Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I knew the Magu-chan ending was coming and it still got me despite being the most obvious thing in the entire world to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Uron Mirage is incredible.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'M NOT CRYING AT THE MAGU CHAN ENDING, I JUST HAVE SOMETHING IN MY EYE. Really though, great ending to a great series.

Also man, the Ayashimon chapter this week was really good, too. This manga is so good.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I knew I was in for something good when I saw the Uron Mirage popularity poll

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Congratulations Suzu and Matsuri on realizing they can just be gay.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Magu-Chan had such a wonderful, beautiful ending.

And jesus, Ayashimon is really just showing off its potential this week, getting me psyched.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Ayashimon: I am actually extremely disappointed that the marker doodle by Ten didn't end up being part of Maruo's permanent tattoo. :colbert:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Lt. Lizard posted:

Ayashimon: I am actually extremely disappointed that the marker doodle by Ten didn't end up being part of Maruo's permanent tattoo. :colbert:

Fair. Very fair.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Magu-chan: so is that Ruru's granddaughter? Obviously can't be her daughter, but if it's her granddaughter then that would mean he washed up pretty much immediately. Maybe great-granddaughter? Plus it's nice to get confirmation that Naputaaku got a happy ending.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Magu-chan: so is that Ruru's granddaughter? Obviously can't be her daughter, but if it's her granddaughter then that would mean he washed up pretty much immediately. Maybe great-granddaughter? Plus it's nice to get confirmation that Naputaaku got a happy ending.

Grand daughter or great gandaughter were my guesses, yeah.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
She's implied to be a descendant, yes. Though it could be like, centuries later.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Magu-chan Ruru died an old lady and then Magu-chan got locked up again for at least 100 years so it is definitely more than grand or great-granddaughter.

Edit: I would like a Magu-chan anime.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Overall I've been enjoying Blue Box, but BOY OH BOY am I getting tired of its chapter cliffhangers that tease character development / confrontation, only to IMMEDIATELY drop it and go "oh well" then move on like nothing happened. It just feels so lazy and insincere.

muscles like this! posted:

I would like a Magu-chan anime.

:hai:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ayashimon: Amazing chapter. Lookin' forward to what we've got coming!

Elusive Samurai: Time for some Genba development, I guess! Also still excited for shenanigans in Kyo!

Mashle: Oh no, Mash is pulling the "Forgive me, master...." card out. The two page shot was pretty cool, too. Guess water is strong after all.

Roboco: It was okay.

Sakamoto: Man, I am really getting Hunter Exams flashbacks from this. In a good way.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Darth TNT posted:

Mash: Going Rock Lee on Gaara…again. I’m still hype though.

I'm down for it.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

Same. It was such a perfect fit for that moron. I love Maruo's priorities. I also love how his background with his father plays into his motivations and worldviews while not being overwhelming.

Elusive: Genba getting a training arc, but he's probably going to half rear end it.

Roboco: Meh.

Sakamoto: Lol, the ballpoint pen.

Witch Watch: Why wasn't there a Witch Watch?

Uron Mirage: poo poo, this is the hottest new comer. I have no idea what's happening, but I'm here for the next issue.

Undead: Ruin is weird.

Magu: We already talked about this chapter. But rereading it, A pretty interesting choice with how they kept blocking Ruru's husband's face. I really do appreciate how this series never actually fixed the problems in Ruru's life by fixing the core (IE no dad, mom always being away), instead focusing on her friends. It was a fun and wholesome ride.

Doron: This is escalating quickly.

Shugomaru: It looks so bad, but it's quite funny. I picked this up again after some positive comments here.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/wsj_manga/status/1490590375895080963?s=21

A secret Magu Chan plan?

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Feb 7, 2022

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Pleeeeaaase let it be a Magu anime!

I've been thinking about Ayashimon, and I feel like a weaker series would have waited a lot longer for this character moment between Urara and Maruo, playing up her using him and him not realizing it etc. I'm glad we got it out of the way quickly instead of dragging things out. Ironically, this chapter felt a lot like something from One Piece, which probably WOULD have taken a lot more time before the reveal, so maybe I'm wrong lol. At any rate, I'm enjoying the found family themes going on here. Both Maruo and Urara were betrayed by their biological parents, and Urara was saved by her guardian, who was her defacto mother. And now they're a new family ready to support each other! It's a very appropriate theme for yakuza, which often uses the term "family" for its gangs

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yo Magu-Chan what the hell.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Darth TNT posted:

Mash: Going Rock Lee on Gaara…again. I’m still hype though.
you're a little bit late to be finding out mashle is "what if rock lee won his fights"

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Personally it’s Harry Potter X One Punch Man, that’s just me though

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Yes, but everything has to be Naruto, even if the manga in question clearly and most directly draws from ONE's works and Harry Potter.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Me as well.
It's obviously much more One Punch meets Harry Potter in setting and tone. But the author clearly likes his shout outs.

I Am Fowl posted:

Yes, but everything has to be Naruto, even if the manga in question clearly and most directly draws from ONE's works and Harry Potter.

I also have forgotten the literal fight between a sand guy and Mash including "handsigns" (which was Mash getting undressed) and the weird overhead heel kick.

But we'll see what happens this time. :allears:

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Last Celebration posted:

It's Mx0.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

cisneros posted:

It's Mx0.
Still mad

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
On the bright side, what was the last "Tragic" WSJ cancelation? Most of the latest ones have been pretty clean, ether a series coming to an end or something bad imploding in on itsel- oh wait Candy Flurry, yeah.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 8, 2022

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

candy flurry, tell c, cop dolphin, phantom seer, bone collection

plenty of options

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ConanThe3rd posted:

On the bright side, what was the last "Tragic" WSJ cancelation? Most of the latest ones have been pretty good, all said.

Depends on your definition of tragic and how much you liked the series that got canceled. I know plenty of people liked Red Hood, Neru, and Candy Flurry recently, and Phantom Seer and i tell c going back earlier last year. Then you have situations like Act Age getting cancelled due to the writer molesting children, which sucks for all the fans and the artist who worked on it, but was absolutely the right decision.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

oh yeah, act-age got blammed off the website so i didn't even grab it when scrolling back through cancellations

:negative:

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Tragically cancelled for normal reasons: Marry Grave
Tragically cancelled for good reasons: Act Age
Tragically cancelled for fictional reasons: Detective Trap

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Tragically never seen again: Uron Mirage

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cop Dolphins first chapter features a scene where it is cool and good for police to shoot wildly at fleeing suspects so it is for the best.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Tragically never seen again: Uron Mirage

You're half right.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Cop Dolphins first chapter features a scene where it is cool and good for police to shoot wildly at fleeing suspects so it is for the best.

if judging series by first chapters alone would also kill something like Mashle, sign me up

ultimately Cop Dolphin was an ocean-themed riff on Beelzebub though, and father/daughter comedy stuff like that is good

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

:same:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tell c getting cancelled wasn't tragic

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
are shounen jump manga more violent/gory than they have been in a while? i know traditionally you could get away with basically anything in it but it felt like a ton of stuff for a while wasn't particularly gory and then there is chainsaw man, JJK, sakamoto and undead unlucky

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jose posted:

are shounen jump manga more violent/gory than they have been in a while? i know traditionally you could get away with basically anything in it but it felt like a ton of stuff for a while wasn't particularly gory and then there is chainsaw man, JJK, sakamoto and undead unlucky

Yeah, they are. Things got toned down for a while in the 90s after the whole serial killer thing, but Attack on Titan's success encouraged Shonen manga to go more violent.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

New Ranger Reject

drat, what a chapter. Strong final page.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Ibblebibble posted:

New Ranger Reject

drat, what a chapter. Strong final page.

God, I am here for this. I swear Ranger Reject keeps getting better with every page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
More Magilumiere and I'm really liking this and the cast are likable or likable to hit, at least.

I mean cripes (ch4) Who do you think you are having a clock that big in your office, Ozymandias?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Feb 9, 2022