Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I thought Prodeus looked a little off until I slapped on the CRT filter. Should've been enabled by default IMO. Distant geometry resolving crisply? Not in my 90s throwback boomer shooter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

acksplode posted:

I thought Prodeus looked a little off until I slapped on the CRT filter. Should've been enabled by default IMO. Distant geometry resolving crisply? Not in my 90s throwback boomer shooter

Which graphics are you using?
Sprites or 3d

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Sprites all the way. 3D was fun for a minute but drat I love the look of these sprites.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

acksplode posted:

Sprites all the way. 3D was fun for a minute but drat I love the look of these sprites.

I don't judge people who like the retro look and 8 bit games and all that, but man I've spent my life trying to get away from graphics like that. My first console was an Atari 2600, and every generation of console since has made me never want to return to the generation before it. Last gen titles are still fine as there's not not that much difference yet, but I don't replay 360 games because I just can't enjoy the graphics.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I don't judge people who like the retro look and 8 bit games and all that, but man I've spent my life trying to get away from graphics like that. My first console was an Atari 2600, and every generation of console since has made me never want to return to the generation before it. Last gen titles are still fine as there's not not that much difference yet, but I don't replay 360 games because I just can't enjoy the graphics.

Yeah same, I prefer not to revisit games I loved back in the day because inevitably it is a let down with how the graphics look etc.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah but the sprites in Prodeus are totally nuts. They're not static sprites sitting in memory, they're rendered dynamically from 3D models. So they get model deformation (you can blow off heads and limbs) and accurate lighting from the environment. It looks surreal and just loving great.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
I like nice graphics but unless it impacts playability in some way I have no problem playing old games. There are so many games that still play well despite being 10, 20, 30, or however many years old.

Do you not play indie games or games that otherwise don't push graphical boundaries? I had a decent time with The Gunk recently but it's not a looker.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

priznat posted:

Yeah same, I prefer not to revisit games I loved back in the day because inevitably it is a let down with how the graphics look etc.

except for a lot of the Xbox back compat stuff because they use Xbox magic to make it look really good :cheers:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it always looked good, because the xbox was win

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The one was fail

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I wish actually nice CRTs were easier to find, but between them being not made for the last, I dunno 15-20 years and the used gaming market becoming such a poo poo show thanks to "collectors" it seems like kind of a fools errand. Does not feel good at all to have my NES/SNES hooked up to a modern tv.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

except for a lot of the Xbox back compat stuff because they use Xbox magic to make it look really good :cheers:

You are right, there are some that look drat good. I recently got a series x, my previous xbox was the OG 360 and it still had all my silly little arcade purchases available to download. Geometry Wars still kicks rear end!

Exploring all the Game Pass games is a treat too, finally got to try Just Cause 4 after being a big fan of the series - yikes it's kind of trash now what the hell happened!?!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
speaking of series that became trash i really should replay Dead Rising 1

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I was watching a streamer play Dying Light 2 and yeeeesh.. The reviewers seem to like it ok but just watching it seems tedious as hell.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I like 2. It's an xbox 360 game, but for some reason it's colorful and has characters in it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah DR2 was just kind of a DR1 copy so it wasn't bad at all. then they hosed it up by making it generic

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the one on the bone was totally poo poo

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I have a question and hopefully you folks can answer it.

I have non-Kinect Xbox One. Most of the games I have are digital, but I have three on disc. I’d like to get the Xbox Series S because it’s cheaper, but would I have to buy digital versions of the games I have on disc? And would saved data transfer over in that situation? Thanks in advance.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

would I have to buy digital versions of the games I have on disc? And would saved data transfer over in that situation?

Yes to both

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

the one on the bone was totally poo poo

There's two. Dead Rising 3 somehow managed to be a xbox 360 style drab, colorless open world game. 4 is a complete disaster.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
4 is when they made Frank West a meme when the whole reason he was funny was that he was played straight, AKA the "Saints Row 3 maneuver"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Thank you

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

4 is when they made Frank West a meme when the whole reason he was funny was that he was played straight, AKA the "Saints Row 3 maneuver"

That's kind of happening in Off The Record, but the story is mostly carried over from 2 so it couldn't get too terrible about it.

Saints Row 3... perfect time to make Johnny Gat into a meme, right at the moment he's too busy to do any voice work. Just perfect loving timing right there.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I loving love older 3d games. The brown and bloom UE3 stuff looks abhorrent but there are definitely 360 era games that still look good. I guess it helps that most games I play these days are from Gen 6.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

There are definitely a good few games that don't look boring. For all my issues with where Saints Row went, they didn't really look like the stuff everyone makes fun of.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I think the question that I need answered next is - does Viva Pinata hold up??

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

acksplode posted:

the spritework tech in that game is intense

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

priznat posted:

I think the question that I need answered next is - does Viva Pinata hold up??

They're on Gamepass, download it and find out.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

joylessdivision posted:

They're on Gamepass, download it and find out.

I'm definitely gonna - it was pretty fun on 360 (?)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

There are definitely a good few games that don't look boring. For all my issues with where Saints Row went, they didn't really look like the stuff everyone makes fun of.

no, those games had more of a design-by-BeatMastrJ aesthetic

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
The Viva Pinata games were the best horror games ever made.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

4k60 Viva Pinata remaster when

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

PlatinumGames Appeals to Xbox to Help It Make Scalebound: 'Phil! Let’s Do It Together!' https://www.ign.com/articles/scalebound-platinum-xbox-phil-spencer

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

PlatinumGames Appeals to Xbox to Help It Make Scalebound: 'Phil! Let’s Do It Together!' https://www.ign.com/articles/scalebound-platinum-xbox-phil-spencer

Hard up for cash I see.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Their investors want multiplayer service games and xbox was pushing them in that direction when kamiya burned out.
Now that hes being forced to make that kind of game again hes thinking why start from scratch when i have one half built if only phil lets me have the files back

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I paid zero attention to video games from 2010 - 2018... What is (was?) scalebound?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

This would be awesome. Good for P*, those dudes rule and it's amazing they have no hard feelings after that situation.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

External Organs posted:

I paid zero attention to video games from 2010 - 2018... What is (was?) scalebound?

An ambitious Platinum action game with limited appeal that was cancelled late in development by MS because the Bone hardware was trash.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

External Organs posted:

A canceled platinum exclusive game for Xbox that, frankly, looked really bad in its limited live demos but was used as the banner for "xbox has no games, direction, and poo poo hardware" in the One era

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

5 minutes of whacking dirt in viva pinata and I’m bored