Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
The consensus of people listening to the zellos and other communication channels is that while it's westerners who did the initial organizing and are the face of the movement at press conferences, it's Quebec nationalists that are running most of the day to day logistics of fuel depot's, food etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
when supervalu ditched the key lime creme cookies you knew it was all over

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
i'm a dumb yankee but i really appreciate how the forum's best posters keep coming in here, telling y'all to stop "importing american politics" and getting roundly mocked

here's one of my favorite things your country has produced:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1S5pAF1YYA

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i don't like the snit video. idk why, i barely even remember it, but i have a visceral reaction. that's why i didn't post it earlier.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Reaction of my class in Toronto watching the hockey sweater on reel projector forever seared into my mind

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/wpgpolice/status/1490999240419524609?s=20&t=v5JU6-2blVicZPKHohDo4Q

v cool winnipeg police why dont you go get hosed you useless shits

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Hey police this is sort of like a hostage situation non?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
gee i wonder why the police have decided to negotiate with this one particular group of lawbreakers instead of just clubbing them in the head and throwing them in jail like they do with everybody else

it is a mystery

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

glad our cops knees aren’t hurting from pleasing the terrorists

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

"honored their word" lmao

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Who do I contact to let them know the hours of the day during which I'll respect the law

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Cloks posted:

here's one of my favorite things your country has produced:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1S5pAF1YYA

The NFB is a really good channel to follow - they uploads tons of interesting poo poo

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

vyelkin posted:

gee i wonder why the police have decided to negotiate with this one particular group of lawbreakers instead of just clubbing them in the head and throwing them in jail like they do with everybody else

it is a mystery

Probably because they have access to giant trucks and probably some weapons. Also it's much better organized than traditional leftist protests

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

glad our cops knees aren’t hurting from pleasing the terrorists

Protestors are terrorists lmao. Where are all the Marxists in this forum

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Terror Sweat posted:

missed the attempted murder that occured eh

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Terror Sweat posted:

Probably because they have access to giant trucks and probably some weapons. Also it's much better organized than traditional leftist protests
This is, uh, not as well organized as traditional leftist protests.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Terror Sweat posted:

Yeah that's not true. It seems better organized because the police are allowing them to have depot's and free movement through the city. They're not organized at all downtown. They just wander around yelling about the American constitution and harrassing people. There's no coherence or sense of purpose.

Also don't fall into the liberal democratic principles of equal rights. A protest is inseparable from it's purpose

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

cat botherer posted:

This is, uh, not as well organized as traditional leftist protests.

I'd argue it absolutely is. There are supply stations set up, barricades enacted, entrenched positions. These guys are set up for a long haul in winter, of all times. They've blocked off the border crossing, come on. You know that's impressive

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Terror Sweat posted:

an "organized" group of people harassing citizens, making insane noise pollution and dictating which rules they will follow are terrorists

these aren't protestors

E: like, these loving assholes are the ones telling cops when they will open a road - what the gently caress is this poo poo??

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
blocking the ambassador bridge isnt really that impressive, the coutts thing is more impressive tbh

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Whole lot easier to to set up barricades and supply stations when the cops are helping you instead of shooting at you dang who coulda guessed drat lazy lefties

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

missed the attempted murder that occured eh

By that logic literally every single major protest is a group of terrorists. You telling me there wasn't an attempted murder during the iraq war protests? How about the farmers march in India, no attempted murder there?

This is an ample opportunity by the left to organize and communicate with the disgruntled working class and instead they are being demonized as terrorists. This just leads them to the conservatives. Workers complaining about material conditions should always be embraced man. There is an opportunity here that is not being taken.
I know a lot of truckers that are supporting these guys, and they're immigrants who have been shafted by this pandemic and the government response for a while now. Back when it all started, they had to keep working as essential workers and were treated like trash to keep everything running. Do you know how undignified it is to have to poo poo in a bucket because all public restrooms are closed and you have a multihour trip? These grievances pile up

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

keep sucking anti-vaxx trucker dick

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, seems pretty easy to get organized when the police are literally doing nothing. Feel like it'd be a good bit different if you even had police handing out bylaw/parking tickets, or you know, not literally handing them a location to set up a supply camp.

Like didn't lefties take over a city core in the states for awhile the other year during the height of BLM protests? Felt like that pissed off the residents a whole lot less too.

Terror Sweat posted:

By that logic literally every single major protest is a group of terrorists. You telling me there wasn't an attempted murder during the iraq war protests? How about the farmers march in India, no attempted murder there?

This is an ample opportunity by the left to organize and communicate with the disgruntled working class and instead they are being demonized as terrorists. This just leads them to the conservatives. Workers complaining about material conditions should always be embraced man. There is an opportunity here that is not being taken.
I know a lot of truckers that are supporting these guys, and they're immigrants who have been shafted by this pandemic and the government response for a while now. Back when it all started, they had to keep working as essential workers and were treated like trash to keep everything running. Do you know how undignified it is to have to poo poo in a bucket because all public restrooms are closed and you have a multihour trip? These grievances pile up

This by all accounts is a very small minority of truckers. It's a bunch of angry white men who are clearly well off enough to not be working to have a little tantrum, not poor frontline workers.

People have said it countless times that there'd be a ton more sympathy if these people were remotely protesting actual worker issues like pay and hours, but instead it's bitching about having to be vaccinated.

Oxyclean has issued a correction as of 17:15 on Feb 8, 2022

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Defending the right wing attempt to burn down am apartment building after locking the exits, but in a leftist way. Very normal

This is exactly the same as smashing the windows of a walmart

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Wow the cops are not cracking down on reactionary agitators? Successful leftist protests eh' comrades.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Terror Sweat posted:

This is an ample opportunity by the left to organize and communicate with the disgruntled working class

oh ya this will work, surely

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
That being said, perhaps it might be a good time to set up an opposing occupation? The cops seem busy fraternising, so an occupy-esque thing might have a bit of a chance. Plus, the media would have a slightly harder time poo poo-talking one protest while promoting another one.
Course, the negative side is that there's a big pandemic that encourages people staying home to prevent spread, so it's kind of hard to pick the specific issue that could galvanize people. I guess Ottawa could use a mutual support group to work against all these truckers, but otherwise in cities where they are just riding around for a few hours and then going home, you can't do much more than block them.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Ardent Communist posted:

That being said, perhaps it might be a good time to set up an opposing occupation?

there's already been attempts and for SOME REASON cops instantly shut those down

i wonder why :thunk:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Terror Sweat posted:

imo you're falling into the classic conceptual trap of conflating a tiny group of reactionaries with "the disgruntled working class" just because they claim that's who they are. Yes, there are legitimate grievances with how poorly Covid has been handled in Canada just like almost everywhere else and yes, the left should be doing its best to capitalize on those grievances, but the solution to that is not to say "these white supremacists antivaxxers have the right idea because at a stretch you can link their demands to material conditions". That part isn't even true, the organizers of this movement are QAnon conspiracy theorists who think Bill Gates invented the pandemic to inject 5G microchips into our blood and think Trudeau is doing the Muslim Great Replacement who seized on what they could tell would be a more palatable message, not actual truck drivers concerned about the vaccine mandate. The vast majority of Canadian truck drivers are vaccinated, this is a preexisting reactionary movement seizing on resistance to public health measures as a tool to rally others behind reactionary narratives and literal neo-Nazi messages about how they don't want you to know that Hitler had some good ideas. This is not hyperbole, that is literally what their organizers have been caught saying on public voice channels.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Ardent Communist posted:

That being said, perhaps it might be a good time to set up an opposing occupation? The cops seem busy fraternising, so an occupy-esque thing might have a bit of a chance. Plus, the media would have a slightly harder time poo poo-talking one protest while promoting another one.
I don't think they'd bat an eye at poo poo-talking an opposing occupation. Here's group A with a goal, a purpose, the good of the Canadian people at heart. Here's group B who only showed up to cause poo poo and take advantage of the stretched capacity of our poor cops.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ardent Communist posted:

Course, the negative side is that there's a big pandemic that encourages people staying home to prevent spread, so it's kind of hard to pick the specific issue that could galvanize people. I guess Ottawa could use a mutual support group to work against all these truckers, but otherwise in cities where they are just riding around for a few hours and then going home, you can't do much more than block them.

places other than Ottawa, this has worked. Vancouver successfully stopped a protest by blocking the street with bicycles, and some people from this thread were there as part of that successful counter-protest. In Ottawa I'm doubtful about the efficacy because the cops have made it very clear that they're on the side of the protesters and would likely shut down any attempted left-wing occupation as quick as possible

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

Terror Sweat posted:

no, there was no attempt at murdering an apartment building full of people during the Iraq war protests

you are full of poo poo, likely know no truckers, and the world would be better off if you spontaneously asphyxiated. Sanewashing this is reprehensible after their harassment of random citizens, doctors and nurses, and residents nearby instead of actually making any attempt at targeting their actual perceived antagonists. They didn’t blockade parliament, or go poo poo up rockland or manotick where the politicians actually live.

the cops gave these people a logistics site and coordinated supply runs. they faced no institutional opposition in their set up. Their demands have nothing to do with working conditions for truckers and are premised around insane demands for a takeover of government.

They are the malignant cancer of North American quiet fascism finally metastasizing and you are as much of a tumor as they are.

Ron Paul Atreides has issued a correction as of 17:30 on Feb 8, 2022

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
the working class truckers in ontario have been trying to raise money and support to deal with things like wage theft. last i checked their legal defense fund managed to raise like maybe 18k

meanwhile these mostly white owner-operators and chud co-conspirators are being funded to the tune of MILLIONS by american right-wing interests far beyond the scope our major political parties even raise locally

this IS different than a normal right wing protest. we've had HUNDREDS of normal right wing protests since the pandemic began, we know the difference.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
making it so that healthcare workers have to commute to work in disguise because they could be targeted by spontaneous street violence, but in a leftist way to protest how essential workers have been treated like dogshit

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

the working class truckers in ontario have been trying to raise money and support to deal with things like wage theft. last i checked their legal defense fund managed to raise like maybe 18k

meanwhile these mostly white owner-operators and chud co-conspirators are being funded to the tune of MILLIONS by american right-wing interests far beyond the scope our major political parties even raise locally

this IS different than a normal right wing protest. we've had HUNDREDS of normal right wing protests since the pandemic began, we know the difference.

this genuinely feels like a reactionary, non intelligence coordinated attempt at a colour revolution. What happens will depend on if they get the support of major capitalists in Canada, which they probably won’t because major capitalists are the ones who want vaccination requirements

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cold on a Cob posted:

It really feels like more of the same but on a much larger scale. It's crazy that foreign news picked it up and we now have people from US and other countries stumbling into the thread to chime in. I could be lying about other countries, maybe it's just US.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

It really feels like more of the same but on a much larger scale. It's crazy that foreign news picked it up and we now have people from US and other countries stumbling into the thread to chime in. I could be lying about other countries, maybe it's just US.

I’ve had the inclining that the CIA tactics during the mid to late cold war have just percolated into American reactionary circles and now they mimic domestically/within westernized countries in the same media sphere. This is like a cargo cult colour revolution. lots of monetary and media support for the overthrow of a foreign gov by a reactionary fringe elevated to be the avatar of the ‘common man’ in Canada, big showy protests in the capital rife with violent confrontation, the tacit alliance of some of the security apparatus. It’s missing the actual institutional players who want the overthrow though. so its just a big stupid mess instead

Ron Paul Atreides has issued a correction as of 17:40 on Feb 8, 2022

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://old.reddit.com/r/ottawa/comments/sn5ysp/how_the_ottawa_residents_were_abandoned_by_all/

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

I’ve had the inclining that the CIA tactics during the mid to late cold war have just percolated into American reactionary circles and now they mimic domestically/within westernized countries in the same media sphere. This is like a cargo cult colour revolution.

I have the feel that this is something of a 'recon by fire' - they're probing the defenses of the western governments and society to see what they can get away with, beyond the usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Terror Sweat posted:

Shut up dipshit pro covid isnt material conditions

Mameluke has issued a correction as of 17:51 on Feb 8, 2022