Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Onani Master Kurosawa and the first MHA chapter btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I have a question is it a head of lettuce or a cob of lettuce?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I only very rarely have the capacity to cry at media, but when I was rereading Drum Island in One Piece recently and went back to the anime version for both Chopper's backstory and the big climax as he leaves... I was definitely welling up.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Raenir Salazar posted:

Entry level question. This is really just the tip of the iceberg

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~

Raenir Salazar posted:

cob

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Rip MHA I never liked you more than All Might saying Deku could be a hero too

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Sakurazuka posted:

Scrapped Princess was popular enough at one point to be the poster child for completely out of left field endings that ruined it for 90% of watchers at least lol

??? but the weird swerve into sci-fi was the part I remember fondly

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I'm a monster I read Bokurano and didn't cry

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

??? but the weird swerve into sci-fi was the part I remember fondly

the best weird swerve into sci-fi is utawarerumono

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

the best weird swerve into sci-fi is utawarerumono

I read the visnov a very long time ago and remember almost nothing besides that I liked it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the sequels are really good if you havent played them, they also seemingly operate on you barely remembering the original given the expectations they play with. its relaly rad that it managed to get sequels 15 years after the fact and they were made with a lot of love and care, honestly

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Oh I saw your post in the goty thread on them but assumed that you needed to have more memory of the original than "MC has a mask" "animal ears" "big sword" "ainu names" and "framed as an isekai hut actually set in the future" (that last one may not even be strictly true)

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

god drat

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Oh I saw your post in the goty thread on them but assumed that you needed to have more memory of the original than "MC has a mask" "animal ears" "big sword" "ainu names" and "framed as an isekai hut actually set in the future" (that last one may not even be strictly true)
they catch you up on most relevant stuff and it has a largely new cast, and the mc isnt familiar with the events of the original game either. so they catch you up pretty well. the og cast shows up mind and are relevant but theyre integrated in a way where your vague memories can do most of the heavy lifting. recommend em, theyre a bit slow in spots but not nearly as much as the original and the writing's great. decently fun srpg too, even if there's long stretches between battles

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Unfortunately my list of video games is even longer than my list of anime and they take many times longer than a one cour TV show each

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this is very true and fair, despite utawarerumono 2 validating a yuri ship from the original i had when i was 15

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Captain Baal posted:

Rip MHA I never liked you more than All Might saying Deku could be a hero too

remember when mha was good and things felt like they were happening organically

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
not really

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

atuy rules

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Patware posted:

the first part kinda, the second part literally never

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

MHA gave us Vigilantes, so it's not all bad.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
We were all different people eight years ago

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Patware posted:

Chief, I'm gonna be real with you outside of like the first two arcs I have not particularly found any of MHA's relationships to be that well crafted. Ochaco and Aoyama probably had the most natural relationships with Deku, otherwise the rest of the cast never had much in the way of strong bonding or they are Bakugo who loving sucks.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ironically the character who hems and haws to the point of seeming like a creeper over talking to someone he relates with but has anxiety over doing so is the most relatable bit in MHA I've seen so far and it was most definitely meant to be comedy over anything else

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
my dear friend aoyama who will definitely be relevant again

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

you should read the manga before making such posts

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Strange Quark posted:

Lol

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm ready for the dramatic irony to strike me down when I see it in 2027

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Iruma has done a much better job of doing all the things I wanted MHA to do, imo

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

marumaru posted:

i didn't finish punpun

You should finish Punpun.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

DoubleDonut posted:

Iruma has done a much better job of doing all the things I wanted MHA to do, imo

I agree Miu Iruma from Danganronpa V3 is excellent

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Captain Baal posted:

I agree Miu Iruma from Danganronpa V3 is excellent

I’m pretty sure you telling me danganronpa got really bad is part of why I stopped following it entirely

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I finally played V3 like three years ago and it was honestly surprisingly good. Danganronpa is still mostly bad tho.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

because mha was good, i liked it enough to keep reading it

because they gradually choked the school aspect, i disconnected from it enough that i just get to casually read it without freaking out about quality or it going fast/slow/different

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
danganronpa did get really bad. v3 is, the exception, outside of chapter 3 kinda sucking. still hated it less than any of the worst chapters of dr2 thoguh

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the thesis of drv3 is that danganronpa sucks

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
and now the dangan ronpa crew is back with another bad anime this season

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The Colonel posted:

danganronpa did get really bad

Another successful goon project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

a lot of the relationships always sucked and were happening by the hand of god but i felt like the whole "society" aspect and how it was developing was on the right track

until it extremely was not and now is just kind of relitigating x-men, the comic that relitigates itself every year

vigilantes was cool though there's some stuff in the most recent chapters that i'm choking down