Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

teen witch posted:

On one hand, gently caress this dude for being the coward. I might not disown a kid over it, but I’d probably end up making them wish for it.

On the other, anyone willing to just go “nah don’t feel like parenting cya” should not be a parent of any child, disabled or otherwise. Hell, ban them from owning anything more demanding than a spider plant.

At the very least the fucker should pay his share of the cost of parenting, regardless of if he is in the child's life or not.

Edit: New page tax:

AITA for telling a student he's not really English?
I am a british- american woman. I am very proud of both my nationalities, and have lived in America most of my life and spent a couple months abroad in England. I’m now a teacher in America.

There’s an Arab-British kid in my class now, who claims he spent 12 years in the UK, and is very much a “loud and proud” brit. He often refuses to say he’s from his country, and instead says he’s English.

Personally, as a real woman with ties to the UK, I really don't think he’s English. He has an accent which I just can’t place. It’s like an amalgamation of the classic Scottish accent, pompous English accent, lower class English accent, and his natural arabian accent, which he’s clearly trying to cover up. When I questioned him about it he spun a wild tale about how the area of London he lived in, apparently “Brent”, which has a mixture of working class and upper class people, along with immigrants, and a bunch of Scots, which is why his accent is so odd.

To Be honest, I get it, a brown kid in America, 9/11 and all that Jazz, I get why he felt he needed to mask his natural accent and identity, but this kid clearly has never been to the UK. I let him know he didn’t have to worry about it, and told him it’s ok to have a middle eastern accent. He got very rude with me, snapping at me saying I was out of line and from then on I have really wanted to put him in his place, and sort of catch him out.

Recently I was teaching about slang terms for business products, and I decided to call on this kid and ask him what they use to clean the floors in the UK. For those of you who aren’t British, we call vacuums “Hoovers” and basically nobody calls it a vacuum.

He was confused and clearly fumbling, getting the attention of the rest of the class with some stutters. Eventually I told him “the thing that sucks stuff up” and he said “vacuums”. I obviously told him that they were called Hoovers in the UK and that any real Brit would know that, so maybe he should stop pretending.

He got flustered and began tearing up and walked out, I knew I’d gone too far. I tried to apologise but he was again very rude when I approached him during lunch. Some of my co-teachers told me it’s ok and one told me to post on here.

Personally, I think I’m TA, though only slightly. AITA?

edgeman83 fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

edgeman83 posted:

At the very least the fucker should pay his share of the cost of parenting, regardless of if he is in the child's life or not.

Edit: New page tax:

I am a british- american woman. I am very proud of both my nationalities, and have lived in America most of my life and spent a couple months abroad in England. I’m now a teacher in America.

There’s an Arab-British kid in my class now, who claims he spent 12 years in the UK, and is very much a “loud and proud” brit. He often refuses to say he’s from his country, and instead says he’s English.

Personally, as a real woman with ties to the UK, I really don't think he’s English. He has an accent which I just can’t place. It’s like an amalgamation of the classic Scottish accent, pompous English accent, lower class English accent, and his natural arabian accent, which he’s clearly trying to cover up. When I questioned him about it he spun a wild tale about how the area of London he lived in, apparently “Brent”, which has a mixture of working class and upper class people, along with immigrants, and a bunch of Scots, which is why his accent is so odd.

To Be honest, I get it, a brown kid in America, 9/11 and all that Jazz, I get why he felt he needed to mask his natural accent and identity, but this kid clearly has never been to the UK. I let him know he didn’t have to worry about it, and told him it’s ok to have a middle eastern accent. He got very rude with me, snapping at me saying I was out of line and from then on I have really wanted to put him in his place, and sort of catch him out.

Recently I was teaching about slang terms for business products, and I decided to call on this kid and ask him what they use to clean the floors in the UK. For those of you who aren’t British, we call vacuums “Hoovers” and basically nobody calls it a vacuum.

He was confused and clearly fumbling, getting the attention of the rest of the class with some stutters. Eventually I told him “the thing that sucks stuff up” and he said “vacuums”. I obviously told him that they were called Hoovers in the UK and that any real Brit would know that, so maybe he should stop pretending.

He got flustered and began tearing up and walked out, I knew I’d gone too far. I tried to apologise but he was again very rude when I approached him during lunch. Some of my co-teachers told me it’s ok and one told me to post on here.

Personally, I think I’m TA, though only slightly. AITA?

Proud 2b White

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Invisible Clergy posted:

Like most food weirdness, probably a result of mistreatment in childhood. I know someone who ate food slowly as a defense mechanism because his dad would steal food off his plate. If he ate slowly enough, it became cold and unappetizing so it didn't get stolen.

Oh hey, I eat super fast almost always because my dad would also steal my food and "race" me. This became less of a thing after I eventually vomited massive chunks of KFC chicken into a motel sink and my stepmom had to clean it up. I guess she didn't want a repeat performance?

I still eat fast though and I usually have to look at other people's plates and try and pace myself so I don't look too weird.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
That kids more English than her.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

edgeman83 posted:

I am a british- american woman. I am very proud of both my nationalities, and have lived in America most of my life and spent a couple months abroad in England (snip)

Aww gently caress yes this is the poo poo I crave

(‘Hoover’ as a generic name was on its way out even back in the 1990s, there’s no such thing as a ‘classic Scottish’ or a single ‘lower class English’ accent, and the mish-mash of different accents she describes is quite commonplace where kids have grown up around multiple communities)

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

StrangersInTheNight posted:

That plain spaghetti noodles stuff is aggression, if someone stopped me from making food then served me that I'd be pissed

Not even butter and cheese on them? Just plain loving noodles???

There's an angle to it though, there's no mention of how young the kids are.

If his wife has or has had her hands full with kids and has built up resentment over a real or imagined perception that the time difference between making relatively elaborate meals and just do whatever is quickest would be better spent giving her a break, it would explain it to some extent. Not excuse it though, just explain it.

It was a source of conflict when my own kid was very little. I preferred to spend a couple of hours each Sunday to cook a large batch of whatever to have leftovers for the coming days, while my wife felt otherwise.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

AITA for purchasing an old articulated bus and parking it in my driveway?

Motor home? That'll be a motor palace. Those things are enormous. This seems like a massively impractical project all round, where tf you gonna park that monster?

Not surprised he struggled to fit it in the driveway.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

it dont matter posted:

Motor home? That'll be a motor palace. Those things are enormous. This seems like a massively impractical project all round, where tf you gonna park that monster?

Not surprised he struggled to fit it in the driveway.

Park it next to the edge of a cliff. You'll be fine until the T-Rex shows up.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
AITA for wanting to file my taxes separately after my husband told me he wants a divorce?

quote:

I (30f) and my husband (33m) have been together for pretty much the past decade.

He has always had tax issues because he is an independent contractor. He doesn’t keep track of his purchases, doesn’t put money aside, and doesn’t pay in an orderly fashion. I have always been an employee and have always filed on time and gotten my refund.

He informed me the other day that he is unhappy, doesn’t feel the same, isn’t willing to work on it, and wants to separate. He also informed me he didn’t want to get married in the first place, he only did it because I wanted to and he would get tax benefits from it.

So I go to file our taxes together last year (for the first time) and come to find out, his mother (who has always prepared and always messed up his taxes) messed up his 2019 taxes and they never got filed. So I still have not filed 2020 taxes.

I am thinking about now filing 2020 late, and separately and filing my 2021 taxes separately as well.
The refund I would be getting this year would be a massive help in getting me back on my feet because I have sunk every bit of savings I have to go back to school. (I am changing careers with the intent on having a better job with benefits for both of us, but I guess just me now.)

Is filing independently a mean thing to do? I feel like he would be furious if I did it but I also feel like if he wants us to get a divorce eventually, why would I be expected to file taxes with him?

I’m actively trying to better myself being in therapy so I’m trying to see things from his point of view but I also feel like I have to start putting myself first.

A collection of OPs comments

quote:

Oh I know. They’ve been after him before and it almost broke me then. And that was years ago. And he wonders why I was scared to file taxes with him…

Yeah he definitely blamed pretty much everything on me. Mind you I was struggling with undiagnosed depression for years, so I know I was not a great partner by any means but him saying that really just solidified my acceptance of our relationship being done.

He said it multiple times in our “separation discussion” last night. That he held resentment for me because he didn’t want to get married. Like bro, no one held a gun to your head. I never gave him an ultimatum or anything of the sort.

See I’m scared of his mother doing something like this. He always had her file his taxes because she would lie and make him have to pay less.

Yeah she’s not. She worked at H&R Block like one tax season years ago so she thinks she’s qualified…

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

comforthawk posted:

she's got a man who's actively trying to take care of his feet and she is squandering that miracle smh

I'm terrified to ask about his rear end wiping routine. My feet aren't the greatest but if I took a loving grater to them it would be a blood bath.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

keep punching joe posted:

That kids more English than her.

Anyone really English would definitely avoid any kind of confrontation like that.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

DoctorTristan posted:

Aww gently caress yes this is the poo poo I crave

(‘Hoover’ as a generic name was on its way out even back in the 1990s, there’s no such thing as a ‘classic Scottish’ or a single ‘lower class English’ accent, and the mish-mash of different accents she describes is quite commonplace where kids have grown up around multiple communities)

It's almost as if OP is just making up reasons why this guy isn't a "real" british person because she's racist or something.

Imagine someone taking pride in the idea of being English.

teen witch posted:

AITA for wanting to file my taxes separately after my husband told me he wants a divorce?

A collection of OPs comments

"Should I file taxes with my husband who openly tells me he doesn't pay his taxes, legally binding me to him forever and being at risk of fines and imprisonment for tax evasion?"

Yes. Do it. See what happens.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Barudak posted:

Dude doesn't realize it aint got poo poo to do with London and that also he's single now

Idgi. Is this some sort of breakup power move where you make a transparently impossible demand so you can justify dumping someone when they don't go along with it?

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

edgeman83 posted:

A tourist telling a british citizen he isnt english, thats funny.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'd move overseas for Tom Holland. He's adorable and I want to carry him everywhere in my pocket.

When did Zendaya buy an account?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

empty sea posted:

I'm terrified to ask about his rear end wiping routine. My feet aren't the greatest but if I took a loving grater to them it would be a blood bath.

What do you use on your butt?

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Invisible Clergy posted:

Imagine someone taking pride in the idea of being English.

We call those "Godawful loving Tory bastards" round here.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What do you use on your butt?

A rassp

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Captain Fargle posted:

We call those "Godawful loving Tory bastards" round here.

I know, but the concept is still ridiculous and they are worthy of scorn and derision.

AITA for not wanting my son to date his step brother ?

quote:

My son Nate and Luke (my BF’s son) are 22.

When Nate was 12 his father and I divorced and I moved to a new neighborhood where Luke lived. They went to different schools and my ex and I shared custody so at first they weren't very close.

When they were around 14 they grew closer and at 16 they became inseparabble. They went to the same extracuricular activities, had sleep over at my ex’s place… Nate was always following him around and I used to make fun of him and joke that he had a crush.

When they finished high school they went to different universities and they lost sight of each other.

During Nate’s first year he came out to me and it led to an argument because I learned that his father knew for years. I thought it was unfair for me. Nate involved his fater and it blew out of proportions. After that Nate decided to come less at home and as his father had moved he had no reasons to come back to our town. I only saw him a few times a year.

The summer of 2020 he decided to try to mend things and he came to stay a few weeks. During this summer he saw Luke again and they reconnected. I know that during the next year they kept talking but Nate refused to tell me more.

This summer Nate came back for a couple of weeks and during this time I learned that Luke was switching uni and was going to be in the same city as Nate.

Now the issue: Luke’s dad came to see me because he wanted to visit his son and he needed some advices. After that we grew closer, went on a few dates and now we are kind of seeing each other.

During Christmas Nate and Luke came back together and I realised that they grew closer than before. They stayed only a few days because they had to go see Nate’s dad.

After their stay I felt like I was missing something.

Because of that I tried to gather some info about their relationship and I told Nate that i was seeing Luke’s father in january. He said ok and I moved on. Now 2 days ago Luke’s dad showed me a picture of our sons that Luke send him because they went away for the week end.

Because of that I decided to call Nate yesterday to clarify some things. I told him that I thought he was getting too close to Luke and that he had the same behaviour he used to have when he was a teenager with a crush : always following Luke around and doing everything to try to get himslef noticed. I explained to him that it was maybe cute when he was younger but now that Luke was his step brother he should stop trying to make their relationship romantic.

Nate got upset and he hung up. Later his dad called and told me that I was treating our son like a kid and that I was not taking his feeling into account and that I was selfish.

I don’t think I am in the wrong, me and Luke’s father are both adults and at my age I know what I want of a relationship and it’s harder for me to find someone. Nate is young and what he has is more a long term crush. I feel like my relationship should come first.
"Stepbrother, what are you doing?"

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
I just noticed she put Brent in quotes like she thinks it’s a made-up place.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

DoctorTristan posted:

I just noticed she put Brent in quotes like she thinks it’s a made-up place.

No wonder he was cross

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Invisible Clergy posted:

I know, but the concept is still ridiculous and they are worthy of scorn and derision.

It's okay to be proud of where you come from so long as you're not a dick about it. Arab dude is proud of being British, that's perfectly cool and good, white woman is a loving bitch for trying to gatekeep.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

datajugend posted:

A tourist telling a british citizen he isnt english, thats funny.

A stark change from the insult that is telling a british citizen they are english.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
She's lucky she's not in the UK because these days if you say you're English, you get arrested and thrown in jail.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

keep punching joe posted:

She's lucky she's not in the UK because these days if you say you're English, you get arrested and thrown in jail.

You can prove anything with facts.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Idgi. Is this some sort of breakup power move where you make a transparently impossible demand so you can justify dumping someone when they don't go along with it?

Either a) she is actually crazy enough that this is the break point where he can't help her achieve her insane dreams or b) he has never really expressed interest in her (see his hrmm response) and she's thinking at 27 she maybe should just cut and run from the splitting rent on a 700 a month apartment life. Either way it sounds over and its not London specifically

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

sullat posted:

I mean it's pretty clear that UPS is the rear end in a top hat here because they insist on unrealistic timeframes for package delivery and use those one-size fits all trucks instead of smaller postal trucks for narrow streets.

My town has a bunch of neighborhoods with those loving awful narrow streets 'Oh so cars slow down'. Instead it makes a loving obstacle course where you're nearly knocking mirrors off constantly with a regular-width vehicle let alone a truck, or little kids jumping out of nowhere with no gap between you and the parked cars. And you have to wait turns for opposing traffic like a loving vaudeville act.

gently caress them. I hope the UPS guy parks blocking an intersection and walks every package to each house on the four intersecting blocks for five minutes.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

The ‘sowing/reaping’ tweet, but with ‘ordering 200 individually shipped sex arses’ and ‘having to wait behind the delivery driver for 15 seconds’

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

I was asking empty sea you nosy little duckfucker.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for not wanting my son to date his step brother ?

"Stepbrother, what are you doing?"

She isn't even dating this man yet and she wants her son to break up with his long term boyfriend because they might end up as step brothers in the future. I wonder why they got divorced in the first place, but dear god she's narcissistic as hell.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Barudak posted:

Either a) she is actually crazy enough that this is the break point where he can't help her achieve her insane dreams or b) he has never really expressed interest in her (see his hrmm response) and she's thinking at 27 she maybe should just cut and run from the splitting rent on a 700 a month apartment life. Either way it sounds over and its not London specifically

I prolly woulda gone 'hmm' or some variation of confused/distracted if the idea of just somehow buying a house in london on whim came up while I was in the middle of driving. Like if it had been a thing mentiined before but it seems like she sprang it on him from nowhere and then got upset that he didn't immidiately jump for joy or something.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Kurieg posted:

She isn't even dating this man yet and she wants her son to break up with his long term boyfriend because they might end up as step brothers in the future. I wonder why they got divorced in the first place, but dear god she's narcissistic as hell.

My gut instinct is she started courting the dad in order to pull this exact stunt and keep them apart. She seems kinda obsessed with their relationship, with the 'teasing' (shaming her son for showing same-sex affection) and outsized reaction to being told he is gay and wasn't out to her. She seems really focused on the idea it's not appropriate for them to be together romantically and only ok for them to be friends. Does she subconsciously think by keeping these two specifically separated, she's keeping his gayness at bay? I wonder how she'd react if her son ever showed interest in anyone else?

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 9, 2022

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I wonder how she'd react if her son ever showed interest in anyone else?

look, do you know how hard it is to juggle simultaneous relationships with the father of everyone in your son's life who has expressed romantic interest??

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Into the acid vat with her.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA Refusing to allow some kids a pony ride? ... All hell breaks loose

quote:

Long story short I(f43) have owned my horse for over 20years after rescuing her from a knackery as a 4 month old foal (story in itself). I keep her in a huge field 24/7 with other horses and she is the absolute apple of my eye. I don't mind people saying hi to her over the fence, we live in the suburbs so obviously it's going to happen. What I HATE is how my mother keeps offering her friends grandkids pony rides. Neither my horse or I are kid uh...people. I'm sick of showing up at the property to be met with a gaggle of kids expecting a pony ride. I've laid down the law and told mum no more. She EXPLODED at me but I've stayed firm. I spoke to the property owner because I worry mum will just show up and try to give the kids a pony ride without my supervision. He agreed it's a liability and has marked her as not allowed on the property without me there. Yesterday he called me saying she was there with 12 KIDS. 12! And going off her rocker because he wouldn't allow her on the property. I spoke to her on his phone and told her to bugger off and NEVER try this rubbish again. Since then I've had to block her and most of my family because omg the flying monkeys and screaming about how I'm over privledged, selfish, and a child hating monster... I don't think I was wrong, but it's starting to really get to me. Was I the AH?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

sootikins posted:

I don't care if this one's fake, it's funny

AITA For not "toning down" my relationship?

I'm gonna say ESH to some extent. Maybe I'm just overly vanilla, but "wearing a fetish item 24/7" strikes me as opening you up to some weird situations, but mom and the family were clearly trying to start some poo poo forcing their way into the house they knew had a non-zero chance of significant fetish items being out in the open.

Dik Hz posted:

Some family lawyers have an rear end in a top hat rate that makes up for dealing with that poo poo, if they even entertain taking the case. Most won’t.

A lot won't because it can border on unethical; my understanding is that you're not supposed to take cases that you know have no chance based on settled law.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Neito posted:

I'm gonna say ESH to some extent. Maybe I'm just overly vanilla, but "wearing a fetish item 24/7" strikes me as opening you up to some weird situations, but mom and the family were clearly trying to start some poo poo forcing their way into the house they knew had a non-zero chance of significant fetish items being out in the open.

Yeah, I'm kinda curious what led to the entire extended family plus kids showing up together at a house they weren't invited to. Were they going to stage a bdsm intervention?

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
Even if my immediate family just showed up at my house uninvited I wouldn't let them in unless they had a really good reason. Who the hell does that in this day and age?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Neito posted:

A lot won't because it can border on unethical; my understanding is that you're not supposed to take cases that you know have no chance based on settled law.

It's a small collar so yes you're overly vanilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I was asking empty sea you nosy little duckfucker.

:stare: