Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Justin_Brett posted:

If they still followed the 'evil wish -> good guy Shadow Dragon' logic I wonder what Zamasu's wish would make.

goku

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Calaveron posted:

I feel like giving actual consequences to the usage of dragon balls, relics so frequently used that the ancient draconic personification of divine alien powers goes oh gosh it's you guys again every time he's summoned for ice cream and a modest sum of money or to turn a lady's clock back a few years, goes against the gag spirit of the series

Hold on here mister, when black smoke Shenron first appeared he pulled out a huge cigar from nowhere and started blowing smoke into everybody's eyes to establish that he's not the most trustworthy, its perfectly in line with the gag spirit of the series.

Kanos posted:

The dragon balls have never been presented as cursed forbidden artifacts so it would be kind of weird if they had a horribly dangerous drawback that no one ever mentioned, including the people who created them.

There being backlash of some sort for using the dragon balls for wishes as altruistic as "bring everyone who was brutally murdered by this horrific villain back to life" or "make a new planet for these refugees because the genocidal space tyrant blew theirs up" would be extremely weird. There's basically no selfish moron wishes made by the protagonists in the series after Oolong wishing for panties - they're almost exclusively used to fix wrongs committed by horrible murderers.

Its definitely a phenomenon in the series that the balls are used as an instant fixit for almost any problem that occurs and even the good wishes can come across as a bit morally dodgy, like wishing that everybody on Earth forget about the Buu saga so that Good Buu can cavort around in public. I don't think its great to be controlling people's memories even if they are really traumatic without their consent. There's also the thing about only bringing back the 'good hearted' people after Buu, I'm not really sure I'd even trust an eternal dragon to start making moral judgements about who gets to live or die.

And just generally its been a longstanding and fairly valid complaint that the balls lack of any real downsides sap the series of a lot of dramatic tension.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 8, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

GT had many good ideas they were just executed in the worst ways possible and everything looked lovely and had an awful color pallete... golden great ape ftw

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

was it a dub thing that only good people were resurrected at the end of the Buu arc

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Golden Great Ape is cool since we get to see one of the original ideas for Super Saiyan

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

was it a dub thing that only good people were resurrected at the end of the Buu arc

No I’m pretty sure that was in the original too

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Larryb posted:

No I’m pretty sure that was in the original too

that was a hosed up wish

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It was also used as a in-universe justification that 'Vegeta is a good guy for reals now' because he was revived and wasn't expecting it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If only good people were revived how is Red Ribbon back? Maybe they never died in the first place

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

All the Red Ribbon Army wanted was to make their dear leader taller. It was Goku who was wrong.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

shenron doesnt give a poo poo about human morality

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

shenron doesnt give a poo poo about human morality

Yeah, he’ll basically grant any wish regardless of what it is and who’s wishing for it (even some of the early restrictions are removed as the series goes on)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I like to imagine Shenron heard the wish and decided then and there to just ignore the 'good' part because gently caress doing a morality check on however many billions of people just died

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

he doesn't have to, the wish would just bring back everyone from Heaven, everyone who went to Hell stays there

Dragon Ball has its own ideas about morality and a cosmic system for it and it doesn't really care about modern ideas of morals

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Black August posted:

he doesn't have to, the wish would just bring back everyone from Heaven, everyone who went to Hell stays there

Dragon Ball has its own ideas about morality and a cosmic system for it and it doesn't really care about modern ideas of morals

I'm not sure if King Yemma would've gotten the whole planet's population processed by the time the wish is made. Surely most people were still in line and Shenron said 'gently caress it.'

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

khwarezm posted:

Its definitely a phenomenon in the series that the balls are used as an instant fixit for almost any problem that occurs and even the good wishes can come across as a bit morally dodgy, like wishing that everybody on Earth forget about the Buu saga so that Good Buu can cavort around in public. I don't think its great to be controlling people's memories even if they are really traumatic without their consent. There's also the thing about only bringing back the 'good hearted' people after Buu, I'm not really sure I'd even trust an eternal dragon to start making moral judgements about who gets to live or die.

And just generally its been a longstanding and fairly valid complaint that the balls lack of any real downsides sap the series of a lot of dramatic tension.

Dragon Ball has always operated on a childlike sense of morality. It's how Goku can forgive Vegeta and give him a chance to develop into a good person despite Vegeta deserving punishment or death a million times over, or how Piccolo can be Gohan's dad and everyone's friend despite trying to murder Goku and kidnapping Gohan and forcing him through brutal death training as a child. It's not really interested in deep moral examinations of the actions of the protagonists - see how the series ran away screaming from the idea that Goku is an rear end in a top hat in the ToP. Them wishing for everyone to forget about the Buu Saga isn't some kind of selfish Orwellian mind control wish, it's "Good Buu is a pretty nice guy and it would be sad if everyone hated him for something he had no control over", with no real interest in exploring beyond that. Same with wishing all the "good" people back - it's not a manifesto on desirables vs undesirables.

The dramatic tension in Dragon Ball has never been about there being long-standing consequences after a fight, it's whether or not the protagonists will actually survive the fight to begin with. The stakes in the Saiyan Saga were that Vegeta and Nappa would kill everyone and take the dragon balls for themselves. The stakes on Namek were that Freeza would kill everyone and take the dragon balls for himself. The stakes in the Buu saga were that Buu would kill literally everyone. The stakes when Beerus came were that Beerus would get bored and destroy the planet. That's the pattern. The tension is that if the antagonist wins, no one will be left alive to use the dragon balls, not that Goku will have to go to therapy for PTSD because everyone he knows and loves is dead after he defeats the villain.

Future Trunks is a cool character but I really wouldn't want the core Dragon Ball setting to mirror his timeline.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I do wish more hay was made out of Goku wanting to attack and dethrone the gods

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Goku is best friends with the god-emperor of the multiverse and spends like half his time hanging out with the most terrifying destructor god in his universe.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I do wish more hay was made out of Goku wanting to attack and dethrone the gods

he doesn't want to do that

when Goku menacingly smiles up at Heaven speaking to Hit, he doesn't have visions of something like Freiza's grand bloody throwdown, he imagines making friends with the Zenos and all the angels/destroyers while he punches everyone all friendly like, and in the end they chill out and then they start to move more, learn more, play more, eat more, and rest more, and suddenly every mortal level is skyrocketing and the entire multiverse is addicted to training

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Kanos posted:

Dragon Ball has always operated on a childlike sense of morality. It's how Goku can forgive Vegeta and give him a chance to develop into a good person despite Vegeta deserving punishment or death a million times over, or how Piccolo can be Gohan's dad and everyone's friend despite trying to murder Goku and kidnapping Gohan and forcing him through brutal death training as a child. It's not really interested in deep moral examinations of the actions of the protagonists - see how the series ran away screaming from the idea that Goku is an rear end in a top hat in the ToP. Them wishing for everyone to forget about the Buu Saga isn't some kind of selfish Orwellian mind control wish, it's "Good Buu is a pretty nice guy and it would be sad if everyone hated him for something he had no control over", with no real interest in exploring beyond that. Same with wishing all the "good" people back - it's not a manifesto on desirables vs undesirables.

The dramatic tension in Dragon Ball has never been about there being long-standing consequences after a fight, it's whether or not the protagonists will actually survive the fight to begin with. The stakes in the Saiyan Saga were that Vegeta and Nappa would kill everyone and take the dragon balls for themselves. The stakes on Namek were that Freeza would kill everyone and take the dragon balls for himself. The stakes in the Buu saga were that Buu would kill literally everyone. The stakes when Beerus came were that Beerus would get bored and destroy the planet. That's the pattern. The tension is that if the antagonist wins, no one will be left alive to use the dragon balls, not that Goku will have to go to therapy for PTSD because everyone he knows and loves is dead after he defeats the villain.

Future Trunks is a cool character but I really wouldn't want the core Dragon Ball setting to mirror his timeline.

I don't think its asking for Dragonball to be a deep and serious reflection on the morality of using Dragonballs to suggest that maybe there be consequences towards using the balls endlessly to reset everything back to comfortable status quo, and honestly the series has regularly and deliberately taken the balls out of play for storytelling tension. In the earliest days of DB it was a difficult and long journey to gather the balls in the first place and Goku and his friends were always up against a malevolent force who wanted to use the balls for god know's what. King Piccolo literally killed Shenron to try and prevent the balls from being used against him in the future. In the Saiyan saga the death of Piccolo rendered the balls inert (heh) which was the driver of the entire Namek odyssey in the first place, people forget how much of a horrible situation it must have seemed when Vegeta left Earth with half the cast dead, no magic resurrection balls available to undo it and the prospect that Vegeta would inevitably come back stronger or with even worse companions to really wreck up the place. In the Android saga the death of Piccolo and the destruction of the balls is probably the most important thing that happens in terms of turning Future Trunk's timeline into a hellhole and I think that the genuine sense of loss you see, especially with Future Gohan, is a large part of the reason why Trunks and his special episode resonate so deeply for people. That goes double for the Future Trunks saga in Super where he really has to pull out all the stops and go to extreme measures to defend the future since he knows that every little loss won't be undone, and again Zamasu destroys the Super Dragon Balls for similar reasons as King Piccolo.

The series has even drawn attention to the fact that the balls are being used far too willy nilly, Old Kai in particular gets mad about this and the perceived disruption to the natural order that overusing the balls are creating, there's even a line about how the Namekians were allowed to create them because of their sense of discipline which is certainly something that the likes of Bulma and Goku do not have. Hell, even Kami himself wanted to not bring back Shenron after his other half killed him because he thought that the balls were becoming too dangerous and not being used properly.

The balls have only been used more arbitrarily over time. I'm not really complaining, its funny when Bulma and Frieza want to get younger and taller respectively, its funny when Shu just wishes for some money and its funny when 18 wants a nice present for Krillin, Roshi wants a hot chick and Bulma wants to have the last thing she needs to bend the laws of the universe to her whim, but I think eventually something's got to give and its for good reason that people say that the Black Smoke Shenron saga in GT was at least a good concept, if not execution.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

the dark dragons idea is cool and fun because dragon ball is cool and fun, and it's really fun to imagine "Oh man what if they used the wish orbs so much they overheat and break, releasing 7 cool looking evil guys with dragon power for them to fight, with no wish backups!"

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

that was a hosed up wish

Shenron probably interpreted it as "ok, so, I'll bring back everyone who didn't have heart trouble, and thus had good hearts."

Sucks for people with pacemakers.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
I checked out of the Dragon Ball Super manga after the tournament and now I checked again and it's literally Dragonball Multiverse, what happened?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

hatty posted:

If only good people were revived how is Red Ribbon back? Maybe they never died in the first place

To be exact. They did not say only good people. They said bring back everyone who died since yesterday, except for the ones that were really evil. Ginyu Frog, Pilaf, and new Red Ribbon guys probably were just not evil enough to count.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

cisneros posted:

I checked out of the Dragon Ball Super manga after the tournament and now I checked again and it's literally Dragonball Multiverse, what happened?

dragon ball super is good and not bad like multiverse

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

cisneros posted:

Which tournament? There hasn't been Multiverse stuff since ToP. Unless you're referring to the quality of writing.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Black August posted:

the dark dragons idea is cool and fun because dragon ball is cool and fun, and it's really fun to imagine "Oh man what if they used the wish orbs so much they overheat and break, releasing 7 cool looking evil guys with dragon power for them to fight, with no wish backups!"

It's too bad they have no personality and are entirely forgettable, both ability and design wise. The most fun one is Cigar Shenron.

Much like almost everything GT really

I will say the idea in of itself is really fun though, and definitely seems like a Toriyama idea telephoned into mediocre trash

Speaking of GT, was the music redone in the West like Z as well? Because I often fondly remember some of Falconer's Z soundtracks, but GT just felt like wierd noise immitating it

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 8, 2022

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

GT music was redone in the West, yes.

I dunno why they made every single song as forgettable as possible, but it was certainly a design choice.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, was the Japanese soundtrack for GT any better in that regard?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
i am just here to inform everyone that the latin american GT opening slaps and I still get teary eyed whenever I hear it

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Larryb posted:

I know that the opening theme is apparently beloved in Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tndKYpPz2RU

Also, this part is great:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
The worst thing about how Dragonball got exported to the west in the 90s is how they deprived us of the awesome original theme songs and instead we got Rock the Dragon, which is only suited for ironic enjoyment.

E; and, more topically, this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCa4LaDFqJU

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 9, 2022

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

khwarezm posted:

The worst thing about how Dragonball got exported to the west in the 90s is how they deprived us of the awesome original theme songs and instead we got Rock the Dragon, which is only suited for ironic enjoyment.

And then that absolutely lovely GT Rap jesus christ

It's like they watched/ played 3rd strike and went "how can we do this really terribly?"

That gif from the GT opening is pretty great though

I also wish we had gotten more of the Japanese songs in Z sometimes, like the Totusentai theme and the Ginyu battle music owns

And I'm sorry but Makafushigi Adventure loving slaps to this day, and is the loving theme of all of Dragonball to me. Such a great song

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

GT music was redone in the West, yes.

I dunno why they made every single song as forgettable as possible, but it was certainly a design choice.

in "the west" or in America?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

TulliusCicero posted:

And I'm sorry but Makafushigi Adventure loving slaps to this day, and is the loving theme of all of Dragonball to me. Such a great song

I don't know if this was in the original Japanese edit but one my favorite bits in Battle of the Gods is when that theme kicks in when the Pilaf gang are freaking out about Goten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz0iDcC0fD4

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I forgot Day of Fate for Gohan's SSJ2 Rage. Holy poo poo that scene is stunning

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Siegkrow posted:

in "the west" or in America?

America, we had this weird industrial soundtrack that was awful.

Larryb posted:

The JP GT soundtrack is fine, but not really anything to write home about. Dandan is like the only noteworthy thing about its music.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The thing to know about the JP GT soundtrack is in one of the dvd releases Funimation put the original music back in to GT, but the narrator remained the same. Idk how many people remember the narrator but it was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSwDPXIIsaU

And it would play with this in the background

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwSLrKgfBr4

And the dissonance between the two was incredible

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

To be exact. They did not say only good people. They said bring back everyone who died since yesterday, except for the ones that were really evil. Ginyu Frog, Pilaf, and new Red Ribbon guys probably were just not evil enough to count.

Between being a magical dragon immune to consequences whose own morality seems to end at "Freeza was a dick and his people are annoying I'm at least going to bring him back in pieces" and the sheer scale and complication of that request, Shenron wisely decided to be incredibly high in his standards for "really evil."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
What was with that trend of redoing the musical scores anyway? Didn't some other localized anime do it as well?