Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Trying to fix a problem with HDR video that is probably either Windows related or VLC related. Not sure if this would be the best place to ask, but what the hell:

I have an issue where certain video files that were created with HDR in mind won't display colors properly. The video playback will basically look like a photo edited to have the color temperature turned all the way down. I did change the color range setting for my graphics card (2070 super) to full range in the control panel, and also set windows to enable HDR on the monitor that supports HDR, but that doesn't seem to have changed anything. Drivers are all up to date, and I even tried swapping in the Studio driver rather than the Game Ready one.This seems to be a pretty common problem without a surefire solution.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BabyRyoga posted:

Trying to fix a problem with HDR video that is probably either Windows related or VLC related.

Try a different media player? Personally I'm more than a little bit down on VLC these days -- it doesn't seem to be a super-active project anymore, and I've encountered bugs that stuck around for a long time. I still keep it around, but it wouldn't be my first choice for anything like HDR or anything else that's vaguely 'new'.

I vastly prefer MPC-HC, though note that to play HDR video you need to get this:

quote:

Play HDR video
This requires using madVR or MPC Video Renderer.
After installation these renderers can be selected here:
Options > Playback > Output

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

BabyRyoga posted:

Trying to fix a problem with HDR video that is probably either Windows related or VLC related. Not sure if this would be the best place to ask, but what the hell:

I had the same issue, updating VLC to the newest version fixed it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Since we're talking HDR, is there any utility that turns it on for specified executables and then turns it off after it's closed?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Slash posted:

I had the same issue, updating VLC to the newest version fixed it.

Klyith posted:

Try a different media player? Personally I'm more than a little bit down on VLC these days -- it doesn't seem to be a super-active project anymore, and I've encountered bugs that stuck around for a long time. I still keep it around, but it wouldn't be my first choice for anything like HDR or anything else that's vaguely 'new'.

I vastly prefer MPC-HC, though note that to play HDR video you need to get this:

Neither of these worked, unfortunately. I did some research, and it seems to be a problem with Dolby Vision specifically being janky and lacking support in general for Windows. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I might explore more options later, or just avoid HDR video files until support is rolled out.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

BabyRyoga posted:

Neither of these worked, unfortunately. I did some research, and it seems to be a problem with Dolby Vision specifically being janky and lacking support in general for Windows. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Dolby Vision is not supported outside of android, ios and tv's. The only way anything labeled as Dolby Vision plays on pc is if the file contains HDR10 fallback.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah I started down the rabbit hole of trying to fix an... HDR Linux ISO and it ain't pretty on the PC

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I can't check at the moment, but I think PotPlayer has some options for HDR to non-HDR ... interpolation? Not sure if that's the right term for that conversion.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Last Chance posted:

Yeah I started down the rabbit hole of trying to fix an... HDR Linux ISO and it ain't pretty on the PC

Use mpv

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm building a new PC and I guess I'll put Windows 11 on it. You guys know where I can buy a cheap CD key for Win 11 Pro? I can install from an USB, right? No funny business since Windows 10?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Housh posted:

I'm building a new PC and I guess I'll put Windows 11 on it. You guys know where I can buy a cheap CD key for Win 11 Pro? I can install from an USB, right? No funny business since Windows 10?

There's a thread on SA-Mart where you can buy a key

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Housh posted:

You don't have to do this to yourself, you can still get 10. Assuming you don't have one of the new CPUs that benefits from 11, if that's the case then yeah it's understandable.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

VelociBacon posted:

You don't have to do this to yourself, you can still get 10. Assuming you don't have one of the new CPUs that benefits from 11, if that's the case then yeah it's understandable.
Yeah I'm gonna keep my 6700k on Win 10 but I got a 12700k with ddr5 and all that bullshit to play games so I figure I'll have to deal with whatever nightmare is Win 11 to benefit from the hardware.

Medullah posted:

There's a thread on SA-Mart where you can buy a key

Thanks! Found it.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

11 is mostly fine. The worst part about it is how you can't move the task bar, and that's solvable with third party tools. Besides that, it works well enough, and I can't say I've been tempted to wipe and replace with 10.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Computer viking posted:

you can't move the task bar

Lol what? Do they offer a rationale for removing this incredibly basic ability? Personally I've never wanted it anywhere but the bottom, but bow howdy if I were used to it being somewhere else for literal decades and then suddenly "haha nope"...

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Lol what? Do they offer a rationale for removing this incredibly basic ability? Personally I've never wanted it anywhere but the bottom, but bow howdy if I were used to it being somewhere else for literal decades and then suddenly "haha nope"...

90% rule, generally. The telemetry they collected for 10 probably showed that 10% or fewer users gave a gently caress about taskbar position.

And turning off the telemetry means MS doesn't know you were one of them that does.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if turned out some fluent design bigwig had the idea for the center start menu, didn't like the "aesthetics" of how that would look with the taskbar to the side or top and then ordered the taskbar to be unmovable.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What do you guys recommend as a KVM solution (hardware or software) for two windows computers? I will be gaming on one and dunno if software KVM introduces latency.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Lol what? Do they offer a rationale for removing this incredibly basic ability?
They did't remove. The taskbar and start menu are new and a leftover from failed Windows 10x. They bolted it on top of Windows 10 so that oems had something "new" to sell.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Housh posted:

What do you guys recommend as a KVM solution (hardware or software) for two windows computers? I will be gaming on one and dunno if software KVM introduces latency.

I'm a big fan of Mouse Without Borders. Latency is mostly a function of your network. I have two computers on ethernet and don't notice any lag. I do notice a very slight lag when both are on wireless.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've got one like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...arch-mainSearch

If you just need USB, it's doing its job perfectly fine and i don't notice any latency. Network wasn't an option sinc I alsoe it with my work computer which is sometimes on vpn.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I'd connect the peripherals to the gaming machine just to be safe re: latency, but Mouse Without Borders is pretty solid, especially for free. My home office setup involves multiple computers, and they're all connected to a USB switch to share a keyboard and mouse, but most of the time I use MWB to move between machines, not the switch.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Both PCs will be wired into the same switch. The only thing I'm not sure about the software connection is: will the computer without the KB+M plugged in still boot up after power failure? It's a Win 10 machine, I dunno if computers still require a keyboard plugged in to start.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
It should boot just fine without a keyboard and mouse. MWB works on the login screen too.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Sweet. Mouse Without Borders it is. Thanks!

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Housh posted:

Both PCs will be wired into the same switch.

What I meant is, if you opt for Mouse Without Borders rather than a physical device, the keyboard and mouse will be plugged into one of the computers, so if you want to minimize input latency during games, plug them into the gaming machine.

I can't recall playing any full-screen games on a computer running MWB, so I'm not sure how it behaves in that scenario, but you may want to disable the Easy Mouse feature (i.e. the setting that lets you move the cursor off the edge of one computer's display and onto the edge of its neighbor).

Heads-up on a couple other quirks, just so they don't catch you off-guard. First, connecting to a VPN can sometimes interrupt MWB's connections, as can UAC prompts. The default hotkey to reconnect MWB is CTRL+ALT+R. Annoyingly, it seems to reconnect faster/more reliably if you trigger the reconnection on the remote machine; no big deal if you've also got a physical switch, but I imagine it'll get old fast without one.

Second, MWB doesn't seem to be aware of touchpad gesture customizations on the host machine. For example, I've got three-finger tap set to act as middle-click/button 3, but on other machines it opens Start Menu search or whatever the default behavior is. You can kinda fix it by futzing with the touchpad settings on the target machine, but even then, the responsiveness and accuracy was markedly worse than on the local machine.

Third, when you switch away from a machine (whether by moving off the edge of its display or by using a toggle hotkey), the cursor jumps to the center-top of the desktop. Not usually a huge deal, but annoying if you've got an app that cares about the cursor being at the top edge of the screen.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Medullah posted:

What are people using for password management? With the amount of various launchers and such I'd like something that adds a right click context that I can paste usernames and passwords with, not just browser level.

Bitwarden. It's free, open-source, secure by design and even has 2FA support built in if that's your thing.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Are there any current password managers without 2FA (TOTP) support?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Toast Museum posted:

What I meant is, if you opt for Mouse Without Borders rather than a physical device, the keyboard and mouse will be plugged into one of the computers, so if you want to minimize input latency during games, plug them into the gaming machine.

I can't recall playing any full-screen games on a computer running MWB, so I'm not sure how it behaves in that scenario, but you may want to disable the Easy Mouse feature (i.e. the setting that lets you move the cursor off the edge of one computer's display and onto the edge of its neighbor).

Heads-up on a couple other quirks, just so they don't catch you off-guard. First, connecting to a VPN can sometimes interrupt MWB's connections, as can UAC prompts. The default hotkey to reconnect MWB is CTRL+ALT+R. Annoyingly, it seems to reconnect faster/more reliably if you trigger the reconnection on the remote machine; no big deal if you've also got a physical switch, but I imagine it'll get old fast without one.

Second, MWB doesn't seem to be aware of touchpad gesture customizations on the host machine. For example, I've got three-finger tap set to act as middle-click/button 3, but on other machines it opens Start Menu search or whatever the default behavior is. You can kinda fix it by futzing with the touchpad settings on the target machine, but even then, the responsiveness and accuracy was markedly worse than on the local machine.

Third, when you switch away from a machine (whether by moving off the edge of its display or by using a toggle hotkey), the cursor jumps to the center-top of the desktop. Not usually a huge deal, but annoying if you've got an app that cares about the cursor being at the top edge of the screen.
Hmm...for my case scenario a physical switch might be best. There will be rare instances I need to use both machines at once and I will be using VPN for the most part to the non-gaming computer. Maybe hardware will keep it simple. I mean I'll most likely have to switch my second monitor input to the other computer anyway when I want to use it locally so what's another button push?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Fame Douglas posted:

As in supports storing a OTP secret with accounts and generating codes for login? Keepass desktop client needs a plugin to do so. The Keepass2Android client has it built in.

However, getting the OTP secret is "exercise left to user" and somewhat annoying with sites that only want to show you a QR code. Means that I also have a 2FA client installed on my phone that is willing to export (which Google Authenticator won't).

As a general note to anyone reading, storing your 2FA/OTP secrets inside your password manager is a reduction in security. If anyone breaks the password manager you don't really have that "2" in 2FA anymore. Both things are right there. I have OTP secrets in my Keepass database, but for videogames and other bullshit. Anything that's important I keep the password and the 2FA apart. And that's with me using Keepass, which is not an online service.

If I used Bitwarden, 1Password, or any other online cloud password manager that an adversary could log into via password theft or a security breach on the service's part, I'd think even harder.

(OTOH most of my financial services still use SMS 2FA only. Fun to think about how my Steam account is more secure than my bank account!)

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

putting TOTP in your password manager seems like too many eggs in one basket imho

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Fame Douglas posted:

Firefox and iCloud don't have it.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Housh posted:

Hmm...for my case scenario a physical switch might be best. There will be rare instances I need to use both machines at once and I will be using VPN for the most part to the non-gaming computer. Maybe hardware will keep it simple. I mean I'll most likely have to switch my second monitor input to the other computer anyway when I want to use it locally so what's another button push?

Ah, I missed that the monitor is also shared. In that case, yeah, I'd lean toward a hardware switch.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Yeah I don’t use that feature for that reason.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Housh posted:

Is there a reason you can't simply rdp/AnyDesk/Crome Remote desktop into the non gaming pc?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

MikusR posted:

Is there a reason you can't simply rdp/AnyDesk/Crome Remote desktop into the non gaming pc?
I use RealVNC to manage it for the most part but since the PC will be physically beside my new one and I have two monitors, it would be nice to quickly switch into it with less latency when I need to janitor my plex server etc.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Is there a good "checklist" or something for re-installing Win10? I've been running into page fault errors a lot recently, and after months of troubleshooting and getting nowhere fast, I'm at the point where that is my last option. It's just that it's been years since I've last had to do anything OS related, and I'm pretty sure I'll forget something kinda important if I don't have a list to refer to.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The only one that I regularly forget is the microsoft account login. If you log in during install it sets your Users directory to the first five letters of your email address and it's a giant pain to change later. So if that matters to you, create a local account on install and sign into your MS account once everything is done.

Other than that check off all the telemetry boxes when it asks about it and let it do its thing.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Here's a quick one, can I change the audio devices displayed with the sound icon in the bottom right without disabling the device? I have an Oculus that I use for one program and that program is set to use it as the default so I don't feel like seeing OCULUS as an option when switching audio back and forth between my other devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Apologies if this is the wrong place for a Powerpoint question. Is there a way to get a Powerpoint text box to do a pipe separated list with wrapping, rather than a bulleted list with each item on a new line? Specifically I'm trying to get a Wikipedia category list on a slide, so at worst I can just take a screenshot, but I'd rather do it using a textbox for ease of styling.

(It's for a trivia thing; "This TV show is in the categories 'TV about cancer', 'TV set in New Mexico', 'TV about the illegal drug trade', and 'TV created by Vince Gilligan', among others. What TV show am I referring to?" Breaking Bad Repeat for 11 more slides and shows.)