Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Anita Dickinme posted:

I felt the same way like even a person who’s never fired a gun before should have at least hit one person with all those people that literally took up the entire street.

But the calibration thing could be a good take.

Star Wars gunfights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqXcoDqU8mk&t=252s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Never thought I'd see an Annihilator Droid in live action. That was a nice surprise, and the King Kong stuff was goofy fun.

Decent ending, about what I expected even if it did feel like a rehash of Mando Season 1's ending.

With how things resolved this time around I'm left to wonder what they'll do for Mando S3 because the door is left wide open.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

So the finale itself was a lot of fun. Like, a ton of fun. The show was mostly pretty bad, but taken on its own, I loved the finale. I wish it hadn't taken so long to get here, but it feels like Robert Rodriguez was saving budget from the first 4 episodes or something for the final 3? Very strange. But the day I don't enjoy 2 Mandalorians do battle with an army on Tattooine, ending with Boba Fett riding a rancor, and the other Mandalorian slicing up a massive droid with the Darksaber, well poo poo, count me out on watching any of this stuff I guess, because I've lost track of why I'm here or something.

tuo posted:

This episode was exactly the kind of silly action fun I dig. If I ever revisit this show, I think I‘ll only watch the last three episodes.

Yeah, basically this.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
whole show about boba fett and we never learn about his motivations other than family

but if next season he becomes an anti-hero/antagonist to mando instead of a potential deus ex machina it might be cool

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If the show was called The Sands of Tatooine rather than The Book of Boba Fett I bet you people would like it better as an ensemble show. Putting Boba Fett in the title sets certain expectations that the show doesn't achieve.

Plus it would give Morrison more chances to say T'tuinne rather than Tatooine.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

If the show was called The Sands of Tatooine rather than The Book of Boba Fett I bet you people would like it better as an ensemble show. Putting Boba Fett in the title sets certain expectations that the show doesn't achieve.

changing the name of the show won’t change how boring it is

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It could be called The Mos Espa Conundrum and it would still be subpar compared to the rest of the SW shows that bury this.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Krrsantan is fuckin' awesome.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Arc Hammer posted:

Then it would have still been weird when we spent 2 episodes largely off of Tatooine. Plus, yeah, the boring start. That doesn’t really solve the problem, just shifts it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The REAL Goobusters posted:

changing the name of the show won’t change how boring it is

No but it would shut up the people complaining constantly about a barrel chested short tank 60 year old Maori being "too fat" for their leading man. Wouldn't change the structural problems but it would shut those people up.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 9, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

Krrsantan is fuckin' awesome.

i liked him re-entering with the pile of guys still on him, like he trudged halfway across mos espa constantly carrying them

he ruled, i'm glad we'll almost certainly be getting more of him (and that Filoni and co. are comfortable pulling cool poo poo from the comics, give us Aphra plz)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I like how the group shot at the end included the random LEP droid Boba terrified.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Even after everything is said and done, I'm still wondering the same thing.

Random thoughts:

So... now what? Boba is a benevolent ruler? And everyone is OK with that? He's still a CRIME boss. His assassin right hand straight up murdered the elected offical. But instead of the New Republic swooping in to investigate, we get happy Hobbiton flute music and gratefully bowing smiling citizens. At least have some of them cowering in fear or hiding away their kids. The whole tone of that scene struck me as so weird.

LOL at "I dont' want to be a bounty hunter any more, I want to be a crime lord!" (becomes a crime lord) "We are not suited for this."

Fennec spending a good half minute playing exposition was also hilarious.

Peli is totally going to hook up with the majordomo, isn't she?

What was the advantage of Bane telling Boba who killed the Tuskens? It's one more in a list of bizarre choices by the characters. Speaking of which, sure Bane, let's go into a shootout against a man in beskar armor.

I hate that Rodriguez still uses that weird speed-up effect in some of his action scenes. It doesn't look good.

Show needed more Hutts and more Trejo.

For a city as big as Mos Espa, Boba's crew is laughably small. Two Gamorreans, six Mods, one Wookiee, one Mando, one Fennec That's ELEVEN people (until the Freetowners arrive with about another ten). ELEVEN people planning a war against a crime syndicate. That's not just just stretching credibility, even considering the show is on a budget, but that's downright insulting towards your audience.

This was SUCH an uneven show. Overall there was still a lot to enjoy, but the difference in quality to The Mandalorian is really glaring. I'd love to hear something about the production process. Was it written in a hurry? Was a large chunk reshot or rewritten on the fly? Was stuff cut? Disney is notorious for keeping the lid on such things, but viewing the show, I get a really strong "troubled production" vibe. If anyone has a link to any (serious, non-clickbaity) articles or good behind-the-scenes podcasts, it would be much appreciated.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Basically this was a pretty good three episode mando arc stepped on with 4 episodes more or less wasted meandering around on the backstory of the stock character who hires him for the latest mission.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don’t think the production was troubled and I haven’t heard anything like that from any of the reputable leakers. I just don’t think RR was suited to something like this and the show as a whole came together real quick, which leads me to believe they came up with it on the fly and greenlit it just to have something fill the slot that Mando S3 would have been in normally. It’s filler while they wait for Pedro to free up.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Somebody posted earlier that this felt like the story you make up when you're playing with your action figures aged 7 and that's about right. Or like a hastily thrown together first Star Wars tabletop RPG by someone who has never run one before but wants to get down and dirty in the crime part of the universe, stuff just happens because they want to have a cool chase scene or a street fight, the characters forget everything until they don't at the perfect time, motivations are very foggy, characters forget basic facts about the universe/stuff they're supposed to be very knowledgable about.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

having rewatched the series and now the finale, some of you might just be miserable people idk

it's not as good as Mando but what a fun show overall

the mods are cool, you can all kiss on my bare balls and butt

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The show reminds me a lot of the same issues that pestered Battlestar Galactica: Razor. It's a show about a secondary character that relies on you knowing stuff from a different series that makes it uneven as a standalone item but it also has a tangible impact on the show it is spun off from.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Arc Hammer posted:

The show reminds me a lot of the same issues that pestered Battlestar Galactica: Razor. It's a show about a secondary character that relies on you knowing stuff from a different series that makes it uneven as a standalone item but it also has a tangible impact on the show it is spun off from.

Not a single zoom in on the cock though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

A drat shame, too.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

EJO is a god drat treasure. We don’t deserve him.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Never thought I'd see an Annihilator Droid in live action. That was a nice surprise,

I wonder if they knew it had resurfaced in the Legends continuity and intentionally brought it over, or if they were just plundering old concept art again. It's referred to as a Scorpenek in dialogue, so I guess someone at some point realized it had already been used.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dave Syndrome posted:

What was the advantage of Bane telling Boba who killed the Tuskens? It's one more in a list of bizarre choices by the characters. Speaking of which, sure Bane, let's go into a shootout against a man in beskar armor.

Yeah, and he won. He only lost because he paused to gloat while standing on him instead of just capping Boba.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
well that was... alright. it had cool moments, like droidika and rancor reveals were pretty oh poo poo, and baby Yoda taking asleep right next to the rancor was adorable, but like the entire shootout went too long, and subsequently there was basically no ending. and i dunno but the cad bane showdown kinda rubbed me the wrong way. like, the vanth showdown in the previous episode was tense as hell, but here there just wasn't anything to it. then again the final obi wan/maul showdown was similarly anticlimactic so maybe that's just the star wars way

also i kinda expected Fennec to say something like she needed to be moving on now at the end so maybe we'd see more of her since she was basically making all the decisions and clearly deserved to be doing something better with her time than babysitting Boba, but i guess not

overall it was a decent stopgap while we wait for mando s3 but also a lot of missed opportunities i feel

site fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 9, 2022

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The Obi Wan / Maul duel was art. How dare you say it was anticlimactic. Obi starting off with his regular stance then switching to Qui Gon's and it being a homage to old samurai duels.

The Boba - Cad Bane duel was stupid as hell - new viewers learn they have a big history together, they knew each other since he was a kid and oops, you're dead now.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Dave Syndrome posted:

I think his plan was to get Boba to just do a duel with him, so he could kill him and get it over with (and add 'Killed Boba Fett' to his resume). He was pretty confident that he still had the upper hand, armor or no. Which he would have, except that Boba has apparently improved in his time with the Tuskens.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Dave Syndrome posted:

So... now what? Boba is a benevolent ruler? And everyone is OK with that? He's still a CRIME boss. His assassin right hand straight up murdered the elected offical. But instead of the New Republic swooping in to investigate, we get happy Hobbiton flute music and gratefully bowing smiling citizens. At least have some of them cowering in fear or hiding away their kids. The whole tone of that scene struck me as so weird.

the New Republic doesn't really give a gently caress about Tatooine, just like the Empire and old republic didn't. they've got like, two cops out there for the entire sector. it's sort of the whole deal with the planet, the Daimyo is the authority, not just of crime but of everything.

the people of Tatooine have never seemed to have any love for the galactic government of the moment either, and why should they. none of them have ever done poo poo for them. it's a backwater hub for trade of all kinds, seedy and legit, populated by hard living farmers, insular Natives, and anybody else trying to make a buck. the Daimyo and his forces keep the peace, keep the money moving, keep society spinning and stable.

even for the regular joes like the Lars family. they were doing just fine before some Imperial stormtroopers showed up and murdered them in a no-knock raid because their boss in Coruscant misplaced some company files. the people were happy to see Jabba at the Boonta Eve. The Daimyo puts food on their plates and a roof over their head, and more importantly, he's There. The Republic is not There.

I'm a Mos Espa melon merchant and poo poo has been rough since Jabba got blowed up. Now you're telling me not only is there a real Daimyo again, but he's a badass Mandalorian who walks among the people, not a fat piece of poo poo in some palace? He's making the small business tyrants cut their prices and giving jobs to the jobless? He's in the streets personally putting his boot in the asses of the off world carpet baggers? I love this guy, I'm giving him and his buddies free melons for life.

the townsfolk just watched their new smiling king and his friends personally fight off an occupying army of off-world paramilitary thugs who've been going around harassing townships and blowing up the local restaurants, as well as the thugs of the smaller families who've taken advantage of the power vacuum to exploit them. why wouldn't they be happy to see him out and about?

re the Mayor: for all we know the Mayor wasn't even a conventionally elected official. we dont really know how their puppet municipality government system works. not that it matters if they did elect him, because even in real life nobody respects their useless, usually corrupt Mayor. if Fennec came along and wiped my city's Mayor and City council along with some out of town land developers they were in the middle of cutting yet another deal with to demolish a poor neighborhood and put up another high rise nobody can afford to live in I'd be loving thrilled, just on general principle.

as for Bane, he's just kind of an idiot rear end in a top hat who's upper hand is usually undone by his callousness. thats always been his characterization. he's dangerous, ruthless, and is more cruel than strictly pragmatic, which tends to bite him in the rear end even when he does genuinely have his opponent outmatched. there wasn't any real reason to tell him, he just couldn't resist twisting the knife on Boba because he could.

just as an immediate example because I'm now working my way through the Bad Batch currently, Omega was only even able to escape her cell on his ship in the first place because he was too much of a lazy rear end in a top hat to fix his little robot servant's leg, even though he had nothing better to do and he relied on the guy to help him. he's just a scary looking guy who's mean, a good fighter, and an elite draw but kind of a greed-motivated dumbass outside of that. even in his prime he still gets loving worked by a novice Fennec and outmaneuvered by multiple children

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If Cad Bane had been the enforcer for the Twins rather than Santo you could still have Santo in the show while also building up a grudge between Fett and Bane.

But at least we got Bane's out of nowhere appearance against Cobb Vanth

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
This show wasn’t very good, but it did feature some fun scenes so it wasn’t a total waste. If Boba Fett had a motivation or character arc it would have really helped. The conversation between him and Bane at the end hinted at a much more interesting story that could have been written, and would have been a lot cooler to watch.

But the all-Mando episode was good, and I did like seeing Luke again (with the improved deepfake face). But I think that second Mando episode was where the wheels really started to come off, and it became clear that there was not much of a plan for the show.

Overall I would give it a C-, bumped up to a B+ for the two preview episodes of the next season of Mandalorian.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I was really hoping to see more of kid Boba right after his father died.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i had no reason to, but i was secretly hoping that the conversation between bane and the pyke leader where cad asked if the leader was sure all the tuskens were dead was leading into Boba leaving to get reinforcements only to come back with tusken lady and a few other survivors

site fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 9, 2022

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

site posted:

i had no reason to, but i was secretly hoping that the conversation between bane and the pyke leader where cad asked if the leader was sure all the tuskens were dead were leading into Boba leaving to get reinforcements only to come back with tusken lady and a few other survivors

yeah same. it's still not clear to me whether we're supposed to think she's dead or not. it's weird they conspicuously showed the chief's body and the kid's stick but not her after she was featured so heavily

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mandrel posted:

the New Republic doesn't really give a gently caress about Tatooine, just like the Empire and old republic didn't. they've got like, two cops out there for the entire sector. it's sort of the whole deal with the planet, the Daimyo is the authority, not just of crime but of everything.

the people of Tatooine have never seemed to have any love for the galactic government of the moment either, and why should they. none of them have ever done poo poo for them. it's a backwater hub for trade of all kinds, seedy and legit, populated by hard living farmers, insular Natives, and anybody else trying to make a buck. the Daimyo and his forces keep the peace, keep the money moving, keep society spinning and stable.

even for the regular joes like the Lars family. they were doing just fine before some Imperial stormtroopers showed up and murdered them in a no-knock raid because their boss in Coruscant misplaced some company files. the people were happy to see Jabba at the Boonta Eve. The Daimyo puts food on their plates and a roof over their head, and more importantly, he's There. The Republic is not There.

I'm a Mos Espa melon merchant and poo poo has been rough since Jabba got blowed up. Now you're telling me not only is there a real Daimyo again, but he's a badass Mandalorian who walks among the people, not a fat piece of poo poo in some palace? He's making the small business tyrants cut their prices and giving jobs to the jobless? He's in the streets personally putting his boot in the asses of the off world carpet baggers? I love this guy, I'm giving him and his buddies free melons for life.

the townsfolk just watched their new smiling king and his friends personally fight off an occupying army of off-world paramilitary thugs who've been going around harassing townships and blowing up the local restaurants, as well as the thugs of the smaller families who've taken advantage of the power vacuum to exploit them. why wouldn't they be happy to see him out and about?

re the Mayor: for all we know the Mayor wasn't even a conventionally elected official. we dont really know how their puppet municipality government system works. not that it matters if they did elect him, because even in real life nobody respects their useless, usually corrupt Mayor. if Fennec came along and wiped my city's Mayor and City council along with some out of town land developers they were in the middle of cutting yet another deal with to demolish a poor neighborhood and put up another high rise nobody can afford to live in I'd be loving thrilled, just on general principle.

This is also not far from how Italy worked with the old Mafia. The power and influence of the bosses was such that the US worked with both American and Italian bosses like Lucky Luciano and Vito Genovese to make the liberation of Sicily easier. New York dockworker unions didn't strike, the Cosa Nostra in Sicily acted as interpreters, spies, and negotiators. Fascism wasn't a great time for Italy and they were usually more than happy to depose Mussolini and get Hitler to gently caress off out of there.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'm gonna preface this by saying that I've never been one to nitpick logic in tv/movie action sequences, primarily because imo spectacle and spotlight moments should always supercede it in that instance, especially for something like Star Wars. But that entire droid fight just left me scratching my head because it dragged on for so long and never once utilized anything interesting about the characters involved in it. Like they establish the stakes in the first ten seconds (oh no the shields are too strong) and then it's however many minutes of the show grinding to a halt as every single character just continues to try the exact same tactic they already know won't work as the show waits to spring the Boba Rancor reveal. It sucks and I don't understand why the show didn't bother to utilize the elements it had already established in the first few episodes.

Like, normally in a movie/tv situation like this you'd have this ragtag group under siege and losing until they all realize they have a synergistic strategy for using their disparate talents and abilites to turn the tide, right? And the show already told us they all have unique talents; Krrsantan is a loving tank who can just hammer on poo poo with his brass knuckles, Mando just spent half an episode learning how to use the Darksaber properly, Boba has ferocious Tusken melee skills now, the Mods all have unique implants and sleek speedy Vespas, Fennec is stealthy, etc. But aside from a couple of short scenes (which I'll get to) none of that is really utilized. They all just duck behind cover and shoot at the things for ten minutes. That's it.

Utilize that poo poo! Krrsantan has a moment where he hammers on the shield and realizes it's getting slightly weaker before he's tackled, but he never once tells anyone or tries it again. Mando takes a few big whacks with the Darksaber and even has a line about kinetic weapons being too fast, why not use the saber in a slow and deliberate way, like Qui-Gon trying to slowly melt the blast door in Phantom Menace? Boba spent a whole episode learning how to use the Gaffi stick, have him team up with Krrsantan and literally punch a hole in the shield with persistence. Maybe the mod guy's eye can see pinpoint weaknesses in shield strength, or the mod girl's droid arm can slowly go through it and lob a grenade, or maybe the entire Mod gang zips around on their Vespas picking off grunts. Have the Freetown folks ram their giant speeder into the droid instead of just cowering behind it. Whatever, there's countless ways you could have done that sequence differently and in a way that justified how long it went on and gave each of these characters you've slowly introduced a little spotlight instead of just adding them to the pile of idiots who can only think of one bad tactic.

You've also made a big deal about Boba trying to improve the town and rule with benevolence and you've tied it into his time with the Tuskens, a group of natives oppressed by offworlders, loving tie that poo poo into the finale. Boba wants to clear the spice trade in Mos Espa, he gave these punk kids a purpose, he took on the greedy watermonger and the corrupt mayor; have the people of Mos Espa recognize that and come to his aid when he's pinned down or something. Have your "Well, we're hosed but we're gonna go down swinging" moment and then all of a sudden blaster bolts come out of nowhere as the townsfolk decide they've had enough. It would even improve that ending scene because now these aren't just people bowing to the new Daimyo, they've been through poo poo together to collectively save their town from this harmful offworld gang.

I like the show and I don't have a problem with any of the characters in it, but the show never seemed to know what to do with any of them after their introductions and the finale suffered because of it. I'm just nitpicking to nitpick in a post-mortem, but man is it frustrating.

All the pieces were there, you just needed to stick them together properly.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 9, 2022

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
This wasn't as good as Mando overall , but it was still drat good and I really loved the finale.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Mandrel posted:

yeah same. it's still not clear to me whether we're supposed to think she's dead or not. it's weird they conspicuously showed the chief's body and the kid's stick but not her after she was featured so heavily

That's exactly it. So many cool things are being set up and not paid off:
- The Hutts leaving suspiciously
- The Rancor gift
- The vanishing Tusken lady
- The Mods' body modifications
- The hint at Bib's "double-cross"
- And many more I can't think of right now
Nearly every review, podcast or forum discussion I saw has picked up on at least one or even several of these things with a "ooh, this is going to pay off in the future".
It's baffling how often the writers seem to fail to pick up on storytelling opportunities that 90% of the viewers spot right away.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

site posted:

i had no reason to, but i was secretly hoping that the conversation between bane and the pyke leader where cad asked if the leader was sure all the tuskens were dead was leading into Boba leaving to get reinforcements only to come back with tusken lady and a few other survivors

I still can’t wrap my ahead around the idea that Boba wants to be this crime lord running specifically AGAINST crime (spice running) and his entire crew to overlook/run a racketeering is… like 10 people? 2 of which are mercs that were temporarily hired? And now 2 of them are dead?

He’s going about acting like a sheriff more than anything. What was the point of ANYTHING in this loving show?

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

If I was ten years old and saw all that I'd think it was one of the coolest things I've ever seen. In which case I'd say the episode was a resounding success.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

[good stuff]

All the pieces were there, you just needed to stick them together properly.

Thank you for summing up my feelings so nicely :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What was the point of ANYTHING in this loving show?

To keep us warm until they could get Obi Wan, Mando S3, etc in rotation.

Boba Fett was basically a fluffer to keep us hard for the Star War shows they're actually gonna put some effort into writing well.