Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Egg Moron posted:

The trajectory is

Rollerball to deathrace 2000 to soylent green to Zardoz

i've seen all of these except zardoz, guess i know what i'm doing tonight

does escape from new york fit in between soylent green and zardoz?

e: video tax for the snipe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtTNhPm1_xg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

blatman posted:

you're right but the craziest thing about this post isn't that our world is crumbling around us while all we can do is watch and do nothing and old dystopian fiction is now almost-utopian [...]

Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress towards more pain. The old civilizations claimed that they were founded on love or justice. Ours is founded upon hatred. In our world there will be no emotions except fear, rage, triumph, and self-abasement.

Everything else we shall destroy, everything.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

open your goddamn eyes. there isn't snow anymore. the parts of the world that isn't loving supposed to get snow is being buried in snow. winter lasts like 7 weeks now instead of 16 weeks. Open Your Goddamn Eyes

plenty of snow outside here in minneapolis :confused:

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is it possible to estimate how many humans have lived and died since humans first evolved?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

the only number of people i know FOR SURE have died is 2,977, plus four, because my four grandparents are dead, so, 2,981

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

T-Paine posted:

Expect the narrative to really quickly switch from "we need to do what little token gestures we can to avoid the worst of locked-in climate change" to "well it's here, suck it up, we might as well take advantage of it while we still can because if we don't China or Russia will"

Its gonna take one pic at the right time of a bunch of dead fish on a beach to completely deregulate the fishing industry lol. Then someone's gonna realize the trees need to be cut before they all burn because nothing is growing and lmao

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

actionjackson posted:

is it possible to estimate how many humans have lived and died since humans first evolved?

what's the old quote about how thirty ghosts stand behind everyone now alive, since that's the ratio by which the dead outnumber the living.

Dunno if that was ever calibrated (was it Arthur C. Clarke?) but it's probably not a terrible guess.

Also "since humans first evolved" is a wildly different time depending on whom you ask.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

No this has been studied by lots of scientists the answer is about 100 billion. Yes they figured out the proper definition of when humans became human.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
They didn't "figure out" when humans evolved, they invented it. That's what taxonomic classification is, an invention

Life didn't come with pigeon holes.

Well, pigeons did i guess

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Pryor on Fire posted:

No this has been studied by lots of scientists the answer is about 100 billion. Yes they figured out the proper definition of when humans became human.

the reason I asked is because I've seen comments on reddit collapse (lol) about well, humans have been around for a long time, and at least we got to experience many conveniences they didn't, and it's like yeah, but the probability of you being born in say the last 500-1000 years is wayyyyy higher than any other equivalent period in human history

if we were just to use 100 billion, the probability of you being alive now vs at any other time in human history is going to be something like (8/108)

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
It was discussed itt recently. Current estimation is that yes 8% of all humans who have ever existed were born in the last 30 years.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
so much gasping, heaving, perambulating meat

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Popoto posted:

I'll one up you and say the day after tomorrow

no that documentary showed ice everywhere

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
seeing more and more cracking and pinging in the wild

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Pobrecito posted:

seeing more and more cracking and pinging in the wild

drat, that's straight up C-SPAM posting, surprised the mods didn't crack down on it

also, buy them accounts, etc.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I went to a small dinner hangout recently with a couple of people and one of them talked about how they've just read Uninhabitable Earth and it was fun to finally meet someone in the real world that was crack pinging

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cup Runneth Over posted:

drat, that's straight up C-SPAM posting, surprised the mods didn't crack down on it

also, buy them accounts, etc.

yeah. :unsmith:

yeah. :smith:

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

bobmarleysghost posted:

I went to a small dinner hangout recently with a couple of people and one of them talked about how they've just read Uninhabitable Earth and it was fun to finally meet someone in the real world that was crack pinging

Im legitimately surprised someone hasnt started some dating app (because you can probably cobble one together with script kiddie crap at this point) around collapse communities. Not a reddit /collpase post goes by without someone asking for or offering some "I would like to farm / I have farm" junk. Just sell adds or something. I'm a hardware person and have no idea why are apps.

I mean, they have one for trump fans.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I don't think it is overstatement, pessimism, or alarmist to say that we will see incredible horrors during our lifetime, global warming is going to continue, and that not only are we alone without anyone to save us, the people with the most amount of power and control are deliberately hampering anything that could be done to abate the onrushing disaster.

Those out there who are really "doing something" to make an impact on climate change are uniformly working to make climate change worse.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Cloks posted:

i've seen all of these except zardoz, guess i know what i'm doing tonight

does escape from new york fit in between soylent green and zardoz?

e: video tax for the snipe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtTNhPm1_xg

Zardoz is great. It owns the libs so loving hard.

Escape from new york is actually before Rollerball since the state had not yet been entirely captured by corporate power.

Escape from new york is utopian as gently caress compared to now.

I wish an antihero accelerationist could save us.

We all do.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Egg Moron posted:

Escape from new york is actually before Rollerball since the state had not yet been entirely captured by corporate power.

We all do.

I was Snake Plissken for Halloween once (poorly)

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Egg Moron posted:

We all do.

Welcome to the human race

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

bedpan posted:

I don't think it is overstatement, pessimism, or alarmist to say that we will see incredible horrors during our lifetime, global warming is going to continue, and that not only are we alone without anyone to save us, the people with the most amount of power and control are deliberately hampering anything that could be done to abate the onrushing disaster.

Those out there who are really "doing something" to make an impact on climate change are uniformly working to make climate change worse.

Sad story. You got a smoke?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
welcome to the human race

*murders everyone in every hospital and plane on earth*

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Egg Moron posted:

We all do.

I'd like to take this opportunity to bring up Robot Jox staring Gary Graham behind Re-Animator and Honey I Shrunk The Kids (really the best of all distopias because bugs get a shot at revenge)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Zardoz predicted social media cancel culture

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Trabisnikof posted:

Zardoz predicted social media cancel culture

I've never seen it, does the big giant head just spout the N-word as it drops guns?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x6sOHzgIyw

for people who find this conversation incomprehensible, criterion put together a good collection of films in this vein a few years back

it was mentioned a while ago but The Anthropocene Unconscious is a pretty good read on how all art is secretly climate panic

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-00312-2

quote:

Scientists raise alarm over ‘dangerously fast’ growth in atmospheric methane
As global methane concentrations soar over 1,900 parts per billion, some researchers fear that global warming itself is behind the rapid rise.

Methane concentrations in the atmosphere raced past 1,900 parts per billion last year, nearly triple preindustrial levels, according to data released in January by the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). Scientists says the grim milestone underscores the importance of a pledge made at last year’s COP26 climate summit to curb emissions of methane, a greenhouse gas at least 28 times as potent as CO2.

The growth of methane emissions slowed around the turn of the millennium, but began a rapid and mysterious uptick around 2007. The spike has caused many researchers to worry that global warming is creating a feedback mechanism that will cause ever more methane to be released, making it even harder to rein in rising temperatures.

“Methane levels are growing dangerously fast,” says Euan Nisbet, an Earth scientist at Royal Holloway, University of London, in Egham, UK. The emissions, which seem to have accelerated in the past few years, are a major threat to the world’s goal of limiting global warming to 1.5–2 °C over pre-industrial temperatures, he says.

Enigmatic patterns
For more than a decade, researchers have deployed aircraft, taken satellite measurements and run models in an effort to understand the drivers of the increase (see ‘A worrying trend’)1,2. Potential explanations range from the expanding exploitation of oil and natural gas and rising emissions from landfill to growing livestock herds and increasing activity by microbes in wetlands3.

“The causes of the methane trends have indeed proved rather enigmatic,” says Alex Turner, an atmospheric chemist at the University of Washington in Seattle. And despite a flurry of research, Turner says he is yet to see any conclusive answers emerge.

One clue is in the isotopic signature of methane molecules. The majority of carbon is carbon-12, but methane molecules sometimes also contain the heavier isotope carbon-13. Methane generated by microbes — after they consume carbon in the mud of a wetland or in the gut of a cow, for instance — contains less 13C than does methane generated by heat and pressure inside Earth, which is released during fossil-fuel extraction.

Scientists have sought to understand the source of the mystery methane by comparing this knowledge about the production of the gas with what is observed in the atmosphere.

By studying methane trapped decades or centuries ago in ice cores and accumulated snow, as well as gas in the atmosphere, they have been able to show that for two centuries after the start of the Industrial Revolution the proportion of methane containing 13C increased4. But since 2007, when methane levels began to rise more rapidly again, the proportion of methane containing 13C began to fall (see ‘The rise and fall of methane’). Some researchers believe that this suggests that much of the increase in the past 15 years might be due to microbial sources, rather than the extraction of fossil fuels.
bad

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
all that methane, escaping into the atmosphere, unburned... so much lost profit... *single tear rolling down cheek*

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
massive unaccounted for methane emissions on top of what we already know about would be pretty concerning but what do I know, I'm not an accredited scientist from Science University

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

They didn't "figure out" when humans evolved, they invented it. That's what taxonomic classification is, an invention

Taxonomic classification takes into account genetic similarities. Like members of the same species can generally produce offspring with one another

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Unfortunately the viability of interbreeding can't be determined when working with extinct species.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

yeah, super mystifying what changed around 2007 that had anything to do with methane

…oh, says here methane is often referred to as ‘natural gas,’ I wonder,

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Unfortunately the viability of interbreeding can't be determined when working with extinct species.

We definitely hosed those Neanderthals to extinction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

yeah, super mystifying what changed around 2007 that had anything to do with methane

…oh, says here methane is often referred to as ‘natural gas,’ I wonder,

obama: that was me, you’re welcome. :yaybutt: