Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

teddust posted:

I haven't been on the shinkansen since covid started. Is it still cool to eat while riding now?

yes, just don't start a fire and/or stab ppl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

yes, just don't start a fire and/or stab ppl

Good advice for much of life, really.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

For the goons following the domestic news and political situation; any indications that foreign visitors might be allowed in on tourist visas in april?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dante posted:

For the goons following the domestic news and political situation; any indications that foreign visitors might be allowed in on tourist visas in april?

Absolutely no indication or official timetable as such, nope. If you already have tickets or hotels for then, might look at canceling.

This is Japan, whatever happens will do so with like 72 hours notice.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yup. Book nothing unless it's fully refundable and you're prepared to cancel.

If I were putting money on April I would say no, but nobody knows anything. I'm 100% sure that includes the Japanese government.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
In terms of the political situation, the public largely supports the government's choice to shutdown the borders so there's no pressure from the public to open up either.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Zettace posted:

In terms of the political situation, the public largely supports the government's choice to shutdown the borders so there's no pressure from the public to open up either.

yeah the delta clusterfuck from the olympics is still fresh in everyone's mind

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think April was like.. 50/50 BEFORE Omicron. I don’t see any path to the country being open by April given recent developments, sadly.

I mean, just based on what I’ve seen of the handling of the pandemic so far. I would be SHOCKED if there was anything beyond initial discussions of travel in April.

I haven’t bothered re-booking my cancelled trip yet, is how my lack of confidence in even Oct/Nov is manifesting….

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

We were at “business trips might be allowed” and “people with existing Certificates of Eligibility can finally come in” before Omicron. I think it’s probably a month or two to get back there, assuming the local case numbers don’t spike too much.

*sees New Year’s coming up quickly on the calendar*

So far we’re sitting at the same rough number as the past month or so. No clue on what criteria they’re really calculating those daily numbers, but around the Tokyo area it’s just masks indoors, reduced seats eating indoors…just basic precautions but not much actually closed right now.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Dante posted:

it's not going to happen. if i had to make a wager, i'd say that if the next global omicron wave does turn out to be mild, there's a 50% chance that the borders will open again to students and workers early next year, but letting in tourists will probably take much longer

there's just very little incentive and political will to open the floodgates to areas of the world that have much higher levels of infection

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
My money is on no international tourists in 2022. Maybe 2023. Who knows though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Probably the safe bet. I still think the fact that China's borders are closed is a big factor. That's a huge chunk of the tourist revenue, without that there's even less incentive to open up.

Monkey's paw: open to tourists but only in August.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It extremely sucks I am probably not going to get to visit Japan again.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Kinda sucks that I won't be able to visit Japan for the first time.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

It extremely sucks that I don't know when I'm gonna get to see my brother and his kids again.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Thanks for the replies guys! I figured it was a long shot.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i got an email from the embassy today that said that the borders will stay closed until the end of february, but also that the exception for spouses and children will be reinstated from january 12th, so if you are in that category you can probably get in on a temporary visa

my visa will expire in february and i have a return flight booked just before the end date. i hope there wont be a war in ukraine because that will probably mean that russian airspace will be closed lol and i have to do what exactly? fly over the north pole? fly via dubai? i hope i wont get to find out

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm probably going to aim for May 2023 again. Doesn't really cost me anything to book the plane ticket and as always, while it sucks to have to mash the "cancel" button, it's nice to have something to look forward to these days.

Ultimately it stinks that I can't travel, but the real side effect here is that not being able to visit Japan is that I was using the excitement and anticipation to fuel the ... I'll say "chore" ... of learning conversational Japanese, and not having a chance to use it in two years now has kind of pushed my motivation to the backburner. Not looking to solution it, just stating a fact that I really used my travel as motivation to continue and it's been really really hard to keep that going the last two years. But I'll make it back eventually and it'll re-ignite my passion for having conversations at a pre-school level, at best, with locals who insist on telling me how skillful I am :cool:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Feb 8, 2022

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah…May this year is looking worse, but summer or fall still could happen. Hopefully.

The rumblings from those in power are starting to sound like opening borders soon, but no clue the time frame for tourists in particular.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

But I totally realize that my desire to go bum around Kyoto should play second fiddle to people who actually have legitimate reasons to be there, like students etc.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Martytoof posted:

But I totally realize that my desire to go bum around Kyoto should play second fiddle to people who actually have legitimate reasons to be there, like students etc.

would rather have the tourists back than the students tbh

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Stringent posted:

would rather have the tourists back than the students tbh

I was just being nice. I'd rather be priority over students too.

Over everyone, really. Sorry all.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Martytoof posted:

I was just being nice. I'd rather be priority over students too.

Over everyone, really. Sorry all.

well, now you just sound like a student

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My future japanese waifu will appreciate that about me

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Out of curiosity, did anyone here emigrate to work in Japan? Is their work/life balance really as bad as... everyone says?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

A friend of mine went, and he seems to be doing okay. Wife, three kids, time for hobbies etc.

Bastard is living my dream life.

Every now and again he asks me to play Co-op Dawn of War with his son, free babysitting kind of thing. 's cool, kinda convinced me that I should get into streaming.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Work-life balance is as bad as you let it be.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Why not visit Thailand?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

marumaru posted:

Out of curiosity, did anyone here emigrate to work in Japan? Is their work/life balance really as bad as... everyone says?

Based on goon Line chat, Japan goons do gently caress all at work, and they do it remotely.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

WarpedNaba posted:

A friend of mine went, and he seems to be doing okay. Wife, three kids, time for hobbies etc.

Bastard is living my dream life.
Your dream life is 1950s American suburbia?

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Gabriel Grub posted:

Based on goon Line chat, Japan goons do gently caress all at work, and they do it remotely.

What sort of remote work do they do that they can get paid well enough to work gently caress all and still support themselves? Asking for a friend.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Are you assuming that the wife doesn't work, or that families were invented in America in the 1950s?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Realistically the vast majority of jobs that (white) foreigners do and the kinds of companies we work for means we can generally avoid all of the poor work/life balance that a lot of Japanese people endure, if desired. Even the shittiest English teacher dispatch companies may treat their gaijins like dirt and pay them like 3 million yen a year, yet they're also not requiring them to stay in the office until 9PM every night. Sure there are some exceptions--starting your own business, law, some roles in finance, IT crunch--but those jobs often have poor work/life balance outside of Japan too. It's mostly the "black" SMOs in Japan that have the semi-mandatory ridiculous work hours you hear about, and those usually aren't the kinds of companies that would hire any Westerners at all. For big companies, the ones sponsoring visas and all that, there's way too much reputational risk. Imagine the fallout if an American guy working at, I dunno, Toyota in Nagoya threw himself in front of a train because the company required too many hours of him.

Plus I think most people born outside of Asia who have alternatives don't feel the same level of responsibility. We tend to be quite a bit more arms-length when it comes to employer/employee relationships.
Japanese people have potentially spent their entire lives, starting in elementary school or earlier, working to get where they are. You can't get a prestigious job if you don't go to a good college, thus you have to go to a good high school, thus a good middle school, thus a good elementary school. They feel an obligation to themselves, family, the company, and maybe even society to tough it out. Sometimes they come out the other side stronger, ready to put their kohai or subordinates through the same wringer. Sometimes they give up entirely, with disastrous consequences.

I think most Westerners would quit and/or leave the country before a crappy work/life balance really started impacting our mental health. That mindset is partially what's driving the Great Resignation these days in the US.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Gabriel Grub posted:

Are you assuming that the wife doesn't work, or that families were invented in America in the 1950s?
no

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bushmaori posted:

What sort of remote work do they do that they can get paid well enough to work gently caress all and still support themselves? Asking for a friend.

The kind of work that previously was in an office and took 8 hours a day but only an hour or so of actual effort? But just without the commute on JR lines?

I think the correct phrasing would be “dicking around” but yeah.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Every white collar job is window gazing, embrace it imo

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Every white collar job is window gazing, embrace it imo

I wish, but I'm usually quite busy. I don't stick around late if I don't have something that needs to be done though.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Well, as a guy with three brothers I'd stick with two as a maximum, but now that you mention it...

But nowadays that would require reversing the wage/productivity gap that's been ongoing since the 70s, being able to buy a three-bedroom apartment for less than 7 digits... not really feasible here.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Unfortunately it's infeasible for most people here too, the wage-productivity gap is shockingly bad.

Edit: caveat being that I love living in big cities

Charles 2 of Spain fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

marumaru posted:

it sucks for japanese people who are expected to put up with it, white westerners aren't expected to do the same (i dunno what it's like for asian westerners, or the occasional black or middle eastern guy i see working in construction, probably different), even if your job title is the same as a japanese coworker you aren't expected to put up with the same things