Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I put a weighted tarp over my car

thats really nice of u, cars have lots of anxiety being driven by humans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SorePotato posted:

I predict that within 20 years, Tesla vehicles will be emitting microwaves when it senses snow

:lol:

Tesla won't be around in 20 years.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Iron Crowned posted:

snow won't be around in 20 years.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.
we'll have microplastic snow, it will be glorious

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Sure it will, we will get far harsher winters in addition to our intolerable, mankillingly blazing summers.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

tiberion02 posted:

we'll have microplastic snow, it will be glorious

I'm going to start a business recycling the microplastic in poo poo into snow tarps.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Hanging weights on your tarp does NOT re-grow your undercoating, sorry

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

how's this still even a debate! we have video evidence the tarp method works!

Some people just can't take the L

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

oilskin tarps or whatever they are called are cool. big gvmt is forcing the plastic tarps on us

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

if they'd put tarps on the world trade center, they could have just pulled them off and removed the planes with them

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
same problem with scratching though

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
From the other tarp thread

https://twitter.com/nytmike/status/1490848825673584643

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

ok now what the gently caress is happening here

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1490792520216977410

WRAP VS TARP

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

lmfao

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
park your car upside down and just flip it over.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

They'll all be dead sitting under tarps

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

VectorSigma posted:

WRAP VS TARP

my names weather p and I'm here to say

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Category 5 is already 'wipes human civilization off the map where it goes' wtf is the point of a sixth one?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Legitimately send it to the Smithsonian

Complications posted:

Category 5 is already 'wipes human civilization off the map where it goes' wtf is the point of a sixth one?

Number cannot stop going up, ever

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Complications posted:

there isn't one which is why category 6 doesn't exist. that said, a category 5 hurricane is "only" a EF-3 tornado so clearly cat 5 isn't anywhere near the absolute possible maximum windspeed.

if we want to talk absolute maximum possible windspeed however there is always the hypercane

quote:

In order to form a hypercane, according to Emanuel's hypothetical model, the ocean temperature would have to be at least 49 °C (120 °F). A critical difference between a hypercane and present-day hurricanes is that a hypercane would extend into the upper stratosphere, whereas present-day hurricanes extend into only the lower stratosphere.[6]

Hypercanes would have wind speeds of over 800 kilometres per hour (500 mph), potentially gusting to 970 km/h (600 mph),[7] and would also have a central pressure of less than 700 hectopascals (20.67 inHg), giving them an enormous lifespan of at least several weeks.[5] This extreme low pressure could also support massive storm systems roughly the size of North America.[5][8] For comparison, the largest and most intense storm on record was 1979's Typhoon Tip, with a 1-minute sustained wind speed of 305 km/h (190 mph) and a minimum central pressure of 870 hPa (25.69 inHg). Such a storm would be nearly eight times more powerful than Hurricane Patricia, the storm with the highest sustained wind speed recorded, which had 1-minute sustained winds of 345 km/h (215 mph).[9] However, hypercanes may be as small as 25 km (15 mi) in size, and they would lose strength quickly after venturing into colder waters.[7]

The waters after a hypercane could remain hot enough for weeks, allowing more hypercanes to form. A hypercane's clouds would reach 30 to 40 km (20 to 25 mi) into the stratosphere. Such an intense storm would also damage the Earth's ozone layer, potentially having devastating consequences for life on Earth.[5][failed verification] Water molecules in the stratosphere would react with ozone to accelerate decay into O2 and reduce absorption of ultraviolet light.[10]

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

hobbesmaster posted:

there isn't one which is why category 6 doesn't exist. that said, a category 5 hurricane is "only" a EF-3 tornado so clearly cat 5 isn't anywhere near the absolute possible maximum windspeed.

if we want to talk absolute maximum possible windspeed however there is always the hypercane

gotta be honest if the ocean is 120 degrees I think we'd have big problems even without a hypercane.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

hobbesmaster posted:

ok so maybe let's not do that

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

no it'll be 10 feet of snow followed by a freak (read: every other week) 90f day lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
the tarp will protect the car from the snow, then protect the car from the water/sun. its genius, really

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gripweed posted:

gotta be honest if the ocean is 120 degrees I think we'd have big problems even without a hypercane.

yeah I looked deeper one time it was brought up and I think it was the original paper that used an example of a large meteor impact to get those temps.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

smug jeebus posted:

Some people just can't take the L

Sure, it works for most instances - but what about those edge cases, eh? What about if there was ten feet of snow mixed with gravel and lumps of lead? What then?

Yeah, thought so :colbert:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

the whole reason there isn’t anything above Cat 5 is because you have massive structural failures at that point of even the most reinforced buildings, so you can’t go higher in terms of damage

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Gripweed posted:

first the meteor impact, then the tsunami, then the hypercane! it's a triple threat!

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

VectorSigma posted:

WRAP VS TARP

taping bubble wrap to the inside of your windows is a good practice

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

FlamingLiberal posted:

the whole reason there isn’t anything above Cat 5 is because you have massive structural failures at that point of even the most reinforced buildings, so you can’t go higher in terms of damage

shirts and skins posted:

Number cannot stop going up, ever

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
what if you had a hurricane that was so strong, it didn't just flatten every structure, but it actively started digging a hole too

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Throw thousands of drill bits into a tornado.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

A Cat 5 hurricane isn't all that really scary. We already have buildings and roads that can stand up to a Cat 5 so it's not like it's human civilization ending weather at all. It make sense to add another number just to represent how amazing the advancement we've made in building material and construction, and how stronger the hurricanes are nowadays with climate change.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

NeonPunk posted:

A Cat 5 hurricane isn't all that really scary. We already have buildings and roads that can stand up to a Cat 5 so it's not like it's human civilization ending weather at all. It make sense to add another number just to represent how amazing the advancement we've made in building material and construction, and how stronger the hurricanes are nowadays with climate change.

you must not live on a coast

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

NeonPunk posted:

Have you ever lived through the worst of one? Because I have.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

ultimately the logical conclusion of the tarp discussion is to begin laying tarps over major cities to protect them from increasingly destructive weather (5g radiation agitating airstreams) until we are living in tent cities like settler-colonial Martians. this is inevitable unless you want to consider the possibility of subterranean cities full of white people

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

SorePotato posted:

ultimately the logical conclusion of the tarp discussion is to begin laying tarps over major cities to protect them from increasingly destructive weather (5g radiation agitating airstreams) until we are living in tent cities like settler-colonial Martians. this is inevitable unless you want to consider the possibility of subterranean cities full of white people

I don't want to consider any kind of population center full of white people, underground or otherwise

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
NASA engineers are designing a circular tarp (first of its kind) for use with domes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
120F water lol