Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

He may freak out in the bathroom, haven’t tried as it’s real small. We typically throw a blanket over the dog gate but after a minute he’ll start screaming. It’s a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Yeah stress and distraction are pretty solid orgasm killers for most people. If you're worried about your dog, and about coming too soon, and any other crap, it will be harder to come.

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

eSporks posted:

I'm very curious about poly relationships and I'm wondering if anyone could point to some good books. I'm particularly interested in books that go into advice on handling the emotional aspect and boundaries in the relationship. I'd like to have a bit of a roadmap and some tools before understanding if its right for me.

On top of the other recommendations, you might want to try The Polyamory Toolkit: A Guidebook for Polyamorous Relationships by Dan and Dawn Williams.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Thanks for the book recs goons.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

The other thing is that I have an apartment that is basically a large studio (no doors besides the bathroom), and I have a very needy and annoying dog.

Finally, I have my chance to revive "GET IN THE JAIL"

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I bought my partner a wireless Magic Wand and :bubblewoop: this thing is loving awesome. Not only as a vibrator, but as a muscle massager :getin:

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009
Having recently had HSV-1 show up on bloodwork, should I even bother hoping for anyone to want to kiss or hookup after I inform them of it? I feel like a leper or something.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Is it purely a bloodwork thing? Quoth John Hopkins: "Herpes infections are very common. Fifty to 80 percent of American adults have oral herpes (HSV-1)". Don't be making out with people while you have active cold sores though.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If you're from the US, about 50% of the population has HSV-1.

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009
I was exposed sometime since last March (prior blood test), and I've never had a cold sore before, but finding out about asymptomatic shed made me super concerned.

Lucca Blight fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 28, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm not a doctor, but if you're asymptomatic and not in contact with immune-compromised individuals, I'm not sure I understand the worry.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Asymptomatic transmission is a thing, and understandably, some people without herpes don't want to get it.

Lucca, since either type can occur in either place, do you know where yours is located? If it's oral, you can just be like "hey have you ever gotten a cold sore?" and most people won't think that's a big deal at all.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Just anecdotally, my girlfriend gets cold sores and I have never had one that I can recall. We avoid her putting her mouth on me whenever she has cold sores or can feel it in her lips, and we've been going a couple years now without me developing symptoms (I've also been STI tested in that time, but I don't actually know if they'd tell me if there was HSV-1 in there? I mean I have to hope so anyway).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
They don't as part of a normal STI panel, you would have to request a herpes blood test specifically

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

They don't as part of a normal STI panel, you would have to request a herpes blood test specifically

And the reason for this is it's so common and not really an STI (since you can get it from lots of stuff). I would say many, if not most, people don't think about it or care past the stigma of being an "STI" so definitely feel free to disclose but don't feel like a leper.

Edit: Or maybe do because leprosy is easily curable and not a big deal at all :eng101:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 28, 2022

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

Asymptomatic transmission is a thing, and understandably, some people without herpes don't want to get it.

Lucca, since either type can occur in either place, do you know where yours is located? If it's oral, you can just be like "hey have you ever gotten a cold sore?" and most people won't think that's a big deal at all.

I've yet to have a breakout upstairs or downstairs :iiam:
Thanks for the replies guys, I feel a bit more comfortable with openly putting myself out there.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

KillHour posted:

Edit: Or maybe do because leprosy is easily curable and not a big deal at all :eng101:

6-12 months of a multi drug regime isn't exactly easy!

Now the Black Death... that's a 2 week course of antibiotics. I've had the same for a chest infection.

blerich
Oct 14, 2021
Is there any point to condom sizes?

For most of my adult life, I've used the condoms that I get for free from my health insurance provider. They're a great fit and have a decent amount of lube, but they're not super thin.
Now I've ordered some different thin and ultra thin Durex variants. Where I'm located, Durex basically has a monopoly in drug stores. It's durex or store brands as far as condoms go.
The durex condoms advertise 'nominal sizes' of 54, 56 and 52mm. I've tried on the ones sized 54 and 56, but they're just incredibly tight and impossible to roll down far enough.
Looking at the details for my insurance provider's condoms, apparently those are 54mm as well, but they fit like a glove. Apparently this is the default size, as they don't even give any options. It's just 54*180 and everyone gets a box of 50 a year.

Is there something about extra thin or ultra thin condoms that makes them fit differently? I don't think that should be the case.

I guess I'll just have to hunt down my insurance provider's condom wholesaler and see if they also offer thinner condoms.

It's not even that I don't like the normal thickness condoms, I just want to try out thinner ones if I can find some that fit.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Insurance provider condoms??

Skyn is thin and comes in a large. You could also look into MyOne condoms (in the US) or TheyFit condoms (in the UK) for wider options.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Does anyone have a problem where the condom droops off the penis like a pair of wet JNCO jeans? This is for PIV style sex btw.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Definitely worth getting correctly sized condoms. I hated the loving things for years, but getting ones that actually fit absolutely made them less of a catastrophic boner-killer.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Yeah I've definitely known people with girthier-than-average penises for whom the "standard" size was way too tight.

But probably 80% or more of penises will fit fine in regular-sized condoms.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Durex makes an XXL which is the most comfortable I've ever worn

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Oh oops, woo, I dropped my monster condom that I use for my magnum dong.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Condom fit is actually very important. I'm a trans femme and was never a top so when I started doing that I found out very quickly how important it is. A regular condom is painful for me, and anything smaller than a 60mm nominal width will absolutely wear and likely break during sex.

Conversely overestimating your size is also dangerous. This isn't about dick sizes, it's about safety and you should absolutely take it seriously. The poo poo where condoms fit over an arm is dumb because the moment friction is introduced it is toast.

Be safe and protect yourself AND your partner. Get your proper fit and don't be embarrassed either way. Be glad you're getting laid and being safe than whining about some number.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Unless you live in the US and the FDA says condoms must be a certain size range that only a fraction of people actually fit in properly.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
if you’re American and were allowed to keep all of your dong, and you find condoms uncomfortable, a good rule of thumb is to size up

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

KillHour posted:

Unless you live in the US and the FDA says condoms must be a certain size range that only a fraction of people actually fit in properly.

I just looked into this and what the absolute gently caress is going on over there.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

KillHour posted:

That's old news, MyOne has been approved in the US since 2016, with a range of 45-64mm in width

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

if you’re American and were allowed to keep all of your dong, and you find condoms uncomfortable, a good rule of thumb is to size up

There are Americans without a chunk of their dong missing?

Anne Whateley posted:

That's old news, MyOne has been approved in the US since 2016, with a range of 45-64mm in width

Good to know.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

Oh thank gently caress. I was worrying about y'all.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KillHour posted:

There are Americans without a chunk of their dong missing?

most of them, in fact. Also it’s a key part of multiple world religions, because humans are loving insane

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

most of them, in fact. Also it’s a key part of multiple world religions, because humans are loving insane

At first I didn't realize you misread my post and was very confused. I was making a joke that literally all Americans are circumcised.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KillHour posted:

At first I didn't realize you misread my post and was very confused. I was making a joke that literally all Americans are circumcised.

but not literally all of them are tho

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Somewhere between 76 to 92 percent are. And sometimes there is no choice, say due to births defects.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Somewhere between 76 to 92 percent are. And sometimes there is no choice, say due to births defects.

that’s not “literally all” of them tho.

Also this is not about debating the merits of or differences between medical/corrective procedures vs aesthetic/cultural/etc practices.

I have less than zero interest in derailing this thread with that particular topic

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

Jokes aren't normally literally true

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KillHour posted:

Jokes aren't normally literally true

jokes are normally phrased better

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Speaking of condoms, people who use them should also remember to use dental dams and maybe gloves for different kinds of play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Speaking of condoms, people who use them should also remember to use dental dams and maybe gloves for different kinds of play.

or all three and you can mix your shared love of the Chernobyl miniseries into experience a la roleplay