Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Darth Walrus posted:

Good thread from 2020 on stuff the Conservatives have yet to wheel out against Starmer:

https://twitter.com/ciabaudo/status/1246784176990404610?s=21

Just to be devil's advocate.. is it possible to have that job and not have an enormous skeleton closet packed to the brim with failings of various kinds?

No idea if it is comparable but Kamala Harris has this problem in the US where she was likely the most progressive DA that the system spat out ever but is constantly attacked about poo poo she could have done.

I don't want to derail into details about her. But it's not like public prosecuters have unlimited power they are pretty beholden right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps that is a good argument against electing a guy like that as leader of the labour party. It's not like you have to vote for the coplord in chief.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

People with tattoos are cool and awesome and also sexy

However I would like to declare a conflict of interest related to this post,

Tattoos seem cool & good. I am pro-tattoo. Although I'll be honest & admit that I have a kind of visceral reaction to people with tattoos on the neck & face, (& I'm talking solely Brits doing it rather than people from a culture where it has cultural/spiritual meaning like the Maori) it's also exceedingly not my business. It's a dumb thing to even hold an opinion on & yet I do, I blame liberals.

I don't have a conflict of interest because I've never actually gotten one because I've yet to come across a design I'd want permanently inked on myself.

jiggerypokery posted:

Just to be devil's advocate.. is it possible to have that job and not have an enormous skeleton closet packed to the brim with failings of various kinds?

No idea if it is comparable but Kamala Harris has this problem in the US where she was likely the most progressive DA that the system spat out ever but is constantly attacked about poo poo she could have done.

I don't want to derail into details about her. But it's not like public prosecuters have unlimited power they are pretty beholden right?

I agree, it's unlikely you can be a public prosecutor & a good person.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

jiggerypokery posted:

Part of this issue is the public have widely different views on what they want from Justice and the Law (which are two different concepts.)

Poll a dozen people and you will likely get two dozen different opinions on what a countries justice system should be doing.
(We are prosecuting too many people, we need to look at other options!
We are too permissive of crime, we need a zero tolerance approach!
These are some of the opinions you will get.)

To further complicate matters people's personal experiences can cloud their judgment.
(I was wrongly targeted by the legal system, we shouldn't go after anyone!
I was the victim of a crime, they should all burn.)

And that's before you run into the issue that you have people who take a "it's simple, you only prosecute the guilty. How hard could it be Michael?" approach to what is involved in a job like that.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

forkboy84 posted:

I agree, it's unlikely you can be a public prosecutor & a good person.
Like being Home Secretary. But does the job turn you into an authoritarian piece of poo poo, or is it a job that only an authoritarian piece of poo poo would want?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would suggest that also "the justice system is inherently bad and incapable of actually delivering justice because it is primarily concerned with entrenching the power of the state and capital and has been for as long as it has existed and also all the people writing legislation approach it from that angle and also all the people at the top of it got there by supporting that aspect of it" is the other, larger part of the problem.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
in the us there are DAs who are pushing hard for reforms of some form like krasner but the cops actively fight back and cry on the news every day about it

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I don't approve of tattoos, they're horrid.

you're horrid

edit: unless you're referring to that weird russian duo from 20 years ago in which case :hmmyes:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I always wanted a tattoo when I was a kid and teenager, when it still had a slight sense of danger about it (quite literally as we're talking late 80s/early 90s when hygiene at tattoo parlors was not the greatest). Thing is my dad was in the navy so was covered with them so that knocked a lot of the rebellious appeal off. And my dad's descriptions of getting his done with split bamboo in various ports around the world both made me realise I definitely didn't want that sort of pain and also - while he'd never *say* it - he'd definitely judge me if I had it done with a gun in a living room in Stepney.

Also I realised that I've never actually cared about anything enough that I'd want it attached to my body permanently. I mean if I'd had one done on my 16th birthday like my mate had his first one done it'd *definitely* have been something Guns N Roses related... and Use Your Illusion came out like a month after my 16th.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Payndz posted:

Like being Home Secretary. But does the job turn you into an authoritarian piece of poo poo, or is it a job that only an authoritarian piece of poo poo would want?

while I'm a Yank, it is my impression that being appointed Home Secretary immediately turns moderately terrible people into authoritarian lunatics obsessed with keeping the Deep Ones from invading England's green and pleasant land

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You don't get to the top of politics without living a life so wildly disconnected from normal people that you are fundamentally incapable of understanding what life is like for them, and especially what it's like being on the receiving end of brilliant government ideas.

Doubly so for loving cops.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's a train of thought that access to the secret files turns you full Reds (or contemporary equivalent) Under The Bed but many Home Secretaries have gone all in against things made up almost entirely by the tabloid press when access to 'secret knowledge' like asking a police commissioner "did this actually happen?" would have been much easier, so yeah I'm going for it being some kind of Skinner box where you're given access to a bunch of civil service reports, a button marked 'ban', and a completely detached coffee morning crowd.

e: And in David Blunkett's case one marked 'deploy troops' that just makes a fart sound.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

bump_fn posted:

in the us there are DAs who are pushing hard for reforms of some form like krasner but the cops actively fight back and cry on the news every day about it

Yeah, let's not look at the USA for examples of how the justice system can be reformed.
The UK system is by no means even good, but at least we don't allow unqualified yahoos to be judges or district attorneys just because they've been able to remortgage their house to afford a couple of low-budget TV commercials.

Obviously Cameron brought in PCCs, but those cunts have no real power and are just there to provide Westminster with a baseline of voter turnout against which they can compare every Local or General Election, and declare a 21% turnout a "success".

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

GreyjoyBastard posted:

while I'm a Yank, it is my impression that being appointed Home Secretary immediately turns moderately terrible people into authoritarian lunatics obsessed with keeping the Deep Ones from invading England's green and pleasant land

In the lifetime of my parents (oldest of whom was born in '53) there's been 2 Home Secretaries who didn't have dogshit authoritarian urges, Roy Jenkins in the '60s & again in the mid '70s and Ken Clarke in the early '90s. 1 Labour, 1 Tory in 70 years.

I definitely think the department civil service has something to say for that but also politicians just think authoritarian bullshit is popular. Probably right too.

Everyone of the New Labour Home Secs were loving disasters.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

WhatEvil posted:

I'm waiting for them to also bring up how Starmer was head of the DPP when it was decided to let John Worboys (who raped Carrie Johnson) avoid further charges.

They're probably keeping that one in the back pocket for the next election... but then I thought that about the Savile thing. Turns out there just needed to be a sufficiently large crisis for such a big dead cat I guess.

Carrie has said she doesn't know if he raped her or not, only that she was drugged by him and can't remember anything else. Not that it really changes much, it's still an awful thing to have happened and it will undoubtedly still be used as ammo. The Rotherham paedo gangs hasn't had much of an airing yet either, I'd expect that at some point.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

In the lifetime of my parents (oldest of whom was born in '53) there's been 2 Home Secretaries who didn't have dogshit authoritarian urges, Roy Jenkins in the '60s & again in the mid '70s and Ken Clarke in the early '90s. 1 Labour, 1 Tory in 70 years.

I met Roy Jenkins once; he was my MP in the eighties and visited my school for a Q&A with my Modern Studies class (I think, but see above about constructed memories). He was much redder (in complexion) than he appeared on TV, and was given a proper hard time by one of my lefty classmates who came prepared with a bunch of stuff about the treatment of people in NI during the seventies. He wasn't expecting it and had been a bit pompous to start with, so we quite enjoyed watching him get redder still.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I don't think that BLUE HADES is that interested in invading, more keeping us out of the oceans.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Angrymog posted:

I don't think that BLUE HADES is that interested in invading, more keeping us out of the oceans.

who knows what might happen when the time for CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN comes right

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Angrymog posted:

Well I say good luck with that! *flushes toilet smugly*

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

mediaphage posted:

who knows what might happen when the time for CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN comes right

I have some bad news for you.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lungboy posted:

Carrie has said she doesn't know if he raped her or not, only that she was drugged by him and can't remember anything else. Not that it really changes much, it's still an awful thing to have happened and it will undoubtedly still be used as ammo. The Rotherham paedo gangs hasn't had much of an airing yet either, I'd expect that at some point.

Werent some of the Labour front bench involved in that too?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Honestly looking forward to Johnson name dropping Warboys in parliament and talking about his wife. Partly because its an enjoyably easy attack to get right against Starmer, but also because I just know that despite the now years of time that New New Labour has had to prepare a response it'll be utter shite and no one will notice it.

Gorn Myson fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Feb 9, 2022

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

serious gaylord posted:

Werent some of the Labour front bench involved in that too?

The Rotherham rapes? Not that I can see, seems to have been the Labour council and police. I guess some of the councillors could now be MPs but I've got to scrub my brain for a while after reading articles about it this morning.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Totally passed me by until reading here that Carrie Symonds was one of Worboys victims. Awful for her, and almost certainly going to be dredged up in the upcoming press assault on Starmer.

He should resign now to be honest, because if Johnson survives to an election I can see him scraping a few more years in number 10.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

HopperUK posted:

Yep!

I saw Robocop at my uncles house when I was 7 and it gave me nightmares. Not any of the other gore, just this scene. When he puts the gun down but it won't stop anyway. Still gives me chills.

The scene was actually somewhat different and even more satirical. Kinney was still shot because ED-209 didn't hear the gun drop, but as originally written it didn't hear the gun drop because the carpet in the boardroom was so thick and luxurious that it muffled the noise. When it came to filming it didn't work properly, so the scene was reframed as it being a malfunction. It still works of course, but it no longer carries the undertone of the robot working perfectly but arresting rich people being outside its operational parameters.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1491163942886211584?t=4LjQoM8475Ka9tt8yZbx_w&s=19

drat, he'll never recover from this.

Also, Major always looked uncannily like his Spitting Image puppet, but now it's become difficult to differentiate

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Return of the £36,000 Avocados
https://twitter.com/AvaSantina/status/1491035027467128835

You'd think people would have learned not to spend that much on avos after the first ten times they were warned.

also lol
https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1491054521086525442

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
The man who set up a decoy mistress and then sued for libel so he could shag Edwina Currie is a moral arbiter of the nation

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
David Cameron hosed the wooden duck.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Guavanaut posted:

Return of the £36,000 Avocados
https://twitter.com/AvaSantina/status/1491035027467128835

You'd think people would have learned not to spend that much on avos after the first ten times they were warned.

These numbers do not make sense. Does the article mention any other source of their deposit?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

As pointed out in one of the replies, their post tax income (21k and 22k net respectively) adds up pretty much exactly to their deposit. So either they literally weren't spending a penny of their own money, or it's just completely made up.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You need to read between the lines.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Even if that's true, you shouldn't have to have a Spartan existence to be able to afford a home.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Gambrinus posted:

Even if that's true, you shouldn't have to have a Spartan existence to be able to afford a home.

but if people aren’t poor and homeless due to their own personal failings then i might have to think about how the system which has personally benefited me might be dwelt cruel and evil

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Lol I've been living like an aesetic monk for about five years and have only now scraped together what she claims to have saved in one year.

Like it's totally possible to save for a deposit if you are willing to cut spending to the bare bones. I just wish these articles would be honest about that.

They only ever seem to highlight the stories of "I paid cash for a house and live mortgage free at 20 by cutting out avocados and getting a 200k loan gift from my dad.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Feb 9, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Glad I have a partner I could buy with, otherwise...seems implausible

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I read one a few days ago quoting an article saying you could cut a few things. but in the example they gave, even after stripping things to the bone, the 10% increase in house prices over the last year would have left you further behind your target saving than when you started.
They estimated saving £2,100 in a year, but the amount needed for a deposit went up by £2,200....

I'm so glad I got my place during the recession - It went up £100k in the first five years and looks to have gone up another 70K in the last 5. While is is great for me mortgage wise, it shows how hard it is for people to get on the market!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's a sure sign of a sick market that "my house went up £50k without me even doing anything" is seen as a universal good, even if it can't be liquidated without having to get another house that has also gone up (or rent or equity release), rather than a concern about how someone is even supposed to get on board that market.

Love too live in a ape jpeg

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

It's a sure sign of a sick market that "my house went up £50k without me even doing anything" is seen as a universal good, even if it can't be liquidated without having to get another house that has also gone up (or rent or equity release), rather than a concern about how someone is even supposed to get on board that market.

Love too live in a ape jpeg

All true. The one thin silver lining I guess is for olds who are downsizing, since the delta between [Big House Price]-[Granny Flat Price] will be bigger and leave them with a larger disposable income

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

All true. The one thin silver lining I guess is for olds who are downsizing, since the delta between [Big House Price]-[Granny Flat Price] will be bigger and leave them with a larger disposable income

The problem being that most of them aren't downsizing. They're living in their Big House until they have to go into a home, and then their Big House is sold to a landlord to pay the care bills. The people living in the granny flats are young couples who can't afford a real house.