Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Slamhound posted:

There's an argument to be made that it's like the idea "there's no such thing as an anti-war film."

If it's about a cop, it's copaganda. poo poo, cops love Vic Mackey.

well vervohoven also did starship troopers as pretty much a deliberate attempt to invert truffaut's law lol. i do think there's like some criticism you can make of robocop for being too pro-cop, but if anything it just makes the satire work better in retrospect- all the jokes about privitization of social services literally came true, except cops have even more free reign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Slamhound posted:

There's an argument to be made that it's like the idea "there's no such thing as an anti-war film."

Anything can be interpreted in bad faith by those intending to do so. I don’t agree that it devalues the actual message of the work.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Flesh Forge posted:

pretty sure she is saying she didn't like being made to empathize with the main character, who is a cop, which is a little dumb but pretty understandable imo

e: lol she is a dork tho
https://twitter.com/swordsjew/status/1490167131564040200

unnnghghgh lol

https://twitter.com/swordsjew/status/1490418729867530240

Some fun conversations in the replies lol

https://twitter.com/jonathan_kramer/status/1490169124135309313?t=2BoCVAPn_FpRkS8poYUHHA&s=19

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021

Slamhound posted:

paths of glory

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/shivanisharmaaa/status/1490625083257331712?t=IQwowGdn8Sv0JFbIkTyykQ&s=09

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
robocop was built by a megacorp and his first rule is "uphold the public trust" and "obey megacorp personnel" (or w/e) is dead last?

i can only suspend my disbelief so far

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Suspicious posted:

robocop was built by a megacorp and his first rule is "uphold the public trust" and "obey megacorp personnel" (or w/e) is dead last?

i can only suspend my disbelief so far

rules are made to be changed

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/ashnichrist/status/1490000334789488649?t=O3oTl7PdeWbzPFFI7f_VKg&s=19

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Slamhound posted:

Charles Ingalls posted:

paths of glory

come and see

but yeah i don't think i could come up with a proper cop example

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

that guy is the real life unironic version of "Mobile Infantry made me the man I am today" legless man

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Correct, a strong communist power will break capitalism so hard they'll end civilization.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

https://twitter.com/poppy_haze/status/1490390629448404995

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

There's no bad opinion she hasn't had.

https://twitter.com/chadloder/status/1490438920923795457

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Slamhound posted:

Bad Lieutenant seems like it would be hard to misinterpret

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Look, I don't know who needs to hear this, but Columbo was a pedophile.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Lower class, a thing poor people call themselves. I'm all but one of these, and I demand 10 bitcoins of reparations from this thread

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Violence owns. Thank you Mr Verhoeven.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
while many of you are likely yelling “GO ULTRAVIOLENCE” or “GO STARSHIP TROOPERS!” I’m yelling “GO ROBOCOP and the rule of law!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Bitch Lives Matter

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Buck Wildman posted:

Bitch Lives Matter

finally i feel seen

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

while many of you are likely yelling “GO ULTRAVIOLENCE” or “GO STARSHIP TROOPERS!” I’m yelling “GO ROBOCOP and the rule of law!

lol

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I would, unironically and very sincerely, buy that for a dollar

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

tokin opposition posted:

Lower class, a thing poor people call themselves. I'm all but one of these, and I demand 10 bitcoins of reparations from this thread

Poverty must become a marker of personal identity in order to be perceived by the liberal. I am lower class. I think of the macaroni-and-hot-dog meals my mother made in our efficiency apartment and proudly claim the identity for myself. I am a proud lower-class man.

Poverty is something done to you by the ruling class, and they’re not going to perceive the ruling class or what it does outside of maybe some person-first language about a “person of means” who can’t help inheriting a bomb factory.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Tricky D posted:

Bad Lieutenant seems like it would be hard to misinterpret

Isn't he messed up because he tried to be a hero and was injured?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

If that's actually a thing in the movie it's like, so faintly stated that it's totally drowned out by everything else in the movie, and unlikely to have been accidentally so

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Femur posted:

Isn't he messed up because he tried to be a hero and was injured?
Harvey Keitel, not Nicholas Cage.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

1) NATO is a defensive alliance. Countries join NATO by popular vote. When people use the term "NATO expansion", what they (should) mean is "sovereign countries voting to join".

2) NATO will never invade Russia. Russia has the largest nuclear arsenal on the planet. If NATO invades Russia, the world ends. Nobody wants that.

3) The Russian elite knows that NATO will never invade Russia. "Fear of NATO expansion" is just a cover for the actual goal, which is rebuilding the former Russian/Soviet sphere of influence. Some people want to treat Russia like some scared and confused animal without any agency of its own, lashing out against a perceived threat. This is an exotic misunderstanding of the situation.

4) If Russia feels "threatened" by sovereign countries joining a defensive alliance, that's Russia's problem. Imagine an abusive ex-husband feeling insecure about his ex-wife taking self-defense courses after he assaulted her multiple times following their divorce.

5) If Russia doesn't want NATO to expand, they shouldn't have created a puppet state inside Moldavia (1992), shouldn't have invaded Georgia (2008), shouldn't have annexed Crimea (2014), and shouldn't have maintained a low-intensity conflict in the Donbass (2014, ongoing).

6) It is possible to be critical of both US and Russian imperialism at the same time. In fact, you should be. It is also possible to say that both are bad, AND acknowledge that Russian imperialism is worse. After all, both powers engage in foreign interventions, but at least the US doesn't annex neighboring countries, or threaten them militarily. US imperialism tends to happen through "soft power", i.e. capitalism, economic pressure, etc, while Russian imperialism is more "scorched earth", i.e. rolling in the tanks immediately after a country tries to drift away from their sphere of influence. See Hungary in 1956, Czechoslovakia in 1968, Ukraine in 2014, and so on.

7) Supporting geopolitical enemies of the US will not help bring about a leftist utopia. As bad as the US is in many regards, its geopolitical enemies are far worse. Russia is an oligarchic autocracy that rigs elections and jails political opponents*, while China is a surveillance state tech-dystopia. Since there is no "third position", we choose the lesser of two evils, because above 80 IQ we do politics based on rationality, not raw emotions.
*No, the US wanting to jail Snowden is not the same as Russia jailing Alexei Navalny.

8) The last, most agreeable point: @HasanAbi should really stay away from this subject. So far, him offering any commentary on the Ukraine crisis did nothing but expose the disappointing limits of US-based leftie streamer bros. Except for @Vaush , who consistently had good takes about the situation.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Apparently the "buy that for a dollar" guy was some kind of sex pest in the first movie (it got cut) and was supposed to be president in the second robocop movie and that's pretty loving prescient.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i think the funniest and most ironic thing about "it is a complete and utter abrogation of ukrainian sovereignty to say they cannot join nato" is like... does ukraine have a right to a defensive military alliance with america? how is it not a violation of american sovereignty ot say they have to let ukraine join? like im american, i dont want any more fuckin countries to be part of our defensive alliance. i dont even want us to be in nato! its perfectly rational for ukraine to want to join nato of course but, too bad sorry.

also lmfao at saying vaush has good takes on this, he literally said we shoudl blockade and starve russia

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

lol. lmao.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

lobster shirt posted:

i think the funniest and most ironic thing about "it is a complete and utter abrogation of ukrainian sovereignty to say they cannot join nato" is like... does ukraine have a right to a defensive military alliance with america? how is it not a violation of american sovereignty ot say they have to let ukraine join? like im american, i dont want any more fuckin countries to be part of our defensive alliance. i dont even want us to be in nato! its perfectly rational for ukraine to want to join nato of course but, too bad sorry.
It's only ironic if you think the claim is that Ukraine has the right to join NATO, as opposed to the right to ask to join without Russia invading or otherwise loving with them. The actual position, which is so obvious as to not even be included, is: "it is a complete and utter abrogation of ukrainian sovereignty for a non-NATO country to say they cannot join nato". Omitting parts that (you believe) are obvious to all involved is a perfectly normal thing to do, otherwise you end up having to write loving essays whenever you want to make a point.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

30.5 Days posted:

Apparently the "buy that for a dollar" guy was some kind of sex pest in the first movie (it got cut) and was supposed to be president in the second robocop movie and that's pretty loving prescient.
this is incredible and I believe it 100% even with no evidence

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

30.5 Days posted:

as I remember it even in the clips that got left in he was already pretty handsy and skeevy

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
https://robocop.fandom.com/wiki/Bixby_Snyder

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Thank you robocop.fandom.com

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/arkloster/status/1490901471323324419?s=21

Since we’re talking about movie opinions.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Hachi loving machi

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

:dogwhistle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

hitting my head with a ball peen hammer in the exact spot to forget the professional and city of lost children so my name can never be invoked in an opinion like that