Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Inventing memories to mask the pain of growing up in Ayr is something that a lot of people have done, I don't think people will judge you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1490949225412280322

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Bug Squash posted:

I dunno seems like a problem to me if right-wing weirdos are rioting and trying to kill people. Yes it's a chuckle that it was Kier this time, but people like Diane Abott are going to be solidly in the cross hairs of these freaks.

https://twitter.com/papapishu/status/746803108949409793

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Theres nothing good about poo poo slinging like this. Politicians throwing it at each other get it everywhere.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'll admit I had a flash of "good for ya u fucken oval office" when I saw Kieth getting hurried into a car, but if you think this is an encouraging sign for your country you need your head checked tbh

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Bug Squash posted:

I dunno seems like a problem to me if right-wing weirdos are rioting and trying to kill people. Yes it's a chuckle that it was Kier this time, but people like Diane Abott are going to be solidly in the cross hairs of these freaks.

Multiple people tried to assassinate Jeremy Corbyn and one of them actually killed a guy outside a mosque, surviving purely because the imam convinced the crowd that his lynching would be pointless.

Nobody is cheering the concept of lynch mobs running around the country, but this is a pr stunt organised by a Tory official with a history. It's also not something either leftists or vulnerable minority groups find new or surprising, these things don't start by targeting powerful securocrats. It signifies no material change for anyone I sympathise with, and along with dead Essex Tory prick, it's a nice reminder to said securocrats and powerful people that they might want to reconsider their domestic priorities.

They won't, of course. They never do. We're just enjoying the schadenfreude that the people who've spent their lives instantly dismissing anyone who uses the word "fascism" correctly are shocked and horrified to see the chickens come home to roost.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

At least this time the press actually cares that a bunch of childfuckers are harassing the nominal left.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Again, I can't really muster any energy for pious handwringing when this has been happening for years with the active encouragement of the Labour right, who are still at the same old poo poo after yesterday's attack.

This isn't an escalation, this is just an unfortunately familiar thing happening to someone who a few more people recognise as a real person.

https://twitter.com/amphitryoniades/status/1490830860249182208?s=21

https://twitter.com/amphitryoniades/status/1490830864195932160?s=21

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

Memories are weird.

The worst part is realising a memory you've convinced yourself was true is actually complete bollocks, and it happens more regularly the older you get :corsair:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Failed Imagineer posted:

if you think this is an encouraging sign for your country you need your head checked tbh

I don't think anyone has said that any of this is a good sign, but surely you must see the schadenfreude when one of the people who helped light the bonfires inadvertently sets themselves on fire?

Just for clarity, that's what people are focussing on and laughing at.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

fuctifino posted:

I don't think anyone has said that any of this is a good sign, but surely you must see the schadenfreude when one of the people who helped light the bonfires inadvertently sets themselves on fire?

Just for clarity, that's what people are focussing on and laughing at.

I guess you should re-read my last post?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Failed Imagineer posted:

I guess you should re-read my last post?

Ooops. That's embarrassing.

Well played :)

In other news, I've just had this photo of Nadine and her first husband pop up on my radar. She certainly goes for a type, doesn't she?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

fuctifino posted:

In other news, I've just had this photo of Nadine and her first husband pop up on my radar. She certainly goes for a type, doesn't she?

Nothing like a game of smell my finger with the missus. Who's the bloke?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

jiggerypokery posted:

Nothing like a game of smell my finger with the missus. Who's the bloke?

:five:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

fuctifino posted:

Disturbingly like Stanley Johnson.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

fuctifino posted:

Who's mommy's Big Dog? Who is it? Yes, you are, Boris! Yes you are!

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

Ah, even Sky News forgetting the rule on how to spell that surname - it's "-vile" as in that's what he was. A rule popular with tabloid hacks back in the day even before his crimes were well-known outside media/police circles, apparently. Isn't it lovely how they all knew, and said nothing?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Lol

https://twitter.com/elwrighty_then/status/1490991145685762049?s=21

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

That's loving incredible

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

That's loving incredible

jfc it's real :stonk:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Ah, even Sky News forgetting the rule on how to spell that surname - it's "-vile" as in that's what he was. A rule popular with tabloid hacks back in the day even before his crimes were well-known outside media/police circles, apparently. Isn't it lovely how they all knew, and said nothing?

I've said this before about the nature of coverups and "Everyone knew", but you don't need a vast conspiracy of hundreds of people for these sort of crimes to go undetected, the weight of society does most of the work for you. "Everyone knew" about Savile but then also "everyone knew" about Marc Almond, or Elton John, or Michael Douglas (not the goon) - rumours about celebrities sexual proclivities are as old as celebrity itself.

Of the people who actually *did* know, the majority would of course have been his actual victims, and the vast majority of them, sadly, would have said nothing for all the reasons why the victims of predators say nothing, but with the massive multiplier of his celebrity status meaning if they *did* say something to a parent, relative, friend, even a teacher or police officer, they'd have been encouraged to keep it quiet by many of them because the Big Telly Man couldn't possibly have done that, you must have misremembered it or made it up (and they may even have been told that by multiple people).

Then the ones who did know about it, and even believed it, would have felt that same crushing institutional force against them *without the institution actually doing anything to bring that force to bear*. The Nolan Sisters knew about Savile - he groped and propositioned one of them, and the others 100% believed her - but didn't say anything because he was one of the BBC's biggest stars and they felt they wouldn't be believed, and that it would destroy their careers if they pushed it. Now imagine how much bigger the power imbalance - and that weight, felt even if never imposed - was on just some poor random kid in the TOTP audience or a hospital bed. I don't know if Savile ever made that an explicit threat but he pretty much didn't have to, society was making it for him.

Savile got away with what he did for so long not because a group of crack BBC Men In Black were running around intimidating people into silence, with everyone from the doorman at Television Centre to the Director General enthusiastically asking him about his activities like they were discussing the weather and threatening to disappear anyone who made trouble, but because centuries of cultural conditioning programmed everyone from the doorman to the DG to just disregard anything they might have heard because to do otherwise would be to break the status quo and risk their own careers and livelihoods, especially as to almost all of those people it would have been just as much of an outlandish rumour as the contents of other stars stomachs or rectums.

This doesn't excuse the (often willful) blindness demonstrated by multiple people at the BBC but it misses the point if you paint it as a problem with specific individuals or groups, the problem is holistic, and you risk letting other predators go undetected if you don't also address that.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Total Meatlove posted:

Can anyone please remind me of the person the Eye take great delight in calling a liar because he was found to have lied in civil court, meaning they can't be found liable for libel?

That would be Jeffrey Archer.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

lmao they couldn't have been trying to kill this old man more if they just held the party and took turns coughing in his face.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

If he wanted to, could Starmer press libel charges?

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've said this before about the nature of coverups and "Everyone knew", but you don't need a vast conspiracy of hundreds of people for these sort of crimes to go undetected, the weight of society does most of the work for you. "Everyone knew" about Savile but then also "everyone knew" about Marc Almond, or Elton John, or Michael Douglas (not the goon) - rumours about celebrities sexual proclivities are as old as celebrity itself.

Of the people who actually *did* know, the majority would of course have been his actual victims, and the vast majority of them, sadly, would have said nothing for all the reasons why the victims of predators say nothing, but with the massive multiplier of his celebrity status meaning if they *did* say something to a parent, relative, friend, even a teacher or police officer, they'd have been encouraged to keep it quiet by many of them because the Big Telly Man couldn't possibly have done that, you must have misremembered it or made it up (and they may even have been told that by multiple people).

Then the ones who did know about it, and even believed it, would have felt that same crushing institutional force against them *without the institution actually doing anything to bring that force to bear*. The Nolan Sisters knew about Savile - he groped and propositioned one of them, and the others 100% believed her - but didn't say anything because he was one of the BBC's biggest stars and they felt they wouldn't be believed, and that it would destroy their careers if they pushed it. Now imagine how much bigger the power imbalance - and that weight, felt even if never imposed - was on just some poor random kid in the TOTP audience or a hospital bed. I don't know if Savile ever made that an explicit threat but he pretty much didn't have to, society was making it for him.

Savile got away with what he did for so long not because a group of crack BBC Men In Black were running around intimidating people into silence, with everyone from the doorman at Television Centre to the Director General enthusiastically asking him about his activities like they were discussing the weather and threatening to disappear anyone who made trouble, but because centuries of cultural conditioning programmed everyone from the doorman to the DG to just disregard anything they might have heard because to do otherwise would be to break the status quo and risk their own careers and livelihoods, especially as to almost all of those people it would have been just as much of an outlandish rumour as the contents of other stars stomachs or rectums.

This doesn't excuse the (often willful) blindness demonstrated by multiple people at the BBC but it misses the point if you paint it as a problem with specific individuals or groups, the problem is holistic, and you risk letting other predators go undetected if you don't also address that.

Multiple victims did complain to the police, and all their cases were buried. We all know that the police exchanged information with the tabloids so it's utterly unsurprising that the very serious allegations were indeed common knowledge in a certain milieu. If anything it's an indictment of how victims were and are treated in far too many cases by police when they try and report, even in cases where their attacker isn't a friend of literal royalty and the then-prime minister.

Believe me, I am very well aware of how rape culture operates, and how victims are systematically silenced. I don't think anything in my comment indicated otherwise. It's not engaging in conspiratorial thinking to point out that Savile's crimes were well-known enough for the "vile" epithet to be used as a grim aide-memoire by journalists writing about him, who certainly knew he was a wrong 'un.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

jiggerypokery posted:

Doubt it. Stamer did not prosecute Savile while DPP, and has previously apologised for it.

Nothing Johnson has said is technically false afaik.

e:Subsequently, in 2013, Starmer commissioned barrister Alison Levitt to investigate whether or not the CPS had been right not to charge Savile in 2009. She concluded that she had “reservations” about the decision not to proceed with criminal charges.

“On the face of it, the allegations made were both serious and credible; the prosecutor should have recognised this and sought to “build” a prosecution,” she said.

Sir Keir accepted Alison Levitt’s conclusions and apologised for the CPS’ “shortcomings” in the Savile case.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jiggerypokery posted:

IANAL:

Well you don't really "press charges" for libel, that's a criminal law thing. Anyway for the initial statement Johnson made no, he couldn't, because they were made in parliament and so are covered by parliamentary privilege. Had he made it outside parliament then he could probably take it to court but even with our plaintiff-friendly defamation laws it'd be a toss-up - lots of wriggle room for Johnson because he didn't just say "Starmer let Savile off". Even if he had though, it's not very common at all for one MP to sue another (part of why Ben Bradley got quite so sloppy with Corbyn and ended up having to Please Retweet) and for LOTO to sue the PM would be remarkable and absolutely 100% play into the Tory narrative, a bear trap so gaping even the idiots at the top of the Labour Party would probably notice and not fall into.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Multiple victims did complain to the police, and all their cases were buried. We all know that the police exchanged information with the tabloids so it's utterly unsurprising that the very serious allegations were indeed common knowledge in a certain milieu. If anything it's an indictment of how victims were and are treated in far too many cases by police when they try and report, even in cases where their attacker isn't a friend of literal royalty and the then-prime minister.

Believe me, I am very well aware of how rape culture operates, and how victims are systematically silenced. I don't think anything in my comment indicated otherwise. It's not engaging in conspiratorial thinking to point out that Savile's crimes were well-known enough for the "vile" epithet to be used as a grim aide-memoire by journalists writing about him, who certainly knew he was a wrong 'un.

Yeah I should have been clearer I wasn't exactly disagreeing with what you said, just pointing out that there's a difference between having knowledge of something and "everyone knowing".

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Starmer can't sue Johnson either because it was said in the House of Commons so he has privilege. Other Tories have been very careful not to repeat the allegation as Johnson made it.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

goddamnedtwisto posted:

IANAL:

Well you don't really "press charges" for libel, that's a criminal law thing. Anyway for the initial statement Johnson made no, he couldn't, because they were made in parliament and so are covered by parliamentary privilege. Had he made it outside parliament then he could probably take it to court but even with our plaintiff-friendly defamation laws it'd be a toss-up - lots of wriggle room for Johnson because he didn't just say "Starmer let Savile off". Even if he had though, it's not very common at all for one MP to sue another (part of why Ben Bradley got quite so sloppy with Corbyn and ended up having to Please Retweet) and for LOTO to sue the PM would be remarkable and absolutely 100% play into the Tory narrative, a bear trap so gaping even the idiots at the top of the Labour Party would probably notice and not fall into.
This is entirely accurate

ngl it was pretty funny watching his defenders squirming in interviews knowing full well they'd get sued if they repeated it

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/ITVNewsPolitics/status/1491014508495712257

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If only there were someone who could make them have consequences for the people who say them, lindsay, can't imagine who that could be.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

OwlFancier posted:

If only there were someone who could make them have consequences for the people who say them, lindsay, can't imagine who that could be.

No you see, clearly Johnson will take a stern comment from the Speaker to heart and mend his ways, and so....

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bring back bercow IMO, he would have been more fun.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Build Back Bercow

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OOORDEEEUUUGGGHH

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I'm sure most have seen this by now:

https://twitter.com/watsoncomedian/status/1490980433340899328

But check out this thread to see just how cliche this poo poo is:

https://twitter.com/mattlodder/status/1491019172175761409

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
What a great time to revisit this classic

My son’s tattoo hurt me deeply
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/aug/11/devastated-by-my-sons-tattoo

quote:

So I cry instead. I have a lump in my throat that stops me from eating. I feel as if someone has died. I keep thinking of his skin, his precious skin, inked like a pig carcass.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Navigating ships or other vessels, not just for sailors any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I had not seen it and could have gone my whole day without being reminded that melanie phillips exists, but as I have been I guess it isn't surprising that she is entirely unaware or uncaring that a century ago tattoos were high fashion.