

Counterpoint: if you keep them open the last thing you see will be a cool train

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

aphid_licker posted:

Counterpoint: if you keep them open the last thing you see will be a cool train

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Egg Moron posted:

No one is going to ever take this seriously.

Life sustaining poo poo will continue to stop getting to poor people, then to less poor people, the rich will try hermetically sealed dome life, that will fail a la Zardoz/Logan's Run.

We will have the tracer tong ending at best, the alternative is lights out.

It's amazing how in 20 years I've gone from viewing the condition of humanity in the matrix as a horror to viewing being in a pod to a not so bad.

Just crazy poo poo.

I am unable to contemplate existence outside the frame of trash sci-fi, apparently.

Rollerball as well. We currently live in that one.

you're right but the craziest thing about this post isn't that our world is crumbling around us while all we can do is watch and do nothing and old dystopian fiction is now almost-utopian, it's that apparently i'm not the only one who's watched zardoz

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

One day son, all I own will still belong to the state

Nuclear winter olympics

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

blatman posted:

you're right but the craziest thing about this post isn't that our world is crumbling around us while all we can do is watch and do nothing and old dystopian fiction is now almost-utopian, it's that apparently i'm not the only one who's watched zardoz

The free guns in Zardoz were pretty expensive and cool.

Our Zardoz future would just be a giant head that shoots you if you refuse to turn over all of your possessions and crops while providing nothing in return

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Rectal Death Adept posted:

The free guns in Zardoz were pretty expensive and cool.

Our Zardoz future would just be a giant head that shoots you if you refuse to turn over all of your possessions and crops while providing nothing in return

i feel like our giant zardoz heads will be recording the primitive wasteland people for the enjoyment of the immortal ruling class. it'll be the new reality tv competition: So, You Think The Gun Is Good And The Penis Is Evil!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i feel like our giant zardoz heads will be recording the primitive wasteland people for the enjoyment of the immortal ruling class. it'll be the new reality tv competition: So, You Think The Gun Is Good And The Penis Is Evil!

The immortal ruling class is just a bunch of those people from Wall-E floating around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Fly Molo posted:

clean water for the rich, salt brine for the poor

that already happens with the Colorado river and US/Mexico lol