Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Another package from Japan

Got this lot for the Casiopea albums, the others are just a bonus

The bulk of it here is Masayoshi Takanaka, another bulk lot but I mainly wanted Can I Sing?, top left I took a chance on and is some Ryukyu enka? I can't find any information on it but sounds nice so far, next to that is just a Yujihiro Ishihara comp that I bought because I like his voice and I liked the album cover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Where do you get these from, I forget. Yahoo Japan?

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Arcella posted:

Where do you get these from, I forget. Yahoo Japan?

Mostly, and a few other shops that will only ship within Japan and only deal with Japanese buyers which the ZenMarket can handle, gotta consolidate on shipping!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

what's the label on that one? Old Everest Records stuff with the blue and silver label (before they became a budget label which included a lot of bad repressings of their back catalog) sound amazing for the time, they were an old-school audiophile label and had Stokowski as their main signing for classical music.

Uh, black and silver

Was a day for unusual labels as well. Got these as well:

petit choux fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 8, 2022

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

screaden posted:

top left I took a chance on and is some Ryukyu enka? I can't find any information on it but sounds nice so far

This is it. Miyara is a pretty well known Okinawan composer.

Edit: this probably leans more towards just Okinawan folk songs, which Miyara was famous for transcribing, than (modern) enka, but admittedly I've not listened to it.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 8, 2022

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

screaden posted:

Mostly, and a few other shops that will only ship within Japan and only deal with Japanese buyers which the ZenMarket can handle, gotta consolidate on shipping!

Ah cool. I saw you had posted a city pop discord link a while ago, that thing still active?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

It's gonna be a Nintendo sorta night. :D

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Sheep posted:

This is it. Miyara is a pretty well known Okinawan composer.

Edit: this probably leans more towards just Okinawan folk songs, which Miyara was famous for transcribing, than (modern) enka, but admittedly I've not listened to it.

Huh, lots of purple links on this page, I must have found it not long after I bought it and completely forgotten about it? I checked some of the titles against other stuff in my collection and it matched with a few Okinawan folk comps so you're right. I've only had a quick listen and it's all enka/kayo stuff so I guess it's pop renditions of folk tunes.

Arcella posted:

Ah cool. I saw you had posted a city pop discord link a while ago, that thing still active?

Yeah it's still going https://discord.gg/pN2fST6

screaden fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 8, 2022

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
^^^cool, thanks!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

petit choux posted:

Uh, black and silver

oh yeah that's also a good one, the rereleases have a cheaper looking blue and orange label

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
RIP Betty Davis. :smith:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
If anybody missed the repress of Slough Feg's Traveler a couple months ago, it looks like there's another run of 300 white and 200 black. They just popped up on Audioglobe and it's probably worth keeping an eye on the band's site, too.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
https://www.discogs.com/release/19500409-Takenobu-Mitsuyoshi-Daytona-USA-Arcade

lmao the cover art on this is so great

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Welp now I'll have "rolling staaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart" stuck in my head all day.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I emailed the folks at Omnian Music Group about my Mouth Congress album that got lost in the mail and they sent me another one no questions asked and I even got the autographed print.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

CPL593H posted:

I emailed the folks at Omnian Music Group about my Mouth Congress album that got lost in the mail and they sent me another one no questions asked and I even got the autographed print.

:hfive: f*ck yea bro!! :madmax:

I got mine last month and it was mildly damaged, they sent me a replacement and a return label and also a download code even though I had bought the CD by then. Good people at Captured Tracks and their shipper, Omnian

Contrast to the once-great Jeepster, which is now just a "hey remember this classic release of ours from 20 years ago??" label, who told me to pound dirt when i asked for a download of a vinyl pressing that was $40 before shipping.

pwn fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 12, 2022

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008
Hi folks! I’m about to dive into vinyl. My dad is giving me his old Harman/Kardon 430 receiver along with his Bang Olufsen Beogram 2400 turntable. I’m going to have them looked at by a local record shop to make sure everything is in usable shape. Any experience with either of these items? In my brief research it appears that replacement cartridges for the BO are unique and somewhat pricey.

I’ll also need to get a pair of bookshelf speakers to pair with this setup. Looking to spend around $300 or under for starters. Seems like a bunch of decent options out there. Any recommendations?

Really looking forward to getting this up and running and listening to his choice of vinyl to kick things off! Thanks in advance!

pwn
May 27, 2004

Game-Blouses posted:

Hi folks! I’m about to dive into vinyl.

Don't

Game-Blouses posted:

My dad is giving me his old Harman/Kardon 430 receiver along with his Bang Olufsen Beogram 2400 turntable. I’m going to have them looked at by a local record shop to make sure everything is in usable shape. Any experience with either of these items? In my brief research it appears that replacement cartridges for the BO are unique and somewhat pricey.

The stylus is the most important part of the system, it's what physically touches every record you play. You have a head start on the turntable, though I don't know enough about it to say if it's worth it (you could get a new TT with decent beginner stylus and cart for not much more than whatever one may cost for the Bang Olefsun. I'll leave that to other, more informed folk.)

Game-Blouses posted:

I’ll also need to get a pair of bookshelf speakers to pair with this setup. Looking to spend around $300 or under for starters. Seems like a bunch of decent options out there. Any recommendations?

I will never not stan my Kantos. I have the YU3, you can see a Techmoan review below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOlPl7JMeis

Enjoy, and don't do it! Turn back

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

CPL593H posted:

That's rad of them.

I haven't listened to it myself but one of the WFMU shows last week had the dudes from Mouth Congress on for an interview.

https://wfmu.org/playlists/shows/112337

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I was thinking it but I didn't want to piss on the parade again.

In other news I was at Newbury Comics and they had one of the Watchmen soundtrack albums in the discount bin so I bought it. It's pretty cool because all the packaging commits to the fake tv show within the real tv gimmick. It even comes with a cool little newspaper clipping that's even cut uneven like someone did it with scissors. The inner sleeve has an episode guide for the Hooded Justice tv show.

I'd been meaning to get these for some time but I never did because they're 30 bucks a pop and there are three. I've enjoyed the scores Trent Reznor has been doing in recent years.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 12, 2022

pwn
May 27, 2004

I bought those three for my friend for christmas, i managed to get a package deal for $70 shipped. Then I got some of these (thanks for the rec!) so I could house them and display the hype stickers. They came out quite well. Regrettably I shot 0 photos of the finished product, maybe my friend will shoot some soon.

I did listen to each one twice before shipping them out, very nice.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Game-Blouses posted:

Hi folks! I’m about to dive into vinyl. My dad is giving me his old Harman/Kardon 430 receiver along with his Bang Olufsen Beogram 2400 turntable. I’m going to have them looked at by a local record shop to make sure everything is in usable shape. Any experience with either of these items? In my brief research it appears that replacement cartridges for the BO are unique and somewhat pricey.

Really looking forward to getting this up and running and listening to his choice of vinyl to kick things off! Thanks in advance!

Can we take a peek at the b and o system?

I love the look of those things, but I've also heard repairs/servicing can be expensive and difficult for them

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Game-Blouses posted:

Weird. A coworker of mine just asked me about a Bang Olufsen they just got.

Oh look. They are still around and you can snag one for $11000. Nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDZB_E39k2c

Anyway. If the stylus is good it's a nice find but since it looks like stylus replacements are around $250 you could just get something new and reliable like a Uturn.

Edit: Oh yeah. I'm not gonna say don't get into this hobby, but be warned, it is at the most expensive it has ever been.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 12, 2022

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

CPL593H posted:

In other news I was at Newbury Comics and they had one of the Watchmen soundtrack albums in the discount bin so I bought it. It's pretty cool because all the packaging commits to the fake tv show within the real tv gimmick. It even comes with a cool little newspaper clipping that's even cut uneven like someone did it with scissors. The inner sleeve has an episode guide for the Hooded Justice tv show.

I'd been meaning to get these for some time but I never did because they're 30 bucks a pop and there are three. I've enjoyed the scores Trent Reznor has been doing in recent years.

It's funny because for a period of time not long after the soundtracks came out they were super hard to find and you'd see scalpers selling them for like $90 a pop on discogs. Nice to see them come crashing back down to earth for once (about a month ago I picked up a different Watchmen soundtrack from yours at a shop that was also on clearance for about 15 bucks)

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008
Of course! Thanks for the replies so far. I’m having my 2nd child in July, so I won’t be diving in head first based off the cost of vinyl at the moment. More like a toe…for now…

Receiver

Turntable

Disregard the mess in my unfinished basement. Just moved a few months ago!

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

Haha. See. The resident doom and gloom person of this thread found a cool vinyls for a good price. It can still be done. I usually scope out the vinyl deals on reddit as well as my local store's bargain bin. If your record store has a listening station take five records at a time that look interesting up and and drop the needle. You might not find what you where looking for but often you will find new (to you) good poo poo.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ballz posted:

It's funny because for a period of time not long after the soundtracks came out they were super hard to find and you'd see scalpers selling them for like $90 a pop on discogs. Nice to see them come crashing back down to earth for once (about a month ago I picked up a different Watchmen soundtrack from yours at a shop that was also on clearance for about 15 bucks)

It probably helps that the TV show fell out of the public consciousness really fast. It was 17.99 which is what they loving thing should cost in the first place. The record is actually really nice pressing too. I'll definitely grab the other two when I see them cheap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLZtqLrzbfs

I've actually made had decent finds at Savers lately just by virtue of going there two or three times a week and the fact that the records come out at completely random times so some jerkoff can't just show up and plunder everything.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 12, 2022

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Game-Blouses posted:

Don’t buy new speakers if you can avoid it. See what Craigslist has up, check thrift stores, etc. That’s a nice rig though!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

CPL593H posted:

I believe that came with every copy.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Nihonniboku posted:

I believe that came with every copy.

The first 300. I figured they would have sold really quickly because it's generally a really exciting release but people are so loving square.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Maybe it did "sell out" but they could have held back a handful for situations like this. Someone order one now and report which copy you receive

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

pwn posted:

Maybe it did "sell out" but they could have held back a handful for situations like this. Someone order one now and report which copy you receive

It's not really normally my style of music, and I don't often listen to lyrics so musical comedy is usually lost on me, but it's a fun record.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
My haul today from the local record show. Tusk has some water damage but the vinyl is fine and it was $5.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Yesterday I saw a copy of Jobriath in a record store for 65 bucks and I actually laughed. Come the gently caress on.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I preordered the new Orville Peck and bought the new Animal Collective

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I've seen the show twice, Hippie Jam Band-era Animal Collective owns.

Also: Rudimentary Peni's Death Church is now available stateside through Sorry State! https://www.sorrystaterecords.com/products/220203904

Can't wait for the Cacophony reissue. :getin:

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
new Animal Collective record is incredible. it's pretty much exactly the record everyone seemed to wish they would make after Painting With. basically an entire album of "Bluish"

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

CPL593H posted:

Yesterday I saw a copy of Jobriath in a record store for 65 bucks and I actually laughed. Come the gently caress on.

Was it a record store owned by Morrissey?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CornHolio posted:

My haul today from the local record show. Tusk has some water damage but the vinyl is fine and it was $5.

Been listening to a couple tunes off that BOC album this week. Never figured out who or what Buck is but he's always been sort of a powerful force. That is the best BOC album and I'm pretty envious of that score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Tyranny and mutation rules