Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

TracerM17 posted:

TNH Vz. 51 is supposed to be good right? I can't make it work. I actually had a really nice time in the t8 tank, but the t9's guns are so bad.

It's not terrible but the autoloader gun has awful accuracy and seems to have some mysterious WG modifier that makes its actual accuracy a lot worse than the number would seem to indicate. I had the same experience of not being able to reliably hit weak spots even at close ranges, and forget trying to hit anything from medium distance or longer.

I didn't have a good time with the Vz 51 but the Vz 55 feels a lot more comfortable to play.

E: looking at Tomato.gg it has the best performance of T9 tech tree heavies, second overall after the Concept 1B. I guess mine must've been cursed.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

TracerM17 posted:

TNH Vz. 51 is supposed to be good right? I can't make it work. I actually had a really nice time in the t8 tank, but the t9's guns are so bad. I think I need to go back to the single shot, because the double shot is pretty much just me just praying 1 of the shots goes where I want before I get a 24 second reload. I do a much better job playing support hevium role and helping T10s, but in games where I'm the top tier tank I just can't make it work. I usually am out of the game with less than 1000 damage done.

Edit: First game going back to the single shot and the gun is like a laser beam compared to the double and I did almost 5k damage.

With the autoloader you're always a support heavium, even when you're top tier. The only time you're leading the push is when you know there's one enemy in front of you and he's got less than 1,000 HP. This is the way.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Molybdenum posted:

I'm also a return(ed) player. Bonds are an in-game currency. I haven't actually spent any yet but it looks like the coolest things available are premium tanks.

Be careful with your bonds. If you already have a decent tier 8 premium or two, the ones on offer for bonds are not very attractive.
The good ones are at the top end (121B, not a credit maker though) and the very low end (the cheap tier 5 French M10 TD)

The pro thing to buy is purple equip for your favorite tank. Maybe an optic for your Even90 because you put a CVS in the first slot like a good boy. Maybe a stabilizer for an otherwise great tank with a troublesome gun.
Rammers are always a solid choice because mediums don't get a firepower slot :mad:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

sauer kraut posted:

Be careful with your bonds. If you already have a decent tier 8 premium or two, the ones on offer for bonds are not very attractive.
The good ones are at the top end (121B, not a credit maker though) and the very low end (the cheap tier 5 French M10 TD)

The pro thing to buy is purple equip for your favorite tank. Maybe an optic for your Even90 because you put a CVS in the first slot like a good boy. Maybe a stabilizer for an otherwise great tank with a troublesome gun.
Rammers are always a solid choice because mediums don't get a firepower slot :mad:

Alternatively if you play ranked (DON'T PLAY RANKED) and get to the second division (DON'T PLAY RANKED!) you can use your bonds to buy a Concept 1B or Kampfpanzer 50t, which are two of the most broken T9 tanks. But that requires playing ranked (DON'T PLAY RANKED!)

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Bond turbo or get out :colbert:

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I really want to like the Yoh

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Katamari Democracy posted:

I really want to like the Yoh

I like Yoh...yoh MAMA!!! :smugdog:

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Atomizer posted:

I like Yoh...yoh MAMA!!! :smugdog:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

This is a PSA/FYI regarding something I just encountered when playing tonight.

I launched into a battle and noticed my framerate had dropped precipitously since the previous battle, and the game was chugging along uncharacteristically. The GPU was underutilized, but then I saw that the CPU was at 100%. The process pegging the CPU was chrome. It turns out, I had opened and left open a tanks.gg window in chrome between those two battles; specifically it was set to the 3D model in "live" view, and apparently this is what was maxing out the CPU for some reason. I can't say I've noticed that before, but keep it in mind.

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

Welp I got chat banned on my second day back. Can't say I didn't see that coming.

On the topic of mods. Is there one I can install that shows stats in-game? I need to know what pubbies are trash and which ones are actually kinda ok.

Also I'll be on pretty much all morning and afternoon because I have no life. Message The_French_Army if you want to platoon. I'll be grinding tier VI and VII light tanks.

Sayara
May 10, 2009

The French Army posted:

On the topic of mods. Is there one I can install that shows stats in-game? I need to know what pubbies are trash and which ones are actually kinda ok.

You'll want XVM for that.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Is PANSY still the active goon clan on NA? Could I get an invite if so? Username is Natsuumi.

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

Sayara posted:

Thanks, I forgot all about that mod. It's coming back to me, some of it is muscle memory and some of it is mental.

I noticed last night that there's some sort of referral program and it says recruits can be players who haven't logged in for 60 days. We might be able to gain that for credit and xp bonuses and premium tanks, but those are probably trash.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Atomizer posted:

This is a PSA/FYI regarding something I just encountered when playing tonight.

I launched into a battle and noticed my framerate had dropped precipitously since the previous battle, and the game was chugging along uncharacteristically. The GPU was underutilized, but then I saw that the CPU was at 100%. The process pegging the CPU was chrome. It turns out, I had opened and left open a tanks.gg window in chrome between those two battles; specifically it was set to the 3D model in "live" view, and apparently this is what was maxing out the CPU for some reason. I can't say I've noticed that before, but keep it in mind.

The game launcher also uses a ton of resources during gameplay. So i close that out to get a much better performance boost.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The game launcher also uses a ton of resources during gameplay. So i close that out to get a much better performance boost.

Yeah, make a shortcut to the .exe and launch through that. Any program more intensive than an open web page really fucks with Tanks. I can't run tanks with an excel spreadsheet open.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Sayara posted:

Is XVM still good/cool with the main game? There was talk about some kind of mod crackdown coming when I played the other week.

Also is there a clan for people that started playing this way back when it was in Beta? I've been playing off and on forever but never got into the clan side of things--but at the same time I'm mostly just playing random battles for the gently caress of it and don't really care about getting super serious about win rates or whatever.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 9, 2022

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Is XVM still good/cool with the main game? There was talk about some kind of mod crackdown coming when I played the other week.

Also is there a clan for people that started playing this way back when it was in Beta? I've been playing off and on forever but never got into the clan side of things--but at the same time I'm mostly just playing random battles for the gently caress of it and don't really care about getting super serious about win rates or whatever.

XVM is still an approved mod, but while there may be a "mod crackdown", Wargaming is completely inept at detecting "banned" mods.

NDP still exists for bitter vets, and I can let people in, but PANSY is the more active clan by far.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Xvm still works fine, they just added that privacy mode thing to let you opt in to block stats from displaying.

Assume anyone without stats is either terrible or a unicorn and focus on them even more than you used to

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip
XVM is still cool. You don't need it because it's safe to assume everyone is bad.

Its definitely worth joining a clan and platooning. You earn more credits and XP in a platoon and you get free stuff for being in a clan even if you never do any clan stuff.

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

PANSY is still around?

On a related note I have found that reminding pubbies to get their COVID vaccines and wishing them health and safety generates rage.

The French Army fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 10, 2022

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Natsuumi posted:

Is PANSY still the active goon clan on NA? Could I get an invite if so? Username is Natsuumi.

Invite sent.

The rest of you who would like an invite please provide your IGN if you want an invite to Pansy. (Also US only)

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

Invite sent.

The rest of you who would like an invite please provide your IGN if you want an invite to Pansy. (Also US only)

The_French_Army

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

The French Army posted:

The_French_Army

Invite has been sent!

We also have a discord as well. I can give that to you in-game

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

McGavin posted:

NDP still exists for bitter vets, and I can let people in, but PANSY is the more active clan by far.

Truth.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

The French Army posted:

The_French_Army

Welcome back.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

So I finally played WoT again after a week or so's hiatus; I skipped the Pawlack as I said I would. I have plenty of leftover BPs that I can't use on anything else, anyway. I started in on the tier 7, the M-2-Y (I think,) and...it's kinda crappy. The turret is basically paper above the gun. The gun has atrocious handling and DPM, although pen is nice and I could otherwise deal with that alpha if it had the DPM to back it up. Mobility is poo poo, and I've only noticed the reserve track system like once. I guess it's nice to have, but they nerfed the poo poo out of this tank for no particularly good reason.

I met a pubbie along the way and we had a decent platoon going. He certainly is a chatty one, and is a self-admitted member of the "press W committee," but between him and my CHAI-sniping playstyle we made it work.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

PANSY is the cool place to hang out. You can find most of the cool people here. In PANSY you can just chill and do whatever and totally relax. "Take it easy" is the PANSY motto, for example, that's how laid back it is here. Show up if you want to have a good time. Another good reason to show up is if you want to hang out with friends.

The French Army posted:

On a related note I have found that reminding pubbies to get their COVID vaccines and wishing them health and safety generates rage.

This would've been such a better troll if allchat were still a thing; as it stands it's counterproductive because you'll end up distracting a portion of your pubbies, unfortunately.

I recently turned team chat back on, by the way; the game is quite a bit less stressful now that I've unlocked everything (save for the Yoh line) and nothing really matters anymore. :shobon:

Invite sent.

I wanted to say thank you for taking care of the invites; I'm not on every day of course and after I logged into the WoT site it was nice to see the notifications that you'd already invited the guys. :shobon:

MariusLecter posted:

Welcome back.

Atomizer posted:

They always come back.... :getin:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I occasionally ask about this, but is there any kind of EU presence? I'm currently in a clan with two other people who play even semi-occasionally and trying to find a pubbie clan that isn't full of nazis or fuckwits is a hard prospect.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Invite sent.

This is me, marvel at how much I suck.

https://worldoftanks.com/en/community/accounts/1000025264-WadeWilson/

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

An invite has been sent to you as well Captain Deadpool

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I occasionally ask about this, but is there any kind of EU presence? I'm currently in a clan with two other people who play even semi-occasionally and trying to find a pubbie clan that isn't full of nazis or fuckwits is a hard prospect.

I think a very few in the Pansy discord is EU but they are still more than welcome to chill and chat with us if anyone on SA still needs a community on Discord. Also anyone who plays the console versions we see from time to time being posted in it.

But as far as clans: that I have no idea sadly.

The French Army posted:

Black Lives Matter

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 11, 2022

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

An invite has been sent to you as well Captain Deadpool

Accepted. Now to just see if whenever I play happens to be when others are playing.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The Cobra looks atrociously bad. KV-2/Caliban level accuracy, 60 second inter clip reload, nonexistant armour, awful soft stats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eLFAYpF9hk

E: The AMX isn't looking good either.

Aside from those two shitters you can still get the AE Phase 1 (very good), the Object 777v2 (very boring) and the K-91 PT, which is surprisingly a lot of fun and also crew compatible with the Object 268v4. The Char Futur is now gone, so hope you already got that.

And the Kunze Panzer is also gone.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 11, 2022

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
NA CODE LOVESINTHEAIR

Rental M54 Renegade for 3 days
Access to a Mission
5x Personal Reserves: +300% to Free Experience for 1 hour

And *of course* they're removing the Kunze and Char - all the better to sell them for $100 apiece on the Premium Store.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 12, 2022

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And *of course* they're removing the Kunze and Char - all the better to sell them for $100 apiece on the Premium Store.

The Char Futur 4? oof, bad news for The French Army.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The Cobra looks atrociously bad. KV-2/Caliban level accuracy, 60 second inter clip reload, nonexistant armour, awful soft stats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eLFAYpF9hk

E: The AMX isn't looking good either.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I finished the Tier 7 Yoh, M2Y, and even when elite that's such a mediocre tank. WG really needed to pick like 2 of:
- low DPM
- low mobility
- poor gun handling
- huge turret tumor
...in order to balance it out. As it stands, something like the T29 is better at everything the Yoh is supposed to be able to accomplish. The reserve track mechanic was only noticeable a few times, and frankly, it was nice to have a little mobility with the main track destroyed. It basically needs to lose the tumor and one of the gun points; there's really no reason to have such a small gun handle AND fire so poorly.

The tier 8, the M3Y, on the other hand, seems like it's what its predecessor should've been. It has a trap 105, but the top 90 mm is decent, with good RoF and at least fast aiming time even if it has bloom. This is with no other modules unlocked, by the way. The stock turret seems OK for a tier 8, but I just had a battle with a 46% pubbie shitter firing gold in the KV-4 and penning every shot in the cheeks. I'm guessing he was just spamming APCR and got lucky firing at the turret (and especially hitting every shot) rather than knowing where to pen and to switch to gold. (Meanwhile I either whiffed every fully-aimed shot or bounced his front despite having the same amount of pen and less armor to go through....)

I think the strategy for the tier 8 is to get the top 90 first, then either tracks-turret-engine, or turret-tracks/engine if you use improved hardening and get the suspension limit buff (and ignore the 105 in any case.)

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Atomizer posted:

I finished the Tier 7 Yoh, M2Y, and even when elite that's such a mediocre tank. WG really needed to pick like 2 of:
- low DPM
- low mobility
- poor gun handling
- huge turret tumor
...in order to balance it out. As it stands, something like the T29 is better at everything the Yoh is supposed to be able to accomplish. The reserve track mechanic was only noticeable a few times, and frankly, it was nice to have a little mobility with the main track destroyed. It basically needs to lose the tumor and one of the gun points; there's really no reason to have such a small gun handle AND fire so poorly.

The tier 8, the M3Y, on the other hand, seems like it's what its predecessor should've been. It has a trap 105, but the top 90 mm is decent, with good RoF and at least fast aiming time even if it has bloom. This is with no other modules unlocked, by the way. The stock turret seems OK for a tier 8, but I just had a battle with a 46% pubbie shitter firing gold in the KV-4 and penning every shot in the cheeks. I'm guessing he was just spamming APCR and got lucky firing at the turret (and especially hitting every shot) rather than knowing where to pen and to switch to gold. (Meanwhile I either whiffed every fully-aimed shot or bounced his front despite having the same amount of pen and less armor to go through....)

I think the strategy for the tier 8 is to get the top 90 first, then either tracks-turret-engine, or turret-tracks/engine if you use improved hardening and get the suspension limit buff (and ignore the 105 in any case.)

The stock 90mm gun being worse on the tier 8 than the top gun on the tier 7 is gonna piss me off so much once i start grinding that tank out. It's pissing me off right now even looking at it!

e;
I can't think of anything worse in this game than the Pawlack. At least shitboxes of other lines have the decency of being lower tiers.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 13, 2022

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

The stock 90mm gun being worse on the tier 8 than the top gun on the tier 7 is gonna piss me off so much once i start grinding that tank out. It's pissing me off right now even looking at it!

e;
I can't think of anything worse in this game than the Pawlack. At least shitboxes of other lines have the decency of being lower tiers.

I immediately free XP'd that top 90 mm, before playing a single battle in it. After 15 battles (11 wins, including an 8-game streak,) I had the turret, tracks, and engine (with the use of boosters and 5x missions.) It is absolutely an excellent tank, and is far better balanced than the tier 7. The mediocre 240 alpha is balanced by a ~5.5-second reload, the fairly high penetration is balanced by mediocre handling, and the strong turret is balanced by a mediocre hull, although it looks like it has the boat-shaped hull that can be overangled to bait autobounce shots. Mobility is also appropriately in heavium territory.

It's like they forgot about the tier 7 and didn't finish balancing it. It really needs that cupola to be shrunk down to the size of the tier 8's, and increased DPM or gun handling. It was an instant sell once I elited it, whereas I'm definitely keeping the tier 8.

The Pawlack also got hosed over; for a tank that tall it needs better than 5 degrees of depression, and it's inexplicable why they invented a worse version of the 90 mm that the M6 gets.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Now that you have it upgraded, try a turbo. These things historically were supposed to be brainstorm out of the box ideas as alternatives to what became the m48. A medium tank. That is why I mentioned akipping the rammer in my build for a turbo. You aren't really shaving that much on the reload versus vents boosting handling and mobility as well. It really becomes a heavium at that point.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

This is probably this year's Black Market replacement.

There will be offers for five days (starting tomorrow), some for credits, some for bonds, some for gold. Offers will include premium tanks, rare tanks (the T-22 is specifically listed as an item) as well as a new T8 premium, the Kirovets-1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkkmJ64OQj0

They won't be bid wars, there will just be X amount of each item for sale and the fastest get them. Apparently not everyone will be offered the same deals but you can reroll your deals for credits.

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8M2slrIVss

Quackybaby is not a fan. There's a mechanic where the more players "want" an item (give it a thumbs up with their one daily like) the cheaper it will be, but supplies will be limited so you're encouraged to buy early or miss out. And he speculates that your initial three daily offerings will most likely be crap forcing you to spend a ton of credits just to reroll your offer and hope to get something you actually want.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

JuffoWup posted:

Now that you have it upgraded, try a turbo. These things historically were supposed to be brainstorm out of the box ideas as alternatives to what became the m48. A medium tank. That is why I mentioned akipping the rammer in my build for a turbo. You aren't really shaving that much on the reload versus vents boosting handling and mobility as well. It really becomes a heavium at that point.

I currently have the tier 8 equipped with a rammer, Vstab, and Hardening, and I was thinking of swapping out the latter for a turbo (although I'm also game with instead swapping out the rammer like you mentioned.) I'm aware that not only were these supposed to be MTs, but they were also basically just fantasy tanks with the M5Y notoriously not having the turret connected to the hull (as in, no pathway to feed ammo from one to the other.)

The only real reason I had improved hardening in that slot, by the way, was to potentially boost track repair time, since that's kind of this line's gimmick, but I'll point out while I'm at it that you can also equip modified configuration and further boost repair time. This might be something to consider on a TD; with a repair crew it can get you close to a 4-second track repair speed on a tortoise or T95, which is a pretty scary proposition!

Unrelated edit: I just noticed that the Pz2J is on sale for like $60 or whatever. I'm not sure how often it gets sold, but it's probably not worth it even if you really like low-tier gimmick tanks. I played mine recently, and it's still slow as hell, even with a turbo, and the penetration is as negligible as it's ever been. It really needs to be platooned with something that has penetration, but when I played it some random pubbie had no trouble slinging gold through the front (I still won though.)

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Feb 15, 2022