Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

we all got fooled like we were buying nfts for the investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

"hahahah i can't believe u idiots thought that crypto people were self-harmingly stupid. what on earth could give you that impression? it was totally unrealistic. no i've never heard of poe's law. please buy my nfts, bye!"

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I can't stop watching these.

https://twitter.com/ethmuppet/status/1491123964302991362?s=21

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
tomorrow the feds are gonna arrest the Foam Adventure chicks and finally solve the mystery of D.B. Cooper

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

That lady got some tiny teeth.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

She is literally Owen Wilson remade as a woman.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The statement of facts from the indictment has lots of boxes and arrows and footnotes.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-release/file/1470186/download

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I fully believe that those two are the smartest people involved in cryptocurrency. I've seen nothing to indicate otherwise

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

smackfu posted:

The statement of facts from the indictment has lots of boxes and arrows and footnotes.

Currency of the future!

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
She also seems like an escapee from a 30 Rock script.
Tina Fey should get charged for something here.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Non-Fey Tinas

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Get me an NFT of this poo poo:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Did they come up with "NFT" as a term to try to force people to pronounce it like "nifty?" I thought about this the other day and instantly regretted it, but the thought had already besmirched my brain.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
a lot of good news for the laughchain today

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Vesi posted:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Crypto and NFTs are like baby's first pump-n-dump for rich kids whose dads work in finance.

Prior to this it was sneaker hoarding.

Reminded of an article about the sneaker collectors finding out that their ridiculously overpriced shoes are falling apart after spending years in boxes unworn

Also, I'm not surprised that scammers are stupid. They often succeed because they speak the language of stupid people.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Vesi posted:

I stole 120k laughs from the laughchain. Still, it only goes up uP UP

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Can someone explain this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHXFppHY43k

Someone (1 GUY) it seems has made a pikimon MMO scam and made $73.8 million in a DAY.

What's Star Citizen's explanation for why they haven't done this yet. A DAY.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Comstar posted:

Can someone explain this

It's a scam.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Did they come up with "NFT" as a term to try to force people to pronounce it like "nifty?" I thought about this the other day and instantly regretted it, but the thought had already besmirched my brain.

nufties

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

But enough about Star Citizen. Why did it take them 9 years to make 400+ Million but only a day for one guy to make 73.

Who the hell is throwing 73 million away in a day?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

An NFT that somehow rusts and leaks oil. What a world

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

smackfu posted:

quote:

U.S. authorities traced the stolen funds on the BTC blockchain.7
As detailed below, beginning in or around January 2017, a portion of the stolen BTC moved out of Wallet 1CGA4s
in a series of small, complex transactions across multiple accounts and platforms. This shuffling,
which created a voluminous number of transactions, appeared to be designed to conceal the path
of the stolen BTC, making it difficult for law enforcement to trace the funds. Despite these efforts,
as explained further below, U.S. authorities traced the stolen BTC to multiple accounts

A lot of people who were counting on tumblers to launder their crime money are going to be making GBS threads their pants over this.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/SeanBurkeShow/status/1487048290277408770

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Goddamn, awkward AND annoying AND a rapper AND a crypto scammer AND an influencer with a fashion line. Where does the universe find these people?

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

GABA ghoul posted:

Goddamn, awkward AND annoying AND a rapper AND a crypto scammer AND an influencer with a fashion line. Where does the universe find these people?

The Iranian YouTube Shooter was the MKULTRA test run for Turkish Martha Stewart

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

GABA ghoul posted:

Rich people's kids, usually. Unlimited free time and no sense of shame.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1491368340044267520?t=5Hoog2bmPqU7vALvbxM_IQ&s=19

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

He's got what it takes in modern finance. He'll be given a vice president title at HSBC by the end of the week.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Can't get enough of this idiocy

https://twitter.com/Tylerban/status/1491119518705659904?t=Sr0w0DxfTtiIjVx1U2Egdg&s=19

I'm not even dissing. You go, you beautiful idiots. Steal each other blind :allears:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

GABA ghoul posted:

Can't get enough of this idiocy

https://twitter.com/Tylerban/status/1491119518705659904?t=Sr0w0DxfTtiIjVx1U2Egdg&s=19

I'm not even dissing. You go, you beautiful idiots. Steal each other blind :allears:

Lol was just about to post about her being a "Forbes Contributor," LMAO

Also, great to see that cocaine is still a drug people can get and use without it being fentanyl...cause these people are clearly on a ton of it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Aramis posted:

A lot of people who were counting on tumblers to launder their crime money are going to be making GBS threads their pants over this.

So is this chain correct?
1. Feds managed to track some of the Bitfinex coins through tumblers back to this guys address.
2. That got them a warrant for his cloud storage.
3. They decrypted his “accounts.xls” files and it had private keys for addresses directly tied to the theft.
4. Arrests!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Comstar posted:

But enough about Star Citizen. Why did it take them 9 years to make 400+ Million but only a day for one guy to make 73.

Who the hell is throwing 73 million away in a day?

star citizen got paid in real money

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
So you’re saying that the publicly available immutable blockchain kept track of where coins went?????

It’s just all so loving stupid, the biggest plot twist has been bitfinex actually being hacked

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

star citizen got paid in real money

now THAT is a real grift!

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

smackfu posted:

So is this chain correct?
1. Feds managed to track some of the Bitfinex coins through tumblers back to this guys address.
2. That got them a warrant for his cloud storage.
3. They decrypted his “accounts.xls” files and it had private keys for addresses directly tied to the theft.
4. Arrests!

Whats interesting to me is that it appears, given the timeline of when they were tipped off to when they made the arrests, is that they brute forced the decryption and it took the better part of a year.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1491403878038130688

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Absolutely loving incredible

What is it about cryptocurrency-related things that causes people to lose whatever sanity, competence, and scruples they have

(im talking about the bbc here, not the guy who did the scam)

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Hammerite posted:

What is it about cryptocurrency-related things that causes people to lose whatever sanity, competence, and scruples they have

Same thing that makes all people fall for scams: Greed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hammerite posted:

It's the same as saying 'dotcom' in the nineties, boomers and failchildren think computers are literally magic.