Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
lmao it starts "An anonymous mother has confided on the parenting platform Mumsnet that she is “devastated” by her 26-year-old daughter’s tattoos."

literally crying right now about her full chest piece of the word 'gender' surrounded by scary middlesbrough outbuildings

e: Now he's getting a tattoo yeah, he's getting ink done
He asked for a 13, but they drew an existential crisis of humanity in the post-religious world

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I forgot how good that was. Guardian has such amazing opinion writers. Artists even.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Every time I see this posted I audibly laugh at my screen, can't believe it's a whole decade old now.

Guardian.txt

quote:

I stand, a lone tyrannosaurus, bellowing at a world I don’t understand.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Bring back bercow IMO, he would have been more fun.

Parliament hasn't been the same since Bercxit

Guavanaut posted:

e: Now he's getting a tattoo yeah, he's getting ink done
He asked for a 13, but they drew an existential crisis of humanity in the post-religious world

Some of the finest merging of topic and page number nonsense in a long time :golfclap:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I had not seen it and could have gone my whole day without being reminded that melanie phillips exists, but as I have been I guess it isn't surprising that she is entirely unaware or uncaring that a century ago tattoos were high fashion.

Women were having permanent makeup tattoos all through WW2, both saving money on very scarce cosmetics and also of course saving themselves time and hassle between 12-hour factory shifts and keeping house. The fashion stayed on through the 50s and quite deep into the 60s, it was really only in the 60s that they stopped getting them, not least because it was seen as an old-lady thing to do at that point.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I guess it isn't surprising that she is entirely unaware or uncaring that a century ago tattoos were high fashion.
The latter half of the 19th century was also full of the world's stupidest shouting about how Darwin and Nietzsche and Joseph Swan had all killed God so maybe it just keeps coming in waves.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Women were having permanent makeup tattoos all through WW2, both saving money on very scarce cosmetics and also of course saving themselves time and hassle between 12-hour factory shifts and keeping house. The fashion stayed on through the 50s and quite deep into the 60s, it was really only in the 60s that they stopped getting them, not least because it was seen as an old-lady thing to do at that point.

Saved them having to choose between looking nice for the pub and having gravy on their tea too I guess

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could really replace the entirety of the right wing commentariat with a robot that just repeats "if you don't like it then it must be a new sin against the natural order of the universe"

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
When it comes to bodies, right wingers do tend to have an obsession with purity which leans less on historicity and more on their own attitudes to tradition and body autonomy. Tattoos are, and have always been, cool.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/BareLeft/status/1491099419638657028

Cool and good

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I tend to agree honestly that I don't think I have ever seen someone I thought looked better with tattoos and wouldn't see the point in getting one, but it doesn't have to be the collapse of western civilization that people do. It's just aesthetics and it has basically zero impact on everyone else whether or not you get one.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Some of the finest merging of topic and page number nonsense in a long time :golfclap:

:golfclap: indeed. You gotta respect a topic/pagenumber crossover

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

I can't believe this baseless accusations genie won't go back into the bottle

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Please no-one answer that question.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I'm waiting for them to also bring up how Starmer was head of the DPP when it was decided to let John Worboys (who raped Carrie Johnson) avoid further charges.

They're probably keeping that one in the back pocket for the next election... but then I thought that about the Savile thing. Turns out there just needed to be a sufficiently large crisis for such a big dead cat I guess.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Isomermaid posted:

When it comes to bodies, right wingers do tend to have an obsession with purity which leans less on historicity and more on their own attitudes to tradition and body autonomy. Tattoos are, and have always been, cool.

In Britain of all places. The name literally means place of the painted people. It's about as close to a foundational tradition as we have.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I tend to agree honestly that I don't think I have ever seen someone I thought looked better with tattoos and wouldn't see the point in getting one, but it doesn't have to be the collapse of western civilization that people do. It's just aesthetics and it has basically zero impact on everyone else whether or not you get one.
Tā moko are about the only tattoos that don't seem naff. But other than that, whatever floats people's boat.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

WhatEvil posted:

I'm waiting for them to also bring up how Starmer was head of the DPP when it was decided to let John Worboys (who raped Carrie Johnson) avoid further charges.

They're probably keeping that one in the back pocket for the next election... but then I thought that about the Savile thing. Turns out there just needed to be a sufficiently large crisis for such a big dead cat I guess.
Exploiting a personal tragedy for political gain like that would be in very poor taste, surely Johnson wouldn't actuahahahahaha sorry, just remembering DC(WFADP)'s son, jfc that was gross

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Collateral posted:

In Britain of all places. The name literally means place of the painted people. It's about as close to a foundational tradition as we have.

Slathering myself in woad for the last night of the proms to own the libs

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I don't approve of tattoos, they're horrid.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

:goonsay:

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I don't approve of tattoos, they're horrid.

:spergin:

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

The peakiest of peak Grauniad.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFvqDaFpXeM

When the evil company guy gets blown up by the robot it's funny because it's his fault for building the robot that kills people, even though people getting killed by robots is not, in isolation, funny.

This is called "irony"

A bit late, but the guy who gets greased isn't the robot's creator is he? Judging by his craven behaviour and selection for the display itself, he's the junior person in the room. He's the guy that's overwhelmed with pride at going to the big boys meeting, when he's only really there so his boss doesn't have to carry the lever arch files. A comparatively innocent bystander, basically.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Unless it's like a map to dry land or something informative.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Unless it's like a map to dry land or something informative.

Or "NotJustANumber99 - do not read his posts" written backwards across your chest

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the tattoo is only for working class scum debate was settled when we had the minor scandal of samantha cameron being revealed to have had a tiny dolphin tatt on her ankle, and after a day the chattering classes agreed they we cool and good actually

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Endjinneer posted:

A bit late, but the guy who gets greased isn't the robot's creator is he? Judging by his craven behaviour and selection for the display itself, he's the junior person in the room. He's the guy that's overwhelmed with pride at going to the big boys meeting, when he's only really there so his boss doesn't have to carry the lever arch files. A comparatively innocent bystander, basically.

Yep!

I saw Robocop at my uncles house when I was 7 and it gave me nightmares. Not any of the other gore, just this scene. When he puts the gun down but it won't stop anyway. Still gives me chills.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

It's computer says no

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it is interesting that it was a while since we had the proper paedo panic flames fanned by the Sun / BBC et al (a mob burning the paediatricians house even!) but it seems now that this stuff is bubbling up organically, seeded as it were from several years ago through the mainstream media

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
"i mean what a ridiculous opinion but tattoos are just so uncouth amirite"

lol

anyway in re robocop my buddy growing up stopped eating strawberry shortcake for a long time because we were eating it while watching robocop once

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

People with tattoos are probably the same people that stick daft stickers on their car boot lids. To be avoided.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
People with tattoos are cool and awesome and also sexy

However I would like to declare a conflict of interest related to this post,

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jel Shaker posted:

it is interesting that it was a while since we had the proper paedo panic flames fanned by the Sun / BBC et al (a mob burning the paediatricians house even!) but it seems now that this stuff is bubbling up organically, seeded as it were from several years ago through the mainstream media

Last big one was Sharon Matthews I think.
'The next Maddie!' the papers thought, with wall to wall coverage, and once it turned out it was the mother, probably dampened going full in on the next one.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

fuctifino posted:

Ooops. That's embarrassing.

Well played :)

In other news, I've just had this photo of Nadine and her first husband pop up on my radar. She certainly goes for a type, doesn't she?

Lynn these are sex people

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The cat trying to both be invisible and not in the photo is very relatable.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Good thread from 2020 on stuff the Conservatives have yet to wheel out against Starmer:

https://twitter.com/ciabaudo/status/1246784176990404610?s=21

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
wuwruwrugh i ab dot a nonce!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Rachael_Swindon/status/1491164769235406848

I checked his Wikipedia page

quote:

Spencer is a past vice-Chairman of School Governors of Woodborough Woods Foundation School, where he was chairman of the Disciplinary Committee.

:siren: Chariman of a disciplinary committee in a CofE Primary School? :siren:

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 8, 2022

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So speaking of Robocop, I saw this tweet about one of Kurtwood Smith's scenes. I found it hilarious.

https://twitter.com/iD4RO/status/1199081450831851520?t=R7GY6gU7aPrIM7wo5EFoBQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

The Question IRL posted:

So speaking of Robocop, I saw this tweet about one of Kurtwood Smith's scenes. I found it hilarious.

https://twitter.com/iD4RO/status/1199081450831851520?t=R7GY6gU7aPrIM7wo5EFoBQ&s=19

Ah the Joe rogan defence *takes notes