Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

origins is one of the worst games I’ve (very briefly) played

lifeless, dull, outrageously ugly, like “can’t render objects more than ten feet away” levels of ugly

at least it cured me of the temptation to try any more of those timesinks

Are you playing with the game installed to an external HDD? Sounds like data bandwidth issues, because the game should be stable in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I’m not especially enthusiastic about Origins but that doesn’t match my experience with it at all even when I had a base PS4

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Oxxidation posted:

origins is one of the worst games I’ve (very briefly) played

lifeless, dull

I wouldn't call assassins creed games lifeless or dull, from the ones I've played (Black flag for free with a gfx card and a rented origins copy) they are more uninspiring, formulaic, bloated and confused

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
oxx's playstation is bust and they dont even know it lol

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
but is bust’s playstation oxx?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i hate the ubisoft shtick but have an unaccountable soft spot for Black Flag. more or less came out at a perfect time, since the big budget pirate game hadn't been done

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I liked the pirating and I liked the weird meta frame story about how you're exploring history so a huge evil corporation who is definitely not ubisoft can make assassin vs templar video games

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think Origins had the prettiest and most interesting environmental design out of any of the Assassin's Creeds I've played. My favorite is that if you ride through the desert, there's a bunch of hallucinations that you can have. And it's not particularly relevant throughout the course of the game, and there's even big chunks of the map that the game never points you to go to.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i hate the ubisoft shtick but have an unaccountable soft spot for Black Flag. more or less came out at a perfect time, since the big budget pirate game hadn't been done

I liked AC4 a lot, and it is the only big pirate game there's been for a long while, but I feel like while it's a good game, it's not all that great as a pirate game.

Like it's a great experience sailing the ship and maneuvering and firing in battle, but I do get annoyed at the lack of strategic depth in just working down a ship's health bar and then when you board you've just got some random tasks to fulfill to make the ship's crew surrender as opposed to all the fun I had with Sid Meier's Pirates where there's everything to consider from the direction of the wind to help with maneuvering (or even being able to catch up with your target) to deciding to charge in and board so you can leave the ship undamaged and more valuable or deciding to keep your distance to make the ship surrender before you set foot on it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think Origins had the prettiest and most interesting environmental design out of any of the Assassin's Creeds I've played. My favorite is that if you ride through the desert, there's a bunch of hallucinations that you can have. And it's not particularly relevant throughout the course of the game, and there's even big chunks of the map that the game never points you to go to.

One of the times trophies are good because I doubt I would have seen all the desert hallucinations without one pointing me to them.

Rogue is probably a better pirate game than 4 tbh

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

oxx's playstation is bust and they dont even know it lol

could be the install was bad but the rest of the game was so rancid that it didn’t matter much

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Feels Villeneuve posted:

There has yet to be a pirate game to beat Sid Meier’s Pirates!

e;fb

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The Days Gone thread is pretty dead so I complain about little problems in Days Gone?

Why are the controls so jaaaaanky?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

So they fit in with the rest of the game

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Gonna pick up SR:TT Remastered with the tax refund, how's IV? Both editions I'm looking at come with all DLC content as well, I'd be spending $40 overall and adore Saints Row to begin with.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

D34THROW posted:

Gonna pick up SR:TT Remastered with the tax refund, how's IV? Both editions I'm looking at come with all DLC content as well, I'd be spending $40 overall and adore Saints Row to begin with.

I'm a huge SR fan and in a lot of ways it's the peak of the series but has some funny issues. The main one is that the powers are so fun that the cars/ground level start feeling kinda pointless. If you enjoy the series though definitely grab it, there's a lot of game there and it's entertaining right through the end.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did they remaster SRIV or are you just picking up the original version? It’s my favourite of the series

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, 4 is an entirely different game than the other 3. The first three games are more or less GTAs. Then 4 is GTA with all the cheat codes turned on

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
SR4 was OK but I still hate that they had this perfect GTA clone with a goofier, unpretentious tone in SR2 which made it a perfect alternative to GTA4/5's ambitions, and they threw it away to just focus on wackiness.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sakurazuka posted:

So they fit in with the rest of the game

And I hate wolves.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Escobarbarian posted:

Did they remaster SRIV or are you just picking up the original version? It’s my favourite of the series

SRIV is just the PS4 port, only SR3 got a full remaster since it didn't get a PS4/Bone generation release.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

A little miffed that Shadow of War will spice up the fun by randomly removing some of your orcs and replacing them with hostile ones. My all-Tower and all-Bruz forts are some of my most prized assets and I won't see them threatened

I'm up to Alexandria in Assassin's Creed Origins, it's a little better. I think I was mostly having trouble with the controls, but I'm into the swing of it now. Pretty!

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Feb 8, 2022

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Inspector Hound posted:

I'm up to Alexandria in Assassin's Creed Origins, it's a little better. I think I was mostly having trouble with the controls, but I'm into the swing of it now. Pretty!

The controls definitely felt weird to me at first, especially because I was expecting it to feel like the previous AC games.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I didn't gel well with Origins, but there's no denying it's a stupid pretty game

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Addicted to House Flipper, send help.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Uncharted Movie is finally happening and I'm stunned that they have Tom Holland playing Drake for the entire thing and not just him as a teenager.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RareAcumen posted:

The Uncharted Movie is finally happening and I'm stunned that they have Tom Holland playing Drake for the entire thing and not just him as a teenager.

They'll probably be banking on a franchise and going with someone younger so the studio can get a long run of work out of them.

Definitely still real stupid though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clearly Sony was more interested in selling the movie to a broader audience than they were trying to appeal to fans of the game. Just terrible casting. Nothing against Tom Holland but just lol at that dude playing nathan drake. Him as Drake and Marky Mark as Sully is late 1990s levels of "idgaf about the source material"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Not that it matters. making uncharted into a movie is a boring rear end idea at it's core. skeptical of the TLOU TV show for the same reasons. Naughty Dog's whole appeal is that they bring existing TV/Movie tropes into a video game and execute it well. If you take the game part out it's just some generic adventure/post apocalypse stuff.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

veni veni veni posted:

Not that it matters. making uncharted into a movie is a boring rear end idea at it's core. skeptical of the TLOU TV show for the same reasons. Naughty Dog's whole appeal is that they bring existing TV/Movie tropes into a video game and execute it well. If you take the game part out it's just some generic adventure/post apocalypse stuff.

The Last Of Us has enough breadth to it to be turned into a show, I think. It'd work if you did something like using Joel and Elly as the audience surrogates for a look into how individual cities and towns have fallen or evolved since the big outbreak.

And likely leaving them utterly destroyed, or everyone dead, by the time they're leaving to head off to the next.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Last Of Us has enough breadth to it to be turned into a show, I think. It'd work if you did something like using Joel and Elly as the audience surrogates for a look into how individual cities and towns have fallen or evolved since the big outbreak.

And likely leaving them utterly destroyed, or everyone dead, by the time they're leaving to head off to the next.

Uncharted probably has enough content for a couple of 13 episode seasons too, especially if each season just followed the plot of one game.

It's just that stories have to be "adapted" for tv/film to better place it for whatever audience an exec thinks it's best suited for. Which usually means chopping and changing poo poo needlessly, especially if the story of a game is already film like.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

I know there are some Virtua Fighter stans on the forums, so fyi the Legendary Pack DLC for Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown (with all the Virtua Fighter 1 skins and arenas and AI and music, plus a bunch of other stuff) got its first discount, 40% off down to $5.99.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0177-CUSA27065_00-VFESDLC000000001

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

veni veni veni posted:

Not that it matters. making uncharted into a movie is a boring rear end idea at it's core.
Haven't you ever wondered what it would be like if Indiana Jones were a movie

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Kin posted:

Uncharted probably has enough content for a couple of 13 episode seasons too, especially if each season just followed the plot of one game.

It's just that stories have to be "adapted" for tv/film to better place it for whatever audience an exec thinks it's best suited for. Which usually means chopping and changing poo poo needlessly, especially if the story of a game is already film like.

really cannot imagine spending the length of an uncharted game watching a filmed adaptation of the same story where i don't get to do any of the cool moves. what a waste of time for all involved

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Some brief gameplay footage of Forbidden West running on base PS4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlvmZIEH1kQ

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

please, youtube, give us a better bitrate already.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

Weedle posted:

really cannot imagine spending the length of an uncharted game watching a filmed adaptation of the same story where i don't get to do any of the cool moves. what a waste of time for all involved

Yeah and how are they going to handle the QTE's?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Looks like Heaven's Vault has never gone on sale on PS4. It looks really pretty and the concept seems up my alley, so I may grab this next week.

I also need to get around to the Judgment sequel. Too many games!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rinkles posted:

please, youtube, give us a better bitrate already.

That's just how it looks on PS4

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

That's just how it looks on PS4

i mean that it's hard to tell is my point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

veni veni veni posted:

I always think this every time a Fallout TV show gets development rumors. Like, what would it even be? Jack Vault Dweller fighting to save his girlfriend from the mutant hordes? What would it possibly be that would differentiate it from every lovely SyFy original?