Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i named my heir sapphic and she turned out to be a lesbian, i willed it into existence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

quote:

Convince De Jure Territory (Steward): Convince other rulers to relinquish to you what is yours by De Jure right, or face diplomatic consequences.

I'm not seeing any evidence of this in game. Do you need to be independent?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Louis the Stammerer died in my Barcelona run and his grandson inherited K of Aquitaine. I started an independence faction so I could take the kingdom of Aragon decision and even though I was the only member and my military difference wasn’t that much over 100%, he gave in without a fight, so that was pretty nice and unexpected.

It was cool going through the first 45 years slowly introducing myself to the court mechanics as a vassal, and then finally holding court for myself after becoming an independent kingdom.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i have made PROFOUNDLY bad choices for my first post-expac campaign attempts:

- 1066 minor muslim duchy in spain: holy lol thunderdome of competing alliances as catholicismtide creeps up your rear end. that said, it is a good tutorial in marrying diplomatically rather than optimizing congenital traits
- 1066 georgia: much less of a struggle to gain territory than the minor muslim duchy! however, after conquering your immediate weak-rear end neighbors, your other neighbors are: the giant-rear end khanate of cumania, the seljuk turk empire, and the byzantine empire. sitting on your hands and upgrading defensive structures is, perhaps, a realistic historical experience of the georgian nation, but still.

i should either just go do 860 vikings instead and deal with the long wait/painful feudalism transition before getting a court or just gently caress it and try india

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Started as that Portugal guy to get the Portugal achievement.

But then the dumbass had all daughters, and even though my daughter was matrinlinearly married all her kids weren't the same dynasty somehow?

So she died and game over lol

Got the achievement though.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The language/cultural tolerance system is now really nice because it allow you to institutionalize aspects of a multi ethnic/multi religious empire instead of just leaving it up to your failkids. Keeping the rubes overawed by your bling filled palace is also nice. Being at the borderlands of large multicultural groups now lets you pick and choose cultural aspects of each one. Making Baktria is gonna be so much fun.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I started a new game as Robert the Fox but I can't quite grasp the diverge culture/hybrid culture thing. I got a popup that says I can make a hybrid culture but it won't let me diverge it because I have no actual Norman counties, only a bunch of Sicilian and Lombard ones. Can I do a norman-sicilian hybrid even if I don't have a Norman county? Or do I have to first somehow convert one county to Norman?

I'm working on saving the money to make the Kingdom of Sicily but it'll take a while yet, not even sure I'll manage before Robert croaks...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

BigRoman posted:

Been a while since I played this game. Did they get rid of the romance plot? I'm not seeing it as an option for my new bride.

They did not

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I mentioned it last night that I had an issue with vassals forming factions despite high relationship and today when I check the steam forums there are several people complaining about the same thing so there is obviously some kind of issue here.
I saw someone here mentioning that they had someone constantly form a faction and then disbanding it, I have not seen that myself but several others on the steam forums mentioned it happening to them too.

There is also an exploit that allows you to get out of being called into your ally's wars without taking a prestige hit but I will let Paradox figure that one out themselves because I am abusing the gently caress out of it :smuggo:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Sheep posted:

The game burns my 3060Ti unless I turn Advanced Shader Effects off, which incidentally makes the map look almost worse than CK2.

Nope, turned pretty much everything to low and it's still a slideshow, even in the main menu. Reinstalled the entire game, too.

Didn't have any issues before royal court...

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Holy poo poo I won a big defensive war and the 1k gold payday from that attracted a lot of craftsmen wanting me to fund their projects.

I mean I'm cool with it, this royal hall is kinda bare and I want them purps

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

TorakFade posted:

I started a new game as Robert the Fox but I can't quite grasp the diverge culture/hybrid culture thing. I got a popup that says I can make a hybrid culture but it won't let me diverge it because I have no actual Norman counties, only a bunch of Sicilian and Lombard ones. Can I do a norman-sicilian hybrid even if I don't have a Norman county? Or do I have to first somehow convert one county to Norman?

I'm working on saving the money to make the Kingdom of Sicily but it'll take a while yet, not even sure I'll manage before Robert croaks...

i played robert yesterday and managed to hybridize my culture - if you mouse over sicilian, you'll see what level of cultural acceptance it's at. you need to get it to 40 to hybridize. normans, being supercilious dickheads, get a -25 penalty to cultural acceptance so it might take a while. i set my chancellor on the task that boosts it and when i held court i got an event to make a cultural festival that gave me +10 and that was all i needed.

idk how diverging cultures work, though. i think you need to have norman counties and robert doesn't have any of those.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
having never done a proper catholic playthrough of ck3 it's actually surprisingly fun. i managed to consolidate southern italy and malta, participated in a crusade that got my cousin on the throne of jerusalem, and now just kinda eyeing everyone up to see who i can start biting chunks out of with swords and wedding bands.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

pidan posted:

Something has changed about how the characters are rendered, maybe the skin texture / eyes. At first glance I really hate it, closed the game for now. Maybe I'll get used to it as time goes on.

There is a confirmed bug related to how characters look so hopefully it will get fixed soon: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck-iii-portraits-look-messed-up-specifically-in-the-eyes.1509654/

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

SirPhoebos posted:

My son keeps forming a faction against me only to disband it instantly. This happens a few times each month. Very bizarre.

Is it a faction to install someone else with a claim while that claimant is imprisoned by you? That is what seems to happen.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Thanks for the heresy tips everyone.

Thread title candidate right here.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Foul Fowl posted:

i played robert yesterday and managed to hybridize my culture - if you mouse over sicilian, you'll see what level of cultural acceptance it's at. you need to get it to 40 to hybridize. normans, being supercilious dickheads, get a -25 penalty to cultural acceptance so it might take a while. i set my chancellor on the task that boosts it and when i held court i got an event to make a cultural festival that gave me +10 and that was all i needed.

idk how diverging cultures work, though. i think you need to have norman counties and robert doesn't have any of those.

taking a look at the wiki, it seems that:

quote:

* Hybrid cultures can be created between two cultures with at least 40% Cultural Acceptance by a ruler that has counties of both cultures within its realm. Depending on game settings it might also require both cultures to be old enough. The hybrid culture can choose cultural pillars, traditions and aesthetics from either parent culture, will gain all innovations known by either culture and will start with 100% Cultural Acceptance with both parents cultures. The cost of creating a hybrid culture decreases based on the current Cultural Acceptance between the two parent cultures. The size of the hybrid culture will depend on how much Cultural Acceptance has been built when creating the hybrid culture. The Promote Culture steward task will have its efficiency increased for a few years in counties belonging to either parent culture. By default hybrid cultures will be given the name of their parent cultures connected by a hyphen, though some hybrids have custom names by default.

* If a ruler does not share the culture of its realm capital and the two cultures meet the requirements to create a hybrid culture is a 5% chance each year that the ruler will be given the option to create a hybrid culture. While it is free it does not allow its pillars or traditions to be customized and are chosen at random from the two parent cultures. The hybrid culture creation can be canceled and doing so will grant +5% Cultural Acceptance. This sort of hybridization cannot take place if either culture has the Staunch Traditionalists tradition.

this second one seems like the Robert situation: his culture isn't the culture of the realm capital so he can't manually take the decision? In that case it'd just have a random chance to happen and would take random pillars from each culture? That doesn't sound ideal ..

Anyway the plan is to consolidate southern Italy, become King and enjoy court shenanigans and trying to hoard artifacts like a dragon, while transitioning my culture to a peaceful diplomatic/courtly one so I can be a shining beacon of civility. And incest.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

TorakFade posted:

taking a look at the wiki, it seems that:

this second one seems like the Robert situation: his culture isn't the culture of the realm capital so he can't manually take the decision? In that case it'd just have a random chance to happen and would take random pillars from each culture? That doesn't sound ideal ..

Anyway the plan is to consolidate southern Italy, become King and enjoy court shenanigans and trying to hoard artifacts like a dragon, while transitioning my culture to a peaceful diplomatic/courtly one so I can be a shining beacon of civility. And incest.

huh, i took the decision manually and made Sicio-Norman or whatever it's called including choosing the pillars and language and stuff. i think that wiki is incorrect, it seems like you can go hybrid even if you don't have any counties with your ruler's culture. or maybe he does start with a norman province?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
are you opening up the sicilian culture window to go hybrid? that might be the issue. the norman culture window will just let you diverge, you need to open the window of the other culture.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

What's a fun start these days? I've done the larger viking factions, and 1066's Apulia (which seems much harder now?) and Ireland to death at this point. What's something that's not too hard to start but also allows for a fun bit of growth and decisions to pursue.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Sankis posted:

What's a fun start these days? I've done the larger viking factions, and 1066's Apulia (which seems much harder now?) and Ireland to death at this point. What's something that's not too hard to start but also allows for a fun bit of growth and decisions to pursue.
Some ideas here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMxkvlPU2ro

Personally I am doing a south indian Tamil game right now and while it is not as intense as playing in Europe it is quite fun once you get going.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Foul Fowl posted:

are you opening up the sicilian culture window to go hybrid? that might be the issue. the norman culture window will just let you diverge, you need to open the window of the other culture.

Oooooooooh. OK that might be the problem :dumb: I'm at work now, will try again later when I get back home (but I'm pretty sure I'm far from the 40% acceptance needed, oh well)

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Eimi posted:

Is the matrilineal ai fixed finally? My memory of trying to do any kind of enatic playthrough is just a nightmare of none of my vassals or heirs marrying matrilineally.

It mostly works, it's certainly playable, you still may get people far down the line of succession marrying normally, or normal marriages between two members of the same dynasty (but different houses, which can cause your preferred house to not propagate).

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

TorakFade posted:

Oooooooooh. OK that might be the problem :dumb: I'm at work now, will try again later when I get back home (but I'm pretty sure I'm far from the 40% acceptance needed, oh well)

lol it got me too but luckily that screen pops up when you reach the required threshold for going hybrid. 40% doesn't take too long though, the councillor will give you around 0.5 per year and random court events give you massive 10/20% boosts. i got it done just after old robert croaked.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Speaking of marriages, I wish they'd add a "not related" filter when looking for a spouse for your kid. It was getting really hard in my last game to find spouses that weren't a bit too cousin for comfort.

I mean I guess that's on my own head, for having a faith with consorts and concubines so that everyone has a ton of kids. But like, when 90% of the marriage options are from your own dynasty, it'd be cool to have a filter to show only the not-too-closely related ones.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Alright, I formed the Kingdom of Poland with the Piast Dynasty, I converted to Catholic, all I need to go Feudal is more innovations, now how the gently caress do I get better artifacts!?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

There is a filter to exclude your own dynasty. As for being related, if they don't share any parents or grandparents I wouldn't worry about it. Nuclear option: turn on the "no nobles" filter and bring in some fresh commoner blood.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

TjyvTompa posted:

Is it a faction to install someone else with a claim while that claimant is imprisoned by you? That is what seems to happen.

No, it's to install himself.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

pidan posted:

There is a filter to exclude your own dynasty.

Yes, I know, but part of the problem was that there were precious few if any candidates that weren't of my own dynasty (I think the 90% was probably an understatement). It was a very, very big dynasty, you see. :v: So it would be nice to have an option to only see the dynasty members that aren't that closely related, in addition to the handful of petty nobles and lowborn. I did just end up marrying some second cousins a few times and it turned out okay, but, again, the option would be nice for when I just want to be sure.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
just go full habsburg whats the worst that could happen

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Have they changed the requirements for reaching max prestige level and is there any good way to farm prestige? I am trying to form "The Kingdom of the Man and Isles" and started out as Ivar the Boneless - I am currently playing for his son and even though I have tried to max out prestige for 30 years going full August, I am still 10.000 of and my character is 65.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
How has Royal Court impacted the Norman/Hungarian/English/viking settlement decisions? Do you get to choose what you keep?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Started my Mother of Us All run. OG Daurama died in her 40s, very unfortunately as she had 2 positive traits + Possessed so she was printing mad Piety and could possibly have reformed the faith if I'd managed to capture the other 2 holy sites. She did conquer enough to form a Queendom and become a Queen, so now I'm playing as the first daughter and she's set up to do well. I should be able to capture one of the other holy sites very shortly, and then I'll have to find a way to break my alliance with my half-brother, son of wasshisname the ruler that OG Daurama was married to at game start, whose father did very well and also formed a big kingdom of Kanem.

I need to be Feudal to hold Court, so it'll be a minute before I get to interact with those mechanics. I did get a locket of my father's hair as a trinket, tho, and that's pretty fun.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I started as a Saxon lord in the 800 start. Ended up getting into an unwanted hell-war with the Norse and a few decades later I'm now King of Denmark. I figure I'll do a hybrid Saxon-Norse culture.

What would be a good name for:
1) The culture
2) The Kingdom of Denmark, because it won't really be Denmark anymore at that point.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Nordick posted:

Speaking of marriages, I wish they'd add a "not related" filter when looking for a spouse for your kid. It was getting really hard in my last game to find spouses that weren't a bit too cousin for comfort.

I mean I guess that's on my own head, for having a faith with consorts and concubines so that everyone has a ton of kids. But like, when 90% of the marriage options are from your own dynasty, it'd be cool to have a filter to show only the not-too-closely related ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzQ797zTbcw

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Dramicus posted:

I started as a Saxon lord in the 800 start. Ended up getting into an unwanted hell-war with the Norse and a few decades later I'm now King of Denmark. I figure I'll do a hybrid Saxon-Norse culture.

What would be a good name for:
1) The culture
2) The Kingdom of Denmark, because it won't really be Denmark anymore at that point.

The culture of Saxikuar, and the Kingdom of Saxhiem

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Omnicarus posted:

The culture of Saxikuar, and the Kingdom of Saxhiem

Oh that sounds cool!

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
The steam reviews for RC started at very positive but is now at mixed. I've personally been enjoying it a ton.

I feel like (and Paradox has been struggling with this for awhile) there's a subset of the fan base that is very outspoken and very petty.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

In the COA designer, am I missing a button somewhere to mirror a given emblem? I'm trying to get two lions combatant but I can't figure out how to make one of the lions face the other way :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Dorkopotamis posted:

The steam reviews for RC started at very positive but is now at mixed. I've personally been enjoying it a ton.

I feel like (and Paradox has been struggling with this for awhile) there's a subset of the fan base that is very outspoken and very petty.
it seems most of them are just usual 'DLC too expensive'