Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/Justin_Ling/status/1490925393498767362?s=20&t=ihVHIWW94qJhtDNuRm35ag

https://twitter.com/Justin_Ling/status/1490927282571014145?s=20&t=ihVHIWW94qJhtDNuRm35ag

How do you negotiate with these people?

Literal loving morons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dude is smelling blood in the water. Listening to his speech he keeps conflating the general Canadian population with a bunch of a whiny truckers.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

They all look like regulars at Tim Hortons and probably burst out in tears over their heritage commercials.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"What are your demands?"
"The complete dismantlement of the government and the illegalization of all vaccinations!"

And... apparently the police are content to let them stay there until they get it.

Honest question, how much longer until a civilian decides to try to take the law into their own hands? What's the over/under? 10 days?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Someone already tried to run over a bunch of them in Winnipeg I believe

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

"Let the public decide"

The public has decided it's time for all these fuckfaces to go home and get jabbed so we can get through this and lift restrictions faster.

I'm so annoyed that they are even bothering admitting them to "emergency hearings", though I guess they have to do that much to get on the record that their movement has absolutely nothing of value to say?

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

HappyHippo posted:

IIRC that news story actually said the guy denied it had anything to do with politics when he was arrested so we don’t even get that small joy

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

HappyHippo posted:

Yeah, but he's a shitheel by all accounts and decent odds he mistook this "protest" for an actual protest.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
This guy sums up my thoughts on the situation perfectly: Why do we all have to live in someone else's never-ending juvenile fantasy?

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Madkal posted:

Dude is smelling blood in the water. Listening to his speech he keeps conflating the general Canadian population with a bunch of a whiny truckers.

Lmao this is actual color revolution poo poo

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This was great - thanks for sharing.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Jan posted:

"Let the public decide"

We already did, less than six months ago.

edit: And the government succeeded on a confidence vote literally a week ago.

tagesschau fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 8, 2022

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

The Far Right are playing politics with cheat codes.

Total invulnerability from the cops.
No need to actually learn how the structures you want to change work
No need for any message discipline because anything goes wrong and it’s antifa or someone else’s fault
Huge amounts of money flow in from abroad or mysterious sources no strings attached
Tons of unearned media coverage (at first)
National parties immediately support you
And the government WANTS to negotiate with them now?!

Liberalism really isn’t well suited to fight fascism at all.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Don't forget they're also 100% impervious to reality. When this dumb poo poo comes up at work I point out that, according to the Canadian Trucking Alliance, nearly 90% of truckers are vaccinated. But, of course, they're in bed with... big truck?... and these numbers are fake and nothing matters. We're so hosed.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Cocaine Bear posted:

Don't forget they're also 100% impervious to reality. When this dumb poo poo comes up at work I point out that, according to the Canadian Trucking Alliance, nearly 90% of truckers are vaccinated. But, of course, they're in bed with... big truck?... and these numbers are fake and nothing matters. We're so hosed.

I saw a Tiktok a while back where this guy goes around reading passages from the old testament that sound extra raunchy or R-rated and then asked various conservatives if they feel its appropriate to have books in schools that contain text like this. They all said no and when he revealed it came from the Bible they just denied that was true and the conversation was immediately over.

At any time these people could open a bible and read this poo poo themselves but they're so firm in their unchangeable beliefs that they cannot even confront reality.

You used to be able to win people over with arguments but now that as a society people are cherry picking what they want to be true (and can find culturally/tribally oriented news outlets to confirm bias) nobody can engage with anyone in good faith anymore. I think that in time, this trucker protest will peter out and go away, but it'll plant a deeper seed of political polarization that will come back to bite us pretty hard in a few years as mechanisms similar to the United States start playing out in Canada.

ARACHTION posted:

The Far Right are playing politics with cheat codes.

Total invulnerability from the cops.
No need to actually learn how the structures you want to change work
No need for any message discipline because anything goes wrong and it’s antifa or someone else’s fault
Huge amounts of money flow in from abroad or mysterious sources no strings attached
Tons of unearned media coverage (at first)
National parties immediately support you
And the government WANTS to negotiate with them now?!

Liberalism really isn’t well suited to fight fascism at all.

It's not cheat codes. Centrist urban liberals have always punched left and partnered right sometimes to their own detriment. History is full of examples of this.
If you go through the entire Revolutions podcast with Mike Duncan you'll hear countless examples in every revolution where there's a centrist faction that rides the middle and seizes power and then promptly alienates both sides before reactionaries seize power.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
They've now taken over the borders in Windsor and Sarnia.

If that goes too long even the cons will want to crack down as it'll hurt their business interests.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Kraftwerk posted:

I saw a Tiktok a while back where this guy goes around reading passages from the old testament that sound extra raunchy or R-rated and then asked various conservatives if they feel its appropriate to have books in schools that contain text like this. They all said no and when he revealed it came from the Bible they just denied that was true and the conversation was immediately over.

At any time these people could open a bible and read this poo poo themselves but they're so firm in their unchangeable beliefs that they cannot even confront reality.

You used to be able to win people over with arguments but now that as a society people are cherry picking what they want to be true (and can find culturally/tribally oriented news outlets to confirm bias) nobody can engage with anyone in good faith anymore. I think that in time, this trucker protest will peter out and go away, but it'll plant a deeper seed of political polarization that will come back to bite us pretty hard in a few years as mechanisms similar to the United States start playing out in Canada.

I choose to blame provincial governments for this, by not requiring that the public school curriculum address civics and critical thinking.

I got my 0.5 of a fuckin art credit tho

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Just saw someone on social media saying that any day now Trudeau will be tried for crimes against humanity. These guys are living in a reality so divorced from what is actually happening that they might as well start living their lives like they are in the middle of a Dungeons and Dragons session.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
I saw a truck with a sticker today that alleged Trudeau is the illegitimate son of Fidel Castro.

Somehow I haven’t heard this particular conspiracy theory!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah that one has been around for a while.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

This frames the mentality of these extremists so well that I'm surprised I couldn't see it sooner.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

Trudeau wishes he was that cool

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Capital Letdown posted:

I saw a truck with a sticker today that alleged Trudeau is the illegitimate son of Fidel Castro.

Somehow I haven’t heard this particular conspiracy theory!

It's the next level for people on social media who are tired of posting pics of Trudeau in blackface.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
The occasional occupier truck has a “Castreau” bedsheet sign (hopefully with eyeholes cut out for rally double duty).

Another few yards downfield:
https://twitter.com/MikeDucharme/status/1491097699466489857

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

tagesschau posted:

We already did, less than six months ago.

edit: And the government succeeded on a confidence vote literally a week ago.

"Let the people decide"

No, not like that

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/midmichigannow/status/1491120623661494273

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Eventually they're going to piss someone off who has both the power and the will to make an example of them.

Surely.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

They've blocked the Bluewater Bridge in Sarnia too. Those two bridges are a huge percentage of our cross border trade.

If this isn't a wake up call then we're completely hosed.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Remember when cops used to stop hostage takings?

Better days. Not great days, not even good really, but better than this bullshit.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

matty maroun would've been loving murdering people over that

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

They've blocked the Bluewater Bridge in Sarnia too. Those two bridges are a huge percentage of our cross border trade.

If this isn't a wake up call then we're completely hosed.

Fr if they can get away with this but leftist can’t even get away with picketing the G20 then our government is honestly already taken over.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Capital Letdown posted:

As somebody pointed out: he wishes to be that cool, but let's say that's true - what would that prove? Patti Reagan was fathered by a total piece of poo poo republican and she always has and likely always will have a disdain for republicans (as an example). Like that article said, I'm getting tired of living in somebody's juvenile fantasy.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

It was nice of them to box themselves in like that so they can all be arrested. Please.

I think I'm resigned to wearing an N95 mask everywhere, because all the provinces seem to be lifting mandates and I simply can't afford to miss anymore work from COVID-19 infection.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Kraftwerk posted:

You used to be able to win people over with arguments but now that as a society people are cherry picking what they want to be true (and can find culturally/tribally oriented news outlets to confirm bias) nobody can engage with anyone in good faith anymore.

this is a fallacy that actually kind of undermines and flies in the face of the broader points you were making

there isn’t really a magical time in the past where people where more agreeable and less polarized—if anything the white supremacy was usually more overt, more omnipresent, and more savage.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

It was nice of them to box themselves in like that so they can all be arrested. Please.

I think I'm resigned to wearing an N95 mask everywhere, because all the provinces seem to be lifting mandates and I simply can't afford to miss anymore work from COVID-19 infection.

The protests are actually at the on ramps. Those are shipping trucks they've trapped on the bridge.

TV showed the Windsor side and the "blockade" is 10-15 vehicles (no semis) and 40-50 morons. With the cops just directing traffic instead of breaking up such a small group.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Ok Comboomer posted:

this is a fallacy that actually kind of undermines and flies in the face of the broader points you were making

there isn’t really a magical time in the past where people where more agreeable and less polarized—if anything the white supremacy was usually more overt, more omnipresent, and more savage.

I don't if there was a time when you could win people over but I do think that social media has pretty much brain poisoned a generation for years to come. Before extremist disinfo was hard to come by unless you already ran in circules with extremists but not it is just a facebook link away. We used to joke about fwd fwd fwd fwd re: emails but that was chump change compared to the poo poo that is spewed freely in comment sections now. I would say the white supremacy poo poo is definitely more overtly present and savage now than before.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Weird how tough talking Premier Ford hasn’t said anything about the blockades. Is he having a hard time choosing which of his presidential cosplay windbreakers to wear?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Glimpse posted:

Weird how tough talking Premier Ford hasn’t said anything about the blockades. Is he having a hard time choosing which of his presidential cosplay windbreakers to wear?

He tweeted basically a traffic report informing of the blockades earlier but that's it.

I can only hope things are happening in the background but I highly doubt it.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yeah it was more there was a much stronger majority consensus because there were far less information streams for people to tap into.

Kojima was right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Madkal posted:

I don't if there was a time when you could win people over but I do think that social media has pretty much brain poisoned a generation for years to come. Before extremist disinfo was hard to come by unless you already ran in circules with extremists but not it is just a facebook link away. We used to joke about fwd fwd fwd fwd re: emails but that was chump change compared to the poo poo that is spewed freely in comment sections now. I would say the white supremacy poo poo is definitely more overtly present and savage now than before.

really? so you’re saying that things are worse for PoC, ethnic minorities, immigrants, indigenous people, gay people, trans people, and women now than they were in the past?

which generation do you think is irreparably brain poisoned now? The generation that voted for Reagan and Thatcher and Bush and Harper? Or is it the generation that voted for Democrats and Liberals when they talked “tough on crime” and promised not to raise taxes?

the ideologies that are considered “extremist” on social media today are in many ways the mainstream of 30 years ago.