Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I find Nomura's belt obsession pretty hilarious, but really, Amano has just as much of a "BEADS, BEADS EVERYWHERE" obsession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
ffx has a lot of great costume design and lulu is no exception

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yuna, Rikku, and Auron look alright. Everyone else looks like Adam Sandler let them dress themselves for school.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yuna probably has my fave FF character design

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ZearothK posted:

How is Bug Fables, by the way? I've had it in my wishlist for ages, but I never really pressed the button.

I enjoy it a lot

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's more accurate to say that belts were a Nomura thing, he's mostly moved on to different design tics.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I was not expecting Maglam Lord to have Alpha Protocol's dialogue system.

Many of your possible dialogue responses are categorized as "Cool", "Funny", or "Demonic", and giving enough of one kind of response unlocks titles that affect your stats. Gameplay-wise it's been pretty simplistic so far, but the writing is fun.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Motto posted:

It's more accurate to say that belts were a Nomura thing, he's mostly moved on to different design tics.

Yeah, he's zippers and plaid now.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I make fun of Nomura sometimes, but I really do actually enjoy him as an artist, and you can really see a clear progression in his style from the early days to today.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xdzP3yyNEI

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

unless they add some new mechanic i'm unaware of, the battle system in natrual doctrine is way more straightforward than reviews made it sound. i understood it immediately in the first tutorial battle. it's just a way of showing bonuses conferred for proximity of allies and attacking the same target, and allows you to get more people to attack in one turn.

the only thing i'm confused about is that when my party defeats the enemies within a square, they automatically move up into that enemy's square at the end of the turn, turning them into sitting ducks for the enemy on their turn. why can't they just.. not do that, and stay where they are? if they have the ability to move a square, then let me arrange them how i want to when you do that, given that cover is so important

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Yuna probably has my fave FF character design

i like how underneath her elaborate summoner robe she's wearing mundane and practical boots suitable for walking in inclement conditions

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

the tactics ogre remake has probably my least favorite leveling system of any game ive played. individual classes have levels instead of characters and each new class starts at level one. after a battle experience is divided between all the classes that took part and lower level classes get more xp, but nowhere near enough for them to catch up in a reasonable amount of time. this also means you cant even set up kills to feed experience to a lower level class. just the worst of all worlds

theres a dungeon where enemy levels scale to the levels of your deployed characters but thats not great for leveling either because you need specific items to change class aaaarrgh no wonder everyone only used archers forever

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
summon night's got the worst srpg xp system i've ever seen and it only makes it hurt worse that they fixed it but only in a ds port where the music, one of the more underappreciated and generally pleasant ps1 srpg soundtracks, sounds like it's being played out of a moldy shoe

like man summon night 1 and 2 have some legitimately really nice tracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TNj9VOnDvchttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9YNVm5af0o

i just... cannot deal with the ds ports... even for how rebalanced they are they just destroy these songs...

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 9, 2022

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

cuntman.net posted:

the tactics ogre remake has probably my least favorite leveling system of any game ive played. individual classes have levels instead of characters and each new class starts at level one. after a battle experience is divided between all the classes that took part and lower level classes get more xp, but nowhere near enough for them to catch up in a reasonable amount of time. this also means you cant even set up kills to feed experience to a lower level class. just the worst of all worlds

theres a dungeon where enemy levels scale to the levels of your deployed characters but thats not great for leveling either because you need specific items to change class aaaarrgh no wonder everyone only used archers forever

Tactics Ogre’s leveling system is pretty inexplicably godawful yeah. I can’t decide if the worst part is the skill system that’s also kinda grindy and keeps you from just making a newly bought recruit into X class or the fact that equipment is level gated too which makes new people even more dead weight. It sucks cause it’s a very well presented game, and the idea of having class levels isn’t fundamentally flawed if you don’t make basic mistakes, but yeah. Part of me genuinely wonders if Matsuno actually plays the games he makes.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
in tactics ogre, just do the crafting and give a new recruit all +1 weapons/armor and go to tynemouth hill. +1 is such a power gap at the lower end. i mean yeah you gotta do 1 shared battled so they can equip the +1 but it isnt so bad really

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Man I hope Project Triangle Strategy scratches the Tactics Ogre LUCT itch. The Switch needs more TRPGs - the perfect handheld genre.

Edit: I was hoping they'd add the 2D art as portraits for speech bubbles, but I don't think they have from what I've seen in trailers

Hocus Pocus fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 9, 2022

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

MotU posted:

in tactics ogre, just do the crafting
*screams in wootz steel*

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
SMTV is good, but I have no idea if the game's really frontloaded or just very short; it feels like I've progressed a lot more than the story has.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the choices for crafting in luct are to endlessly s/l or show some fuckin' self respect and cheat.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
new recruits are gonna be missing tarot card stat bonuses and skill levels anyway

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
maglam lord is the most "psp-rear end game" i've played since the Vita. i love PSP-rear end trash so this is fairly win

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Looper posted:

new recruits are gonna be missing tarot card stat bonuses and skill levels anyway

Also characters existing in a class when it levels up gives them permanent bonuses so anyone who gets recruited later is likely missing out on the stat gains from all your low tier classes leveling up unless you saved classes for late-game named characters.

(If you want to play PSP TO I recommend One Vision, which fixes most of the stupid grind poo poo like crafting and skill grinding and rebalances the classes so archers and ninjas aren't better than every other generic class in the entire game by a factor of a million)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ZearothK posted:

How is Bug Fables, by the way? I've had it in my wishlist for ages, but I never really pressed the button.
great! it's charming, well paced, fun to explore, fun to play. i think the art is a bit of a miss sometimes but whatever.

my only real gripe with the game is that the action commands can get a bit too involved for their own good. paper mario itself never goes beyond "mash a button" "time a button" and "input this sequence of buttons" and there's a good reason for that, when the commands start to get into the territory of combining all three of these and more into an intense 5-second command chain it starts to make lategame combat seem like a bit of a chore with how often you'll be repeating them as you spam your best moves. it also presents a pretty large skill wall you have to pass if you want to do the hardest bonus stuff in the game which was never the point of the original action commands, they're more just there as stuff to keep you busy during fights

it's only a pretty minor problem though and may not bother you at all (may even be what you're looking for).

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 9, 2022

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Leraika posted:

SMTV is good, but I have no idea if the game's really frontloaded or just very short; it feels like I've progressed a lot more than the story has.

there's four big zones so you can use that to gauge your progress. It just doesn't have very many cutscenes. It's a gameplay-light game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

there's four big zones so you can use that to gauge your progress. It just doesn't have very many cutscenes. It's a gameplay-light game.

I wouldn't describe smtv as light on gameplay

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I meant story light lol

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Sometimes I post faster than my brain can keep up

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
FF6PR has a release date:

https://press.na.square-enix.com/AN-UNFORGETTABLE-JOURNEY-AWAITS-WITH-FINAL-FANTASY-VI-RELEASING-FOR-ST

Finally!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

It truly boggles my mind that there's been no mention of these coming out on Switch other than a vague "we'll see if there's a demand" statement from S-E. I guess I have no real data to back it up, but it seems like FF would probably kill on Switch. I've probably bought FF4 or the remake on at least three or four different consoles at this point, lol.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

MockingQuantum posted:

It truly boggles my mind that there's been no mention of these coming out on Switch other than a vague "we'll see if there's a demand" statement from S-E. I guess I have no real data to back it up, but it seems like FF would probably kill on Switch. I've probably bought FF4 or the remake on at least three or four different consoles at this point, lol.

I feel like the Switch is absolutely the best home for these games and should have been the first stop. I bought the ones I wanted on PC but I kept thinking how much better they'd feel on switch tbh.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Are these the good versions or the poo poo versions? I think they took down a bunch of basic but functional ports of the games from steam then added the 'remasters' which at least for FF8 was broken in some major way.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

pentyne posted:

Are these the good versions or the poo poo versions? I think they took down a bunch of basic but functional ports of the games from steam then added the 'remasters' which at least for FF8 was broken in some major way.

Pixel Remasters have been good. They are basically just the original games with some upgraded music/sprites.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

You can mod out the clashing font, and everything else works.

FF3 is strongly recommended because it's the first official 2d version of the game to be released to the west.

gently caress that 3d remake. No checkpoints my rear end.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Honestly as long as the game has a turbo function I couldn't care about outdated graphics.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There is a turbo, minimap, save anywhere, and treasure checklist.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
losing my poo poo at the fire emblem echoes hd texture pack

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Looks like a mobile game ad

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Levantine posted:

I feel like the Switch is absolutely the best home for these games and should have been the first stop.

But if they were available on the Switch now, they couldn't sell them to you a second time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Looks like a mobile game ad

Come slay, my Lord