Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Relocating out of state is loving miserable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

spwrozek posted:

My first house my REA got me a home warranty as a gift. The fridge compressor died and I paid $70 for the visit and they replaced the compressor. All in all good for me but doubt I would ever buy one on my own.

I've had two different REAs tell me they add a home warranty to every offer (I think it was $500ish) and usually neither party objects because if you're the seller, who cares, you're not paying for it and if you're the buyer, what's $500 more on a $600,000 house and you're already gonna be paying a shitload of fees up front for stuff, and it ends up making both parties "feel" like they're getting something, protection from a buyer who finds something wrong immediately after close or the belief that if something got missed during the inspection you're covered.

What I got out of that was home warranty companies probably give kickbacks to real estate agents for shotgunning the warranty on every offer they make because it's "only" $500 and it's probably pure profit because they never get used 99 times out of 100.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Not a Children posted:

re: home warranties, purely anecdotal but my parents had one for years that they didn't use until one major incident. One day they discovered their dishwasher was leaking. Called someone in, they pulled it back and saw the entire subfloor had been getting soaked and resoaked with every wash - mold city.

The warranty covered full remediation of the subfloor, which required ripping out the kitchen to the studs.

They got a new $30k kitchen out of it, all told. I'm sure that isn't the typical outcome, but it can work out.
Would you be able to get more details? As another poster said, this is........ A lot different than every home warranty I've ever seen. I really can't imagine the details are right, but if so, this might be a company worth checking out for a lot of folks.

I've never really read anything good about home warranties. My realtor was pushing them hard because our new place has an old water heater, and she kept pointing out the warranty cost less than the water heater which might fail in the first year. I pointed out if the wh lasted even a day over a year that would no longer be true. The fine print and exclusions on both the policies she sent for us to look over was ridiculous.

I was taught a long time ago that the only time you pay for a warranty or insurance is on things that would financially break you to have to cover on your own - A car accident, house fire, medical, etc. On everything else, statistically you'll end up spending less if you don't get a warranty/insurance, and if you end up the statistical oddball who would have been better off with the warranty, oh well, you can afford to deal with not having it. Bad luck, life moves on.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We did an open house of this terrible thing: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/163-Shore-Rd-Clinton-CT-06413/57843835_zpid

I don’t know which is worse, the eighties decor, the terrible dark stained glass or the bidet and shower in the master bedroom (no, not master bathroom.)

It’s listed as built in 1980 but some of the details seem very wrong for that year like the fireplace and the main floor bathroom.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

smackfu posted:

We did an open house of this terrible thing: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/163-Shore-Rd-Clinton-CT-06413/57843835_zpid

I don’t know which is worse, the eighties decor, the terrible dark stained glass or the bidet and shower in the master bedroom (no, not master bathroom.)

It’s listed as built in 1980 but some of the details seem very wrong for that year like the fireplace and the main floor bathroom.

oh hey, you're looking just a bit west of where we're planning on buying (Waterford, east lyme).

How's the market up there? We're in Northern Virginia where it's absolutely insane (no appraisals, inspections, buying above list price, etc).

From looking at places over the past month, most seem to be pending pretty quickly, but there's a few that stay on for a few days at least or are likely listed too high. I've actually come across a few with price reductions too, though not sure if that's the sign of a slowing market or someone was just feeling ambitious.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

smackfu posted:

That house is definitely haunted.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Tremors posted:

That house is definitely haunted.

I was waiting for the shot of the room with three ornate beds with the names Stretch, Stinky and Fatso carved into them.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

smackfu posted:

Think you meant to put this in the crappy construction thread. That third floor cantilevered deck quite frankly terrifies me.

Someone has been trying to sell this monstrosity since at least 2012 for nearly double the price. It is also part of a HOA so I'm guessing you can't just knock the thing down and build something less stupid there.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Inner Light posted:

I am highly skeptical of this, are you sure your parents didn’t also make a homeowners claim? Home warranties usually specifically do not cover flooring in any way, or anything structural, which would include subfloor. I have reviewed several companies offering one for reasons and all specifically excluded flooring. It would however cover repair/replacement of the dishwasher (hopefully).

Slugworth posted:

Would you be able to get more details? As another poster said, this is........ A lot different than every home warranty I've ever seen. I really can't imagine the details are right, but if so, this might be a company worth checking out for a lot of folks.

I've never really read anything good about home warranties. My realtor was pushing them hard because our new place has an old water heater, and she kept pointing out the warranty cost less than the water heater which might fail in the first year. I pointed out if the wh lasted even a day over a year that would no longer be true. The fine print and exclusions on both the policies she sent for us to look over was ridiculous.

I was taught a long time ago that the only time you pay for a warranty or insurance is on things that would financially break you to have to cover on your own - A car accident, house fire, medical, etc. On everything else, statistically you'll end up spending less if you don't get a warranty/insurance, and if you end up the statistical oddball who would have been better off with the warranty, oh well, you can afford to deal with not having it. Bad luck, life moves on.

I inquired and you're absolutely correct, I misunderstood how it went down. The home warranty covered replacement of the dishwasher only. It was the homeowner's insurance that covered the kitchen replacement, under the auspice that it was an undetectable condition until the dishwasher was removed. Will add a note to my original post.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I’m the no windows on the front of the house

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

smackfu posted:

That house was absolutely not built in 1980. More like 1930. It was obviously extensively remodeled which in some markets ends up with a bullshit "build date". That fireplace/chimney is just SCREAMING 1980s coke fueled party house.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
That house has a personality crisis. It's a Victorian house that someone thought could use an 80s Miami coke house makeover. It's definitely haunted but by Tony Montana.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's probably livable but it's a teardown for me. I wouldn't buy that with someone else's money. That top half circle deck looks awful. So many really awful choices and they spent a lot of money to make it that way.

A great example of just because someone has money doesn't mean they have taste.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Motronic posted:

That fireplace/chimney is just SCREAMING 1980s coke fueled party house.

If you look up the property records, and then find the obit of the guy that used to own it, you'll see exactly how well you hit that nail on the head....

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Oh look, you can see the other side of the balcony in the interior shots and it's not supported there, either.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Sorry 80 Miami vice is peak American culture, you may not like it, but is a steep constant decline from that peak.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Oh god, we didn’t go up to that top balcony, I don’t even understand what is holding all that up. Is the spiral staircase the only structure? Is it hung off the roof somehow??? Ahh

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looks like 2x12, or maybe even uh, 3*18? wooden beams? Is that a thing? If they were steel I'd expect them to be I beams. Cantilevered into space, secured by 100 year old rotting victorian marine exposed timber

:hmmyes:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

SlapActionJackson posted:

Oh look, you can see the other side of the balcony in the interior shots and it's not supported there, either.

Sirotan posted:

That third floor cantilevered deck quite frankly terrifies me.

What do you guys think balconies are? Or structural engineering is?

Hadlock posted:

Looks like 2x12, or maybe even uh, 3*18? wooden beams? Is that a thing? If they were steel I'd expect them to be I beams. Cantilevered into space, secured by 100 year old rotting victorian marine exposed timber

No one uses I-beams as they are a pain in the rear end for construction. (Wide flanges though...very useful and look like an I)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/04/realestate/home-buying-regret.html

quote:

Celeste Mohan and Zach Flynn, who impulsively bought a farmhouse in Florida, said maintaining five acres and two cows was more than they could handle.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

That balcony may well be perfectly fine but the decisions made in that house do not fill me with confidence.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sirotan posted:

That balcony may well be perfectly fine but the decisions made in that house do not fill me with confidence.

It just hit me, the main artrium reminds me of a custom Quake 1 deathmatch map I used to play. That olive-beige octagonal fireplace that extends throughout the main atrium really ties it all together

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Hadlock posted:

It just hit me, the main artrium reminds me of a custom Quake 1 deathmatch map I used to play. That olive-beige octagonal fireplace that extends throughout the main atrium really ties it all together

It's capped off by the wide angle lens that mimics jacking up your FOV to 110 on a 4:3 monitor.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

this article is insane on every level, holy gently caress

the person who bought the $1.4 million dollar home and realized with a mortgage she can't quit her job

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Upgrade posted:

the person who bought the $1.4 million dollar home and realized with a mortgage she can't quit her job

I wonder if it’s clicked for her that she can’t afford to lose her job. It’s not just up to her whether she’s employed by Amazon.

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?
According to the article, only 21% thought they overpaid. These are the worst possible buying conditions for first time home buyers, so maybe only 21% of those participating in the poll were FTHB? It's not quite as bad if you already owned a rapidly appreciating home, but it still seems insane.

Also, things you don't learn on Instagram: “You see these people on Instagram with their farm life,” Ms. Mohan said. “Nobody tells you what actual hard work that is and how time consuming it is.”

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Magicaljesus posted:

Also, things you don't learn on Instagram: “You see these people on Instagram with their farm life,” Ms. Mohan said. “Nobody tells you what actual hard work that is and how time consuming it is.”

This was my favorite.

Wait, you mean I should have actually asked someone with a farm first? I can't trust my favorite insta farm people?

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong

Magicaljesus posted:

Cows don't take care of themselves???

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
In fairness, there are some (very stupid) articles out there that claim that before the modern job people had so much more time to themselves because :shrug:

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

It's not even a farm. It's literally just two cows.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Like, cows aren't even that hard to take care of!

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

^^^ Some of my husband's family lives in that town in Florida and I have NO IDEA why someone who liked living in Boca would want to move there.

Magicaljesus posted:

According to the article, only 21% thought they overpaid. These are the worst possible buying conditions for first time home buyers, so maybe only 21% of those participating in the poll were FTHB? It's not quite as bad if you already owned a rapidly appreciating home, but it still seems insane.

That's one of the statistics I wanted to have more of a deep dive into. We were first time home buyers last year and if someone asked if we thought we overpaid, I'd say maybe but we don't regret it and we made a calculated choice on how much we could afford and what we valued.

Involuntary Sparkle fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 9, 2022

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Farming at anything less than a giant mega corporate scale is about working your rear end off for 9 months out of the year so you can spend the other three fixing stuff that broke and wasn’t mission critical and worrying about if it will rain and snow enough but not too much this year so that if bugs or fire don’t get your crops you might make enough to make the payment on your credit line and still break even.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

533 pages of disclosures why did i embark on this foolish endeavor

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

That's one of the statistics I wanted to have more of a deep dive into. We were first time home buyers last year and if someone asked if we thought we overpaid, I'd say maybe but we don't regret it and we made a calculated choice on how much we could afford and what we valued.
Under contract on my first place right now, and yeah, we’re paying a lot but a lot of it is basically a conscious calculation to exchange extra money to just make sure we finally put an end to the housing search and don’t get out- bid on a place that checks almost all of our particular boxes. Maybe call it “overpaid” but so far it feels worth it and no regrets.

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong

Upgrade posted:

Like, cows aren't even that hard to take care of!

ABM: Always Be Milkin'

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

therobit posted:

Farming at anything less than a giant mega corporate scale is about working your rear end off for 9 months out of the year so you can spend the other three fixing stuff that broke and wasn’t mission critical and worrying about if it will rain and snow enough but not too much this year so that if bugs or fire don’t get your crops you might make enough to make the payment on your credit line and still break even.

I mean....no.

But that is certainly a scenario on the in between someone having a hobby farm (which has more than two cows....a lot more) and mega commercial production.

It is not difficult to take care of two loving cows. These are just city people who have no idea about anything.

The real question is not if it's hard to take care of a couple of cows.....it's whether it's worth it. And that answer is a very resounding "NO" unless this is just the kind of thing you want to do.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fourwood posted:

Under contract on my first place right now, and yeah, we’re paying a lot but a lot of it is basically a conscious calculation to exchange extra money to just make sure we finally put an end to the housing search and don’t get out- bid on a place that checks almost all of our particular boxes. Maybe call it “overpaid” but so far it feels worth it and no regrets.

I hope you get what you want, and I hope you continue to feel good about that. But as someone who is saying this right now you aren't really in a position to say how you'll feel after the fact.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I don't know if it came up in this thread, but a lot of these homesteaders are straight up white supremacists. They're just preppers fancied up to appeal to women and ideologically no different from Nazi agrarianism.

It really makes looking up scratch recipes and hand crafts on YouTube a little extra spicy

E: I felt we overpaid for our house, and I still feel that way, despite it appraising for $7k more than we paid for it and appraising last year for $15k more than we paid when we sold it.

Just because you can't get a house without overpaying doesn't mean you didn't overpay. It's also a terrifying, white-knuckled experience to be a first time buyer, and acknowledging that you've paid too much feels like letting go of the wheel.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 9, 2022

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
We closed on our first house in August and I feel like we probably over paid. According to the appraisal we overpaid by ~5%. But at the same time I am happy we are here, we can afford the mortgage. I am enjoying being a home owner, dreaming up ways to make our house better then spending all my time learning how to DIY things on the weekends. Still early but so far no regrets. Thankful to be out of the house hunting rat race and no longer worrying about never being able to afford a house while the market seems to keep going up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I thought we made out like bandits selling our house this spring for 100k over asking.

Zillow (yeah yeah) says it's worth 100k over that.