Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Hogama posted:

Regarding the character names in Endwalker, As far as I've seen, ヴェーネス, Veenesu, is not meant to be the same name as ビーナス, Biinesu; the "e"s in the former's romaji are still short e (eh) sounds. Venat != Venus.

This only is true if you assume the Japanese writers don't understand the different spellings and have no idea what word play or a pun is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Aerith, the God of War.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Charles Get-Out posted:

I don't know, FF uses a lot of nonstandard classical name localizations, for instance ハーデス for Hades rather than ハデス or ハーデース. I realize ヴェーネス is a little more extreme than the Hades differences, but it's basically a vowel-shifted form of ヴィーナス that shows up as the "English reading" of the goddess' name a lot. Feels like a "both" situation where it's classical name & prior FF references combined.

ハーデースナーツー

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Nut sacks are canon, checks out.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This reminds me of a time when I pointed out that 2ch (2 channel) could be read as a pun on nii-chan(nel) and then an acquaintance of mine scoffed and said, "no, that's stupid, ni and nii are not the same word, one has an extra syllable in japanese." Then someone else posted a satirical magazine cover that, in japanese, had among a number of dumb jokes on it, proclaimed that the owners of 2ch were branching off with a new site for older women named oba-channel.

Basically, if you don't think that people are capable of playing around with their own language then that's a mighty strong misconception you've there.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Runa posted:

This reminds me of a time when I pointed out that 2ch (2 channel) could be read as a pun on nii-chan(nel) and then an acquaintance of mine scoffed and said, "no, that's stupid, ni and nii are not the same word, one has an extra syllable in japanese." Then someone else posted a satirical magazine cover that, in japanese, had among a number of dumb jokes on it, proclaimed that the owners of 2ch were branching off with a new site for older women named oba-channel.

Basically, if you don't think that people are capable of playing around with their own language then that's a mighty strong misconception you've there.
On the other hand, it's not really a claim that 2ch is a pun on nee-chan(nel) because that's what the sister site is for.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hogama posted:

On the other hand, it's not really a claim that 2ch is a pun on nee-chan(nel) because that's what the sister site is for.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hogama posted:

:negative:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

well i guess we know one of koji fox's aliases now

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i absolutely loving hate that i get so physically stressed out in frontlines the moment the fight starts

not least because it's frustrating that i do that when i absolutely do not give a poo poo about actually winning; but also that's a huge xp chunk to miss out on over something so stupid

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

p3s is so loving hard. but we're progressing into firestorms/elmo, by god. thanks for reading my post.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The xp difference between winning and losing a Frontline is irrelevant, don't stress out, just follow your group around and shoot people

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

you misunderstand; i know the xp doesn't change, and choosing whether or not to stress out is a luxury i do not possess (hence aforesaid frustration)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 9, 2022

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

World War Mammories posted:

p3s is so loving hard. but we're progressing into firestorms/elmo, by god. thanks for reading my post.

That fight makes me incredibly Mad Online At Video Games, it's absurd.

It doesn't help that I can't really mitigate any of the fuckups as a healer. It's exceedingly binary to the point of infuriation.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

P3S is the usual pain point for our reclears, but that's usually because we like to shuffle up roles for 1-3 and we basically relearn the fight from scratch.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

For my group it seemed like we got one mechanic sorted per lockout. Firestorms is basically the last challenging mechanic, and if you’ve got the dance down solid up to that point, you’re in the home stretch.

We one shot p1s and p2s and got p3s on our second pull tonight. Parsed a 90 on p1s as war with a 590 weapon and ilevel 589 which felt really nice.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

The xp difference between winning and losing a Frontline is irrelevant, don't stress out, just follow your group around and shoot people
But winning gets you progress on mount and glam rewards, which makes it utterly essential

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

on our last pull of the week we had a 5% enrage on p3s with 6 deaths. feeling good about a clear this week.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Starting to have some trouble with BLM at higher levels (still only 60), mainly because I find myself looking at the crossbars a lot due to the cast times, skill procs, and MP (since MP dictates when you switch between fire and ice). It's the only casting job I've spent much time on with gamepad so far (though I've done some leveling with Astrologer/WHM).

King of Solomon posted:

Just out of curiosity, why did you opt to do this instead of NG+?

It feels different for some reason to actually be leveling up while doing the quests (and to be able to more "organically" unlock them instead of selecting them from the NG+ options, which seems to be how that works).

It's also a good excuse to try a different character appearance without a fantasia. That's not enough of a reason for an alt on its own, but it helps.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 9, 2022

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Level 58 in Eureka. I will be an orb catgirl soon.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

hazardousmouse posted:

I can't handle having my rotation truncated, really messes with my button press memorization

As BRD when you sync down 90% of the time you have the same buttons to press they're just worse. I dunno if this is a good or bad thing

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
feeling good about clearing p4s tomorrow. Tonight after reclears we cleaned up act 2 and act 3 to a close to 100% success rate, and managed to get act 4 pretty well down even with late night sludge brains. the second time we ever saw finale seven of us did it perfectly. Curtain call seems relatively easy

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Elmo method is cursed, by the way. My group attempted it several times and only started to get through tornado phase consistently once we abandoned it. But once you're past that, there's really only one other major mechanic and you're home free (other than the Relaxation Trap Gloryplume).

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah I very much prefer Tuufless/Ilya to Elmo strat personally.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the tank invuln strat looks way harder. It's not like there's a ton of damage there, and the positions are completely static. Seems a lot more finicky for no gain

idk what the strat is named but this is close to what we do:

the image is slightly wrong--the boss faces south so the ne and nw dps (melees) can hit positionals.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 9, 2022

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

As BRD when you sync down 90% of the time you have the same buttons to press they're just worse. I dunno if this is a good or bad thing

It feels so bad. Bard’s entire gimmick is RNG procs, and a lot of the upgrades you pick up along the way either increase the rate of them or provide a way to guarantee one. Going from a 35% proc rate on Straight Shot down to 20% doesn’t sound like much, but when the core mechanic is “press a different button when it flashes” then getting to do that half as often makes everything feel sluggish.

When you get synced down enough that you don’t have Iron Jaws or all three songs then that just makes things worse. Same with losing oGCDs, because at some point you wind up with a lot of dead space where you’re just hitting 1 over and over and hoping for a proc so you can hit 2.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I didn't know what it was called, but today I learned that my static uses Elmo strat. As a DPS it doesn't seem very cursed, just kind of stand there while support does their thing.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

This is the strat that I usually use.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

blastron posted:

It feels so bad. Bard’s entire gimmick is RNG procs, and a lot of the upgrades you pick up along the way either increase the rate of them or provide a way to guarantee one. Going from a 35% proc rate on Straight Shot down to 20% doesn’t sound like much, but when the core mechanic is “press a different button when it flashes” then getting to do that half as often makes everything feel sluggish.

When you get synced down enough that you don’t have Iron Jaws or all three songs then that just makes things worse. Same with losing oGCDs, because at some point you wind up with a lot of dead space where you’re just hitting 1 over and over and hoping for a proc so you can hit 2.

Oh god yes I wish they made all the songs available at 50, especially given how often Alliance syncs you down to 50. 2 Song bard is so boring although I think it is better in EW than it was in SHB? Because the songs are actually designed to let you overlap with the cooldowns they have now where in SHB I think you went songless for chunks of it.

I think as you level up BRD is a very fun learning curve because it gets busier and busier, until you realize at 90 you're juggling all these balls and it just feels really fun. But going back just feels like baby mode, it's the same job but easier. I dunno if that's worse than something like BLM though which straight up need to switch hotbars when they sync down

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Its time to do some healing for the very first time in the Heavensward LP

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Starting to have some trouble with BLM at higher levels (still only 60), mainly because I find myself looking at the crossbars a lot due to the cast times, skill procs, and MP (since MP dictates when you switch between fire and ice). It's the only casting job I've spent much time on with gamepad so far (though I've done some leveling with Astrologer/WHM).

I usually felt comfortable enough with the rhythm of a rotation after a dungeon or two at each stage of the leveling experience that looking down for MP became less of a problem

For ice at least B3>T3>B4 should always get you all MP back so you don’t have to pay attention and the rule of thumb of 3 F4 casts in a row is usually a good amount of time for me to check the status of the fight and plan out what’s next

If you haven’t already I’d rec looking up some rotations for the leveling experience with a WskAlber guide or w/e. It takes off some mental load since there’s a definite optimal series of buttons to press that you can use as a template

Procs also weirdly matter less as you level more since you can get to the point where you guarantee them whenever you’d care about them

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

we cleared the first time we got through firestorms without using a healer LB3, so you're very close assuming your dps isn't in shambles

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
My experience with p3s PF is that 90% of groups cannot kill the birds. It will be "FoF prog", we'll setup strats for FoF, and then we can't kill the birds. Often there's some inexplicable darkened fire prog before that, but the birds are the wall. Everyone can go into the add phase alive and without damage downs and the birds will still hurricane us into a new tomorrow. The small and big bird phases have the same DPS check: 4k DPS per person for 28 seconds and 55 seconds, respectively. Sometimes I can look at the DPS meter and see a problem - like one healer doing twice the damage of the other or a reaper sitting just above the tanks - but in every case the raid DPS has always been high enough overall, it's just not being applied to the birds in a timely manner. In the rare event that we kill the birds there's never enough mitigation to keep everybody alive through the big AOE, we lose 1-2 people on it, and domino, but we occasionally limp into FoA if a healer is able to drop a timely LB3.

at this point in the PF prog cycle I probably need to just suck it up and join a static.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I think some dps might be holding their burst during add phase because they want to look like a chad on the lumberjack website.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Here’s what our static does:

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Mymla posted:

I think some dps might be holding their burst during add phase because they want to look like a chad on the lumberjack website.

probably, but there's legitimate reasons to hold your burst during adds. the re-opener after add phase can be stronger than your opener if you come into it with gauges partially or completely filled and the correct tincture timing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
That’s why I love warrior. I’ll use inner release right before the big birds spawn and either get both my birds to near half life before tethers or if I need to stand next to one I’ll just onload on it individually and knock it down to 20% hp or so before it dashes. Inner release is then off cooldown right as phionix is targetable again.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mymla posted:

It can be this, with some DPS trying to hold *everything* for the potion window as the boss returns, so they try to kill the birds with nothing but basic 123 combo poo poo. Part of getting through that phase is knowing what you can spend, and when, so that the birds die and you have it back in time for your opener. And trusting that the rest of the party isn't slacking in the hopes that you'll cover for them.

And then sometimes those PF players are actual garbage and will never make it past the adds without being carried.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

i found the worst parsing sage in a p3n clear, they were in my party. was wondering why that NDR was taking so long.

their contributions in damage consisted of a singular auto-attack for 37 damage. 37 damage, not dps. their dps was .1

https://www.fflogs.com/reports/7GntfBzCTXFxLNMc/#fight=last&type=damage-done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I've seen clean as a whistle true 0 parses. Shamefully sloppy to let an auto get out like that.