Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah I do find that a bit funny but it kind of makes sense? The suits we use for some jobs only hold about half an hours worth of air in the portable tanks and they're still quite unwieldy tanks. The Snowpiercer suit has to not only hold that air but have a mechanism for warming it which I doubt is incredibly efficient.

Honestly the amount of work it must have been to turn the cruiseliner train into an ark in less than a decade kind lets me wallpaper over some of the issues like that. Nothing's going to run perfectly. It's juryrigged by a genius engineer but still juryrigged.

Considering that the train was never originally meant for long term sustainability, but as a fiefdom for Wilford to lord it over, it does make sense.
Apparently Wilford was able to put tracks down in North Korea, but you just have to roll with that as part of the concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah that's an angle to it as well. He was literally planning to party to death as long as possible.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I don't think they changed anything?

Ruth is now holed up in what used to be first class, which is completely frozen over now, and all the way in the "back" of the train, as far away from Big Alice and Wilford's place as it gets. So Big Alice is still where it was, which must be slightly awkward because to get anywhere in the Snowpiercer cars they have to go through what used to be the tail.

What I don't know if is the train is going forward now, that is Big Alice started pulling as soon as Snowpiercer went its own way, or they kept the entire thing in reverse for all that time. Which seems kinda dangerous because the engineer can't see as well what's ahead in that case.
Huh... you're right... they had to hit a noose line at some point in order to chase the pirates. That makes way more sense and gave the pirates a solid lead to stay ahead. Man, I feel like I'm a bad show watcher now!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I don't think this show is very good, but it's basically a spaceship show so I'm keeping with it. Also this episode was really good in a way I wasn't anticipating.

loving Ruth's internal monologue is like some fantasticly horrible English lit pastiche. "As rough as wetleather". Still astonished to have actors of Alison Wright's calibre in these roles. The show's greatest strength IMO -- Miss Audrey's villain turn is bad in a lot of ways, but it's worth it to watch Lena Hall vamp.

On the other hand, it also meant that we had the continuing adventures of LJ throughout season 2 just to give something for Analise Basso to do. Hoping this year she'll be better -- the first season portrayal of the character had a lot of Carmelita Spatts energy, and it'll be good if the show can lean back into that a bit more.

Sean Bean continues to be amazing. Glad the show resisted the urge to kill him last year, I really like how big the character is, and how Sean Bean pitches his performance so ferral. He's equal parts Northern Industrialist and Barbarian Conquerer, while the character as depicted draws from everything from fantasy images of excessive consumption (Willy Wonka) to Weimar horror (he's Frankenstein, his girlfriend dresses like a vampire).

Also goddamn you, you janky show, for killing Damien Young off-screen. The casting for both the Headwood was way overqualified given the size of their roles, but I was hoping the show would have the opportunity to broaden their roles.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Also goddamn you, you janky show, for killing Damien Young off-screen. The casting for both the Headwood was way overqualified given the size of their roles, but I was hoping the show would have the opportunity to broaden their roles.
Yeah, this made me extremely loving sad. I have to assume his schedule didn't fit because of Ozark but... dammit... they at least could have fridged him and not just been like "he got the flu, RIP."

There's plenty of space for the show to be better but when I consider how much awful television I've watched and where shows, as a whole, are going in terms of "how they entertain" I really actually do think Snowpiercer is a good television. The best perspective to take on it is that it is not trying to be prestige television and in doing so keeps itself grounded, silly, and episodic enough to tell a story in a single episode without the absolute need to binge a season to enjoy a story. Snowpiercer keeps the moment-to-moment story going without sitting on its hands or twiddling its thumbs. Prestige television nowadays turns Ruth's capture, the EMP's discovery and resolution, and LJ's wedding into 3 episodes but with Snowpiercer we get it all in one while also pushing forward the pirate train story and giving us some sweet Train v Train action.

Seriously, it's a good show! I'm definitely not just suffering from sunken cost fallacy!

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Sean Bean squeeze the balls

SpaceAceJase fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 2, 2022

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's a good show because you can tell everyone involved really gives a poo poo and is having a ton of fun with a silly concept. It's refreshing to see a show like this that isn't just aping Lost or some other prestige show but is definitely just doing its own thing, even with respects to the film.

I do think Sean Bean and Alison Wright carry a lot of it, though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
And Connolly when she was around

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Speaking of Melanie has there been any word if she's coming back or is she definitely a popsicle.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
No official word, but she's definitely coming back. They've been too coy about her return for it to be anything otherwise.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

No official word, but she's definitely coming back. They've been too coy about her return for it to be anything otherwise.
Yeah I was actually going to stomp my feet if the woman saved last week ended up being Melanie because that would've been too convenient. I am hopeful they bring Melanie back this season but I wouldn't be too surprised if they just leave it for the finale or the next season altogether. After all, this season's goal location is likely nowhere near where Melanie was left. Does anyone remember where on Earth they left Melanie? Do we know at all?

It is actually really strange that we knew Sean Bean would arrive on the show as Wilford before the first episode even aired, so any question in-show about his whereabouts didn't matter. If they're keeping Melanie's return this much of a secret... it's interesting that they're bothering this time around. Pushes me further into the "not until next season" camp. And again, I wish they just fridged Damien Young. :(

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I'm going to flip my coffee table if Jennifer Connelly comes back just for some mystical tree of life dream sequence.

The post a few above me is correct in saying this is a spaceship show now. The trains are on rails but they may as well not be.
I just had a chuckle when I remembered Wilfred's train coming at them from the side window in season 1.

The show is campy and lame but I like it

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I demand more homosexuality

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

The way she left the show it definitely didn't feel like it was permanent, especially how important a character she was. I initially assumed it was permanent so I thought it was shittily done

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
Not going to lie I did think when they saved the woman in North Korea she was going to be a tankie who would constantly sabotage the revolutionary efforts as it wasn't pure enough. Also call Layton a lib every ten minutes.
Still could happen.

thrashingteeth fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 4, 2022

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

thrashingteeth posted:

Not going to lie I did think when they saved the woman in North Korea she was going to be a tankie who would constantly sabotage the revolutionary efforts as it wasn't pure enough. Also call Layton a lib every ten minutes.
Still could happen.

Lol

Lmao

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

One of the show's strength is how speedy the narrative pace is - you don't have to wait long before the next plot point or character moment comes along.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Did I fist pump and shout "Yeah!" when LJ stabbed Kevin because I saw it coming a mile away? Yeah I did. Am I enormously distraught that Roche's wife is dead along with Strong Boy? Extremely.

Golly what a good episode that was. These last 3 episodes were 1 seasonal arc on any other show. I have no idea what's next and I love it. I really hope the Strong Boy speaking Mandarin thing is maybe gonna get explained with Roche leaving the drawer and the scientist under their control. They had Strong Boy speak Mandarin in this episode so it seems like they aren't completely destroying that plotline after all. Really anything explaining the drawers would be nice. With another 4 cars lost, the "cars long" number now changes again. I'm really looking forward to Ruth and Pike hooking up. Nothing like the two 2nd in commands from old opposing factions hooking up to keep things fun.

But seriously, between the cinematography, acting, music, writing, and pacing, this is a damned good show.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Feb 8, 2022

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Spoiler tag it if you must but who was that at the end? Or are we not meant to recognize them?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Spiteski posted:

Spoiler tag it if you must but who was that at the end? Or are we not meant to recognize them?
At the chess table? That's Asha. You may recognize her wearing the same thing she was wearing earlier in the episode.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The Admiral Cain arc is over.

The New Caprica arc shall now begin.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

The Admiral Cain arc is over.

The New Caprica arc shall now begin.

Oh god this is far too accurate.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'm actually wondering now if Layton's vision will be connected to the drawers? With the drawers already established as causing odd visions it would tie things together.

I loved the song choice with the LJ scene, though that might be because I just have a certain fondness for that tune.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

I absolutely love this show and this season so far was great. It's about a big goddamn train. It should be moving on rails, slowly and you know the destination. I love the creativity of the writing and the pace and that you absolutely don't know where it goes next.
To keep the BSG-analogies rolling i'd say i hope Layton's promised land doesn't turn out to be of the Starbuck-from-above category.

I also saw LJ turning coat coming from a mile away and i could nothing but LOL in front of my screen because she totally believes that puts her on the winner side now. Kevin should have a much more gruesome death though. Poor strongboi. Another fantastic thing this show does effortlessly is to make you remember all the little side characters.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
I watched the first episode of this when it first came to Netflix and didn't think much (but love the film and the one gnovel I've read). Picked it back up again a week or so ago and just finished the latest episode.

Love it, really enjoyed people's posts on it. Great show, so many good things to talk about. Acting, pace, character development and world building are all top notch.

I like the moral maturity/depth of the characters. Ppl complaining about Ruth, Osweiller or LJ's redemption arcs are forgetting what happened with the cannibal cult in the tail. People, even the goodest ones like Layton, are willing to do what they have to for peace. Everyone is guilty of horrors but you've got to keep moving forward, in the frozen cold, on a train 1034 cars long.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Wafflecop posted:

I watched the first episode of this when it first came to Netflix and didn't think much (but love the film and the one gnovel I've read). Picked it back up again a week or so ago and just finished the latest episode.

Love it, really enjoyed people's posts on it. Great show, so many good things to talk about. Acting, pace, character development and world building are all top notch.

I like the moral maturity/depth of the characters. Ppl complaining about Ruth, Osweiller or LJ's redemption arcs are forgetting what happened with the cannibal cult in the tail. People, even the goodest ones like Layton, are willing to do what they have to for peace. Everyone is guilty of horrors but you've got to keep moving forward, in the frozen cold, on a train 1034 cars long.

Well uh, Ruth, Osweiler and LJ weren't literally starving to death/trying to stop other people starving to death from eating other people. I don't have problem with redemption arcs and Osweiler's is decent but for some reason I can't stand Ruth's and LJ hasn't even redeemed anything, still being a manipulative selfish psycho (former serial killer!).

Honestly, right now this show is focusing on and repeating exactly the same things I did not like about Season 2, and if they BSG-gently caress this up I'm going to be so mad. Sean Bean still kills it but Layton's gone from maybe my favorite character in 1 to a wet noodle. I haven't even finished the latest episodes. While earlier I watched them as soon as possible.

Am I the only one who thought the quality severely dropped after Season 1? Because in my opinion Season 1 was near perfect while the first half of Season 2 was good and then the plotting/characterization started to take massive hits.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

S2 is good cuz it has Sean Bean.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

Am I the only one who thought the quality severely dropped after Season 1? Because in my opinion Season 1 was near perfect while the first half of Season 2 was good and then the plotting/characterization started to take massive hits.
As someone wholly positive on the show in spite of its various faults, I felt the show got better from 1 to 2 thanks to the introduction of Sean Bean and Rowan Blanchard, and the greater prominence of Steven Ogg. Wilford brought a delightful amount of upbeat insanity with his mad scientists and their experiments, which helped balance out the downbeat insanity of LJ and her boyfriends. Plus Season 2 didn't spin its wheels for 3+ episodes trying to be a crappy detective drama.

Edit: I just remembered the part where it actually did spin some wheels being a crappy detective drama... but at least it was more of a C-plot than anything else.

Season 3 is about equal to Season 2 for me at this point. The amount of begun-and-ended A/B/C plots in the first 3 episodes alone are like the opposite of what S1 had and things are moving swifter than S2, which is appreciated, but the loss of Jennifer Connelly (for now,) Strong Boy, Kevin, and Mr. Headwood, and my rather low interest in this weird mysticism angle sets the season firmly in "as good as" territory relative to S2. It's pretty easy for this to jump back up thanks to the re-introduction of Roche and the rather wild card of Asha but really all the show needs to do is keep up the pace without losing any steam to a lovely jealous Josie plot or an over-exposed Ruth romance plot. I trust the show at this point, again in spite of itself, to do the right thing and continue being entertaining.

I hope you enjoyed the train puns in this reply.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 9, 2022

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
Shout out to snowpiercer who made what many shows would do in a season into half an episode.
Love this show.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Man, I don’t think Layton needed to lie. These people got nothing else.

But goddamn I love this poo poo and I wonder how Asha is gonna gently caress things up. She’s insane. Also I hope we get a episode on how the gently caress she survived.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Yeah... the writing in of "Layton has to get Asha to lie about the final hot spot" does feel very "creating conflict for the sake of TV" but it is really supposed to be two other things: It's a reflection of Layton's current inability to trust his own judgement (this is explained in their little behind-the-season bit I accidentally watched too much of) and a reflection of the train's overall feelings on Wilford leadership. Layton just got back to the train and missed out on a few months of fascism. He can't be 100% sure that Wilford gave people what they wanted or that the people were mad at Layton for taking their eternal engine and the warmth that came with it. He wanted to go the extra mile to ensure that these unknowns were out of the question, so he had Asha lie.

It's another one of those things this show can do well sometimes. It'll just do a thing, it might seem weird, but if you decide to think about it, it's easy to explain and makes sense. Which is unlike many other shows where they'll just do a thing, it seems weird, and then when you think about it it makes even less sense. (I say this knowing full well this show has definitely done non-sensible things.)

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Man, I don’t think Layton needed to lie. These people got nothing else.

But goddamn I love this poo poo and I wonder how Asha is gonna gently caress things up. She’s insane. Also I hope we get a episode on how the gently caress she survived.

Yeah it was a weird lie, especially when he implied in the speech that the pirate train never made it to New Eden. He could have just said "we found a survivor, people can make it outside the train". I'm curious how she got to North Korea (!) and presumably there's a reason they made a mention of that rather than the more logical choice of South Korea.

Archie Panjabi was great in Blindspot, so I'm sure she'll be good in this. The main strength of the show is the casting.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
They're 100% setting us up for some sort of flashback episode with her, right?

I'd actually put decent money on it being the one that pays off the Melanie plotline too.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

C.H.U.D.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Once again the speed at which the plot moves surprises me. The episode was called "First blow", they could've easily had a whole episode of filler ending with Snowpiercer almost derailing.

RIP Strong Boy and Roche's wife, gently caress Kevin. Also gently caress LJ, hopefully Oz realizes she can't be trusted at all.

Even if Layton had to lie, the lie he chose was really bizarre. If she has an extended conversation with anyone it will show. THere were other ways to go with that plan.

I hope they don't go any deeper in the "mystical visions" stuff, but of course they have to at least TRY to explain why layton saw the tree. I'm a bit afraid of what they may do.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Just throwing it out there, but Layton's plan is straight up insanity, and it's astonishing that so many people in his inner circle have just unproblematically sided with the guy. At the very least it's going to cause a massive leadership spill when they turn up and Asha's stories aren't consistent with what they see there -- or, worse, and the place is already somehow populated.

Ruth and Pike are an absolute nonsense pairing -- she spent how many years cutting off his friend's arms? -- but their chemistry sells it.

Killing off so many characters to an off-screen flu seems really weird when they could just have had Wilfred purge them all. (Unless it's some sort of meta-joke about covid limiting actor availability?)

As for the episode... I always think the whole ghosts/hallucinations thing needs to be carefully handled, and I didn't think this was it. Also seems weird that they wouldn't have made more of an effort to recover some of those train cars, but I guess they've got other priorities right now.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

The new episode was weaker than what I'm used to for this show, so I decided to look into why. It's the 5th episode by its director and the 3rd by its cinematographer/director of photography. However, although they have a person doing the majority of cinematography, the only other director to be on board for as many episodes is only 7 episodes deep. In looking up this information, I also discovered that this series has like... 30 writers and 30 producers credited to it. It's absolutely crazy how passed around this thing is. It unfortunately leads to the weaker episodes like this one but perhaps it's the fuel providing as much forward plot traction as we're getting. Although it was a weak episode, it seems like a proper breather after how intense the previous ones have managed to get.

Anyway, the bad things about the episode are primarily the fact it was an episode of Dexter, giving Alex, Wilford, and Javi imaginary friends while the consistently-blurred, god-rayed cinematography was dumped onto the screen like a vat of vaseline I couldn't rub out of my eyes.
Also killed off-screen: Alex's old friend the last Australian, the other last Australian, and Mama Grande who I had to look up to remember that she was the old lady in the tail. It's a drat shame we're losing decent cast members to a flu... however the gently caress a flu managed to survive that long on the train.

Great things, though? Hey, it's Melanie! Nice to have Jennifer Connelly back, even if it does end up being just one episode this season. *cough*
It was cute how Alex essentially saw the matrix. It's pretty wild how Alex's inner-mom was so good at giving advice considering how little time they managed to spend together.
I also really like that Mrs. Headwood is now sorta like the log lady from Twin Peaks except now she carries her dead husband's shoes everywhere with her. Proper weird.
I'm definitely enjoying that Alex has an incredibly complicated relationship with Wilford. As usual, this show does a great job of blurring the lines of good and evil, keeping every character grounded in a grey reality.
And lastly, yay Pike and Ruth hooking up. Star-crossed lovers for sure. It is ... kinda hard to believe Pike telling Ruth that she should lead the train, though, considering Ruth was the one doling out many a dis-arming. However, it may be a great show of how powerful the act of giving herself up and allowed her own dis-arming was.

Episode weak but show still good.

As for the episode... I always think the whole ghosts/hallucinations thing needs to be carefully handled, and I didn't think this was it.
Yeah, agreed. Hopefully this just ends up being that episode and we're done with it for the rest of the series.

Also seems weird that they wouldn't have made more of an effort to recover some of those train cars, but I guess they've got other priorities right now.
They have plenty of cars. It's supplies they need and considering Wilford cut those 3 cars off as dead weight, they probably had nothing of worth, not to mention they'd been out in the cold for years now. Plus if you noticed how it's an intersecting track, we have no idea just how difficult it could be to get all the way around to that other track.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Feb 15, 2022

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Thoughts:

Steve Ogg seems to get a little typecast sometimes, so its nice to see him play a more complex character.
How did flu get into the train if its a closed ecosystem anyway?
Them deciding to have Asha lie, rather than just using her a symbol that humans have survived outside the train feels like its going to blow up in Layton's face. That tinderbox feeling is another thing the show excels at.
Wilford didn't put any cars in Big Alice that could grow food, but had to have a mad science lab.
In theory, with a geothermal power source, could a bunker survive in the freeze? Asha had to come out of that suit sometime. They mentioned that all the bunkers had failed in season 1, but you never know....

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 16, 2022

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

As for flu, I think it is possible for viruses to be dormant in someone's cells for many years, and then 'wake up' and mutate so that the host doesn't have immunity and neither does anyone else. I think this is more common for viruses that inject their DNA into a host cell's nucleus such as HIV (because DNA can stick around a long time) but perhaps it's possible for flu too.

OldMemes posted:

In theory, with a geothermal power source, could a bunker survive in the freeze?

Instead of directly answering that question I suggest you read the short story "A pail of air" by Fritz Leiber. You can read it for free here: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/51461/51461-h/51461-h.htm

It's fiction so it isn't much of a scientific answer but I always found that story some nice food for thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

OldMemes posted:

In theory, with a geothermal power source, could a bunker survive in the freeze? Asha had to come out of that suit sometime. They mentioned that all the bunkers had failed in season 1, but you never know....

I get a dumb kick out of thinking that, in this universe, Iceland is carrying on entirely as normal, not even really aware anything has changed.