Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Not an axe to be seen, this makes me sad.

Sorceress feels pretty great in the testing area though. Most classes have, really, it’s making it hard to decide on what to play. :v:

Except gunslinger/deadeye, stance dancing is a young man’s game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

blatman posted:

can you give trip reports on playing a bard for the next few levels? i'm not starting until friday but I wish to live vicariously through you

I’ve played a bard to level 20 and joined in on a world boss fight around that level (salt golem or something like that). Only died once standing in bad during said world boss.

Bard feels like a slower (movement and damage wise) DPS so far. At this low level everything aside from bosses dies so quickly and your identity gauge charges so slowly (or because I’m new) that you don’t get to cast your big party buffs more than once or twice a dungeon/world boss. You generally don’t have the skill points yet to turn your abilities into buffs without gimping your soloing ability, but good use of skill presets (or a quick respec at the start of a dungeon) can fix that yet.

All that aside it’s still pretty fun and I’m looking forward to the support side kicking in more when I get more geared and used to the class. You have to play more close range to bosses than I expected for a “support” mage and that’s throwing me off.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

a lot of people are going to see soulfist and be baited into thinking you are goku but like 90% of your power is behind your ult and always feels anemic if you dont have and it feels terrible if you miss it.

Awww cmon I was gonna roll Soulfist on Friday but now you have me second guessing myself again.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I made a two martial artists yesterday (one to be a Scrapper, and one to be a Soulfist) but this Soulfist talk has me thinking maybe I'll go Wardancer with the second one instead

That said, question: I didn't get a chance to play too much yesterday, but when I stopped I was in the middle of spam-clicking through really boring dialogue while being sent around the first town to talk to what seemed to be every NPC. Does that kind of thing let up soon? I kinda want to just go smash things. I don't mind story in my MMOs (obviously, I play FFXIV) but that was already kinda wearing me down.

Also I'm mad that the game won't let me change the interact key because G is a really weird choice for it :colbert:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

the key binding in general is pretty rear end, I was testing out controller, and trying to rebind their insane default action buttons screwed up the multi bound keys that happily work as defaults

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

A lot of advance classes have two functional builds. Like sorcs can focus on big burst windows or consistent damage that doesnt rely on their identity skill. Demonics and scouters have a build that has them nearly always in their powered up state and one that doesnt use it at all.

Soulfist is stuck with spirit bomb build. You gotta enjoy that playstayle of looking for one single big number every few minutes because if you dont you are going to be disappointed.

Thirsty Dog posted:

Soulfist felt the coolest of the three options for lady martial artist, which I was not expecting at all.

By ult do you mean the hype system or the big light blast attack?

Hype is their identity skill, and the spirit bomb is their ult. Hype and her ult goes hand in hand because you need to be at max hype to maximize that burst window. And its not just you keeping track of your window, its matching it with your allies support damage boosters too. All burst window classes tend to rely on more situational awareness on both your bosses and allies to do well.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 9, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think my very, very early game impressions so far are

1. Combat feels fantastic

2. Controls are kinda weird but I'm sure I'll get used to them

3. I wish I could zoom the camera out further (maybe I can? Is there a setting for that?)

4. Please tell me the endless NPC dialogue thins out at some point and I can just go fight monsters and do the fun part

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
im playing as a mnk and im trying to understand combat, because it seems like the auto attack is completely loving useless and i should zip zoom around until i have an ability up... otherwise im animation locked getting beat on...

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

got through Morai Ruins as a shadowhunter and then went a little bit further- was surprised to find an optional dungeon

I have no idea how to optimize my skills but I have found arranging them by refresh time and just mashing through them to work okay while I try to not get hit

not enough of the skills have your Stand pop out - I didn’t realize the class weapon was a pair of weird anime glaives before release

wolfs fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Feb 9, 2022

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I don't play a lot of click to move games so I keep left clicking to attack instead of right, and of course that binding is locked.

Only tried bard so far, and it seems fun, but going to roll up a sorc today because that felt fantastic in the trial and I love a good elemental magicker.

And so far, the worst part of the game has been the name limitations. Absolutely rear end.

MajorBonnet fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 9, 2022

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I really wish I could change the layout of my "hotbars" to the controller + layout because trying to parse "fourth ability" as "LB+A" is breaking my brain.

Really seems like the only good thing about this game is the combat but man it's so good.

Harrow posted:

4. Please tell me the endless NPC dialogue thins out at some point and I can just go fight monsters and do the fun part

I'm level 21 and it's still just typical mmorpg "run from orange icon to orange icon and slam through dialogue" but I did a legit dungeon and it was really cool with many things to punch. I'm assuming the end-game chaos dungeons or whatever are more of the Diablo greater rift type thing.

acumen fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 9, 2022

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

MajorBonnet posted:

I don't play a lot of click to move games so I keep left clicking to attack instead of right, and of course that binding is locked.

Only tried bard so far, and it seems fun, but going to roll up a sorc today because that felt fantastic in the trial and I love a good elemental magicker.

And so far, the worst part of the game has been the name limitations. Absolutely rear end.

There's an option to switch these around, it's a toggle.

theguybro
Dec 16, 2012

Don't hate the player, hate the game.
Game is super fun so far, been playing it since yesterday's release and been having a blast playing with my girlfriend.

If anybody is interested in grouping up, I'm in as "Minusthet"

Feel free to add and we can play together. Currently running a Shadowhunter and my girl is playing Paladin.

Looking forward to playing with some goons!

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
My initial impressions of lost ark: this is a game that has been around for a long time and it is overwhelming how much there is to do and look at and interact with. Every 5 minutes in the main story I interact with something lying on the ground and then another new progression system emerges with 400-500 hours of content trapped behind it with its own currency and experience bar and skill tree. Oh and these quest rewards are found at this vendor. Oh but these quest rewards are actually in a nested menu off this map. Oh and these rewards feed into an account progression system.

And I have played maybe 2 hours.

Boy is it fun to smash my big sword into like 400 identical goons.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

ghostinmyshell posted:

im playing as a mnk and im trying to understand combat, because it seems like the auto attack is completely loving useless and i should zip zoom around until i have an ability up... otherwise im animation locked getting beat on...

This is my early impression too as zerk, this combo seems like a good combo but then I press any button and it’s instant death comedy hour. I’m expecting some sort of spender will build off the basic click combo at some point. But I also suspect strategy only really comes into play way later in

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Harrow posted:

I only leveled to 30 on RU but it’s the same annoying bullshit where you talk to this guy then go talk to the guy three feet from him. There are basically 2-3 cool things in the first 30 levels (but they’re really cool), and the rest is kind of a slog. I hear it gets better after that, but I haven’t gotten that far yet.

I’m a bit biased though because it did 10-26 a bunch of times trying different classes in pvp and it made me really hate those first few levels.

ghostinmyshell posted:

Auto-attacking regular mobs staggers them so they can’t attack. Generally what I do is run around and gather a few of them up then try to position so they’re all in front and getting hit by autos. That said, yeah your autos generally hit like a wet noodle.

MajorBonnet posted:

It’s not intuitive at all but there’s a toggle somewhere in the settings to swap these (there also should have been a prompt to have you choose but there’s a lot being thrown at you at the beginning.)

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Hefty posted:

It’s not intuitive at all but there’s a toggle somewhere in the settings to swap these (there also should have been a prompt to have you choose but there’s a lot being thrown at you at the beginning.)

I tried to read everything, but I think I must have clicked past that one. Took me a minute to find the setting even knowing it was there somewhere (You have to toggle off Right-Click to Attack). That feels so much more natural.

Tugboat Willy
Jun 9, 2004

Is the best way to level just doing the main quest line? I played a bit yesterday after work and I picked up every quest but it felt so slow.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Tugboat Willy posted:

Is the best way to level just doing the main quest line? I played a bit yesterday after work and I picked up every quest but it felt so slow.

My understanding is they balanced it where you can purely do main quests and be 50 at the end, so if you're fine coming back later to do side quests and collections and such, go for it

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The quests go by quickly, they just have you press G an ungodly amount of time. Just bind g to scroll wheel or macro it to another mouse button if you can. I have it set it up like this and it aint that bad

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 9, 2022

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/Naguura/status/1491221717834149890

My character can liquefy enemies with her fists and perform acrobatic derring-do but has this run cycle. I laughed really hard when I noticed it too.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

There's a cutscene early on where you watch your character walk away and any female character does a loving catwalk walk away. Makes it even more obvious because the male characters are also in frame walking like normal human beings. A lot of the outfits are heavy on "fan service" as well. Kind of a bummer, I think it's impacting how much my wife is enjoying the game. Me too, if I'm being honest.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Jimbot posted:

My character can liquefy enemies with her fists and perform acrobatic derring-do but has this run cycle. I laughed really hard when I noticed it too.

My wife and I were dying over this, and all the built-in high heels. We're only like level 18 or something, but I am guessing there are no armors in the game that are not high heels.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

I’m the girliest girly girl, you can tell because every joint is made of pure gelatin.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The armor icons for pants on sorcerors are underwear

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I've been getting a ton of lag and rubberbanding. The enemies will freeze in place and my attacks will do nothing, then they'll snap to me and sometimes explode or sometimes I'd missed. I'll start climbing a cliff then get pulled back to the bottom and start climbing again. It happens on both East and West servers, morning and night. Is it a combo of my rural internet and early access servers getting swarmed, or is there something else I should look at? Last time I had it this bad this often was WoW's original release and everyone was complaining about it. Here I don't see many other people having any issues, just one german player on the EU servers.

It's still playable, I just wouldn't want to do group content with it, especially since I'm currently playing bard.

From the cloudping link earlier my ping was 20 to the east coast amazon servers and 60-80 to west.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It sounds like you might have packetloss.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

If anyone is on Enviska US-West and in need of a guild, mine is Unleashed Dragons* and it’s just me and a few friends right now. Very casual, hoping to get people to do the 8 man content eventually.

*Rex Grossman reference, not try hard fantasy reference

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

bagrada posted:

I've been getting a ton of lag and rubberbanding. The enemies will freeze in place and my attacks will do nothing, then they'll snap to me and sometimes explode or sometimes I'd missed. I'll start climbing a cliff then get pulled back to the bottom and start climbing again. It happens on both East and West servers, morning and night. Is it a combo of my rural internet and early access servers getting swarmed, or is there something else I should look at? Last time I had it this bad this often was WoW's original release and everyone was complaining about it. Here I don't see many other people having any issues, just one german player on the EU servers.

It's still playable, I just wouldn't want to do group content with it, especially since I'm currently playing bard.

From the cloudping link earlier my ping was 20 to the east coast amazon servers and 60-80 to west.

Turn off area chat channel

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Pragmatica posted:

I am having so much fun!!! :woop:
Yeah, all the quests are way less tedious now than when I last tried it.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Do the tripod morphs change your skill animations? Like if you morph to water does it become all splashy.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ort posted:

Do the tripod morphs change your skill animations? Like if you morph to water does it become all splashy.

Yes, some do change how the animation play by a bit, some change it drastically.

Like the new artist class in korea has one ability that paints the sun and another that paints the moon and the tripods change the strokes to make the symbol on the ground a lot.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
What's the most brain dead class to play, Sorcerer?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Probably Zerker.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Jimbot posted:

It’s so bad lol, this is a gorgeous game but I really hate that every character is styled as either Bimbo McHugeTits or Brock Thickchest. The face options are fine but no body or stance customization kind of sucks.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I like how the FF14 translators looked at the boring npc dialogue and said 'we can do better', and did for the western release

The translators for this game did uh, not do that

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Should I wait to open my founders pack or anything else until I settle on character class I like?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

victrix posted:

The translators for this game did uh, not do that
Lost Ark is going to receive an award for most creative and confusing use of the word "butler".

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Did they walk back the cutscene thing for the Powerpass? I'm seeing conflicting facts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Fenarisk posted:

Did they walk back the cutscene thing for the Powerpass? I'm seeing conflicting facts.
Yes. It was likely a miscommunication to mention cutscenes to begin with.