Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Eh a VPN on regular Usenet downloads isn’t particularly necessary. Nobody gives a poo poo about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Truth, I have been using Usenet for Linux isos for like 20 years with zero issues.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

You're going directly to your provider, who has your personal information already, so if they wanted to screw your over, they could if you were on VPN or not. The reason you have problems with torrents is that rights holders are just on the tracker and listening to you say HEY YALL GOT THIS BLOCK OF COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL I HAVE THIS OTHER BLOCK OF COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL so hiding your IP is important. Your ISP knows you're connecting to a Usenet provider, but there are plenty of legitimate uses of Usenet, and rights holders can't tell what you're doing at all.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

And crucially with torrents, you’re sending the data back out there which they really don’t like.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

do lawsuits resulting from torrenting even really happen much anymore? seems like it's been years since i've heard of any actual lawsuits as opposed to warning letters sent by comcast, and even those were quite some time ago. even companies known to be litigious with piracy like nintendo don't really return any hits in that dept on a google search

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Anti-piracy groups still send DMCA notices to ISPs when they can trace torrent user IPs (as El Bromance says, only those who can be proven to be sharing the files and not just downloading). It's something they've been doing nonstop for the last 15+ years, so it's not really newsworthy. As for actual lawsuits that make it to court, yeah sometimes. Visit TorrentFreak, and you'll find some news stories to that effect.

Action taken against usenet services are far less common. A major european provider was taken down 10 years ago (news-service.com), but then they won an appeal five years later. The anti-piracy group who sued them then took the case to the dutch supreme court, where I think it's still pending? lol how are european legal disputes even slower to resolve than american ones?

Anyway, I don't think any other usenet provider has been hit or found liable for the content users upload. NZB indexes do get hit by that same anti-piracy group sometimes (BREIN), but that's the only group that seems to be doing that. One was taken down this year. And worse, they gave all of their user and account data to the anti-piracy group, who promised some notices in the mail to all of the site's users. I haven't heard of anything else relating to this happening since. Maybe european law is different, but NZBs are not illegal in america since the NZBs themselves contain no copyrighted information, and downloading them does not prove that the user engaged in any copyright infringement (important note: I'm not a lawyer). Nailing a user for downloading an NZB would be akin to suing/fining a torrent user for downloading a .torrent file without anything to prove that they actually used that torrent file, and that to my knowledge hasn't ever happened before. This is something that you could theoretically protect yourself from by using a VPN, as long as your account with the indexer is also anonymous. As stated above though, a VPN won't protect you from a provider sharing any personal information they have on file for you.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Dec 19, 2021

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

The LLC behind the Dallas Buyer’s Club is particularly litigious, trawling torrents for IP addresses to no end.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Rights holders are definitely still sending DMCA notices, and at least Comcast is still responding to them. I think there's a multiple-strike system though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I got an issue I haven't been able to figure out yet. I had the day off yesterday and went through and reconfigured my entire Unraid system and updated a bunch of poo poo.

I followed the Trash guides to the letter and tested downloading some music with Lidarr and some shows with Sonarr. Lidarr worked fine and the files there showed up in my /data/media/music/ folder

However for Sonarr, the files downloaded successfully through NZBGet into the /data/usenet/tv/ folder but have not been recognized by Sonarr to move them to the /data/media/tv/ folder into the appropriate subfolder.

Any idea what might be messed up? Tried to restart all the dockers, do housekeeping cycle on Sonarr etc but nothing doing so far.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Generate a log file, I'm guessing it's a permissions issue. You can also go through this page and see if anything applies to your setup: https://wiki.servarr.com/sonarr/troubleshooting

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I have a FreeBSD jail running Transmission and OpenVPN with a firewall killswitch that only allows traffic over the tun0 interface. The instructions that came with the VPN setup didn't work and it took a fair bit of searching around and guesswork to get my rules right, but overall they're pretty simple so I'll post them here in case anyone else wants to try. This is using ipfw at /transmission/ipfw_rules:

code:
# Flush any existing rules
-q -f flush

# Allow loopback
-q add 00001 allow all from any to any via lo0

# Allow VPN
-q add 00010 allow all from any to any via tun0

# Allow to/from Transmission
-q add 00101 allow all from me to 192.168.0.0/24
-q add 00102 allow all from 192.168.0.0/24 to me

# Deny non-local non-VPN
-q add 00105 allow all from any to any 443 out via epair0b
-q add 00106 deny all from any to any out via epair0b
Others will probably have to futz around with interface names and obviously use your own local IP format, but otherwise this has been working well for me for a few years now. I assume all of the above could be translated into iptables pretty easily, but we're already way past my neworking comfort zone so I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Recently, my tv grabs have been mislabeled - say, the latest season of community where every episode is wrong. Is there something in Sonarr that could be screwing this up? It appears to be every series I've added since updating to the latest Sonarr release.

Edit: I added some providers and indexers around black Friday as well. Could those be screwing things up?

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

George RR Fartin posted:

Recently, my tv grabs have been mislabeled - say, the latest season of community where every episode is wrong. Is there something in Sonarr that could be screwing this up? It appears to be every series I've added since updating to the latest Sonarr release.

Edit: I added some providers and indexers around black Friday as well. Could those be screwing things up?

That's usually a TVDB issue, are they listed correctly there?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

George RR Fartin posted:

Pick an episode that you know is wrong, find that episode in Sonarr and click on it, click the history tab, and hover over the downloaded icon on the left at the bottom of the list. That should tell you where it grabbed it from.

Now go to that indexer and manually download that same file manually. If the episode doesn't match what the indexer said it was, either stop using that indexer, or lower its priority in Sonarr so it's used less.

If that's not the problem, the Details column of that same History tab will show you where the file downloaded to, and where it was imported to and what it was renamed.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
What are the best Usenet indexers or I guess torrent sites for mp3s of comedy albums? Spotify took a bunch of the ones I like off, and I need some for roadtrips.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
Usenet not so much. Most music trackers will allow comedy and audiobooks.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Jerk McJerkface posted:

What are the best Usenet indexers or I guess torrent sites for mp3s of comedy albums? Spotify took a bunch of the ones I like off, and I need some for roadtrips.

Just a reminder that :filez: is still very much not allowed.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Does someone have the image/list of which Usenet providers are serviced by which backbones? The ones posted on previous pages seem to be dead already. Thanks!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
This claims to be updated as of a few days ago:
https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/comments/lwupx3/updated_usenet_provider_map/

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

tonic posted:

Does someone have the image/list of which Usenet providers are serviced by which backbones? The ones posted on previous pages seem to be dead already. Thanks!

https://whatsmyuse.net/

Lets you plug in the ones you have and you can use the direct backbone search to look at what ones you might want to pick up to cover any gaps.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Tornhelm posted:

https://whatsmyuse.net/

Lets you plug in the ones you have and you can use the direct backbone search to look at what ones you might want to pick up to cover any gaps.

this is probably the best one out there. so many stupid maps that are at weird links or dont get updated often enough. so much easier with a website (assuming it stays updated)

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I've got Sonarr & Radarr set up to download from usenet. Most of the time it works, sometimes I'll get most of the way through a download before it suddenly aborts with the error 'articles missing'. What does this mean? Can I prevent it form trying to download things if they aren't complete?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

nexus6 posted:

I've got Sonarr & Radarr set up to download from usenet. Most of the time it works, sometimes I'll get most of the way through a download before it suddenly aborts with the error 'articles missing'. What does this mean? Can I prevent it form trying to download things if they aren't complete?

you’ll need to do that from your download client. theres a python script for NZBget you can add.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

nexus6 posted:

It means that some of the files have been taken down by DMCA requests. Often happens on older files, but rarely happens on newer ones. I switched to SABNZBD and it seems to do this less often than NZBGet, perhaps it has additional checks.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

nexus6 posted:

One thing that helps is having multiple usenet providers set up, making sure they actually use different backend providers if they're a reseller. That way, if the files have been removed from one, it's possible the other will have the. The available files from the two services can be combined to (attempt to) complete the download.

If you set up the multiple servers in Sabnzbd, it will automatically try fetching from the other servers if articles are missing from your primary server.

I'm not aware of any way to know before initiating the download if articles are missing.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

pseudorandom posted:

I'm not aware of any way to know before initiating the download if articles are missing.

There are pre-check scripts for both SAB and NzbGet. Generally only worth it if you're really starved for bandwidth.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I added a one season, 10 episode series to Sonarr, downloaded a single NZB of the whole season, and due to some weirdness that was happening with another download, it didn't get imported. NZBGet lists it as successful, and I can see the files sitting in dst/Series/Blahblah.S01.1080p.blahblahblahblah, but of course the filenames are all obfuscated "abc.xyz.04bec16627f729.mkv" junk because that's just the way Usenet works now. I can't manually import them because I don't know which is which, they don't seem to have any metadata that has episode numbers (at least according to mediainfo), and forcing NZBGet to re-postprocess the download doesn't seem to have done anything. Was NZBGet supposed to have the information it needs to rename these properly? I think Sonarr would be only be able to find that information if it's in the filenames. Do I just need to download the episodes individually? If that's the case it kinda sucks that whole season downloads are just broken now.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I had a download mess up like that once. I just watched the files to figure out what episode they were. Luckily they had an episode title at like 61s into the episode.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sounds like it could be a one-off error, I used NZBGet with Sonarr and have had full season grabs without issue.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I did some more googling and apparently some indexers (including nzb.su, which I use) do a filename obfuscation thing. It's not a problem with single episodes, but with full seasons it is. There's maybe a script for NZBGet that can deobfuscate them, and apparently SAB can do it automatically. Maybe it's time to switch back to SAB.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I keep getting it with downloads of anything that includes an installer and separate files instead of just coming packaged as an archive of some kind, so they’re totally worthless because they look for specifically named files and not abc.blahblah, and there’s no way to unfuck that since you have no way of knowing which abc.blahblah is which.

I’m probably missing some trick to fix it but I don’t care that much nor do it that often that it’s really a hindrance.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

It seems that there's some mapping in the NZB itself, but I haven't parsed out what it is.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
UsenetPrime is right now with an offer for 5$ unlimited for subscription in case anybody is interested. It is a reseller of UsenetExpress.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Is there a way to clear the search history of an indexing site?
Specifically, drunkenslug and abNZB? Apparently it's not stored locally, clearing cookies for those sites doesn't clear it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Your mom is totally gonna find out you were looking for the Pam and Tommy sex tape now.

Waffle Conspiracy
May 21, 2002

Jane Goodall watches me pee!

mcbexx posted:

Is there a way to clear the search history of an indexing site?
Specifically, drunkenslug and abNZB? Apparently it's not stored locally, clearing cookies for those sites doesn't clear it.

searches are part of the browser and not cookies. in chrome in the privacy section you can clear your search history -- you just need to find that for your browser. I'm assuming you're talking about the auto fill in the search bar. when i clear that in chrome nothing autofills in DS for me.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Waffle Conspiracy posted:

searches are part of the browser and not cookies. in chrome in the privacy section you can clear your search history -- you just need to find that for your browser. I'm assuming you're talking about the auto fill in the search bar. when i clear that in chrome nothing autofills in DS for me.

You can also usually highlight these kinds of entries and shift-delete them individually if you don't want to clear them browser-wide.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I just sprung for a seedbox for a number of reasons, but the upshot is it'd be nice to have my whole setup running on beefy-ish hardware that can actually transcode, and the bandwidth and storage is nice.

I don't have root, but I do have SSH. The host has a control panel type thing that lets you install a number of apps, so I've got the standard SABnzbd/Sonarr/Radarr/Lidarr setup. I added Prowlarr because hey, easy to install, and that way it's easier to add indexers. Prowlarr also lets you download arbitrary NZBs/torrents from your indexers, so I decided to hook it up to my SAB instance so it could actually download things. The problem is that everything's set up to have friendly external URLs (https://mysweetseedbox.host.eu/username/sabnzbd for example), but internally the apps are running on their own ports. I'm sure there's some Docker business going on as well as a reverse proxy situation.

The problem is that I can't connect Prowlarr to the SABnzbd instance. Sonarr/Radarr/Lidarr have it set up for localhost, port 8500, with an API key and username/pass. Prowlarr, for whatever reason (I'm assuming some Docker shenanigans?) doesn't like that at all. Prowlarr also doesn't have a "URL path" configuration option for the SABnzbd setup, so I can't use the external URL either (the host field balks at anything other than a hostname, can't put a path in there). I can't use a black hole directory, it seems like, because Prowlarr can't see my home directory.

Is there anything I can do about this short of contacting the host and asking for them to mess with it? I am decidedly not a docker expert, and I assume I don't have permissions to mess with the docker configs myself.

e: I found Prowlarr's config directory and set up a blackhole directory there, and that does appear to have worked. I'd still prefer to have it connect directly, but blackhole isn't the end of the world. I suspect this is related to why I couldn't get Ombi to connect to Sonarr/Radarr either.

more falafel please fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 24, 2022

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I haven't done this stuff in years, and just dipped my toe back in the water. Registered on DrunkenSlug. Signed up for a month of Frugal Usenet. Set up SABnzbd, Sonarr, and Radarr. Got exactly what I searched for at my connection's maximum speed. The whole process took less than half an hour from start to finish.

I forgot how nice this is! Everything else is becoming a pain in the rear end so it's nice to know usenet is still plugging along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When I set something up as Monitored in *arr and weeks or months later it just appears in my Plex queue it still feels a bit magical every time :allears: