Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Mox vs Wheeler 6 5.04%
Kings of the Black Throne vs Death Duo 17 14.29%
Ruby vs Nyla 0 0%
Punk vs MJF 81 68.07%
WARDLOW?!?! 15 12.61%
Total: 119 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Yeah can't believe how much more interesting she's gotten. Prior to her getting misted I don't think there was a person in AEW I cared about less than Julia Hart but the eyepatch is unlocking her hidden powers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Invalid Validation posted:

Someone explain why Jay Lethal was signed.

Tony thought he was signing Jay White

alternate answer: we know Tony is a huge Christian mark and Christian's TNA run was about the same time as Lethal's rise to popularity in TNA via cool X Division matches and then Black Machismo

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

https://youtu.be/oCYaWdKd8EA

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Niño Hamburguesa is All Elite

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Yeah can't believe how much more interesting she's gotten. Prior to her getting misted I don't think there was a person in AEW I cared about less than Julia Hart but the eyepatch is unlocking her hidden powers

She seemed like she had a lot of natural charisma, but the ring work wasn't quite there (which is understandable since she's so green). But she seriously looked very very good yesterday.

AEW trainers for the ladies are paying dividends.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE
MEN MAY BECOME SMALLER

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

JethroMcB posted:

CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE
MEN MAY BECOME SMALLER

we're already getting Fuego vs. Serpentico

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

He’s a good wrestler, op.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

About midday every Tuesday I trick myself into thinking it's Wednesday because of all of the hype happening around Dynamite.

This morning, I *knew* it was Tuesday but saw jesus WEP's post and was completely thrown off for a few seconds thinking it was, in fact, Wednesday before very quickly crashing back down to reality.

Thank you for doing the hard work for me ahead of schedule, jesus WEP. Now I can finally have a Tuesday in peace.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

tao of lmao posted:

He’s a good wrestler, op.

There a lotta good wrestlers who became or already were available, many of whom I'm sure haven't been accused of sexual coercion/diddling minors

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Mons Hubris posted:

I am increasingly convinced Tony has signed someone with an active WWE contract who is unhappy and is just going to pay the legal fees

The only thing giving me hope for this is that Tony has taken the approach of letting contracts run out rather than releasing. Otherwise it still hurts him to challenge the independent contractor status.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

There a lotta good wrestlers who became or already were available, many of whom I'm sure haven't been accused of sexual coercion/diddling minors

Is the latter a charge against Lethal?

e: I would be amazed if Tony Khan wants to pick a fight w/ WWE's lawyers. I think it much more likely he's hyped himself up into a frenzy over some guy.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I bet the huge announcement is as mild as TK switching to decaf

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Some boy tried to step to me at the county fair. I said son u clearly have no ideal what creek im from

TV Zombie posted:

I bet the huge announcement is as mild as TK switching to decaf

Is decaf cocaine a thing?

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

the huge announcement is that all the wrestlers had a clause in their contract that requires them to come hang out with me for my birthday in march and be my friend but none of them read it and it will be a huge shock to all of them

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ozymandius1024 posted:

She seemed like she had a lot of natural charisma, but the ring work wasn't quite there (which is understandable since she's so green). But she seriously looked very very good yesterday.

AEW trainers for the ladies are paying dividends.

the ladies trio was super fun too, even if it was just a quick one, the spot Emi did tying Heather Reckless and Skye Blue up was amazing

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mons Hubris posted:

I am increasingly convinced Tony has signed someone with an active WWE contract who is unhappy and is just going to pay the legal fees

Both Tony and Cody have said in interviews that they like the current independent contractor system for wrestlers and I don't think TK is going to open up the can of worms that would theoretically make it possible for anyone not under an actual full time contract with the company (like with benefits and all that) to just jump ship if they feel like it. I could see him daring Vince to take him to court over non-competes, but that's about as far as I can go.

Cocaine is Abel
Nov 12, 2021
Jay Lethal’s match with Ricky Starks was very good. I think they signed him because he’s good at wrestling

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

heel turn posted:

Is decaf cocaine a thing?

pretty sure thats ritalin

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

I hope tomorrow's big signing is Cody Rhodes' new contract.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Watch the match with ricky starks

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

neoaxd posted:

This would absolutely be my favourite outcome.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

diddling minors

Oh so we’re just making up things to get mad about now i see.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Is the latter a charge against Lethal?

He was involved with AJ Lee when she was under 18. I'm not sure how far under, depending on the state it may fall under technically legal but still skeevy.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

smarxist posted:

the ladies trio was super fun too, even if it was just a quick one, the spot Emi did tying Heather Reckless and Skye Blue up was amazing

Emi Sakura is one of the smoothest, cleanest, quickest, no-wasted-movement wrestlers in the company regardless of gender. She's always exactly where she needs to be at exactly the right time and I've never seen her botch or even do anything sloppy. Ever. She's also a fun person who does good character work.

It's a crime that she's stuck in Dark trios match hell.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Elephant Ambush posted:

Emi Sakura is one of the smoothest, cleanest, quickest, no-wasted-movement wrestlers in the company regardless of gender. She's always exactly where she needs to be at exactly the right time and I've never seen her botch or even do anything sloppy. Ever. She's also a fun person who does good character work.

It's a crime that she's stuck in Dark trios match hell.

I'm hoping that we'll get a lot of these Dark & Elevation women in the Owen tournament and not just a rehash of the TBS Title tournament in terms of wrestlers involved. The women on the YouTube shows have really done some great stuff the past few months and deserve some payoffs soon under brighter spotlights.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Tony was satisfied with his work rate

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

Both Tony and Cody have said in interviews that they like the current independent contractor system for wrestlers and I don't think TK is going to open up the can of worms that would theoretically make it possible for anyone not under an actual full time contract with the company (like with benefits and all that) to just jump ship if they feel like it. I could see him daring Vince to take him to court over non-competes, but that's about as far as I can go.

I don't think the WWE non-competes are even non-competes, just 90 days of keeping you on-contract and paying you to not wrestle before the actual release happens. Materially idk if it would be any different than bringing in Ali or whoever to bring in someone who's waiting out their 90

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

IcePhoenix posted:

If Tony genuinely wants wrestlers to be independent contractors then it would be worth it for someone to fight what WWE is doing, which is calling wrestlers independent contractors to avoid paying benefits and absolving themselves of liability but treating them like employees in every other way. I don't know if he does or doesn't, and I'm not trying to start a big argument, I just think if someone with a big enough bankroll took on WWE then there's a decent chance their system would fall apart.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Duke Pukem posted:

Watch the match with ricky starks

I did, it was fine, they have better on the roster and with more charisma. Being friends with a bunch of them makes more sense though, to me he’s just a snooze fest in anything outside of actual wrestling.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

He was involved with AJ Lee when she was under 18. I'm not sure how far under, depending on the state it may fall under technically legal but still skeevy.

Are we sure about this? Everything I've read says she didn't meet him until she started training in 2007.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/Fightful/status/1491080518145699842?s=20&t=2tzh6-1_efkHQUtmLHmGwQ

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mons Hubris posted:

I just think if someone with a big enough bankroll took on WWE then there's a decent chance their system would fall apart.

I agree 100%, but this would cause the same system AEW uses to also fall apart which is why I don't think they're gonna fight that fight.

I don't think the WWE non-competes are even non-competes, just 90 days of keeping you on-contract and paying you to not wrestle before the actual release happens. Materially idk if it would be any different than bringing in Ali or whoever to bring in someone who's waiting out their 90

I have no idea how true this is but was just thinking of the Lesnar non-compete and assuming that's how they all work.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

I agree 100%, but this would cause the same system AEW uses to also fall apart which is why I don't think they're gonna fight that fight.

I have no idea how true this is but was just thinking of the Lesnar non-compete and assuming that's how they all work.

Lesnar was a special case in that he wanted out of WWE/wrestling at the height of his push and so in exchange for his release he agreed not to fight wherever for x years after his contract expired. This was a new agreement separate from the WWE performer contract that he was negotiating to be released from.

All the regular WWE wrestlers don't actually have "30/90 day non-competes" at all. Instead their contracts state that (outside gross misconduct) WWE can end the contract by giving 30/90 days notice to the wrestler. Anything anyone has ever said about "x wrestler can just choose not to take the money and go somewhere immediately" isn't true because they're still under their WWE contract for the 30/90 days unless both parties agree to reduce/remove this period.

Think of it as gardening leave.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I’m just doing some quick wikipediaing, but AJs page says she was born in March ‘87 and she enrolled in wrestling school in March 2007 where she was trained by Lethal. Jay was born April ‘85, so he would have been 21/22 and her 20.
Doesn’t seem that bad, unless there’s something I’m missing?

What I’ve also learned is I’m the same age as AJ Lee and just… wow, I’ve wasted my life.

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Some boy tried to step to me at the county fair. I said son u clearly have no ideal what creek im from

I saw a WWE contract in 2014 and, unless things have changed, this is correct. When WWE publicly announces a release, it's basically just written notification that they'll be terminating the contract in 90 days, and they let you sit at home and collect a pro-rated portion of your annual salary. There's also a section that says if someone breaches the terms of the contract (ex. Ali or Hardy showing up on Wednesday), they will cause irreparable injury that can't be measured by monetary relief and WWE has the right to seek injunctive relief.

Tony would have to have a massive set of balls and be 100% sure AEW would come out on the other side unscathed to consider actually tying things up in court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

neoaxd posted:

This is the best option.