Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Urcher posted:

Word cloud for January:

Tasmania forever.

edit: uh oh, new page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyk4-wS3rv4

SecretOfSteel fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
INFRASTRUCTURE WAR

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
what's up auspol, glad to see things are even more thoroughly hosed than the last time I posted here 4 years ago

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

hey qm

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin
hey, 'sup

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

SuddenCactus posted:

but my lions are so hungry
How about they only eat the Transgender christians?

Kumanjayi Bloomfield, 47, died in a car crash on the Plenty Highway near Harts Range, north-east of Alice Springs, 5km after NT police abandoned a 30-second pursuit. Officers began the pursuit because they believed Bloomfield, who was unlicensed and intoxicated, was trying to avoid a random breath test by taking a well-used shortcut. The coroner, Greg Cavanagh, said the failure of police to observe cultural protocols, including allowing Bloomfield's family to have a last look at his body in the community, the failure to allow the family to view the scene of the crash, and the decision to remove the police vehicle for examination without explaining why to the community had led to distrust and suspicion, worsened by long delay between Bloomfield's death and police completing their investigation. He recommended that police receive training on the importance of providing the family with timely viewing and information, in accordance with recommendations from the royal commission into Aboriginal deaths in custody.

ISSUES RAISED
Injured in custody.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
if bridget archer doesn't lose her very marginal seat at the next election she's going to become an independent, surely?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Wow Scott has done really well for a bloke that can't count to two.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-09/fact-check-scott-morrison-on-richard-colbeck-hearing-attendances/100813732

quote:

Asked by 4BC host Neil Breen whether Senator Colbeck should have appeared at the committee hearing, Mr Morrison responded:

"He has appeared, as you know, at that hearing on many, many occasions."

"[H]e's appeared before that [committee] on countless occasions."

At the time of Mr Morrison's claim on January 28, Senator Colbeck had appeared at only two of 55 public hearings of the Senate Select Committee on COVID-19.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
The super religious Lib premier is more against the religious discrimination bill than the ALP are

https://twitter.com/tamsinroses/status/1491215881036509184?s=20&t=cqkzJK6CiJPTe2nVaKuUTQ

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
It takes precisely one guess to figure which of these is the Albo option

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Seemlar posted:

It takes precisely one guess to figure which of these is the Albo option

I'm struggling to see the tactical downside of just knocking it back and making the government look inept, but also I don't have access to the crazed religious voter tracking in nation builder.

lih
May 15, 2013

the shadow cabinet's position was earlier reported as "try to pass the amendments in the senate and refuse to pass the bill without them", so i don't think the leadership are the ones who are pushing 'bitch and fold'

the 'bitch and fold' position seems to be being pushed by some of the worst of the labor right, who are either terrified of being wedged here despite it being deeply unpopular, or are the catholic right sda who largely support the bill. when they've been talking to the press about it over the last few years they keep bringing up "western sydney" and "religious immigrants" but obviously the bill sucks even for minority religions as it allows religious hospitals, aged care etc. to fire people for their religion and they don't want to think about that. like, a lot of non-christian religious bodies have been opposing it for that reason

lih fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 9, 2022

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

I'm struggling to see the tactical downside of just knocking it back and making the government look inept, but also I don't have access to the crazed religious voter tracking in nation builder.

Tony proved that just being a wrecker is a totally valid political strategy.

aUsTrAlIa NeEdS tOnY

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
man, Grace Tame is an excellent orator. The speeches at the press club today are great.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
she's going off. Its super powerful stuff.

lih
May 15, 2013

quote:

Labor caucus has concluded.

Guardian Australia understands Labor will move its religious discrimination amendments in the House of Representatives but Labor will not oppose the bill in the house if these are unsuccessful.

This was the recommendation of the shadow cabinet.

Then, Labor will seek to amend the bill in the Senate. If the Senate amends the bill, Labor says it will “insist” on its amendments, and keep sending the bill back to the House until it agrees.

However, other participants have said Labor reserve its rights about what to do if the House doesn’t agree - and Anthony Albanese promised another caucus meeting if this impasse develops.

So we could see an impasse between the two houses - and Labor won’t say if it will fold, there will have to be some further process to decide what to do.

Guardian Australia understands that Labor MP Josh Burns moved for Labor to OPPOSE the bill in the House if amendments weren’t carried, but the motion was defeated on the voices. Ten or more MPs spoke in favour including Alicia Payne, Peter Khalil, Brian Mitchell, Peta Murphy, and Kate Thwaites.

In favour of passing it through the House (if amendments were not passed) were: Chris Bowen, other shadow cabinet ministers, Stephen Jones and Julian Hill. This was not a left-right divide, MPs in this side were concerned to prevent giving Scott Morrison a political wedge to campaign on.
The amendments are:

To amend section 38(3) of the Sex Discrimination Act to protect both teachers and students from discrimination on the grounds of gender and sexuality
Remove the statements of belief clause
Prohibiting discrimination in provision of aged care services
Banning vilification on the grounds of religion.
During the meeting, we got mixed messages on whether teachers would be protected, but Labor’s shadow education minister, Tanya Plibersek, has confirmed they will.

https://twitter.com/tanya_plibersek/status/1491222671958298624

pretty good except for possibly leaving the door open to fold at the last minute lmao? some of the religious institutions getting more power to discriminate when hiring stuff might not be covered though, it's unclear. like it sounds like they're cutting out aged care and teachers but maybe not hospitals?

i think there are enough moderate libs who want to cross the floor on this that there being major disagreement between house/senate shouldn't be an issue though

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

lih posted:

https://twitter.com/tanya_plibersek/status/1491222671958298624

pretty good except for possibly leaving the door open to fold at the last minute lmao? some of the religious institutions getting more power to discriminate when hiring stuff might not be covered though, it's unclear. like it sounds like they're cutting out aged care and teachers but maybe not hospitals?

i think there are enough moderate libs who want to cross the floor on this that there being major disagreement between house/senate shouldn't be an issue though

https://twitter.com/prideinprotest/status/1491235293449850884

Looks like they're going to wave it through in the House and hope the Senate votes with them on the amendments?

lih
May 15, 2013

yes that's the exact article I quoted

it's dumbass procedural poo poo but doesn't really matter unless they also fold in the senate. they really should just take the win there though with the government taking a loss in the lower house due to their own MPs if it played out that way.

https://twitter.com/JoshButler/status/1491241325647495168

here is the official labor statement, saying they'll "insist" on their amendments in both house and senate.

no amendment for sex discrimination act re: teachers yet though - seems like it's an election promise instead as they want to do a proper review

lih fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 9, 2022

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

hooman posted:

Tony proved that just being a wrecker is a totally valid political strategy.

aUsTrAlIa NeEdS tOnY

Say what you will about Tony Abbott as PM, he was a consummate LOTO. If your job is to take down your opponents and make your party seem better to the average voter, he killed it.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Centusin posted:

The super religious Lib premier is more against the religious discrimination bill than the ALP are

He just doesn't want Muslims to have the same leeway as his mob.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

"amend it later" means "its done forget about it stop bothering us"

https://twitter.com/muz19751/status/1491245183014674433

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

lih posted:

it's dumbass procedural poo poo but doesn't really matter unless they also fold in the senate.

https://twitter.com/StephenJonesMP/status/1491247365650776069

"We'll fix it in government" means they're going to fold in the senate

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Tony Abbot was an awesome opposition leader.

A pit bull who lived to say "NO!" and interspersed it with "Look at her! Shes a woman!" and "Unions. Communism. Labah Waste!". It was amazingly effective.

He is also a cunty religious fundie oval office who literally didn't last a single term and tried to give Prince Phillip a knighthood. A horrible human all around.

But the "NO!" and "Look at him! He's loving ScoMo!" tactic would still work today, and I am ever so slightly disappointed that nobody is trying it.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

A kinder, gentler opposition

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

standing in front of the window, watching the birds singing in the golden morning sun, anidav thought to themselves, "wow i feel great today. i havent felt like this since bill... ooooohh nooooooooooooooooooo"

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Centusin posted:

https://twitter.com/tamsinroses/status/1491215881036509184?s=20&t=cqkzJK6CiJPTe2nVaKuUTQ

He also said that he would climb up and put the permanent Aboriginal flag on the harbour bridge himself, when told it was going to take 2 years or something

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

BrigadierSensible posted:

But the "NO!" and "Look at him! He's loving ScoMo!" tactic would still work today, and I am ever so slightly disappointed that nobody is trying it.

its kind of sad the way you can tell the worst kind of labor supporter can tell this but their lovely party can't

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

its kind of sad the way you can tell the worst kind of labor supporter can tell this but their lovely party can't

:decorum:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

BrigadierSensible posted:

We don't talk about ScoMo.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
Why can't Labor just stop ruining it's own chances of reelection? Do they really need to pander to religious fundamentalists? And it is the fundamentalists who want to exclude people from employment or schooling.

It writes itself. They could even double down on the dog whistles and compare the proposed bill to the Taliban, then kick Scomo in the balls over how he abandoned Afghanistan.

Oh no, some of their MPs agree with the bill? Who cares. Eject them from the party, they've been pulling this crap for years and if they're not going to play ball with a proper Labor agenda then they can dangle out as independents.

lih
May 15, 2013

the answer is that labor are morons who are terrible at politics and communication and insist on coming up with the most 4d chess convoluted positions they can which ends up making no one happy.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Someone here might find this interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_0bRylRZg0

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Why in the suffering gently caress Am I agreeing with her, of all people, over Labour in relation to a political position involving bigotry?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

What else should they be doing?

lih
May 15, 2013

labor should be firmly saying they won't support the bill if the amendments don't pass instead of dodging the question as much as possible.

https://twitter.com/StephenJonesMP/status/1491247907634577408

they also really should be moving better amendments because theirs don't fix all the problems.

a bunch of mps have said in their speeches they don't support the bill in its current form and it should not be legislation so lmao if labor still folds in the senate in the end after all that.

katter is currently going on an insane rant about how child sexual abuse claims are religious discrimination and the evils of communism among many other things

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

What happened to Antony's face?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Eediot Jedi posted:

What else should they be doing?

Voting against it would be nice

lih
May 15, 2013

katter is now listing all his favourite christians from the crusades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Labor's strategy is let the libs ruin it for themselves but when it was labor in power the libs let labor ruin it for themselves while also pointing out all the other "issues" with their policy/party, real or fictional.

Labor are idiots. Rip their loving throat out you cowards.