Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Pancakes
Apr 24, 2012

azazello posted:

Hello again dear Mazda goons. The paint on my 2008 MS3's mica blue rear wing/spoiler has been cracking and peeling, so it looks like poo poo. I've been checking ebay for a replacement OEM spoiler with no luck. Any recommendations for how to deal with this problem?

car-part.com

I bought my Ms3 pre-smashed and this has been a great resource to find yards reasonably close, replaced my hood, bumper, fender and headlights.
In other news, after driving cross country and back again my turbo was puking oil out of the compressor, so I did the only sensible thing and got a turbo, downpipe, intercooler, hpfp and intake. Currently tuning with Freektune, were on map 1 still and it RIPS. even at 0% wgdc and 14-15psi. very excited to see where this goes. Oh, also put on some Eibach springs while staying at my friends place, the rear end doesn't make a weird sproing noise anymore and the ride quality and handling are improved.
also got new ball joints at that time. Its been a busy couple months since I posted, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Super random, but does anyone want a set of H&R springs and Koni yellow sport shocks for a 3rd Gen Mazda3 in the Bay or Seattle areas? Roughly 16k miles on the set, pulled them off my car when I sold it earlier this year. Free to anyone that wants them or knows someone that wants them. If in the Bay, I’ll only be around until the end of the year so would need to organize pickup/dropoff in the next two weeks.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

loving hell, car is showing signs it needs the VVT work done - how much is this gonna cost :sigh:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

air- posted:

loving hell, car is showing signs it needs the VVT work done - how much is this gonna cost :sigh:

Checked the CEL and it's a P2009, at least this might just be a replacing a solenoid? Honestly I'm just exhausted with this car and I'm so ready to get rid of it

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

air- posted:

Checked the CEL and it's a P2009, at least this might just be a replacing a solenoid? Honestly I'm just exhausted with this car and I'm so ready to get rid of it

Miata time? (I got fed up and traded for a Miata)

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Do any of the few-of-you 1st gen Mazda3/MS3 havers want a phone mount? You still need a separate magnetic phone mount like the ones made by Scosche-- I took mine off to reuse on the phone mount I bought for the Miata.

I paid $35+shipping from Proclip, I listed it on the Mazdaspeed facebook groups for $25 shipped. I'll sell it to a goon for $20 shipped in the US, if someone wants it.

https://imgur.com/a/TqLoQdP

Also I have the OEM head unit sitting in my office, and I don't know what to do with it. Strangely I was able to sell on ebay for near $100, but it looks like the MS3 head unit isn't worth much if it even sells.

For that matter I have the OEM Mazdaspeed floormats in a box, and the OEM wheels in my shed. Do I just drop this sort of stuff off at a Goodwill?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Head unit is gone right? Hmm I'll take the floormats

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

ProClip mounts are awesome, big recommend. I had one in my gen 3 mazda3 even heh

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

air- posted:

Head unit is gone right? Hmm I'll take the floormats

I've got the OEM head unit from the 2009 MS3 GT. I don't know if it is different from the lower trim ("sport"?) MS3 but the car was equipped with the Bose stereo so it might be? I think it is a 6 disc head unit.

I'll send you the floor mats for the cost of shipping. I'm not sure how much that will run but I can try to get a quote in the next few days. Send me a DM with your address if you want both things or just the floor mats.

TheBacon posted:

ProClip mounts are awesome, big recommend. I had one in my gen 3 mazda3 even heh

Yeah it was a very good mount. Much better than those cheapo mounts that either wedge into the air vent or the CD slot.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

MetaJew posted:

Do any of the few-of-you 1st gen Mazda3/MS3 havers want a phone mount? You still need a separate magnetic phone mount like the ones made by Scosche-- I took mine off to reuse on the phone mount I bought for the Miata.

I paid $35+shipping from Proclip, I listed it on the Mazdaspeed facebook groups for $25 shipped. I'll sell it to a goon for $20 shipped in the US, if someone wants it.

https://imgur.com/a/TqLoQdP

Also I have the OEM head unit sitting in my office, and I don't know what to do with it. Strangely I was able to sell on ebay for near $100, but it looks like the MS3 head unit isn't worth much if it even sells.

For that matter I have the OEM Mazdaspeed floormats in a box, and the OEM wheels in my shed. Do I just drop this sort of stuff off at a Goodwill?

Looking at those climate controls below the head unit and can't help but feel the 3rd generation and onward are a step backwards. If the middle controls weren't just push button within a circle but also allowed the human to turn the outer the circle to change mode it would be the best climate control user interface in a few decades.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Anyone else got one of the current Mazda turbos? Threw down on a Soul Red CX-30 Turbo Premium over the weekend, should be delivered in a month. My 2011 MZ3 hatch has had a good run but I'm selling it while it's still in good shape and has value.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
No, but I have a 2021 (non turbo) cx-30 premium I really like.

The seats are great, Bose sounds good, I like the command knob, the plastic trim doesn't bother me.

I used cerakote wipes on the black plastic trim.

PraxxisParadoX
Jan 24, 2004
bittah.com
Pillbug

kefkafloyd posted:

Anyone else got one of the current Mazda turbos? Threw down on a Soul Red CX-30 Turbo Premium over the weekend, should be delivered in a month. My 2011 MZ3 hatch has had a good run but I'm selling it while it's still in good shape and has value.

I have this trim in Silver and it’s been a great year with it. My only quibbles are that the tank is a bit small (not a huge issue as it’s a weekend/road trip car for me) and I wish it had ventilated seats. I’m not a huge car person but I find it great to drive. I certainly haven’t regretted going turbo over non turbo. Happy to answer any specific questions if you or anyone else has any.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Yeah I have a 2020 Cx5 turbo, plenty of get up and go even with regular gas.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

MA-Horus posted:

Yeah I have a 2020 Cx5 turbo, plenty of get up and go even with regular gas.

This is one thing I was going to ask. I know you can run regular 87 in it, and the benefit for 93 is mostly over 4000RPM. Are people regularly using Premium gas with these turbos?

quote:

I have this trim in Silver and it’s been a great year with it. My only quibbles are that the tank is a bit small (not a huge issue as it’s a weekend/road trip car for me) and I wish it had ventilated seats. I’m not a huge car person but I find it great to drive. I certainly haven’t regretted going turbo over non turbo. Happy to answer any specific questions if you or anyone else has any.

Yeah, a 12-something gallon tank feels pretty small. My hatch had something like a 15 gallon tank, so I know I’ll be stopping more frequently. I drive a lot less these days but I still have to make trips once a month (along with other weekly tasks). I’m used to filling up at a quarter tank left.

quote:

I used cerakote wipes on the black plastic trim.

How has the piano black held up? It’s the one donwnside of the interior space I noticed when test driving. I’ve seen aftermarket replacements, but i have no clue about the quality. I was really impressed with the interior—coming from a cloth hatchback it was like I was transported into a luxury car that cost $10K more than this.

I noticed it doesn’t come with a cargo cover (like my Mazda 3 hatch does) but it can be bought separately. Is it worthwhile?

How about dashcams? I’ll be getting a new one for this car and leaving my current one (hardwired) with the old one. I’ve read about an adapter that can plug into the mirror circuit to provide power. Better to position them on the driver or passenger side?

Floor mats. Weathertech or other brands? I’m used to WT but I’ve heard about Tuxmats. I live in the northeast so it’s all four seasons here.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 8, 2022

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I'm in Canada, weathertech is king poo poo
Get roof rails, opens up more options for roof racks
Premium is required for towing (apparently, I don't have tow package)
Bitch is thirsty, i average 9.5l/100km doing mainly highway driving.
Piano black gets very easily scratched
Seat Warmers have 3 settings: warm, warmer and inferno
Ventilated seats good

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 8, 2022

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

kefkafloyd posted:

Floor mats. Weathertech or other brands? I’m used to WT but I’ve heard about Tuxmats. I live in the northeast so it’s all four seasons here.

Don't buy Weathertech because the CEO is a chud.

I've put 3D Maxpider all weather mats in our Model Y and my ND Miata-- at a minimum they haven't openly done chud things to my knowledge.

I bought the ND Miata mats from this online store, with a coupon I found after doing some googling:
https://www.autoanything.com/

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

MetaJew posted:

I've put 3D Maxpider all weather mats in our Model Y and my ND Miata-- at a minimum they haven't openly done chud things to my knowledge.

I bought the ND Miata mats from this online store, with a coupon I found after doing some googling:
https://www.autoanything.com/

3D Maxpider is new to me but I’ll look into them, thanks. Looks like they do a cargo tray too.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MetaJew posted:

Elaborate? Why can't I ever enjoy anything?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

kefkafloyd posted:

I noticed it doesn’t come with a cargo cover (like my Mazda 3 hatch does) but it can be bought separately. Is it worthwhile?

Seriously? Even the cheapest spec comes with one in most markets.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Charles posted:

Elaborate? Why can't I ever enjoy anything?

He donated a few million dollars to Trump over the years. On the other hand, allegedly he threatened to cut off donations to the GOP if they did not reinstate DACA or something. IDK.

Make your own decisions, but I am very happy with the fit/finish of the 3D Maxpider in our two cars.

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico

kefkafloyd posted:

I bought a 3 turbo in the same color, it's been a great car over the first 10,000 miles.

The only actual problems I've had are paint chips due to very fragile Soul Red and the decaying stretch of 101 I take to work, I found a detailer to touch up and put film on the hood. Gas tank is pretty small to make room for the rear diff. The interior is so quiet I've spent some time chasing the smallest rattle noises, but a few bits of foam fixed that.

There's a TSB for oil consumption on a run of VINs, but I've been getting changes at 5-6k miles and haven't noticed any.

PraxxisParadoX
Jan 24, 2004
bittah.com
Pillbug

kefkafloyd posted:

This is one thing I was going to ask. I know you can run regular 87 in it, and the benefit for 93 is mostly over 4000RPM. Are people regularly using Premium gas with these turbos?

Yeah, a 12-something gallon tank feels pretty small. My hatch had something like a 15 gallon tank, so I know I’ll be stopping more frequently. I drive a lot less these days but I still have to make trips once a month (along with other weekly tasks). I’m used to filling up at a quarter tank left.

How has the piano black held up? It’s the one donwnside of the interior space I noticed when test driving. I’ve seen aftermarket replacements, but i have no clue about the quality. I was really impressed with the interior—coming from a cloth hatchback it was like I was transported into a luxury car that cost $10K more than this.

How about dashcams? I’ll be getting a new one for this car and leaving my current one (hardwired) with the old one. I’ve read about an adapter that can plug into the mirror circuit to provide power. Better to position them on the driver or passenger side?

I have a VIOFO A119 V3 mounted on the passenger side in front of the rear view mirror. I've just run a cable up between the roof and windscreen, then shoved it inside the gap between the A pillar cover, down to the passenger side door, across the passenger footwell, then shoved into the gap to the right of the gear selector, into the glove compartment USB. I think people have figured out what to hard wire it to in the fuse box but I know the USB will turn off when the car is parked and thus not drain battery.

The piano black is... fine. You can get wraps for it but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

quote:

Seat Warmers have 3 settings: warm, warmer and inferno
Correct, I only ever have mine on warm because the other two are too hot. My wife likes to play a game where she leaves it on inferno for as long as she can. I think she made it an hour once, when it was very cold and dark out. Also I just found out that the remote start does not start the heater/seat warmer/steering wheel warmer by design, which is... what's the point.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

dissss posted:

Seriously? Even the cheapest spec comes with one in most markets.

$150 at Mazda dealers here in the states. I’m going to try to get it tossed in for free.

norton I posted:

The only actual problems I've had are paint chips due to very fragile Soul Red and the decaying stretch of 101 I take to work, I found a detailer to touch up and put film on the hood. Gas tank is pretty small to make room for the rear diff. The interior is so quiet I've spent some time chasing the smallest rattle noises, but a few bits of foam fixed that.

I really wanted to stick with a 3 Hatch and not get a CX-30, but the C-pillar really soured me on it. I also really don’t like the area where the console joins the dash on the 3—it comes up so high that my right knee didn’t sit well against it. The CX-30 didn’t do this (different seating position and it doesn’t have that triangular bit).

I’m also a bit shocked at the narrowness of the tires on both the CX-3 and the 3 hatch - 215, really? But then I looked up the MS3 and realized it only had 225.

When I drove both the Turbo 3 Hatch and the Turbo CX-30, they felt largely the same in terms of power/steering/trans. If there was an appreciable difference in tuning, I couldn’t feel it. The height/seating position of the 30 is noticeable, but I didn’t feel like I was giving anything up. Both cars would probably have similar troubles when being pushed without fatter tires / suspension changes.

Both cars have a coffin/cocoon feeling, and the 3 hatch is worse, unfortunately. The C/D pillar windows on the CX-30, as small as they are, make a huge difference. God help you if you want to rest your elbow on the window sill.

Neither are a replacement for an MS3, unfortunately, but when the alternatives are a GTI and a Veloster N that I'll never track, I'll stick to Mazda.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Main issues I have with my 2021 mazda3, maybe some of these are not turbo specific:

- if you leave it unlocked it will start screaming its head off about a low battery warning even if its hooked up to a trickle charger (software bug imo)
- if you leave the keyfob in the garage or nearby it will also throw battery warnings, I camp a lot and a small campsite with keys in tent will cause it
- going through a carwash is annoying because of the auto wipers, auto-brakehold, collision detection and radar features - needs a carwash mode button
- camping at astronomy dark sites is hard because if you unlock or open a door all your cars light turn on including the headlights (I realize this is pretty specific)
- gas milage sucks big time compared to the 2.0l 2015 naturally aspirated I had. I mean.. duh, but I went from less than 1 tank of gas driving VA to MI to needing 3
- the plastic on the center console is purpose built to get scratched and look bad
- auto dimming mirrors suck compared to manual. If you have some jacked up jeep blasting you with brights during the day it won't trigger. My mirror doesn't have buttons to turn off/on the dimming but I think some do.

Everything else is perfect, just a few details they could iron out. I somewhat miss just having a dumb car where you can leave unlocked and get in and out of it without creating a bunch of noise and lights, but vroom vroom so you know.

Also the feeling of being in a confined coffin is the best part of having a mazda3 I will never change my mind about that and would prefer it to be even tighter unironically.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

kefkafloyd posted:

The black plastic got dirty daily until I treated it, you really need to get an even coat on a pristine surface though, I left just a few imperfections only I would notice. That coat will wear down eventually supposed to last 2 years or something, but road salt seems to stick to it now.

I love the interior and do not have a cargo cover, I am interested in some sort of cargo net system for groceries though, if it has something like that.

This isn't the detail thread but I spent a few hundred on supplies for it, currently trying the hybrid solutions ceramic coat, shits cheap and YouTubers seem to think it's the most hydrophobic and lasts a long time for how cheap it is.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

I've got a 2018 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Reserve and the only thing that bothers me is how long the infotainment takes to boot up.

I didn't get the Signature because the camera resolution was so bad I thought I was going blind.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

- if you leave it unlocked it will start screaming its head off about a low battery warning even if its hooked up to a trickle charger (software bug imo)
- if you leave the keyfob in the garage or nearby it will also throw battery warnings, I camp a lot and a small campsite with keys in tent will cause it
On my 2021 cx-30 I took it back to the dealer and they showed me a report that said it was caused from when the doors were opened too often, and especially the back hatch, It puts the car in a "ready mode" for 20-30 minutes that can drain your battery.

I just started cleaning my car interior with the doors closed instead of opening everything at once.

It kinda sucks, I charged the battery to 100% with a high end charger and then cleaned my car (all doors open) and it read low. That's the one thing I dislike about my Mazda.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

https://twitter.com/seattletimes/status/1491253754288553984?t=b6FRGlgc7xshhzoPrrfTzA&s=19

Well, that's... fun to find out it can happen.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

I want to say there was an episode of Radiolab that talked about this happening several years ago, but I'm not sure if I'm mixing up podcasts:

https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/radiolab/articles/bit-flip

I think the story I remember had to do with the radio station broadcasting a particular character that screwed up the head unit. Anyone remember this?

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 9, 2022

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

It's crazy to me how often this happens.

Mazda software is, lets face it, pretty crap all around but basically the same thing has happened on iOS multiple times.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
All manufacturers have lovely programming

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

kefkafloyd posted:

IIRC the mirror adapter wiring was friendlier with the dash cam wired to the driver's side, but I also had to install the dash cam on the driver's side as my toll sticker was already on the passenger's side.

kefkafloyd posted:

I’m also a bit shocked at the narrowness of the tires on both the CX-3 and the 3 hatch - 215, really? But then I looked up the MS3 and realized it only had 225. suspension changes.

The tire choice on the turbos was definitely a cost-saving measure on Mazda's part. I've seen a lot of owners move up to 225s on stock rims when replacing tires.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Godzilla07 posted:

The tire choice on the turbos was definitely a cost-saving measure on Mazda's part. I've seen a lot of owners move up to 225s on stock rims when replacing tires.

I suspect they were aiming for a fuel efficiency number.

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico

Godzilla07 posted:

They’re also some very mid range all seasons, I noticed that Costco sells pilot sport 4s in that size for a reasonable price.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

MetaJew posted:

I want to say there was an episode of Radiolab that talked about this happening several years ago, but I'm not sure if I'm mixing up podcasts:

https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/radiolab/articles/bit-flip

I think the story I remember had to do with the radio station broadcasting a particular character that screwed up the head unit. Anyone remember this?

Uthor posted:

This is the second time I've heard of infotainment system fuckery in a 2016 Mazda.

https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/the-roman-mars-mazda-virus/

The % sign in 99% Invisible was causing the infotainment system to look for a url and breaking.

I'm guessing something in the text they sent over hosed up the system, but a reboot not fixing it is weird. I'd try pulling the battery.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Sounds like pulling the battery isn't going to fix it either.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Talk about owned, drat

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

They accidentally triggered modulo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Wait I think I’ve listened to 99% Invisible in my 2016 Mazda3 and my car isn’t broken