Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Maybe Total Mayhem or Syndicate Wars, then? No red armor in those but they are isometric top-down shooters with multiple guys.

Total Mayhem! I really botched the cover, but it looks familiar anyways. I think it was Total Mania in Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Just remembered a Win9x game that I think was just a really dolled-up Chinese Checkers with an edutainment sort of presentation, animated characters who tell you bits of historical trivia about the game, and different backdrops and opponents you play against depending on the difficulty level you select. There may have been other board games included, and it might not even be Chinese Checkers I'm thinking of, but something in a similar vein. Can't for the life of me put any kind of a name to it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Just remembered a Win9x game that I think was just a really dolled-up Chinese Checkers with an edutainment sort of presentation, animated characters who tell you bits of historical trivia about the game, and different backdrops and opponents you play against depending on the difficulty level you select. There may have been other board games included, and it might not even be Chinese Checkers I'm thinking of, but something in a similar vein. Can't for the life of me put any kind of a name to it.

is it Strategy Games of the World distributed by Edmark?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

CYBEReris posted:

Pretty sure one of these was my introduction to mancala, so thanks for the trip down memory lane!

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

This is going to be a long shot, but does anyone remember the name of the game that reviewed and sold like poo poo because the developers got too clever with hiding their puzzles, and most of the audience didn't even know they'd missed half the content? All I can remember was that it was an indie game, and the developer's previous title was reasonably successful.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Full Metal Furies?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

EightDeer posted:

This is going to be a long shot, but does anyone remember the name of the game that reviewed and sold like poo poo because the developers got too clever with hiding their puzzles, and most of the audience didn't even know they'd missed half the content? All I can remember was that it was an indie game, and the developer's previous title was reasonably successful.
This one didn't take TOO long for folks to figure out though:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/536890/Glittermitten_Grove/

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

The Joe Man posted:

This one didn't take TOO long for folks to figure out though:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/536890/Glittermitten_Grove/
Not that one, it's...
That's the one I was thinking of. Thank you.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

yeah, glittermitten grove was known as frog fractions 2 from the jump so a lot of people were looking for stuff. probably more people who knew that played it when it was new than random people who had no context.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

CYBEReris posted:

Oh my God thank you. I've recently discovered the magic of 86box and getting all this Win9x era stuff running again has been an absolute blast. I guess I was thinking of Go-Moku from this, although Mancala is the one I actually remember playing incessantly and getting pretty good at, so once again I'm impressed with people's ability to interpret these surprisingly inaccurate memories.

edit: ...I may have been conflating two board game collections in my head. This is definitely the "difficulty levels change the setting and you learn the history of the game" part and it's fantastic to see it again, but I swear there was also something different and more Chinese Checkers-y. I think it had a vaguely three-quarters view of the board, and something about being really satisfying to place the pieces. Honestly at this point my memory might just be making things up, but if anyone has any shots in the dark I'm open to them.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 13, 2022

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

There was a game that I definately remembered playing as a shareware title in the late 90s. It was a space exploration game where you started off as a basic shuttle and you'd run missions of hauling cargo between planets. You could upgrade your basic starter ship, and the best ship looked sort of like a Klingon Bird of Prey.

There was a escape velocity/inner space field where you battled other space craft. You could hail them. I remember there being a boatload of asteroids in every field.

There was an overarching storyline and I remember one part was based around having to pay enough money to be let into a brothel which would continue the storyline. I remember there was a lot of disclaimers about how it had been developed by a one man team. The company was something like nightlight games or flash light games.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Zombie Squared posted:

space exploration game

There are quite a few this could be. If it had a rather "native windows 3.11 GUI" look, Warpath (or Gazillionaire, but I think you would've mentioned weird insectoid ships rather than Klingon ones). If it looked more like a game, Escape Velocity or one of its sequels (Escape Velocity Override and Escape Velocity Nova), maybe. The first two were only on Mac, but Nova was on Windows. The company name doesn't really match though.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

If it looked more like a game, Escape Velocity or one of its sequels (Escape Velocity Override and Escape Velocity Nova), maybe.
Given that they mentioned it in the description it's probably not EV :v:

I'm guessing Ares:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s44qu5zgXE

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

FFT posted:

Given that they mentioned it in the description it's probably not EV :v:

I'm guessing Ares:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s44qu5zgXE

It definitely had more of an MS paint style to the sprites for the ships. Like Castle of the Winds, if that helps. I remember you could outfit your spaceship with lasers and torpedos. Whenever you'd go to a planet all of the shipyards and shops and stuff would be presented in a 2d format where they were all lined up next to each other and you'd click on which one to enter. It was definitely for windows 95, not mac.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Zombie Squared posted:

It definitely had more of an MS paint style to the sprites for the ships.

That still sounds a lot like Warpath to me, but now you've given me some brain worms because I'm beginning to remember a lot of the things you said too and I'm not sure if they're fake memories or if I actually played the dang thing too, or if I'm mixing it up with, I dunno, Mordor or something. But most of the games with that look I can think of are 4X space games (like Space Empires or Stars!), less focused on a single ship or anything like that. I would suggest Strange Adventures in Infinite Space but that game was far too pretty to be what you describe, and probably a few years too late.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Zombie Squared posted:

It definitely had more of an MS paint style to the sprites for the ships. Like Castle of the Winds, if that helps. I remember you could outfit your spaceship with lasers and torpedos. Whenever you'd go to a planet all of the shipyards and shops and stuff would be presented in a 2d format where they were all lined up next to each other and you'd click on which one to enter. It was definitely for windows 95, not mac.

I concur, that's deffo warpath. It went free twenty years ago, go get it.

http://www.synthetic-reality.com/warpath.htm

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I played the shareware version of Warpath a lot, but there are several details in both of Zombie Squared posts that make me say it's not that game. They're describing gameplay details that does not fit an arcadey game like that.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Feb 20, 2022

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

It's probably not Solar Winds, but is it Solar Winds?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlunMKzrcr8

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I've suddenly got the urge to try pinning down the identity of a game from the DOS PC my family owned when I was a kid. Unfortunately, for this one I only solidly remember the details of a single image: a realistic-ish racing game (or at least driving game, I don't think I could've understood 'driving but not racing game' at that age), with a level that was at night on a fairly sparse, probably country road, that I remember being fairly chill. The camera was either first-person or Outrun-style behind a car, I'm not sure. I'm fairly confident there were trucks on the road, but that may be me transplanting in memories of Toad's Turnpike from Mario 64.

Every other game I can remember on that PC was 1990-1993 and shareware (Crystal Caves, Commander Keen, Doom, Wacky Wheels), so it stands to reason that this one probably was too, but I don't remember any shareware messages.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

"Night on a country road" makes me think of Street Rod, does this look familiar at all?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

In case it is Street Rod, the current copyright owners did a freeware release with a bunch of new cars added a few years back.

https://www.streetrodonline.com/

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Nostalgamus posted:

"Night on a country road" makes me think of Street Rod, does this look familiar at all?

It is not Street Rod, no, and I'm fairly certain the game didn't have a view of the inside of the car itself. My brain says that the game was roughly 16-bit-esque--which I know isn't exactly right to say about old PC games, but gives the right idea of graphical fidelity.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Test Drive II or III?

The Interloper
Jan 11, 2010

- dig that bunky feat -
Salad Prong
Could it have been Crazy Cars 3 aka Lamborghini: American Challenge? It was around that time (1992) and the course in the demo version somewhat resembles your description. Also literally was a 16-bit game due to being an Amiga port.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Also not Test Drive. Again, pretty sure there wasn't a view of the inside of the car.

Mostly I remember the angle being roughly Outrun-esque, which I'm saying in part because when I tried to search for this myself there were a lot of overhead racing games, and that was definitely wrong. It sounds reasonable that it was third-person looking at the back of your vehicle, but I also don't remember what that vehicle might've been or if there even was one.

EDIT: Crazy Cars 3 is definitely checking a lot of the boxes; I can't say for sure if that's right, but if not it's really close.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Feb 20, 2022

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
I have this vague memory of a game hat I think takes place in the apocalypse (maybe zombies), I think you play as a girl and one of the first things you have to do is go to a scrap dealer/mechanic's place. You have to help him with some batteries maybe to get what you want. I think your character wants to fix a watch?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Lysandus posted:

I have this vague memory of a game hat I think takes place in the apocalypse (maybe zombies), I think you play as a girl and one of the first things you have to do is go to a scrap dealer/mechanic's place. You have to help him with some batteries maybe to get what you want. I think your character wants to fix a watch?

Is it Syberia?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mystic Mongol posted:

I concur, that's deffo warpath. It went free twenty years ago, go get it.

http://www.synthetic-reality.com/warpath.htm

Warpath owns bones and I played an unreasonable amount of it in high school, but it's also definitely not what they're describing, since it doesn't have:
- any sort of storyline at all, let alone one featuring a brothel
- separate fields for exploration and combat
- ship upgrades that change the appearance of your ship (you could select a ship appearance at the start, but it was purely cosmetic, and in-game upgrades didn't change how your ship looked)

I never played Warpath'97 or Warpath: 21st Century but they look like they're also MP-focused with no storyline. It's also definitely not Star Control 2, and I'm pretty sure it's not Starflight 1 or 2.

They've already ruled out the Escape Velocity trilogy, or that would have been my first guess; you start in a shuttle in all three, IIRC, and at least one of them has a powerful bird-of-prey looking ship as one of the most powerful ships you can get, EVN's Polaris Scarab. I don't remember any of them having a brothel but it's not like I played all the storylines in them, either.

Endless Sky is too recent.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010

Chinook posted:

Is it Syberia?

No, pretty sure it wasn't an adventure game. Maybe action adventure rpg?

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

It's not Septerra Core is it?

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010

Pulsarcat posted:

It's not Septerra Core is it?

No, never played that.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Lysandus posted:

Could it be RAGE?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

aniviron posted:

Could it be RAGE?

RAGE doesn't have zombies, or a watch. Also IIRC you're not a girl.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Uhh Fallout 2 kind of starts like that (post apocalyptic, gotta hunt down a mechanics guy to fix a piece of tech) and you can pick a female PC. No zombies but you might be remembering the ghouls. Maybe too on the nose for a guess but just throwing it out there

Otherwise we might need more details, like around what year did you play this/how old do you think the game itself is?

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
I feel like it was a newer game in the last couple years. I know it's not a lot of details but its turned into one of those things in my head that wont go away until I remember it.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I remember seeing footage of some open world game without a map where you like....shot arrows to move around in a neat fashion? Or some kind of strange travel system. It was by an indie developer I believe.

Edit: this is a modern game, not like a ten year old thing

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

External Organs posted:

I remember seeing footage of some open world game without a map where you like....shot arrows to move around in a neat fashion? Or some kind of strange travel system. It was by an indie developer I believe.

Edit: this is a modern game, not like a ten year old thing

Are you thinking of The Pathless?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Zathril posted:

Are you thinking of The Pathless?

Yes! That's totally it. Thanks!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

A SNES game, I think. The description makes it sound a bit like Dungeon Keeper, but it doesn't appear on any lists of "games similar to DK".

You're an evil lord, and your castle is under attack by a bunch of different races. You place various monsters to battle them - on the river banks, castle walls, castle proper, until they fight their way to your throne room where you have to confront them. Or you could order your flying chariot to any threatened area, where your evil lord (dark horned helmet, mace) could help your forces out. The perspective - not necessarily the graphical style, just perspective - was a bit like Ultima 7 (I'm sure there's a proper name for it). Some of the enemy forces were vaguely buddhist monks and bat-monsters that shot sonic projectiles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Xander77 posted:

A SNES game, I think. The description makes it sound a bit like Dungeon Keeper, but it doesn't appear on any lists of "games similar to DK".

You're an evil lord, and your castle is under attack by a bunch of different races. You place various monsters to battle them - on the river banks, castle walls, castle proper, until they fight their way to your throne room where you have to confront them. Or you could order your flying chariot to any threatened area, where your evil lord (dark horned helmet, mace) could help your forces out. The perspective - not necessarily the graphical style, just perspective - was a bit like Ultima 7 (I'm sure there's a proper name for it). Some of the enemy forces were vaguely buddhist monks and bat-monsters that shot sonic projectiles?

It doesn't quite match everything but Chaos Seed?