Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

harperdc posted:

You can make the primes fast enough to not really need it?

Basically this in my experience.

It’s pretty rare that I need image stabilization with a prime lens on my Fujis. In fact, I think the only Fuji manufactured prime with OIS is the $6k 200mm prime.

Most of the time I want image stabilization is when my focal length is >135mm - so effectively the zoom lenses.

Ninja edit: plus you have a number of options for the Fuji X bodies that include IBIS - X-H1, X-T4, X-S10. I don’t own any of those but I’ve used the X-T4 and it was solid.

rufius fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

rufius posted:

Basically this in my experience.

It’s pretty rare that I need image stabilization with a prime lens on my Fujis. In fact, I think the only Fuji manufactured prime with OIS is the $6k 200mm prime.

Most of the time I want image stabilization is when my focal length is >135mm - so effectively the zoom lenses.

Ninja edit: plus you have a number of options for the Fuji X bodies that include IBIS - X-H1, X-T4, X-S10. I don’t own any of those but I’ve used the X-T4 and it was solid.

Their expensive 80mm macro has image stabilization too.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Finger Prince posted:

Their expensive 80mm macro has image stabilization too.

Ah I forgot about that thing. I’ve never used it - the one person I know with one seems very torn about it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

rufius posted:

Ah I forgot about that thing. I’ve never used it - the one person I know with one seems very torn about it.

A macro lens should be a pretty simple device, it doesn't have to be very fast, it doesn't need ultrafast autofocus, IS is a nice to have but if the body has it the lens doesn't really need it (and arguably doesn't need it at all for studio stuff). So it's really hard to justify the stupendous price of the thing.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
A lot of a longer focal length 1x 80-100mm macros are often "dual purpose" sold/used as portrait lenses and thus have wide apertures and IS.

Canon 100mm L f/2.8 IS is a classic example.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

qirex posted:

More cheap Fuji lenses would be good because I know I'm eventually going to fall off the X100 wagon, probably around when the X-pro 4 comes out [provided they make the screen less stupid].

I know I'm in the minority here but I absolutely love the X-Pro3 screen setup. After about 10 minutes of use to build some muscle memory it's just as fast to review photos as having a regular screen and it's protected when you're not using the screen, which for me is like 95% of the time. Also it works great for quickly moving to waist level or lower shots. I know you can do the same with the X100V but it always seemed a bit fiddly compared to the simplicity of the X-Pro3.

If I had to bet on it I think Fuji will change the X-Pro4 screen, because I think a majority of users didn't like it very much but I really hope they expand on the current design rather than just moving to the X100V style.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

CRAYON posted:

I know I'm in the minority here but I absolutely love the X-Pro3 screen setup. After about 10 minutes of use to build some muscle memory it's just as fast to review photos as having a regular screen and it's protected when you're not using the screen, which for me is like 95% of the time. Also it works great for quickly moving to waist level or lower shots. I know you can do the same with the X100V but it always seemed a bit fiddly compared to the simplicity of the X-Pro3.

If I had to bet on it I think Fuji will change the X-Pro4 screen, because I think a majority of users didn't like it very much but I really hope they expand on the current design rather than just moving to the X100V style.

Ah, I see you too are a man of culture. My main camera is the XPro-3. It’s my favorite.

That said, I also have an X-T30 ii and that thing is super nice to grab on my way out the door with my 18mm f2. A good backup camera or super lightweight one.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I really want to join the X-Pro3 club this year and keep the X-T20 around as a backup/second body. I also am not super turned off by the back screen, but I also just appreciate Fujifilm’s dedication to the quirks.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I have the fuji 80mm macro and I enjoy it as a portrait lens in addition to the macro, although admittedly portraiture isn’t a genre I do much of anymore.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I have the fuji 80mm macro and I enjoy it as a portrait lens in addition to the macro, although admittedly portraiture isn’t a genre I do much of anymore.

I have been eyeballing that thing. I tend to favor small lenses heavily so the main thing holding me back is how big it is. I know it has OIS but the 60mm is much smaller.

Also the 60mm is way cheaper even if it’s older tech.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Anyone got opinions on Laowa lenses?

In particular, I’m eyeing the 9mm for Fuji X-mount. I know it’s manual focus and no EXIF data. Mostly interested in quality of images from it. I am fine with the aforementioned limitations.

I’m also sorta interested in the f/0.95 33mm as a curiosity. Just trying to get a sense of the brand.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

rufius posted:

In particular, I’m eyeing the 9mm for Fuji X-mount. I know it’s manual focus and no EXIF data. Mostly interested in quality of images from it. I am fine with the aforementioned limitations.

I’m also sorta interested in the f/0.95 33mm as a curiosity. Just trying to get a sense of the brand.

I haven’t used it myself, but have you seen Jonas Rask’s review of it? He compares to a few other 0.95 lenses at similar price points: https://jonasraskphotography.com/2021/05/03/another-one-the-laowa-argus-33mm-f-0-95-apo-review/

Also, whenever I try to get a sense of what a lens can do I see if there’s a common Instagram tag for it. This one looks to be #laowa33mmf095

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

frogbs posted:

I haven’t used it myself, but have you seen Jonas Rask’s review of it? He compares to a few other 0.95 lenses at similar price points: https://jonasraskphotography.com/2021/05/03/another-one-the-laowa-argus-33mm-f-0-95-apo-review/

Also, whenever I try to get a sense of what a lens can do I see if there’s a common Instagram tag for it. This one looks to be #laowa33mmf095

Ah nice recommendation. I think I ran across Jonas Rask in the past but hadn't realized they review consistently.

I'll take a look at the instagram tag too. Thanks!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

rufius posted:

9mm Hummingbirds by B. B., on Flickr

9mm Chicken by B. B., on Flickr

I like it. The colors are really nice, and at 9mm, hard not to get the object in focus.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

All of the current gen X-trans Fuji cameras are really nice and if I had to choose one (in addition to the xt30 I already have) to buy for some reason it would be the XPro3.

But there appears to be a new sensor coming this year on the X-H2. I’ve been holding on to my old D810 because there are circumstances where higher detail and dynamic range are more important than the other qualities, and I’m hoping that what Fuji is coming out with will be close enough.

However there’s a rumor that there will be two X-H2s, one with a 40MP sensor (ostensibly implemented to enable 8k video) and another with, apparently, the old 26MP sensor.. which seems to hint to me that there will maybe be some compromises (perhaps in dynamic range) involved in using the 40MP sensor for stills.

So I guess we’ll see; maybe I’m holding out on the new Fuji cameras for nothing, and will end up keeping the D810 for a few more years.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Fuji :words:

However there’s a rumor that there will be two X-H2s, one with a 40MP sensor (ostensibly implemented to enable 8k video) and another with, apparently, the old 26MP sensor.. which seems to hint to me that there will maybe be some compromises (perhaps in dynamic range) involved in using the 40MP sensor for stills.

So I guess we’ll see; maybe I’m holding out on the new Fuji cameras for nothing, and will end up keeping the D810 for a few more years.

Ya - for me at least, the current gen of Fuji hardware for me (XPro-3 and X-T30ii) are sufficient for most of my shooting.

If I were gonna get anything new, I’m eyeing the GFX50R medium format. But even used, that’s like a 3500-5000 buy in for the body and a lens.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

rufius posted:

Ya - for me at least, the current gen of Fuji hardware for me (XPro-3 and X-T30ii) are sufficient for most of my shooting.

If I were gonna get anything new, I’m eyeing the GFX50R medium format. But even used, that’s like a 3500-5000 buy in for the body and a lens.

Not sure if you know already, but the GFX 50R body is $2999 new right now: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1436551-REG/fujifilm_600020523_gfx_50r_medium_format.html

And you can get the GF 50mm 3.5 for $799 after mail in rebate: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1491968-REG/fujifilm_600021097_gf_50mm_f_3_5_r.html

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

frogbs posted:

Not sure if you know already, but the GFX 50R body is $2999 new right now: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1436551-REG/fujifilm_600020523_gfx_50r_medium_format.html

And you can get the GF 50mm 3.5 for $799 after mail in rebate: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1491968-REG/fujifilm_600021097_gf_50mm_f_3_5_r.html

Literally right after I posted that I started looking again and found that deal.

Then I saw the GFX50S ii which has IBIS is $4500 with a decent zoom (28-55mm equiv).

I’m currently trying to talk myself out of buying the latter…

I may go rent one from the big camera shop nearby and see if I like how it handles. I’m more of a low light and manual focus shooter so the gripes I have read about “slow auto focus” aren’t really a big deal to me.

Ninja edit: Annnnnd the camera shop does not rent the GFX series. Damnit.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Laowa wide angle lenses are fun- or at least, I like using my 7.5mm f2. I have the entirely dead version. I understand there’s a version 2 now that communicates exif to the camera.

I use the 7.5mm so much when I recently (last month) went out with my Panasonic 25mm 1.7 I was surprised at the only battery I’d thought to bring running down

the battery life advantage has me considering the siren call of adapting old manual focus lenses to my lumix g95 again, with the added bonus of being able to adapt them to my xpro 1 …

I don’t know anything about C mount lenses except for this video that came up in my YouTube queue:

https://youtu.be/pKvErzFAbIo

I tried a CCTV lens on a Sony NEX-5N back in uh 2012(?) and wasn’t impressed but using old Super 8/Super 16 lenses seems interesting

I don’t know about the utility of a pistol grip and the wild lcd magnifier he has going but it’s sure a look

wolfs fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 15, 2022

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

SMERSH Mouth posted:

The 70-300 is pretty good; I use it for casual bird/wildlife and have no complaints. It’s not the 100-400 but it’s less than half the cost and it is compatible with TCs.

But even if you wanted to get one it seems like they’re always out of stock at the major retailers.

I remembered this post and rented the 70-300 for a trip next week visiting my parents in Florida. $72 for 8 days which isn’t too bad. Looking forward to trying it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

wolfs posted:

the battery life advantage has me considering the siren call of adapting old manual focus lenses to my lumix g95 again, with the added bonus of being able to adapt them to my xpro 1 …

I use Pentax K and Minolta lenses with my Lumix GX8 fairly often and the battery always lasts much longer, which is good because I've somehow managed to lose two batteries over the last few months.

the Pentax SMC M series and SMC A lenses in particular are great with micro 4/3, I've discovered. very lightweight and very solid lenses. i just picked up a Roxsen k-mount to m4/3 focal reducer/speed booster too, which will essentially turn my 150mm 3.5 into a ~108mm 2.5

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have a eos-r and on the weekend I did a portrait
shoot and used the sigma 135mm f/1.8 art for 99% of it and I took 1400 photos over 3 hours lol and the first 1200+ were on the first battery, and it didn’t actually go flat before I swapped it, prolly could have done the whole lot on the one.

I am so god drat happy with this camera and this lens

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

echinopsis posted:

I have a eos-r and on the weekend I did a portrait
shoot and used the sigma 135mm f/1.8 art
I am so god drat happy with this camera and this lens

That sounds like a drat smooth combo! I don't seem to hear this praised too much, but the mirrorless and super thin DoF third party lenses must totally avoid the autofocus complaints gearheads used to make, right? Perfect focus accuracy?

I'm doubling down on m4/3 and (back)ordered an OM-1. Can't wait to finally try mirrorless phase-detect focus for woodland birds.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Alpenglow posted:

That sounds like a drat smooth combo! I don't seem to hear this praised too much, but the mirrorless and super thin DoF third party lenses must totally avoid the autofocus complaints gearheads used to make, right? Perfect focus accuracy?

Yeah, if I am doing portrait and use face/eye detection, the autofocus is incredible. I always thought you needed large pixel counts to compensate for the never-very-good sharpness at 1:1 zoom but this combo has utterly changed my mind about whats possible lol.

wish I had some examples to share.

I do love the combo yes, and I am frustrated I don't have much use for it.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Yeah I used apsc DSLRs for most of my early photography years and I think the low pixel counts and wide DoF of the systems I used must’ve made up for a lot of focus fuckery. After getting my hands on a D810 with Tamron 45/1.8 and comparing it to my X-T30, even stopped down to f/2.8 to make it fairer, I’m still alternating between amazement at the Fuji’s focus accuracy and :wtf:ing at the miss rate on the Nikon. But looking back on my old photos from the XTi and hell even the 7D days… it seems like it’s just a DSLR thing.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My miss rate on my a7iii compared to my 50d or 5d2 is night and day better. I used to shoot weddings and my keepers dramatically increased with my a7. Newer cameras and af tech have changed the game.

Verman fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 6, 2022

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah my 7D was... average for focus

I wasn't sure how I would embrace the mirrorless revolution but I haven't looked back for a second.

between nailing the exposure and focus, I am virtually totally content.

now I just need another lens. my 135mm is amazing, but inflexible. I think I am aiming for a 35mm and then deciding that has to be it. has to be. HAS TO BE

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this is 1:1 in lightroom. camera is eos-r and lens is canon 100mm macro f2.8. very nice lens

this is 1:1 on the same eos-r with the sigma 135mm f1/8

its nice and if you ask me the grain is pleasant enough too

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
what do people use their 35mm lenses (on an APS-C) for? I have a Fujinon 35mm f/2, but I've found that I use it the least out of my lenses--I mostly shoot on the street and the 23mm f/2 occupies that sweet spot--especially when it comes to photographing cats.

Thought of using it for street portraits (I might do a casual shoot with a friend soon), but idk I might just default to the 23mm instead lol

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Lily Catts posted:

what do people use their 35mm lenses (on an APS-C) for? I have a Fujinon 35mm f/2, but I've found that I use it the least out of my lenses--I mostly shoot on the street and the 23mm f/2 occupies that sweet spot--especially when it comes to photographing cats.

Thought of using it for street portraits (I might do a casual shoot with a friend soon), but idk I might just default to the 23mm instead lol

My Fuji 35 f/1.4 is probably my most heavily used lens on my Fuji X stuff. I tend to keep a little distance and I like the bokeh it generates.

Edit: I’ve used the 35mm f/2 and I found it pretty uninspiring. Just wasn’t for me. So I probably wouldn’t use it much either.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

rufius posted:

My Fuji 35 f/1.4 is probably my most heavily used lens on my Fuji X stuff. I tend to keep a little distance and I like the bokeh it generates.

Edit: I’ve used the 35mm f/2 and I found it pretty uninspiring. Just wasn’t for me. So I probably wouldn’t use it much either.

I've heard nothing but good things about the 35 f/1.4, but I wanted a smaller, cheaper, and weather-sealed lens... I'm not really one to shoot wide-open, I prefer to stop down actually, so the bokeh might be wasted on me.

Think I'll just have to force myself to go out with it as my only lens and get a real feel for it..

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Lily Catts posted:

Maybe try something a little longer than 35mm? I've never liked the 35mm focal length on APSC either, it's usually right in-between where I want things to be, it's just never felt right as a general/walk-around focal length for me. I've found I use anything wider or longer more. I sold my 35mm 1.4 and am going to get a 56mm 1.2 for portrait stuff, and a 23mm for normal.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I still like my 35mm f2 on my X-T3 but I do admit I go for my 23mm more often.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I’m curious to see how the new Sigma x mount trio performs. That 30mm 1.4 is under $400 new.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Looking for the best camera I can get for STREAMING video between 2-4k at the highest frame rate and lowest latency. Most importantly without a timer cutting off the recording. My current Nikon only shoots video for 35 minutes. Looks great but it's far too heavy a camera and the time out after half an hour is a deal breaker. I need something that is light and small and can stream for hours. I would use a webcam or something but the quality just isn't there compared to my Nikon D850. Actually - I have already tried 3 different webcams and they all suck compared to the quality I get from my Nikon. My research tells me Panasonic or Blackmagic cameras are the best for video but I was hoping someone here can give me advice.

Should I try renting a Panasonic or Blackmagic camera before buying? There aren't very many options locally for that. Or should I buy something from Best buy with the idea of returning it, if it doesn't work out?

Lastly, I need a macro lens or a camera capable of streaming VERY sharp footage at VERY high frame rates about 6-12 inches from the subject. Basically I am trying to do what this guy does but stream it in at least 2k flawlessly.
https://www.instagram.com/cadboy_hk/

Had lots of problems with latency using webcams and problems with bulk / weight if I use my Nikon. Looking for the right solution for this problem. Gopro won't work because it doesn't work with my software and although light and small, isn't great for a variety of other reasons. Namely I have to use a magewell capture device with it - which again causes latency.

Any ideas for a very small / light camera which streams without a time limit and shoots 2-4k at 30-60fps or more?

Currently eyeing this one.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1401512-REG/blackmagic_design_pocket_cinema_camera_4k.html?sts=pi&pim=Y

Oh - almost forgot. The camera MUST work well under low light conditions. I know Sony is maybe best for low light stuff.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 10, 2022

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
GH5 or 6?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

You mean me? Not sure *which* panasonic. That's part of why I am asking. I only know Panasonic and Blackmagic are arguably the best for video. Sony best for low light and Olympus best for IBIS and Fujitsu possibly best for motion tracking. Those are generalization but that's what I learned from this thread specifically.

What I need is:

No battery cut off / streaming video indefinitely.
High frame rates 30-60fps or more.
Zero latency.
2-4k resolution or more.
Very good low light performance.
Pancake lens or at least a macro lens with minimum physical length. (85mm or above?)
Portability / small and light.

I see a used Panasonic G7 for $490 which seems reasonable.

quote:

Panasonic LUMIX G7 4K Digital Camera With LUMIX 14-42mm Lens
Like new condition mirrorless camera with only 815 shutter count. Body doesn't show any major signs of use. This sale includes camera body, 14-42mm lens, lens hood, 2 batteries and charger. It has a swivel screen and records 4K video.

Here is something maybe better (?)

quote:

Panasonic Lumix FZ300 4k Camera
$400 · In stock
Amazing 4k video quality
25-600mm zoom range
Fully articulating screen (flip out screen)
Comes with charger, lens hood, and lens caps!

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 10, 2022

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Lily Catts posted:

Its close to 50mm on a full frame. So its good for portraits, but I mostly use it for walk about lens when I fancy having just a little bit extra reach over my 24mm(35mm eq), mostly for taking pictures of my dog on walks but it definitely gets less use for sure.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

Its close to 50mm on a full frame. So its good for portraits, but I mostly use it for walk about lens when I fancy having just a little bit extra reach over my 24mm(35mm eq), mostly for taking pictures of my dog on walks but it definitely gets less use for sure.

Same since I’m always chasing kids. I find I either like to be close enough to use a 24 or 28mm equivalent or far enough to start using 50 or 75.

No dig on 35mm equivalent, just not really how I use my cameras. Though I’ve been using a 40mm equiv lately a lot and really like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
sigma 6 if I were you I'd rent a couple different things since what you want seems pretty specific. If this is for streaming, is there any reason you couldn't adjust video/audio delay to account for latency? No matter what you get it's gonna have some and streaming inherently adds latency anyway. Most consumer dslr/mirrorless things are gonna have at least 3 frames or so of delay on the output.

The pocket cinema camera 4k isn't that much smaller than a D850 really, though M4/3 lenses can be much more compact, and low light is OK but not great. The 6k might do a little better in low light. Probably worth a rental IF you're going to use external power — both are really battery hungry. The FZ superzoom thing you linked has a little 1/2 sensor and I can't imagine it's going to do what you want.