Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Evil_Greven posted:

Started Soulfist, did prologue. Rolled Shadowhunter, and it feels a lot smoother. I might do this prologue a few times just to try some classes.

e: In the test area, I didn't care for Deathblade. Did like Wardancer, Scrapper was ok. Like paladin, berserker is ok, didn't like gunlancer though. Not sure how representative these test areas are for actually doing skills though; Soulfist felt better in the prologue than the test area.

a lot of people are going to see soulfist and be baited into thinking you are goku but like 90% of your power is behind your ult and always feels anemic if you dont have and it feels terrible if you miss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Game fun, can confirm. Made 5 characters and got through the first Big Thing with my sorceress.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

a lot of people are going to see soulfist and be baited into thinking you are goku but like 90% of your power is behind your ult and always feels anemic if you dont have and it feels terrible if you miss it.

In true dragonball fashion you can’t win the battle before the ultimate final attack, but you can still lose it and also just whiff your final attack

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I tried out Gunslinger and played through the prologue. While it seems pretty cool and I certainly respect it, I do not think I have the dexterity required for stance dancing amongst other things. I think I may go with one of the warrior classes. I know having alts is a big thing though, so should I leave the character be instead of deleting? I am not entirely sure I will come back to her.

Also, the walk cycle Gunslinger had...uh...kinda sucks the tension out of cutscenes.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Unlucky7 posted:

I tried out Gunslinger and played through the prologue. While it seems pretty cool and I certainly respect it, I do not think I have the dexterity required for stance dancing amongst other things. I think I may go with one of the warrior classes. I know having alts is a big thing though, so should I leave the character be instead of deleting? I am not entirely sure I will come back to her.

Also, the walk cycle Gunslinger had...uh...kinda sucks the tension out of cutscenes.

While folks do have alts, part of that is contingent on actually enjoying spending time running content on them. I wouldn't feel beholden to a character with that little playtime.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Memnaelar posted:

Boo queue on Mari. I guess this is what I get for trying to sign on during West Coast primetime.

Queue was ~4,000 when I logged in so I alt-tabbed to do other things - I was surprised when the game came up about 10 minutes later.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Upon retrospec I shouldn't have accepted the login bonus, but at least I did not pop open my founders pack.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Kaysette posted:

Game fun, can confirm. Made 5 characters and got through the first Big Thing with my sorceress.

I didn't watch any vids of the game before release besides some stuff to help me figure out what class to play, and I also think I just finished the first big thing Big Wall?, and dang I'm impressed with the scale and feel of the big setpieces and dungeons. I'm not paying attention to the story really because I don't care but I appreciate when poo poo starts popping off.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Do all the melees have positionals? They're not my favorite thing but sorc is proving to be a lot squishier than I thought it would be (and I mean partly I'm terrible,) so thinking of trying out Soul Fist to DBZ it up or maybe Scrapper because Vi and I was told it's on the tankier side (and really the only tanky option if you want to play as a woman).

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think they all have positionals in terms of like "hitting a boss in the back does more damage", but no attacks that must be from behind to work at all. I haven't tried scrapper yet myself but a friend who's matching it is in love so far

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

Something is intensely wrong with the bloom in this game. For me, at least.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

So all the advice from the big nerds is to skip side quests and only do the main story quest, but I decided to just do all of the quests as I'm roaming around this time and it feels...way smoother? The whole map feels really pointless when you're just running from one side to the other to press G a bunch, but doing all the side quests I'm seeing mobs and places I never noticed before, and I feel like I'm leveling up more frequently (even if this is technically slower in the long run).

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Seems like NA servers are full: https://twitter.com/playlostark/status/1491223994909229061?cxt=HHwWioDUkdKU8rEpAAAA and https://twitter.com/playlostark/status/1491200707005157377?cxt=HHwWgsDU3Y3J57EpAAAA

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Eimi posted:

Do all the melees have positionals? They're not my favorite thing but sorc is proving to be a lot squishier than I thought it would be (and I mean partly I'm terrible,) so thinking of trying out Soul Fist to DBZ it up or maybe Scrapper because Vi and I was told it's on the tankier side (and really the only tanky option if you want to play as a woman).

From what I understand, certain attack skills can have a 'back attack' or 'front attack' property on them, either by default or user-selected by a tripod for that skill, indicating that they do increased damage when using that skill at the back or front of the enemy. Similarly, certain attack skills could also have a 'counter' property, indicating that if you use it on a boss at their front when they're in a blue counterable state, they'll be stunned (if not at the front, it won't work). I don't think you deal more damage in front or back universally for all attacks if that's what you're worried about, just on a specific per-skill basis, though I think you can get certain engravings that increase damage if you attack front or back of enemies, so that might be a slight factor, but I think you'd only get such an engraving if you were a class with many back attack skills to make it worth. So yes, there can be some positional play at work, but you'll need to check your skills and build to see when it applies, if at all.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 9, 2022

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead

Hefty posted:

So all the advice from the big nerds is to skip side quests and only do the main story quest, but I decided to just do all of the quests as I'm roaming around this time and it feels...way smoother? The whole map feels really pointless when you're just running from one side to the other to press G a bunch, but doing all the side quests I'm seeing mobs and places I never noticed before, and I feel like I'm leveling up more frequently (even if this is technically slower in the long run).

I've been doing this too. First time through the game. Feels slow, but I'm having a lot of fun playing a new game and checking everything out. Also I'm old and bad so I need time to practice killing poo poo.

Is there a deconstruct/disenchant skill? Or should I just vendor all my old gear?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hefty posted:

Honestly I think you have the right idea. A lot of people are treating this like a big race when it’s not even that hard to hit the level cap to start with.

Just take your time and enjoy yourself.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Rotten posted:

Is there a deconstruct/disenchant skill? Or should I just vendor all my old gear?

There's a Dismantle button on the bottom left of your inventory.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Cross posting from the discord:

I am torn between warrior classes: I would pick Paladin since everything feels like it flows good (at least from the tester), but I do not want to be pigeonholed into support, at least yet. Gunlancer is second in that it flows pretty good, but the skills in the tester feel a bit...anemic? Is that indicative of the class or is it just a bit of a bad build? Berserker on the other hand gibs things real good but it just doesn't flow well, or at least as the other two warrior classes. So I am between Gunlancer and Berseker, so I want to ask, does Gunlancer get better about how powerful the skills are/feel? I do not care if it never gets to the level of Berserker skills, I only would like to know if it gets better

EDIT: Well, I spent way too long in the Tester area and I need to go to sleep soon, so, big gibs win out. Berserker for now, will play Gunlancer later.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 9, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thank you everyone that lurked in my stream tonight. Even if just for the Twitch drops, it was really appreciated. I think it might be enough even to push me to Twitch Affiliate status, which will get me a subscriber button, and emotes. :v:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Also, as someone who played the beta, I guess we just skip the class specific intros and you start at level 10 with your Advanced Class now?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Unlucky7 posted:

Also, as someone who played the beta, I guess we just skip the class specific intros and you start at level 10 with your Advanced Class now?

I never played the beta and was able to do that

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Good Citizen posted:

I never played the beta and was able to do that

That is what I am talking about; In the beta when I tried Warrior it had me play its intro. Now, it is just summarized.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i'm still planning on going support when f2p launches but now i'm kinda torn after watching a bunch of videos and reading reddits, in yall's opinion would bard be better than paladin for doing content i've never done before?

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

Cross posting from the discord:

I am torn between warrior classes: I would pick Paladin since everything feels like it flows good (at least from the tester), but I do not want to be pigeonholed into support, at least yet. Gunlancer is second in that it flows pretty good, but the skills in the tester feel a bit...anemic? Is that indicative of the class or is it just a bit of a bad build? Berserker on the other hand gibs things real good but it just doesn't flow well, or at least as the other two warrior classes. So I am between Gunlancer and Berseker, so I want to ask, does Gunlancer get better about how powerful the skills are/feel? I do not care if it never gets to the level of Berserker skills, I only would like to know if it gets better

EDIT: Well, I spent way too long in the Tester area and I need to go to sleep soon, so, big gibs win out. Berserker for now, will play Gunlancer later.

Gunlancer has two main builds that I've seen -- one uses more gun skills (red), the other uses more shield skills (blue). I haven't played it at endgame, but I did take one to level 30 and spend way too long in the testing area where you have access to all the skills/stats/runes/etc. IMO the red build feels like it hits harder, because it's burstier and relies more on crits, whereas the blue build stacks flat damage and takes a lot of skills that don't really look like they do anything. Upside of the blue build is you can basically have 100% uptime on your shield and just not give a gently caress about a lot of boss mechanics.

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Had fun getting up to level 20 as bard and doing the Morai Ruins dungeon. Appreciating the gameplay more as I get a bit deeper into the game! I haven't grouped up yet but I figure it's not super necessary until later on. Also, it helps I'm finding the story the good kind of bad with lines like: "I don't know how to deal with this plague and the Demons at the same time…"

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Can you only donate to guild once a day? I donated before I got the quest that asked me to donate so I guess I'm waiting?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Razeam posted:

Had fun getting up to level 20 as bard and doing the Morai Ruins dungeon. Appreciating the gameplay more as I get a bit deeper into the game! I haven't grouped up yet but I figure it's not super necessary until later on. Also, it helps I'm finding the story the good kind of bad with lines like: "I don't know how to deal with this plague and the Demons at the same time…"

You’re pretty close to being at a very good part of the game. It was that part of the game, in addition to hard mode dungeons, that finally sold me on the game. I was kinda meh before that.

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

But... This... What is this practice for?
Playing in 4k, the scrolling combat text is so ridiculously tiny that I didn't even notice it at first. Apparently this is a bug that has been known for like 4 months but nothing has been said about it since.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Razeam posted:

can you give trip reports on playing a bard for the next few levels? i'm not starting until friday but I wish to live vicariously through you

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
Is anyone else having trouble dodging aoes? I have like 15ms ping according to the game, but I was killing a word boss and felt like I was constantly getting hit after I left aoes. Maybe I'm just bad, it's has happened before.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Suprfli6 posted:

Ended up at level 34 after about 8 hours, but I also was doing some rapport, chain quests, etc instead of just tunneling the msq. Wardancer is pretty fun once you have enough aoe abilities to rotate between them all.

I died once to a giant fire breathing demon-dragon because after each phase you are supposed to run to the next platform before he incinerates the area you were on with no real indication of what to do. And then again when I was supposed to be wearing an evil clown costume but took it off to kill something and it turns out all the clowns instakill you if they aggro you.

I died to the evil clowns, I think they’re supposed to be the equivalent of a party area or something, but I didn’t die to the fire demon because if you max out sorc judgement bolt and water wave you can instaphase/kill bosses. It is both extremely funny and satisfying every time.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
ended at 33 on sorc after dealing with a poo poo queue and also having time to play a bit on my soulfist. it’s a good game. everyone should come try it! :)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm gonna be playing this F2P simply because the game looks like fun and generally awesome. No idea on what class yet, though. I generally don't want to play a tank, but I would like to play a melee class, and a female if possible, so I'm leaning towards the martial arts classes. Maybe Scrapper. From what I hear it is somewhat beginner-friendly.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Game fun. Managed to get to 33 as well even though I had to work today (I might have played quite a bit while "working" since it was a slow day and I had some free time) and have tomorrow off to go full bore to 50.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

What's the best class for controller

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
Is this game good enough to warrant paying £13 to play a couple of days early? Does the *stuff* that the founders pack give actually provide anything nice?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

LeFishy posted:

Is this game good enough to warrant paying £13 to play a couple of days early? Does the *stuff* that the founders pack give actually provide anything nice?

The stuff in the packs is pretty bad unless you really want one of the costumes, imho, not worth it to sit in queue early

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

The stuff in the packs is pretty bad unless you really want one of the costumes, imho, not worth it to sit in queue early

Exactly what I needed to hear, thank you.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Soulfist felt the coolest of the three options for lady martial artist, which I was not expecting at all.

By ult do you mean the hype system or the big light blast attack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Few quick bits from my 3 hours last night.

Play to the level 20 dungeon if you want to work out if this game is for you I guess - the dungeon is fantastic.

Striker does not feel great - not sure what it is but the skills don't feel as though they do much damage but will keep playing. I understand the role is quite positional so maybe thats just not clicking for me.

If you have frame rate stutters try turning off 'Area' chat, it hugely improved mine.