Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Angry_Ed posted:

Well that and someone (Zoe Quinn) having the gall to warn her that her anti-cyberbulling campaign was liable to get herself cyberbullied.

Which then led to Owens being attacked/cyberbullied which she thought was a false flag from Quinn and threw in with her attackers once they realized how gullible she was.

It's like the Ben Garrison flavor of Stockholm Syndrome.

Cuck-lol syndrome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/textfiles/status/1491099930857189376?s=20&t=TxLL3uX1dHxe8Vsiq_glPQ

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Seems a lot of chud media personalities are either failed comedians or actors. :thunk:

reposting this bird thread.

https://twitter.com/nicole_chenelle/status/1422449854224031745?t=XIPCt6I93InKO4Jt8QaQrg

e for twocents on Walsh hit ops: I hope various nonregressive peoples slow walk any interview / doc things given how pieces of poo poo like the Sexboat fucker are going to do what they do.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 8, 2022

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Angry_Ed posted:

Well that and someone (Zoe Quinn) having the gall to warn her that her anti-cyberbulling campaign was liable to get herself cyberbullied.

Which then led to Owens being attacked/cyberbullied which she thought was a false flag from Quinn and threw in with her attackers once they realized how gullible she was.

From what I recall, she got a phonecall from Quinn in tears warning her to shut down her site or else Gamergate would attack them both, or that it would dismantle Quinn's own harassment support network. Owens never heard of gamergate, and dismissed her concerns. Hours later her email address started getting flooded with thousands of machine-generated death threats all self-identifying as GG. Her email address wasn't public, but because the spam began a few hours after she and Quinn exchanged emails, people on twitter told her it could have only have been Quinn or one of their supporters, and the earlier phonecall was a veiled threat. As further evidence, a "sleeper agent" that was a follower for one of Quinn's private twitter accounts revealed that she had been passing around Owen's email among her circle in order to mock her.

Absolutely bonkers.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Angry_Ed posted:

A friend went to high school with Candace Owens and remembers her as a "snooty bitch who got her rear end beat down in the parking lot of a Blockbuster" and that's always how I'll remember her

selec
Sep 6, 2003

je1 healthcare posted:

From what I recall, she got a phonecall from Quinn in tears warning her to shut down her site or else Gamergate would attack them both, or that it would dismantle Quinn's own harassment support network. Owens never heard of gamergate, and dismissed her concerns. Hours later her email address started getting flooded with thousands of machine-generated death threats all self-identifying as GG. Her email address wasn't public, but because the spam began a few hours after she and Quinn exchanged emails, people on twitter told her it could have only have been Quinn or one of their supporters, and the earlier phonecall was a veiled threat. As further evidence, a "sleeper agent" that was a follower for one of Quinn's private twitter accounts revealed that she had been passing around Owen's email among her circle in order to mock her.

Absolutely bonkers.

Yeaaaaaah a lot of this sounds like poo poo dudes made up to continue to pin an enormous wave of misogynist rabblerousing on the first person they targeted, conveniently

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

A friend went to high school with Candace Owens and remembers her as a "snooty bitch who got her rear end beat down in the parking lot of a Blockbuster" and that's always how I'll remember her

Better than “poo poo your pants at a party” girl.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mds2 posted:

Better than “poo poo your pants at a party” girl.

She also brought an AR-15 to her high school grad in lieu of a date and posed for pictures with it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

nine-gear crow posted:

She also brought an AR-15 to her high school grad in lieu of a date and posed for pictures with it.

You know that AR got lucky that night.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just realized that she both poo poo her pants at a party and became famous for wearing diapers at a campus event. Which came first?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I AM GRANDO posted:

I just realized that she both poo poo her pants at a party and became famous for wearing diapers at a campus event. Which came first?

You’re mixing up your stories again granddad

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Who was the tpusa diaper girl? There aren’t that many of them going for the horny gun dad demo.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I don't remember a diaper girl, I only remember Charlie Kirk wearing a diaper and sitting in a crib on a college campus to own the libs.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Gun Girl resigned in protest from the Kent State TPUSA chapter over the diaper protest lol

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That wasn’t him—some chapter organized it and was then disavowed by Charlie. I thought gun girl was involved in some capacity.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
It's cool that Charlie Kirk was associated with the diaper thing, and after that he just got more enmeshed in the Republican media sphere, so we still have to keep seeing his stupid, tiny face for the rest of our lives.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
It is pretty incredible how the biggest dumbass dipshits are becoming superstars in the right wing media sphere. For how hateful and evil he was, Rush was incredibly smart and talented. Buck Sexton at least sounds like he knows what he's talking about most of the time, and has his "former CIA agent" label that a lot of people will view as making him credible. Then on the other hand you have complete loving morons like Charlie Kirk, Candace Owens and Ben Shapiro that are right wing superstars.

Not saying every leftist is a super cool genius or anything, of course. Maybe it's just because there's so much right wing media and so little left wing media. If left wing media was actually somewhat existent in the US, maybe it'd be overrun with complete morons too, I dunno.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I miss Jacob Wohl

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

a lot of the worst idiots are straight up legacy hires. Right wing media grifting's been around a long time and not everyone's children have any talent. IIRC Jonah Goldberg just got hired by Fox.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Twelve by Pies posted:

It is pretty incredible how the biggest dumbass dipshits are becoming superstars in the right wing media sphere. For how hateful and evil he was, Rush was incredibly smart and talented. Buck Sexton at least sounds like he knows what he's talking about most of the time, and has his "former CIA agent" label that a lot of people will view as making him credible. Then on the other hand you have complete loving morons like Charlie Kirk, Candace Owens and Ben Shapiro that are right wing superstars.

Not saying every leftist is a super cool genius or anything, of course. Maybe it's just because there's so much right wing media and so little left wing media. If left wing media was actually somewhat existent in the US, maybe it'd be overrun with complete morons too, I dunno.

What we often forget is that "Convince people to vote Republican" is not what they're actually getting paid to do, if that was the job they'd be replaced with someone better and more shameless by now. What they're getting paid to do is polish Robert Mercer's boots with their tongues. They're good at reading the scripts put in front of them and not much else is expected of them

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Scholtz posted:

I miss Jacob Wohl

Yeah I wonder what happened to him. I guess whoever kept giving him money to do dumb poo poo finally stopped. Or he's finally in jail.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Also repeating that Owens is a anti Mooner.

A true US patriot.

A cool thing Merica did, its fake.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Twelve by Pies posted:

If left wing media was actually somewhat existent in the US, maybe it'd be overrun with complete morons too, I dunno.
Bill Maher :colbert:

lmao

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Scholtz posted:

I miss Jacob Wohl

Yeah, rotten tomatoes aren't that aerodynamic.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It is incredibly how easy it is to become a reactionary figure. Every single one is a charisma void but the billionaire dinosaurs keep shoveling money at them.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They are useful to the actual people with power since nobody wants to hear from Charles Koch that the rich should pay zero taxes

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I miss Jacob Wohl and his absolutely stupid obviously fake shenanigans that I found somehow morbidly entertaining. Like his LARP spy agency that he had going on, but I've forgotten the name.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
Gun Girl is a full-blown monarchist now, which is exactly the sort of thing gun rights are allegedly supposed to stop.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Ograbme posted:

Gun Girl is a full-blown monarchist now, which is exactly the sort of thing gun rights are allegedly supposed to stop.
I’ve noticed a trend on the right in the last couple of years of a lot of these clowns going pro-monarchy

I think it’s a combination of them wanting one family like the Trumps to just rule over us forever, and the right embracing the British Royal Family because they were racist to their multiracial daughter in law

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I definitely noticed a weird uptick in defensiveness and random praise of the British Royals after all the Markle stuff. It felt like some people just slotted that into the culture war now. Royals are anti woke so they’re on the team.

Edit: I have no idea why my spell check got “Maripor” from “Markle”.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 9, 2022

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

STAC Goat posted:

I definitely noticed a weird uptick in defensiveness and random praise of the British Royals after all the Maribor stuff. It felt like some people just slotted that into the culture war now. Royals are anti woke so they’re on the team.

I mean, the GOP wants a king, that adds up.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Vahakyla posted:

I miss Jacob Wohl and his absolutely stupid obviously fake shenanigans that I found somehow morbidly entertaining. Like his LARP spy agency that he had going on, but I've forgotten the name.

He was on yeah but still recently. It was pretty funny because he bashes a lot of right wing figures.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Limbaugh was a failed regular old disc jockey a few times over and sort of stumbled into his "conservative rebel" shtick by accident. He was a little like Stern where he would just say outrageous politically incorrect poo poo to drum up publicity and get hate listeners to where it took off. I legit thought his show was satire when I first heard it and I think, to a certain extent, it was. He took the tired, stiff, uncool angry white conservative stereotype and injected it with some humor sprinkled with actual "facts" and news stories.

Then he kind of fine tuned that formula of sorts where he would just filter current events through the template he had perfected and by sharpening his natural talent for radio which made him incredibly rich and famous and naturally spawned an endless supply of imitators, most of whom fell flat because they lacked Rush's skill and charisma. Herman Cain comes to mind. His poo poo was just boring. Then you had people like Michael Savage and Ann Coulter whose sole approach was to ratchet up the rhetoric and shock value. Glen Beck had his 15 minutes with his Howard Beale impression.

Also worth noting that the niche Limbaugh carved out was just that - a niche - and a very narrow one despite its pervasive influence. He never did cross over successfully into television, for instance, or movies and his MNF stint was a disaster. I guess his books sold well enough though. Howard Stern had a couple of very successful books, a good movie and a very highly rated TV show on E! network. Also several PPV specials, a pioneering endeavor on satellite radio and a high profile slot on America's Got Talent.

I think Rush and RWM radio in general largely started out as pure entertainment but now, generations later, people have grown up listening to this, believe it and it's embedded in our discourse to where actual members of congress are hardcore dittoheads. Now you've got entire radio stations spewing this poo poo 24/7 with an audience that listens to NOTHING ELSE. Except almost all of the hosts and their personalities are like they've been assembled in a factory - and they kind of have. They're very interchangable and indistinguishable from one another.

Hannity is true giant now and knows where his bread is buttered, towing the corporate line 100% with his polished used car or real estate salesman persona and parlaying his FOX News show into a high rated radio show. O'Reilly had a similar thing going with an older audience until he flamed out. But most of these talking heads and radio voices are flailing and looking for ways to set themselves apart from what has become an assembly line of media product and it's just loving boring. "Democrats Bad" 24/7 and an automatic, packaged negative reaction to anything they say, do or propose with generous doses of faux outrage and fear mongering.

Limbaugh was fresh and unique. But now he's the prototype.

I mean, like him or not, Bill Maher strikes me as genuine at least and kind of has his own thing going. He'd be hard to try to duplicate or mimic and it would be foolish to try. Tucker Carlson just weasles his way into whatever makes him more famous and I think just kind of fell into his popularity because of FOX News prime time slots opening up since the trend seems to be be churning these people out and then casting them aside to make room for the next one but it mostly doesn't work, primarily because it lacks any emphasis on originality and creative thinking. It's all just either repeating the same script OR lamely attempting to one up the outrage-o-meter score.

Who was the last real RWM "star" that rose up from the ashes? I can think of more that crashed and burned or faded away than a real superstar (Tucker not withstanding). I don't think Joe Rogan really counts as RWM.

TL/DR: RWM is boring and dull because all of them are trying to copy what Rush Limbaugh originated but lack his talent and innovation. It's just a packaged, manufactured and franchised product now made from his recipe

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

If Joe's not RWM then what is he? Not accusing, just curious. I'd personally consider him right wing, or at least very right of center.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like Rogan is like... pre-RWM? Kind the same as Greenwald? Like Rogan could reject the conservatives telling him not to apologize for using racial slurs and actually do some self reflection and change. Or he could go all "the right are the only people being reasonable with me and giving me a chance and respecting my free speech, so what does that say about the left?" And then he's basically getting indoctrinated.

And he's probably gonna do that.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Rogan is an ideological chameleon only focused on "viewer number go up" as evidenced by him walking back statements critical of various right-wing personalities whenever twitter explodes into an incoherent cacophony of rage.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Rogan is like alt-light, I think I’ve heard it called before

Not quite alt-right but trending in that way

If you are platforming people like Jordan Peterson then you are definitely alt-right adjacent

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

Rogan is like alt-light, I think I’ve heard it called before

Not quite alt-right but trending in that way

If you are platforming people like Jordan Peterson then you are definitely alt-right adjacent

I view Rogan as Alt-Right gateway. His key contribution to alt-right is to make alt-right personalities and views "acceptable" by giving them a supposed clean platform to espouse their views without challenge. Rogan knows what he's doing, there's no way an adult says the n-word 70+ times while inviting on Holocaust deniers, nazis, and Alt-Right personalities.

https://twitter.com/BySteveReilly/status/1491168971152044033?s=20&t=lWr1ECizQpLZH3qAzPy1kA

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 9, 2022

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

PhazonLink posted:

Also repeating that Owens is a anti Mooner.

A true US patriot.

A cool thing Merica did, its fake.

I doubt she actually believes that conspiracy, but denying the moon landing benefits her managers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Neito posted:

If Joe's not RWM then what is he? Not accusing, just curious. I'd personally consider him right wing, or at least very right of center.

More of an edgy libertarian idiot type who's "just asking questions" and letting "both sides be heard". A dumb jock version of someone like Bill Maher who leans more right. Maher would always bring out guests like Ted Nugent, Ann Coulter, Pat Buchannan, etc. just to talk poo poo and create conflict on set. I think Rogan is similar to that.

I don't slot him in with the Hannity's and Carlson's of the world and I don't think he's inherently or primarily political in what he does. It seems like he'll interview anybody that wants to come on without the exchange seeming entirely like a setup or even overtly one sided and, from what I've listened to (which isn't much), he seems to give his guests room to breathe and roam no matter who they are. He's an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about 90% of the time and I'm not sure why he's so popular but he's just a meat head sports guy that has a mic and a platform who sounds off on things he has no clue about.

Like if you gave Aaron Rodgers his own radio show or miked up golfers in the clubhouse.

I think Rogan will let anyone who wants to actually talk opine and give them space to do that. He'd probably give Bernie Sanders or Rachel Maddow a wide berth if he had them on. I think he wound up becoming a political figure by sheer accident and he's not really what I think of when I ponder the type of folks who inspired this thread. I never got the sense that he's trying to push any real political agenda other than what his thick rock of a brain thinks is correct. He IS right wing but he seems genuine and not entirely manufactured or angling for a guest spot at CPAC.

You could be right and it's just me not having listened to his show enough but the ones I HAVE listened to were when he had someone on I genuinely liked and that's how I found out about him. For all I know you nailed it and office workers everywhere are listening to him daily to get their hate boner for liberals extra super hard and I just haven't caught on.