Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Pretty rad dad pad posted:

saw some high energy car brain in Portugal today. felt like I was back in Canada for a moment.

even driving a lil tinycar here is a pain so I'm not sure what motivates someone to do this, but it's probably not one of the good emotions.

haunted by an overwhelming emasculation complex that dictates their entire life and they are terrified its so obvious that perfect strangers can see it at first glance and they're probably right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Lol make America great again

My local city broke ground last night looking the clean up a 7 way intersection, and my inquiring rear end spied bikelane markings so that's neat

This is a stupid deathtrap that is worse than it looks here, because I can't anonymize it easily if I show the whole thing

It's basically a free for all 35m X 35m square of asphalt with some lights I guess

Jestery has issued a correction as of 05:42 on Feb 8, 2022

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

imagine importing a god drat ford open-backed SUV to a European nation

if you want a comically large truck get a bongo truck. some of the coolest guntrucks ive seen were built out of bongo trucks

but don’t get a truck, if you need an obnoxious and filthy cargo mover get one of those cargo trikes posted above

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
SR-99 Tunnel Threatens South Lake Union's Light Rail Future

quote:

Boosters of the SR-99 tunnel replacing the Alaskan Way Viaduct promised transit improvements to Seattle voters, hoping to win their favor. It turns out, however, the opposite was true. No King County Metro buses use the tunnel, even three years after its opening, and now the tunnel is complicating plans for a second light rail tunnel through Downtown.

Sound Transit’s preferred alternative would put an underground station at Harrison Street and SR-99. Since this location is right where SR-99 enters a tunnel, it means the light rail station has to be quite deep to clear the car tunnel — 120 feet deep in the agency’s plan. This depth could add nearly five minutes to a transit trip just in navigating the cavernous station and dealing with long escalators or elevators that could have significant queues at a station projected to get 10,500 daily boardings. It will also make the transit station more expensive to build for a transit agency already facing major cost escalation issues.

To add insult to injury, it also puts a station entrance right next to the car pollution venting out of the tunnel, including the four yellow tubes that vent out smoke in case of a fire in the tunnel — hardly a pleasant environment for riders accessing the long station escalators or 11-story deep elevators. Nor is it an ideal location for transit-oriented development. Who wants to live sandwiched next to a busy highway trench and a smokestack?

As co-founder of the People’s Waterfront Coalition, Cary Moon pushed the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) to abandon its tunnel plan and support surface transit alternative instead. Unfortunately, WSDOT and other tunnel boosters were relentless and eventually forced through the controversial project despite the fierce opposition from transit advocates and Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn. The tunnel failed a public advisory vote in 2007, but tunnel boosters kept pushing and spinning the project.

Governor Jay Inslee called the highway tunnel the “eighth wonder of the world” at its ribbon-cutting ceremony back in 2019 — three years later than promised after the world’s largest tunnel boring machine broke down trying to chew through 1,000 feet of sloppy Seattle soil. The project’s cost overruns were significant even before toll revenue came in far under projections due to WSDOT’s unrealistic and exaggerated traffic modeling — a persistent problem for the agency and the industry. Now, this gift that keeps on giving is driving up Sound Transit 3 costs and worsening future outcomes for riders.

“They told us they were burying the highway through the city, but in fact what they were doing is burying it for part of the city and putting a lot of car infrastructure right into the middle of the city right there in South Lake Union,” McGinn said in an interview. “All of the infrastructure to move cars fast through the neighborhood are inconsistent with what we need to move people in transit in and out of the neighborhood.”

The whole thing is just more of that. Mike McGinn got single-termed as mayor primarily for being right about things. Seattle has this reputation as a very progressive city, but man do our loving rear end in a top hat Boomers and techbros love their loving cars.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Maybe they should demolish the highway and run the trains through the tunnel

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
love seeing cars get owned
https://twitter.com/WorldBollard/status/1491032733388210177

Ham Equity posted:

man do our loving rear end in a top hat Boomers and techbros love their loving cars.

i assume anyone working for amazon has the same mindset of someone working for goldman sachs — doesn't give a poo poo about literally anything besides making money

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 15:20 on Feb 8, 2022

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, I always thought Seattle was a mess and I never got the feeling it was that more “left wing” than any other West coast city. Also, it is also addicted to cars as much as LA.

I never got it to be honest.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

drivers are like children, they require constant supervision or they'll start doing whatever they like with no regard for others

https://twitter.com/Choresh2/status/1491049873764122626?t=5d7b8KcAqKwHMm13bKIzhg&s=19

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Polo-Rican posted:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/08/business/energy-environment/electric-cars-vehicles.html

pretty sure this guy doesn't understand that Le Corbusier wanted to have cars loving everywhere

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

these comments are just too good

quote:

The conventional car companies have had decades to convert and evolve. It's called progress.

Buy a used Nissan Leaf for $5k. Problem solved. A used Chevy Bolt is also worth a look.

Tesla is the biggest by far. And yet our President cannot even say the name.

It's shameful that because Tesla is non-union, our President ignores it- instead claimly, falsely (I thought since Trump we used the word "lie"?) that GM is "leading" the way.

Thankfully, the people get to decide. And Tesla is the winner.

For better or worse, this is the wheel of progress and innovation. Early stage adoption costs are expensive and targeted to the affluent. But, innovation relentlessly drives prices down (except Pharma in the US.) Electric lights and autos are an example of bending the cost curve down benefiting the not-so-affluent.

I wouldn’t either if I was in your situation but most people aren’t. So while a Tesla is not your cup of tea, it is an excellent choice for many of us who love driving one while saving the planet. And which is why Tesla is outselling the competition.

I have been waiting for this for 40 years. About time. If the country had chosen Carter in 1980 this would have been reality in the 1990s, and global warming would not be threatening children's future.

if cities could line the streets with parking meters, they can line them with chargers.

Self driving EVs do not pollute if sourced with low carbon electricity, and traffic can be chained together via software to move very efficiently at high speeds.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

this reads different now :)

owning huge vehicles has always been about a latent desire to kill people

mystes
May 31, 2006

Thank god self driving vehicles are going through arrive Any Day Now. We'd better tear up all the remaining transit systems to get ready for them so we can be ready to magically save the environment.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

quote:

if cities could line the streets with parking meters, they can line them with chargers.

do not loving TOUCH those parking meters citizen. they belong to abu dhabi

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

is there any large city in the US that is not horrible for cycling in? I’m in Austin, and despite its supposed “cyclist” friendly bullshit, I’ve been hit downtown once and had a lot of close calls on quiet residential streets that are close to the university and downtown

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
we shouldn't have parking meters. they give cars a place to exist

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

if you actually believed the US's biggest exporter of toxic masculinity, Texas, would ever be "cyclist-friendly," I suggest you divest in bridge futures

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

bi crimes posted:

is there any large city in the US that is not horrible for cycling in? I’m in Austin, and despite its supposed “cyclist” friendly bullshit, I’ve been hit downtown once and had a lot of close calls on quiet residential streets that are close to the university and downtown

There was a time Portland was making an effort but honestly for a variety of reasons things have gone down the tubes. The city clearly didn’t give a shut about improving infrastructure (and even lights on small residential streets have beg buttons), and with COVID, drivers have become completely psychotic. People are simply being run overall all the time in Portland and no one cares.

I never seen the spirit of a city die so quickly as Portland from 2015 to the present.

mystes
May 31, 2006

bi crimes posted:

If you want a city that's legitimately safe to cycle in, like you could give your kid a bike and let them bike around on their own, lol no, because even in supposedly "bike friendly" places the approach that is being taken in the US is just fundamentally wrong and will never arrive at actual safety for bikes.

Unfortunately even a lot of people who regularly ride bikes in the US are so brain poisoned they will refuse to admit that.

mystes has issued a correction as of 17:00 on Feb 8, 2022

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

its basically impossible to have a good cycling city in the US because american drivers are insane and the mere sight of a cyclist causes a substantial number of drivers to become homicidal

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

bi crimes posted:

Portland is...ok? I've had mostly good experiences but the infrastructure does start to become inadequate or nonexistent the further east you go, and the speed limits are higher. Downtown and the surrounding areas are pretty solid. The city still bends over backwards for cars in every transit project, don't believe for a second you are getting away from automobile focused infra/attitudes.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I think it would be great if kids could take their bike alone (or simply be able to use one) but honestly the US is simply too nuts to do so.

Even in “nicer” residential neighborhoods in Portland you are going to have maniacs going double the speed limit with murder in their heart.

Wolfy posted:

Portland is...ok? I've had mostly good experiences but the infrastructure does start to become inadequate or nonexistent the further east you go, and the speed limits are higher. Downtown and the surrounding areas are pretty solid. The city still bends over backwards for cars in every transit project, don't believe for a second you are getting away from automobile focused infra/attitudes.

I mean the actual infrastructure is pretty limited outside of some pretty limited areas and around some bridges. A lot of Portland’s reputation came from the fact you could bike on smaller streets and it was usually safe but even that has changed. If you want to bike from Downtown across Hawthorne or Tilikum bridge… that’s okay until you try to get any where more distant than a few blocks East.

Also anything outside of the “inner bubble” is ruled by cars as much as LA.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 17:11 on Feb 8, 2022

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Every city in the US has to start that project from scratch because we went all-in on auto infrastructure for decades. It will be a while before we start seeing bike-friendly towns, if it happens at all.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

if you actually believed the US's biggest exporter of toxic masculinity, Texas, would ever be "cyclist-friendly," I suggest you divest in bridge futures

believe it or not, I was born here, and didn’t come here for it being cyclist friendly!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

bi crimes posted:

believe it or not, I was born here, and didn’t come here for it being cyclist friendly!

I'm sorry

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

actionjackson posted:

these comments are just too good

biden snubbing tesla is one of the only cool things he's done. Also these people are loving nuts

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Ardennes posted:

I think it would be great if kids could take their bike alone (or simply be able to use one) but honestly the US is simply too nuts to do so.

Even in “nicer” residential neighborhoods in Portland you are going to have maniacs going double the speed limit with murder in their heart.

I mean the actual infrastructure is pretty limited outside of some pretty limited areas and around some bridges. A lot of Portland’s reputation came from the fact you could bike on smaller streets and it was usually safe but even that has changed. If you want to bike from Downtown across Hawthorne or Tilikum bridge… that’s okay until you try to get any where more distant than a few blocks East.

Also anything outside of the “inner bubble” is ruled by cars as much as LA.
There's been a lot of work to calm the residential streets recently. A lot left to be done, and I agree that's not really a way to make actual cycling infrastructure, but it's better than a lot of places I have tried to bike in. I feel mostly safe on the greenways, but I do understand it's not really a workable solution for people who don't bike a lot as I have to spend a lot of time route planning to utilize them.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

biden snubbing tesla is one of the only cool things he's done. Also these people are loving nuts

that bmw suv only killed one holocaust survivor, could have been multiple

that's called progress

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

LonsomeSon posted:

imagine importing a god drat ford open-backed SUV to a European nation

if you want a comically large truck get a bongo truck. some of the coolest guntrucks ive seen were built out of bongo trucks

but don’t get a truck, if you need an obnoxious and filthy cargo mover get one of those cargo trikes posted above

brits who wish they were american are all exactly like this: late 50s guy who lives in a bungalow by the sea. drive some weirdly bland imported yank car like a chevy lumina. confederate flag cushions on his sofa. confederate flag stickers on the car. confederate flag stickers in his house windows.

I went to an american car show once, I'm not sure if real Americans would find it hilarious or offensive. there was a country and western band, then a show where a bunch of people dressed as cowboys shot at each other with cap guns while ducking behind hay bales. there were, predictably, confederate flags loving everywhere. there was a row of 20 PT Cruisers, most of which were right hand drive.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Wolfy posted:

There's been a lot of work to calm the residential streets recently. A lot left to be done, and I agree that's not really a way to make actual cycling infrastructure, but it's better than a lot of places I have tried to bike in. I feel mostly safe on the greenways, but I do understand it's not really a workable solution for people who don't bike a lot as I have to spend a lot of time route planning to utilize them.

At least in Portland, I think it has been more talk than progress. I mean you can get around in some places in Portland, it just the drivers had gotten far far worse with the pandemic.

I guess the best in the states is a low bar, but I just don’t think Portland has done much to deserve the title.

(Also, the few measures for traffic calming are all in upper middle class areas, no one cares who lives or dies in any working class area of Portland)

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Horace posted:

brits who wish they were american are all exactly like this: late 50s guy who lives in a bungalow by the sea. drive some weirdly bland imported yank car like a chevy lumina. confederate flag cushions on his sofa. confederate flag stickers on the car. confederate flag stickers in his house windows.

I went to an american car show once, I'm not sure if real Americans would find it hilarious or offensive. there was a country and western band, then a show where a bunch of people dressed as cowboys shot at each other with cap guns while ducking behind hay bales. there were, predictably, confederate flags loving everywhere. there was a row of 20 PT Cruisers, most of which were right hand drive.

this all sounds very funny imho and if you ever go to another plz take pics

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
that reminds me of the "gun and doll show", which was really popular in central california when i was growing up. it was a show where you could look at and purchase guns, and your wife could look at and purchase dolls.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I want safe biking, but just for the fellas.

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008
San Francisco is also pretty dogshit for cycling, along the usual lines: the city talks a big game about vision zero, occasionally does expensive projects to build new bike infra, but it's still car hell, it's still dangerous enough to commute or run errands on a bicycle that many prospective new riders are scared to do it (and it's very hard to tell them they're wrong), the streets are crawling with overpowered F-150s and 1,000 HP muscle cars that value their right to turn right on red over your life. I think the overall walk/transit/bike story here might be a hair better than a place like Seattle, but I think that's because the city is geographically confined by the peninsula so it can't sprawl as much as Seattle or LA do, which means the distances involved are naturally more amenable to cycling or walking. It's not because Bay Area political leaders are any better than Seattle (definitely not, I think we're in the running for worst government in America)

So clearly every American city claiming to want to make itself bike friendly or transit first is full of poo poo and hopeless. I've more or less given up on America. International goons, I'm curious: are there any cities outside of the US that are actually nice to live in? Amsterdam gets a lot of good press in this respect, obviously. How's Paris now that we're a few years into Hidalgo's admin? What about those megablocks I've read about in (I think) Barcelona? I've read Strasbourg is a wonderful cycling town -- any truth to that? Berlin? Munich?

I'm pondering fleeing the USA to ride out the climate collapse someplace where at least the ambient noise level is <140dB and it doesn't reek of exhaust all the time.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Horace posted:

This is pretty accurate tbh. The cowboys probably weren't fat enough though.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

lobster shirt posted:

its basically impossible to have a good cycling city in the US because american drivers are insane and the mere sight of a cyclist causes a substantial number of drivers to become homicidal

I watched this morning as a man on a bicycle, clearly going to work somewhere with his toolbag and 5 gallon bucket pannier, turned left onto a four lane avenue, crossed over and proceeded to the next right turn maybe 40 meters further.

In that space of time, the light turned green for traffic on the avenue and the giant black Dodge Ram next to me in the far right lane slammed on the gas as hard as possible, overtook the biker, only moving left enough for the driver's side tires to touch the lane divider line. Biker got sprayed with slush.

THEY loving SLOWED DOWN AFTER THEY WERE DONE. Accelerating normally, I caught up to them after maybe 20-30 seconds and rolled down the passenger window to make sure they saw me giving them the finger. Middle aged white guy, probably same age as the guy on the bike. I wish I had had a paintball gun.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Car Hater posted:

THEY loving SLOWED DOWN AFTER THEY WERE DONE. Accelerating normally, I caught up to them after maybe 20-30 seconds and rolled down the passenger window to make sure they saw me giving them the finger. Middle aged white guy, probably same age as the guy on the bike. I wish I had had a paintball gun.

buddy are you insane? you would get actually shot with real bullets lmao

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1crhwQPKr7w

don't give motorists the opportunity to be this cool

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

buddy are you insane? you would get actually shot with real bullets lmao

Paintball is the [redacted] of the projectile class of weapons. Yes, I am insane, thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Horace posted:

this sounds like an unintentionally-honest version of a car show here in the States. i also grew up in Texas (family moved there when i was 6) and the car shows at the state fair were like this but without the cap-gun shootout, which i would have liked way more than looking at expensive cars in cool colors

Polo-Rican posted:

https://twitter.com/formalhoodie/status/1491073530351734785