Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
And the Rodgers/Broncos rumors persist.

The Denver Broncos quarterback search is underway and while there is plenty of focus on the 2022 NFL Draft, general manager George Paton is reportedly still focused on landing Aaron Rodgers from the Green Bay Packers.

When reports first surfaced before the 2021 NFL Draft that Rodgers wanted out of Green Bay, the Broncos immediately jumped out as a landing spot. The future Hall of Fame quarterback liked what the Broncos built and there was mutual interest in a pairing. But Green Bay prevented a trade and resolved its differences with Rodgers...

https://sportsnaut.com/denver-broncos-interest-aaron-rodgers-trade/

“Recently, while golfing, John Elway confided to friends that he would personally part with two first-round picks to acquire Rodgers. It is important to note that Elway isn’t the one making the decisions, but he likely has a voice in the process. However, at the end of the day, this is Paton’s show.”

-Pro Football Network’s Tony Pauline on Denver Broncos’ interest in Aaron Rodgers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I would imagine that that Rodgers is going to have a lot of suitors, Green Bay can probably get two firsts at least. There’s probably 8 teams you could make a case that are a good QB away from a deep playoff run.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Imagine if Tampa somehow pulled Rogers. Him and DeSantis would be bffs

and I'd jump off a cliff

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
What team is gonna give up two 1sts for a first round exit?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Rodgers could very well be the third best QB in that division lol

Would make more sense for him to go Steelers or Titans.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
bort bort bort BORT BORT BORT BORT! BOR! BORT!BORTTT BORTT BORTTT

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Grip it and rip it posted:

bort bort bort BORT BORT BORT BORT! BOR! BORT!BORTTT BORTT BORTTT

C'mon! Out with it!!!

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Is this a thing? Worth any time or consideration?

Pro Bowl QB Kyler Murray Scrubs Any Mention of Cardinals from His Social Media

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/kyler-murray-scrubs-cardinals-social-media

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Quite a bit of internet blather about Russ being under-appreciated in Seattle and possibly headed to Washington. But I wouldn't bet on it.

https://twitter.com/CmdrJDub/status/1490760413268430848

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I mean, if he isn't completely cooked Russ would definitely be the best QB in the NFC East but that ain't saying much.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

CocoaNuts posted:

Murray hasn't shown that he's an NFL quality starter. Unless the Cards think he'll take a Josh Allen style leap, if they can fleece a team, they should.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

CocoaNuts posted:

who knows? nobody except him i guess. maybe

jumping to conclusions based on that is probably foolish

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Kyler wants to go back to baseball, follow me on the various websites for more exclusive scoops

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Leaving the door open...

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1491058574562406405

Nov 6, 2002

What's that?? The sound of a thousand keyboards furiously pounding out clickbait Tom Brady headlines.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

MrLogan posted:

Murray hasn't shown that he's an NFL quality starter. Unless the Cards think he'll take a Josh Allen style leap, if they can fleece a team, they should.

If he didn't miss time he would have thrown for 4500 yards, and 30 TDs at a 69% completion rate. He's definitely a productive starter. He just hasn't had post season success or shown himself to be able to go drive for drive with Matt Stafford in his only playoff game. I think he's definitely worth seeing out his fourth year and the cardinals trading him at this point - barring it being for someones top 15 pick would have no answer to who they trot out unless they sign Jameis Winston or Nick Foles.

Down the stretch with an injury and his number one target out he faded I'll grant you, but you don't throw out a QB doing that in his 3rd year - at least I don't think it's a smart move to do so.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

MrLogan posted:

Oh Christ, now I'm picturing Kyler to the Steelers and Garoppolo to the Cards.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Oh and just for the record, if Tom comes back and drags the Cardinals to a Super Bowl victory I will finally admit he is the GOAT. :toxx: it.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

BlindSite posted:

If he didn't miss time he would have thrown for 4500 yards, and 30 TDs at a 69% completion rate. He's definitely a productive starter. He just hasn't had post season success or shown himself to be able to go drive for drive with Matt Stafford in his only playoff game. I think he's definitely worth seeing out his fourth year and the cardinals trading him at this point - barring it being for someones top 15 pick would have no answer to who they trot out unless they sign Jameis Winston or Nick Foles.

Down the stretch with an injury and his number one target out he faded I'll grant you, but you don't throw out a QB doing that in his 3rd year - at least I don't think it's a smart move to do so.

Agreed, and you didn't even mention his ability to run! He also really missed having Hopkins to throw to in the second half of the season.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Feels like Kyler has to do crazy improv poo poo every game in Kliff's offense to get to those numbers. It'd be fun to see him in a system more geared to what he can do and that didn't completely fall apart whenever Nuk gets hurt

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The level of play of the Mahomes-Allen-Burrow-Herbert collective has distorted our view on what constitutes an acceptable starting QB. Murray is still at worst, what, a top 12 QB?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Kyler belongs in that group imo, he is just as talented and was probably in the MVP conversation with Rodgers in the first half of the season until he got hurt and his team fell apart.

Nov 6, 2002

Yeah what is all this retcon poo poo that suddenly Murray isn't an NFL starter? He was clearly still playing injured down the stretch and I think gets a mulligan for that. It doesn't just wipe out how electric he had been.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Also that group should include Lamar

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

You got got by the ref scams guy

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Kyler is still a top 10 QB, even if he is not Mahomes.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think that's the basic inefficiency of the quarterback market. You have 4-5 guys who are elite, then another 15 guys who are all more or less interchangeable that you have to sign to the richest contact in NFL history anytime one of them is up for an extension.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's time to stop numbering the quality of the qb. top 12 now could be the same level as top 15 tomorrow. the world is hosed up...

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I watched plenty of Panthers games last year and plenty of Cardinals games and I can freely admit I would not be unhappy if Kyler was suiting up for my team every week.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Yeah what is all this retcon poo poo that suddenly Murray isn't an NFL starter? He was clearly still playing injured down the stretch and I think gets a mulligan for that. It doesn't just wipe out how electric he had been.

He was terrible his first two years. Looked like he had finally figured out how to read a defense this year and made the leap, but then he regressed hard after the injury.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
With how bad the Saints are going to be, it almost seems like Winston is better off signing anywhere else, even if it's as a backup.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Their WRs currently suck but if the Saints are just going to restructure their core and get Michael Thomas back they should still have a pretty good team. It’s a good landing spot for any QB.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The saints offensive line and running back situation unless Kamara gets hit with a long suspension is always going to make them attractive. It's always going to be a safe choice. The team's pretty solid if unspectacular everywhere and if nothing else they'll be right in the mix for the playoffs by way of the division sucking.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I thought their O line struggled quite a lot this year actually, in comparison to years past.

But their defense was elite and overall they were a playoff-ready team outside of QB.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Play posted:

I thought their O line struggled quite a lot this year actually, in comparison to years past.

But their defense was elite and overall they were a playoff-ready team outside of QB.

They weren't as good as years past but they did have some injuries and a constantly rotating rear end bag at QB. Their tackle situation is still one of the best in the league and their interior isn't bad.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Cool thread. Thanks for starting it.

Off the top of my head and whoo boy is that a bad list of free agents and a lovely pool of draft QB's:

Broncos: Probably going to try and land Rodgers

Panthers: Yeesh. I don't know WTF they're gonna do. That's a mess. I could maybe see a Garapollo or Mariotta move since the rest of the team seems...OK enough...and QB play is holding them back a lot. Maybe Watson?

Washington: I guess you could do worse than what they have while you ride out the year but it aint ideal. I don't think Jimmy G would change much. Mariotta might be interesting here also.

Vikings: You almost have to ride out Cousins unless you want to risk signing Watson and everything that goes with that

SF: They hand the keys to Lance

New Orleans: I guess I'd keep Winston. :shrug: Russel Wilson would make sense here.

Eagles: They have 3 first rounders in a weak draft. Hurts progressed this year and Minshew is a good backup. I'd stand pat and rebuild the roster.

Lions: One of these teams is gonna take a flyer on a 1st round QB in the draft and Detroit seems logical. You can trade back and still get Pickett or Malik

Packers: If Rodgers bolts, Jordan Love gets a shot

Miami: Another weird situation. Personally, I'd try to work a scheme around Tua somehow but this is a team with no identity who just canned a good head coach. Watson would make sense if you can deal with the baggage.

Browns: Commit to Baker? I don't know what other options they have. Like Miami, they're kind of stuck. Tyler Huntley did OK last year and may catch someone's eye Matt Castle or Nick Foles style. Looking over NFL backups and no one really stands out as having world changing potential. Does Andy Dalton or Tyrod Talyor excite anybody? Taysom Hill?

Tampa Bay: I didn't even think about this one. Jimmy G or Mariotta here makes sense as a stop gap. Also a flyer on QB in the draft given where they're picking.

NY Giants: Are hosed.

Real interesting to think about. For as much as I feel that there a ton of good young QB's out there and how set most teams feel, when I really look at it, a lot of teams are in no man's land. Someone is gonna take a flyer on Desean Watson or certainly Russel Wilson. Pittsburgh almost has to grab a 1st round QB in the draft, no? Maybe Huntley or Mike WHite caught somebody's eye and think they can develop them but most of the backups are names like Peterman, Flacco, Chase Daniel, Chad Henne, Drew Lock...yeesh.

It wouldn't shock me to see a team pry Minshew from the Eagles. He or Foles might make some sense in PITT.

BlindSite posted:

Trying to think who has decent yard after catch receivers and a good run game?

Miami? Carolina too like you said. Also, I didn't even think of Tampa but that could work. JG could fit in a lot of places with a good coach and surrounding talent.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 13, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Double post

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 13, 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
why would anyone sign Mariota to be more than a backup? he wasn’t even good before he destroyed the nerves in his hand

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

BiggerBoat posted:

Cool thread. Thanks for starting it.

Miami? Carolina too like you said. Also, I didn't even think of Tampa but that could work. JG could fit in a lot of places with a good coach and surrounding talent.

Thanks for your thoughts.

You mentioned Deshaun Watson. We're bound to see some developments with his situation over the coming months. I just saw this report a short while ago, indicating that Tampa or Seattle might be interested in acquiring his services (contract should come with a no massages clause).

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/02/13/bucs-future-post-brady-deshaun-watson-russell-wilson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

indigi posted:

why would anyone sign Mariota to be more than a backup? he wasn’t even good before he destroyed the nerves in his hand

Depends on what a team's true agenda is, I suppose. Mariota isn't leading anyone to the Super Bowl, but for the handful of owners in the league who are contact to put a mediocre product on the field and not have to pay too much for it, Mariota could have some appeal. Maybe there's some upside there as well, but it doesn't even have to materialize for some franchises to be satisfied, as long as they're making money.