Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

yeah, super mystifying what changed around 2007 that had anything to do with methane

…oh, says here methane is often referred to as ‘natural gas,’ I wonder,

thanks obama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Iron Crowned posted:

We definitely hosed those Neanderthals to extinction.

lol funny story about that. my brother and sister and I alway used to joke that we were hella neanderthal - brother had 6 wisdom teeth - big boned, stocky, but healthy and muscular.

so years later we all take one of those DNA tests - (We all figured we were the mailmans kid, turned out one of us was right) anyway it was like "you have a poo poo ton of Neanderthal genes!

so uh yeah. you know. >.>

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Minera posted:

all that methane, escaping into the atmosphere, unburned... so much lost profit... *single tear rolling down cheek*

All those methane

Lost

Into the atmosphere

Like tears

In piss

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

all the fracking rigs just blast methane into the air all day every day, there has never been any attempt to regulate that lmao

random google link:

quote:

According to a recent U.N. study, cutting human-caused methane by 45% this decade would prevent 0.3 degrees Celsius in global warming by the 2040s. But in Colorado, which is home to significant oil and gas resources, such a change of course is nowhere in sight.

Earlier this summer, Colorado’s two Democratic Senators, John Hickenlooper and Michael Bennet, voted in favor of prohibiting the executive branch of the federal government from issuing a ban on hydraulic fracking. Bennet also supported another GOP amendment to prohibit federal methane regulations on livestock farming.

At the state level, Gov. Polis continues to issue new oil and gas permits, and his administration has yet to implement key components of a 2019 bill that redefined the mission of the state’s Colorado Oil and Gas Conservation Commission. The state remains far off track from meeting its stated climate goals.

“Our state has so far fully abdicated its responsibility to limit the production of fossil fuels essentially in any way,” said Duncan Gilchrist, a climate policy analyst for 350 Colorado. “Our state continues with a status quo business as usual approach to permitting new oil and gas wells that continue to spew methane into the atmosphere at a time when we need to be doing the exact opposite.”

While the vast majority of Coloradans support action to address climate change, citizen efforts to limit fracking, oil, and gas have largely fallen short. One 2018 ballot measure, Proposition 112, would have required new oil and gas developments to be at least 2,500 feet from designated vulnerable areas. Following a deluge of spending by the oil and gas industry, voters rejected the measure.

“Oil and gas outspent the coalition that was behind Proposition 112 by 50 to one,” said Gilchrist. “It’s easy to see why it failed.”

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Iron Crowned posted:

I've never seen it, does the big giant head just spout the N-word as it drops guns?

no spoilers

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
you call it methane

i call it...the life molecule

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Pryor on Fire posted:

all the fracking rigs just blast methane into the air all day every day, there has never been any attempt to regulate that lmao

random google link:

quote:

While the vast majority of Coloradans support action to address climate change, citizen efforts to limit fracking, oil, and gas have largely fallen short. One 2018 ballot measure, Proposition 112, would have required new oil and gas developments to be at least 2,500 feet from designated vulnerable areas. Following a deluge of spending by the oil and gas industry, voters rejected the measure.

lmao that this is what is offered as a solution. move it 2500 feet further.

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

All necessities, provided. All anxieties, tranquilized. All boredom, amused.

kyojin posted:

All those methane

Lost

Into the atmosphere

Like farts

In shits

slightly fixed

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
https://twitter.com/NWSLosAngeles/status/1490815516881010690?s=20&t=ugaD_XAlXv0OgcMXUuiruQ

You know, just normal February weather. Also barely any rain last month and probably the same this one too, these are supposed to be the wettest months of the year.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Lost Time posted:

slightly fixed

skooma512 posted:

https://twitter.com/NWSLosAngeles/status/1490815516881010690?s=20&t=ugaD_XAlXv0OgcMXUuiruQ

You know, just normal February weather. Also barely any rain last month and probably the same this one too, these are supposed to be the wettest months of the year.

Time to fry

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

skooma512 posted:

what the gently caress

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Palm trees are candles in the murder wind

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lol no wonder that first ecoshock ep somebody posted about itt was on methane

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

skooma512 posted:

It sure looks like it takes a while to power up an arkstorm but I'm sure we'll get the rain. Eventually. All at once.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Wintertime heat stress is a possibility

Wintertime heat stress is a possibility

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
So like... When summer rolls around and the mother of all heat waves hits and persists until everyone running ac full tilt for weeks burns out the electric grid...

What am I talking about this is crazy doomer poo poo right? This probably won't happen this year

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost

The Protagonist posted:

So like... When summer rolls around and the mother of all heat waves hits and persists until everyone running ac full tilt for weeks burns out the electric grid...

What am I talking about this is crazy doomer poo poo right? This probably won't happen this year

The night passed. Only the very brightest stars were visible, blurs swimming overhead. A moonless night. Satellites passing overhead, east to west, west to east, even once north to south. People were watching, they knew what was happening. They knew but they didn’t act. Couldn’t act. Didn’t act. Nothing to do, nothing to say. Many years passed for Frank that night. When the sky lightened, at first to a gray that looked like clouds, but then was revealed to be only a clear and empty sky, he stirred. His fingertips were all pruney. He had been poached, slow-boiled, he was a cooked thing. It was hard to raise his head even an inch. Possibly he would drown here. The thought caused him to exert himself. He dug his elbows in, raised himself up. His limbs were like cooked spaghetti draping his bones, but his bones moved of their own accord. He sat up. The air was still hotter than the water. He watched sunlight strike the tops of the trees on the other side of the lake; it looked like they were bursting into flame. Balancing his head carefully on his spine, he surveyed the scene. Everyone was dead.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

The Protagonist posted:

Oh sweet war flashbacks of the city pool during a summer blackout I didn't even know I had.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Perry Mason Jar has issued a correction as of 01:58 on Feb 9, 2022

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

rabble rabble posted:

The night passed. Only the very brightest stars were visible, blurs swimming overhead. A moonless night. Satellites passing overhead, east to west, west to east, even once north to south. People were watching, they knew what was happening. They knew but they didn’t act. Couldn’t act. Didn’t act. Nothing to do, nothing to say. Many years passed for Frank that night. When the sky lightened, at first to a gray that looked like clouds, but then was revealed to be only a clear and empty sky, he stirred. His fingertips were all pruney. He had been poached, slow-boiled, he was a cooked thing. It was hard to raise his head even an inch. Possibly he would drown here. The thought caused him to exert himself. He dug his elbows in, raised himself up. His limbs were like cooked spaghetti draping his bones, but his bones moved of their own accord. He sat up. The air was still hotter than the water. He watched sunlight strike the tops of the trees on the other side of the lake; it looked like they were bursting into flame. Balancing his head carefully on his spine, he surveyed the scene. Everyone was dead.

"One of BARACK OBAMA'S favorite books"

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
God will sort all of this out. Climates change all the time. God wouldn't let anything bad happen to us.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

he loves it when people write about his success

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
say it with me now
https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1491211529475309571

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
West coast summer is gonna be brutal with the total disappearance of winter rain huh

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

i was reading the excerpt and thinking that it was really familiar, and i realized i'd heard the author read that section of the book on NPR lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

BUSH 2112 posted:

i was reading the excerpt and thinking that it was really familiar, and i realized i'd heard the author read that section of the book on NPR lol

i read the plot synopsis and his victorious solutions to climate change were an international carbon credit and technological advances. the main character goes to international banks to explain how their bottom line will be affected and they go along with the plan

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

i say swears online posted:

i read the plot synopsis and his victorious solutions to climate change were an international carbon credit and technological advances. the main character goes to international banks to explain how their bottom line will be affected and they go along with the plan

Yeah, i found it kind of fell apart towards the end with all these depressingly implausible good things happening. But it starts real strong. It has one scene where a factory fishing trawler manned by slaves is boarded by eco terrorists. They rescue the slaves and scuttle the ship.

quote:

You’re killing them? we asked the sailor nearest us.

He said, They’ve got life rafts, right?

We don’t know, we said. Inflatables, you mean?

Yeah.

I guess so.

So, they’ll either get those inflated and over the side or they won’t. If they don’t, they’ll get what’s coming to them. We’ll post film of it on sites that other fishermen will see. If they get off in a life raft, they can try to make it to land. If they manage that, they can tell the story of what happened to whoever will listen. Either way, the point will be made.

So that meant these people were probably not police. That was not a good thing, but it wasn’t as if we could choose who saved us.

What’s the point? we asked.

No more fishing.

Good, we said.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Everest is gonna be a big rock in 30 years lol

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

i say swears online posted:

i read the plot synopsis and his victorious solutions to climate change were an international carbon credit and technological advances

he went on chapo to talk about it and he said the book was an exercise in trying to lay out a possible solution - any solution. definitely only a partially successful effort.

it's pretty obvious where the exercise took him when ecoterrorism (shown to only be effective when it's doing things like knocking planes out of the sky or freeing slaves) suddenly disappeared as a major factor halfway through the book and he was like "well maybe a new religion, and central banks... and china... maybe... but everyone who matters will be targeted for assassination by capital and only survive with luck and state backing."

i doubt he's interested in or really capable of writing an extended down-in-the-weeds description of the multidecade guerilla war he hints at. he just needed to give a few examples and show one would be necessary to make existing world systems seek a new equilibrium. most of the actual violence seems to happen semi-off-screen in his books while he focuses on the social/economic/political systems that might arise to enable postwar stability (as tenuous as that last bit was this time around).

KSR is pretty radicalized i think, but self-defines his job as an SF writer as imagining optimistic, plausible outcomes and there aren't a lot of ways to do that here. i think he probably sees ending capitalism as a key part of a real solution but thinks it's even less likely than carboncrypto creating a net-negative economy. which is probably true, lol.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 12 days!)

silicone thrills posted:

lol funny story about that. my brother and sister and I alway used to joke that we were hella neanderthal - brother had 6 wisdom teeth - big boned, stocky, but healthy and muscular.

so years later we all take one of those DNA tests - (We all figured we were the mailmans kid, turned out one of us was right) anyway it was like "you have a poo poo ton of Neanderthal genes!

so uh yeah. you know. >.>
lol

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

T-Paine posted:

Expect the narrative to really quickly switch from "we need to do what little token gestures we can to avoid the worst of locked-in climate change" to "well it's here, suck it up, we might as well take advantage of it while we still can because if we don't China or Russia will"

this is how it will go

you can already see it, not among the governments and corporations, but with people who are pretty clued-up on what's coming. "gonna go see the reefs/forests/glaciers before they're gone!" "better do that round-the-world trip before air travel becomes too expensive again!" "gotta get to this remote spot and appreciate the remoteness before it's overrun with people!"

for those who are able to grab the treats now, while they're still there, it's just human nature, for all but the most ascetic.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Spime Wrangler posted:

he went on chapo to talk about it and he said the book was an exercise in trying to lay out a possible solution - any solution. definitely only a partially successful effort.

it's pretty obvious where the exercise took him when ecoterrorism (shown to only be effective when it's doing things like knocking planes out of the sky or freeing slaves) suddenly disappeared as a major factor halfway through the book and he was like "well maybe a new religion, and central banks... and china... maybe... but everyone who matters will be targeted for assassination by capital and only survive with luck and state backing."

i doubt he's interested in or really capable of writing an extended down-in-the-weeds description of the multidecade guerilla war he hints at. he just needed to give a few examples and show one would be necessary to make existing world systems seek a new equilibrium. most of the actual violence seems to happen semi-off-screen in his books while he focuses on the social/economic/political systems that might arise to enable postwar stability (as tenuous as that last bit was this time around).

KSR is pretty radicalized i think, but self-defines his job as an SF writer as imagining optimistic, plausible outcomes and there aren't a lot of ways to do that here. i think he probably sees ending capitalism as a key part of a real solution but thinks it's even less likely than carboncrypto creating a net-negative economy. which is probably true, lol.

It's always the same arc in a KSR book. Mars trilogy was the same: Starts off with the first book being a gritty in-the-weeds account of a colony rebelling against colonial powers in the space age, ends up in the third with utopian Mondragon-knockoff economics theory wanking and some dude running ultramarathons around Mars.

Earth being graphically turbofucked by climate disasters is the other constant in all his writing.

I really thought he'd broken out of this cycle when I read the first half of MFTF, but nope, the solution is just Bitcoin. :cripes:

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

more like your momdragon deez nuts

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

honestly i was a little surprised with how receptive matt "we've already decided the answer is genocide" christman was to KSR's "hope and community above all things" perspective when they had the interview/he reviewed the book. feels like his recent project of tracing the interplay of american religion and capitalism is rooted in that discussion and i'm interested to see if he eventually synthesizes something cool.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Spime Wrangler posted:

honestly i was a little surprised with how receptive matt "we've already decided the answer is genocide" christman was to KSR's "hope and community above all things" perspective when they had the interview/he reviewed the book. feels like his recent project of tracing the interplay of american religion and capitalism is rooted in that discussion and i'm interested to see if he eventually synthesizes something cool.

matt started getting his balls drained which means he's now an optimist. empty sack = happy matt

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Are you saying he had a wank?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Are you saying he had a wank?

remarried

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
You know, I am somewhat amazed that the "we're going extinct" thread lives in the subforum for managerial-socialist optimism of the will types

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Car Hater posted:

You know, I am somewhat amazed that the "we're going extinct" thread lives in the subforum for managerial-socialist optimism of the will types

?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

i'm really looking forward to summer 2022