Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rusty posted:

You're probably joking, but they were only allowed to show like 3 games.

specifically

control
dmc5
forza horizon 5
ghostrunner
street fighter 5
portal 2
dead cells

SCheeseman posted:

Apparently that's a bug that can also happen on Windows, so it's not Steam Deck/Proton specific.

classic linus due diligence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

repiv posted:

classic linus due diligence

He showed it on the Deck at the same time as another handheld, with the other one not exhibiting the issue (according to his staff; I couldn't tell from the video)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MarcusSA posted:

Which one of these videos tested switch emulation performance.

they emulated the control cloud edition for switch

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Tiny Timbs posted:

He showed it on the Deck at the same time as another handheld, with the other one not exhibiting the issue

Sample size of one isn't exactly comprehensive.

e: It could be an issue exacerbated by the hardware/software setup in the deck but the kind of artifacts they described, with the game/simulation speed feeling variable, seem more like a game engine thing

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 7, 2022

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i feel like even fighting game fans won't care about SF5 performance because they'll play something else/better like GG Strive or w/e

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
How’s the battery?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

8 hours seems like a longshot, 6 hours is more typical playing older or indie titles, 2 hours for anything AAA. If you push it extremely hard by disabling vsync it's possible to dip below 2 hours but it'd be dumb to do that so don't.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Pretty impressive, wonder how running windows would affect it

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Probably worse without third party utilities to control TDP, which exist but are a hassle to use.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Phawx is really good with handheld gaming stuff and he managed to get a preview unit for the Deck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxKd0nr6uYw, very in depth and showing TDP control, core parking, and comparing to the Win Max, Win 3 etc.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 7, 2022

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1490801583952523266?s=20&t=EItGwtkWR_j6A0ZOMg_B5Q

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hell yeah

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Phawx is really good with handheld gaming stuff and he managed to get a preview unit for the Deck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxKd0nr6uYw, very in depth and showing TDP control, core parking, and comparing to the Win Max, Win 3 etc.

It's really cool that you can park cores on the fly and immediately see if there's a benefit or not.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Some bullshit from Sweeney:
https://twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/status/1490519194915459072
https://twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/status/1490565925648715781
For Steam Deck support, they would only have to support whatever Valve ships. If they want to expand more than that, there are signed kernels for various Linux distros. The scope is infinitesimally smaller than Android, so presumably this is more of a tactical move.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

They'd need secure boot to verify that the kernel is actually what Valve ships (and not just something claiming to be that) and I don't think we know whether the Steam Deck implements that

It was pretty obvious from the start that Linux EAC/BE would be less secure than the Windows versions, that's why developers have to opt-in to Linux support for both ACs

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
As far as the 5 games shown so far, the loading times between SSD and SDcard are almost identical with most loads being 0.5 - 5 seconds different. Occasional worst-case of 13-17 seconds difference.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

repiv posted:

They'd need secure boot to verify that the kernel is actually what Valve ships (and not just something claiming to be that) and I don't think we know whether the Steam Deck implements that

It was pretty obvious from the start that Linux EAC/BE would be less secure than the Windows versions, that's why developers have to opt-in to Linux support for both ACs

Arch supports everything needed to secure boot, I've done it with self-signed kernels. Given they also they're also working on fTPM support for Win11 compatibility, SteamOS with a signed kernel and secure boot enabled by default is an easy assumption to make. It's good security practice and lowers attack surface in general, or in theory since UEFI exploits are starting to appear in the wild.

It'd probably be more secure than some rando Android phone/emulator.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 7, 2022

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Empty quote

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

SCheeseman posted:

Arch supports everything needed to secure boot, I've done it with self-signed kernels. Given they also they're also working on fTPM support for Win11 compatibility, SteamOS with a signed kernel and secure boot enabled by default is an easy assumption to make. It's good security practice and lowers attack surface in general, or in theory since UEFI exploits are starting to appear in the wild.

It'd probably be more secure than some rando Android phone/emulator.

Secure Boot isn't sufficient, they need remote attestation.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

Secure Boot isn't sufficient, they need remote attestation.

Is that a requirement for Fortnite on Android?

e: Apparently uses Google SafetyNet/Play Integrity, which has been been bypassed/worked around before but it's a cat and mouse game. Hardware backed attestation also doesn't seem to be a requirement (yet?)

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 8, 2022

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I placed a preorder about two weeks ago for the eMMc version and I just found out that only preorders dating back to July are going to have an opportunity to receive a launch day Gabe Gear.

Has valve given an estimate for when non-preorder 'normo' (plebs) will be able to purchase the Gabe Gear?

Also would the slower storage really matter all that much? I run most of my PC games off of an Ancient 1tb HDD drive and I've never had an issue. I also have a 1tb high speed microSD card laying around that I plan to just slap in the thing day one.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CerealKilla420 posted:

Also would the slower storage really matter all that much?

all early tests so far point to it not being a massive deal.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

what are y'all doing in terms of sd cards?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

what are y'all doing in terms of sd cards?

Hopefully not getting a fake off Amazon lol

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah buy from somewhere that's unlikely to have tainted stock (avoid Amazon) and get a reputable brand like Samsung or Sandisk

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
just go to a drugstore, for some reason they go on sale at drugstores like all the time.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

okay 1) there's fake ones?? 2) what brand and speed and poo poo are you getting, I don't know poo poo except that for getting whatever was at the store for my devices I've hacked over the years or for my Switch

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

grieving for Gandalf posted:

okay 1) there's fake ones?? 2) what brand and speed and poo poo are you getting, I don't know poo poo except that for getting whatever was at the store for my devices I've hacked over the years or for my Switch

Oh yeah, fake flash media is a huge problem, almost exclusively for online sales though. If you buy from pretty much any brick & mortar store, or even any online retailer that's not a marketplace for 3rd party sellers, you should be fine. But Amazon has a big problem with counterfeit SD cards and USB drives that are slower, less durable, and/or smaller than advertised. Many of them even do a trick so they show up as the advertised size on your computer, but if you try to go over the real amount of capacity it just overwrites whatever was there before, so you only find out its a fake after it destroys your data.

Don't buy flash media from Amazon. Get it from Best Buy or Adorama or B&H or literally anywhere else. If you do get flash media from Amazon, test it before you use it for anything important.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
If you're worried about fakes on Amazon since every time they go on a big sale the "Ships from and Sold by Amazon.com" gets replaced by "Ships from Amazon, Sold by AMAZING_MEMORY_2562_GMBH_JUST_TRUST_US_BRO" just watch for sales from Best Buy, free shipping as long as it costs at least $35 or so?

Here's 256gb on sale for $44 for the next 4 hours:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-256gb-microsdxc-uhs-i-memory-card-for-nintendo-switch/6350363.p?skuId=6350363

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I found them for a good price at Western Digital, SanDisk's owner. is this the right thing?

they've got 256gb for $28, 512gb for $65, 1tb for $140

seems better than the Nintendo brand stuff from Amazon, but maybe there's a difference I don't know

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Ships from and Sold by Amazon doesn't mean anything, they let any seller ship counterfeit goods to their warehouses and then the products all get thrown in the same bin and the seller becomes irrelevant.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

The United States posted:

If you're worried about fakes on Amazon since every time they go on a big sale the "Ships from and Sold by Amazon.com" gets replaced by "Ships from Amazon, Sold by AMAZING_MEMORY_2562_GMBH_JUST_TRUST_US_BRO" just watch for sales from Best Buy, free shipping as long as it costs at least $35 or so?

Here's 256gb on sale for $44 for the next 4 hours:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-256gb-microsdxc-uhs-i-memory-card-for-nintendo-switch/6350363.p?skuId=6350363

This seems great unless someone would tell me why this particular card sucks or something.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The steam deck pretty handily seems to beat the Aya Neo next in quite a few places.

Also it runs control pretty drat well from the video I saw.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Price is crazy good for what you're getting.

Shame it's not OLED though.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Interesting video of how Steam Deck's main mission is to decouple Valve's dependence from Windows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5rG5TFtJIY

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

pseudorandom name posted:

Ships from and Sold by Amazon doesn't mean anything, they let any seller ship counterfeit goods to their warehouses and then the products all get thrown in the same bin and the seller becomes irrelevant.

Commingling! https://www.redpoints.com/blog/amazon-commingled-inventory-management/

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

Interesting video of how Steam Deck's main mission is to decouple Valve's dependence from Windows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5rG5TFtJIY

i thought everyone knew this already. this was also their plan with the steam machines, except that floundered before it even got off the ground

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I think they got it right this time around. Proton alone has the potential to be an industry changer, a white label game streaming package powered by Proton could shake things up by giving publishers a way to sell their latest titles and back catalogue streamed from just about any rack server with any capable GPU in it. No porting, not tethered to Nvidia, no windows licensing or any of Stadia's whole bullshit.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Feb 8, 2022

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Gamers Nexus has their tear-down up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlsJB3narnk

Haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but their tear-downs are usually pretty good and in-depth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I don't see how the haptic feedback is gonna compensate for the lack of proper rumble. I know some people don't care about rumble but I miss it a lot when I'm using the Hori Split Pad on my Switch.

At this point I think the only major downsides to the Deck is 1) the lack of rumble and 2) the mediocre screen.