Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Peppers like heat under them when they're germinating. If you have the space, put them on the top of the refrigerator and check on them regularly; when they sprout, move them into light.

At least, if your refrigerator's warm on top, maybe they insulate them better nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Peppers like heat under them when they're germinating. If you have the space, put them on the top of the refrigerator and check on them regularly; when they sprout, move them into light.

At least, if your refrigerator's warm on top, maybe they insulate them better nowadays.

Thanks! I saw that hint before, but the top of our fridge isn't particularly warm. I've got a buckwheat heating pad that will warm it up for a couple hours. Will try that a bit until I eventually get annoyed and spend the 15 bucks on amazon for a proper one.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Lolll great tip thanks I have so much more seed space now

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Years ago I got an inkbird temperature controller and a reptile mat to set up a fermentation chamber and that kit has come in useful over and over for ferments, proofing bread and starting seeds. It works perfectly to make a small space stay warm within a couple of degrees. Right now I've got a ferment, a fungus and some seeds all incubating in harmony together in a foam cooler at 80 degrees.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I've never needed heat to germinate peppers, but I guess my basement is pretty warm as far as they go.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
Do I need to get a pickaxe to plant bare root trees I'm having delivered?

We have a few inches of snow today and I'm expect 8 fruit trees and a bunch of bush cuttings within a week or two.

Can I put them in pots in the un-insulated shed until the ground is workable?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The main thing is to get the roots into dirt quickly so that they don't lose too much moisture. I imagine just putting them in a well-watered pot for now is fine. A bucket full of water could work too for a day or two and may even be preferable for remoistening them before planting in the ground.

For digging holes in the heavy clay soil we have, I use the broad end of a mattock (either a pick mattock or axe mattock) to get the hole started and loosen things up, then use a spade to finish digging the hole out. Digging is a lot easier if it's recently rained so that the soil is a bit moist, but I've always heard it's not good to dig if it's currently raining.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Digging in wet clay leads to compaction and clods, and all the associated soil issues. For a tree, you're potentially surrounding its whole root ball with soil that's tough for roots to penetrate and for moisture to move through. You want your tree to live for decades, so what's the harm in waiting a few days to plant it, you know?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Jabronie posted:

Do I need to get a pickaxe to plant bare root trees I'm having delivered?

We have a few inches of snow today and I'm expect 8 fruit trees and a bunch of bush cuttings within a week or two.

Can I put them in pots in the un-insulated shed until the ground is workable?

I've kept bareroot trees in 15 gallon pots for years before planting them. If you keep them in pots for more than a few weeks, they will start to root out. You will want to be careful when you take them out of the pot to not damage their new delicate roots.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

First set of seeds going in the seed tray, fun time of year! Our Oregon winter fizzled out hard so its basically spring already...

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I'm still trying decide whether to grow my peppers from seed this year. Only issue is that my sunroom won't get a ton of light for a few more months, so i'd have to build a better light setup than i had last year for seedlings. I can get an enormous variety of good pepper seedlings from a local greenhouse (the owner is a pepper guy), but not until pretty late, which is bad in my climate.

Honestly though, I might just use Bonnies seedlings for my ghost peppers this year, and figure everything else out on an ad hoc basis. They're so consistent and grow really well if the conditions are right (and if rabbits don't eat the early growth), even if the home grown ghost varieties are more flavorful.

man, peppers are a lot

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

When I've done pepper starts I usually just go to a local farmer's market and get them that way - the convenience of a start and, often, the flavor of a more obscure seed.

Seed Savers Exchange, Pepper Joe, and I believe Territorial Seed also do good jobs of starting hardy plants from weird rear end seeds.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
I was a little leaf bag goblin last year and nabbed some habanero, red chilli seeds from a neighbor's bag.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
^Good luck with that. I hope they weren't growing other peppers too and you get a straight seed.

Slanderer posted:

I'm still trying decide whether to grow my peppers from seed this year. Only issue is that my sunroom won't get a ton of light for a few more months, so i'd have to build a better light setup than i had last year for seedlings. I can get an enormous variety of good pepper seedlings from a local greenhouse (the owner is a pepper guy), but not until pretty late, which is bad in my climate.

Honestly though, I might just use Bonnies seedlings for my ghost peppers this year, and figure everything else out on an ad hoc basis. They're so consistent and grow really well if the conditions are right (and if rabbits don't eat the early growth), even if the home grown ghost varieties are more flavorful.

man, peppers are a lot

The only issue with just buying the plant from Bonnie's is if you care about the specific strain of ghost pepper. They do a really poo poo job of being consistent with the naming, and they don't tell you if it's a hybrid or anything else. The exception being the formally named strains, but they still don't carry many. If that suits you, then absolutely buy the plants from a nursery/online if you don't want to put up with it. I've not see many places that sell starts of super hots that don't end up coming from Bonnie or one of the other big ops. Just don't gamble on getting the right plant from Pepper Joe, new management doesn't keep their seeds straight.

Building a light setup is pretty easy too, and if you only have a few starts then you could get away with one of those desk lamps with the springs in the arms and a grow bulb. Just turn the plants 90 degrees every day or two and you can fit 4 under it for a couple months until your sunroom is bright enough.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

sexy tiger boobs posted:

First set of seeds going in the seed tray, fun time of year! Our Oregon winter fizzled out hard so its basically spring already...

Two weeks in over here in 7a. Arise my yellow pepper minions!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I should say that I have about 15 red 7-pot seeds from last year that need a new home. DM me an address and I’ll drop them in the USPS for free. I just want them out of my seed cabinet before they won’t germinate. They’re nice and hot, but I won’t be growing them anymore. They just didn’t make the cut for the garden space I have. Doing mostly scorpion and ghost style for supers. Lots of Fatalii and my pair of Chinese strains in most of the space and a few tests on some new ones too.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Slanderer posted:

man, peppers are a lot

It's a long shot but if you (or any goon) happen live within driving distance to Muncie, IN you have to check out Northern Tropics. They grow a poo poo ton of superhot and regular pepper varieties each spring. It's a 3 hour trip for me and is absolutely worth it. https://www.facebook.com/northerntropics/

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The lady at the local seed store said that onion sets seem to be hard for them to get this year, so start some seeds.

Griz
May 21, 2001

anyone have any ideas what these might be? they're supposed to be padron peppers but I'm pretty sure they're not because all of them were very hot.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I've got my first few potted fruits and veggies set up. My neighborhood has approximately 10 squirrels per square foot and they seem to be as excited about my plants as I am. Should I be putting some kind of squirrel netting up to protect these things? What works well for other goons?

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

mischief posted:

When I've done pepper starts I usually just go to a local farmer's market and get them that way - the convenience of a start and, often, the flavor of a more obscure seed.

Seed Savers Exchange, Pepper Joe, and I believe Territorial Seed also do good jobs of starting hardy plants from weird rear end seeds.

Used to sell a lot of plants to people like you, we would start them in seed flats on a bench with heat trace stapled to the top of it. Transplant into normal cell packs when they're big enough and wouldn't need the heated bench anymore, the worst part was you went through tons of fuel oil or firewood to keep the greenhouse warm enough overnight. I'd probably be loosing my rear end trying to sell plants if I started back up.

Does anyone know what the last two years did to the price of greenhouse plastic? The price seems high but I haven't bought any in over a decade so I have no reference, I know I'm way overdue to change it out.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Cross-posting from the horticulture thread kinda - I recently installed a rain barrel and want to hook up an irrigation system. It's about 18 inches off the ground, so water pressure alone isn't going to get water where I want it when I want it. Does anyone use a rain barrel pump? Any recommendations that don't cost several hundred bucks, aren't loud as hell and can reliably stay outdoors without self-destructing? My rain barrel only has a small inlet and outlet hole (converted food-grade barrel) so a submersible is out of the question, if I am understanding this stuff correctly.

I really don't want to refill a 2gal watering can 20 times, 3-4 times a week, lol.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

skylined! posted:

Cross-posting from the horticulture thread kinda - I recently installed a rain barrel and want to hook up an irrigation system. It's about 18 inches off the ground, so water pressure alone isn't going to get water where I want it when I want it. Does anyone use a rain barrel pump? Any recommendations that don't cost several hundred bucks, aren't loud as hell and can reliably stay outdoors without self-destructing? My rain barrel only has a small inlet and outlet hole (converted food-grade barrel) so a submersible is out of the question, if I am understanding this stuff correctly.

I really don't want to refill a 2gal watering can 20 times, 3-4 times a week, lol.

You could easily use a submersible pump still, you’d just need to do some plumbing to make it work. Otherwise there are inline water pumps that you can connect on the outside of the tank like you would a hose. They’ll be about as cheap 20-30$ as the small submerged pumps, but in-line tend to start a little stronger g/h.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

skylined! posted:

I've never found a great solution. You can get an electric transfer pump for ~$60 that will do the job. Usually they're pretty weak, kind of loud and burn out quickly though. Especially if you're not careful about priming or letting it run dry.

I wind up just using my 50 gallon rain barrel 2 gallons at a time for my houseplants and then leave the garden irrigation system to the normal hose bib. But I'd also be curious if some ITT has had success with one.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jhet posted:

You could easily use a submersible pump still, you’d just need to do some plumbing to make it work. Otherwise there are inline water pumps that you can connect on the outside of the tank like you would a hose. They’ll be about as cheap 20-30$ as the small submerged pumps, but in-line tend to start a little stronger g/h.

https://www.amazon.com/bayite-BYT-7A015-Heater-Circulation-Adapter/dp/B01G305PK0

This is the sort of inline pump I'm talking about now that I can get you a link. Hot water heater circulator pumps. They work fine, but you'll have to put together an adapter for the valve you want to use. It'll prime when you open the valve and then turn on the pump. You can't leave it attached to the tank when you aren't using it unless it's in a weather proof box.

Pond pumps or other aquarium pumps would also work and are quiet too. Those you can leave unless it's going to freeze, but I'd still invest in a switch for by the tank. I have a few of the older models like this one. https://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-Submersible-Fountain-Aquarium-Hydroponics/dp/B07L54HB83

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Jhet posted:

https://www.amazon.com/bayite-BYT-7A015-Heater-Circulation-Adapter/dp/B01G305PK0

This is the sort of inline pump I'm talking about now that I can get you a link. Hot water heater circulator pumps. They work fine, but you'll have to put together an adapter for the valve you want to use. It'll prime when you open the valve and then turn on the pump. You can't leave it attached to the tank when you aren't using it unless it's in a weather proof box.

Pond pumps or other aquarium pumps would also work and are quiet too. Those you can leave unless it's going to freeze, but I'd still invest in a switch for by the tank. I have a few of the older models like this one. https://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-Submersible-Fountain-Aquarium-Hydroponics/dp/B07L54HB83

Cool. Thanks. So how does a submersible pump work, would I need to cut a hole big enough in the barrel to drop it in?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

skylined! posted:

Cool. Thanks. So how does a submersible pump work, would I need to cut a hole big enough in the barrel to drop it in?

You would. It would sit at the bottom of the rain barrel and it would need a hose connecting it to the place you’re getting the water out. Different sort of plumbing solution for it, so it’s up to preference. I’d go the in-line so I could move it from barrel to barrel, but if you only have one for filling your watering can then it wouldn’t make a big difference either way. Submersible ones have a limit listed for how high they can send the water vertically, but you can plumb around it if you want. I’ve used those for hydroponics and brewing solutions for circulation cooling water, and they work well enough if you can understand that limit for pumping water up.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Kind of an odd question but don't know anywhere else to ask this...

We're redoing our garden and deciding what plants to plant. We have a small dog. We're interested in planting inkberry (nkberry ilex glabra), but I've found some websites (https://www.pawsdogdaycare.com/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants/inkberry) say its toxic for dogs... but it turns out like every shrub and bush is toxic for dogs. Our dog doesn't eat dropped berries, but theres a world in which she accidentally ingest something -- is this a terrible idea? Does anyone have recommendations for non-toxic shrubs/bush type plants?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
A lot of things are toxic for dogs. This is normally only the case for worry if your dog is stupid enough to eat a bunch of it on purpose. I’ve grown hops with my dog in the yard and they’re terrible for dogs, but only if he eats them. What I’m saying is that most animals have a self-preservation instinct, and you can train them to just not eat the things. You’ll know what kind of dog yours is, and can teach any future dogs to not eat things that will make them sick.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

People with row gardens - what do you use between your rows? When I made mine I just kept the grass but it's getting annoying working the mower in there and I was thinking about replacing the grass with a few inches of mulch on top of some weed fabric. Any downsides to this? I want to be able to get a wheelbarrow or cart around easily and think other options like pavers or stone would make that more difficult.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I put cardboard between rows when I'm lazy about it, but tbh it works great. When I'm not lazy I spread out some bales of wheat straw as mulch.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Paper bags, wood chips, straw, cardboard, Kraft paper, sawdust, or burlap, variously, depending on what I have handy at a given time

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I'm trying a garden fabric row garden this year, I will report the results.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I keep meaning to pull some garden fabric on each row every year and never do. Suffer not the grass to grow though, I got my rear end kicked by crabgrass all through last year. I scraped about 1.5" or so of top soil and blasted it with high concentrate glyphosphate earlier today.

Mulch, cardboard, anything to keep the grass out makes a difference.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Thanks, I'll give it a shot and post pics. Despite my bad luck the last few times I tried it I'm starting seeds again this year and got some onions and peppers sprouted, I'm excited to get them outside next month and eventually in my rows. Went to a landscaping place to see about getting compost delivered and they said I'd have to wait at least a week cause it's still frozen lol.

Anyone in the market for grow lights I found this pack of six 4' long T8 60 Watt LED lights for $46 and on a dollar/watt ratio it's a stupid good deal compared to the other options. I hung up and tested some that I ordered earlier and they look to be working just fine so I ordered another for my grow shelf.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CXPPYWR/

I got a light meter and later on I'm gonna see how much illumination I get versus other lights I own to see how efficient they are

Dance McPants fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 7, 2022

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I've always read that landscape fabric becomes a bitch a few years in. Can be hard to remove and some weeds push through anyway and become unmeshed in the fabric.

I'd stick to cardboard, but I am a raised bed man who knows nothing.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Eventually they start growing on top of the fabric too. Previous owner put it all over in my yard, still have plenty of weeds and it's apain to try to plant with it around.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chad Sexington posted:

I've always read that landscape fabric becomes a bitch a few years in. Can be hard to remove and some weeds push through anyway and become unmeshed in the fabric.

I'd stick to cardboard, but I am a raised bed man who knows nothing.

I found some that was 3" down today, then some more 6" down. This is after I pulled a bunch of grass off the top. Cardboard is good, but doesn't work for beds unless you cover it. I'd only use landscape fabric if I was planting an annual bed and had to redo it every couple years. Cardboard with mulch on top, that's pretty good too.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Garden fabric works great for stuff like squash and pumpkins where you got one little hill with a plant and a lot of square feet of space that you want it to sprawl around without weeds to worry about. Aside from that it's more a pain in the rear end than it's worth IMO. When you're cutting little holes every 4-8" it's really annoying and hard/impossible to re-use. I still got a bunch so I'll probably use it for under landscaping like rocks or mulch and just let it take its time to decompose.

Just tested the grow lights I posted about and with my setup of 4 rows of lights spaced 6" apart the lux/FC are better at the same distance and wattage (~400 FC at 5" from 200-240 watts) than the other grow lights I own except for the superpowered weed one I bought by accident. Now to see how my plants like the light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I'm doing the technique a lot of the gardening channels on YouTube have started in the last couple years- you put overlapping layers of fabric over the entire garden and burn holes in it with a blow torch to plant though. At the end of the season you roll it all up and store it for reuse next year. It looks super clean, and as long as you roll it up you don't have to worry about it rotting into the ground or weeds growing through it.