Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

I Am Fowl posted:

The neck-snapping force of the tonal shift in the Taisho Secret segment made me laugh. It was great.

they've been pretty hilarious for that reason for the last 3 or 4 episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

The battle between Uzui and Tengen was so beautifully animated I had to clip it. I particularly love the bit where they are going at it, and as they are screaming at each other the camera keeps cutting back and forth from their faces to the battle until it is fully zoomed in on just their eyes.

I read the rules and I didn't see anything against sharing short clips from a show. Obviously spoilers for the fight if you haven't watched the latest episode.

EDIT: I went ahead and re-recorded it to capture the entire fight. New clip URL below if anyone wants to watch it. Be sure to click on the little gear icon and enable 1080p.

https://streamable.com/6c33qi

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Feb 9, 2022

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

threeagainstfour posted:

The battle between Uzui and Tengen was so beautifully animated I had to clip it. I particularly love the bit where they are going at it, and as they are screaming at each other the camera keeps cutting back and forth from their faces to the battle until it is fully zoomed in on just their eyes.

I read the rules and I didn't see anything against sharing short clips from a show. Obviously spoilers for the fight if you haven't watched the latest episode.

https://streamable.com/pjzyyq

People post clips all the time here and this very much appreciated versus trying to find this on youtube where it'll be chopped up.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
After that I kind of have to wonder, and maybe this is touched on later in the manga, how all this oni business stays quiet. Yoshiwara just exploded. That seems hard to keep secret, even in the Taisho period.

I know it's not treated like some MIB-level "NO ONE CAN KNOW" deal, and Muzan goes out of his way to avoid (direct) attention, but... Yoshiwara just loving exploded

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

OnimaruXLR posted:

After that I kind of have to wonder, and maybe this is touched on later in the manga, how all this oni business stays quiet. Yoshiwara just exploded. That seems hard to keep secret, even in the Taisho period.

I know it's not treated like some MIB-level "NO ONE CAN KNOW" deal, and Muzan goes out of his way to avoid (direct) attention, but... Yoshiwara just loving exploded

wikipedia posted:

In 1913, the area was damaged by an extensive fire...

looks like they didn't keep it a secret

i guess it's easier for the authorities living in a city with very densely packed wood structures and early 20th century gas and electric infrastructure to blame out of control fires on non-demon sources, despite some incoherent stories from a handful of survivors

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

OnimaruXLR posted:

I mean, the Demon Slayer Corps is more trying to keep their existence a secret because the government of Japan at the time wouldn't have taken kindly to a paramilitary organization of swordsmen.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah what happened is historically blamed on a fire. And other then a few people who would look crazy, that's all most people would think of it.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
I know this show doesn't really discuss the politics of that era of Japan. But drat, when World War 1 or 2 comes around, Tanjiro and whoever else that survives this story is going to get drafted.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

davidHalestorm posted:

I know this show doesn't really discuss the politics of that era of Japan. But drat, when World War 1 or 2 comes around, Tanjiro and whoever else that survives this story is going to get drafted.

Kimetsu No Yaiba 2, in which the annexation of Korea is retroactively justified because it was full of demons or something

marumaru
May 20, 2013

davidHalestorm posted:

"black powder breathing: 4 bullets to the face"

swordfighting had its days counted

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Yeah this taking place in the Taisho era kinda makes any possible victory over the demons a bit uh, muted given what happens over the next couple decades

It's a way more interesting time though, beats setting it in warring states era Japan.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

davidHalestorm posted:

Eh, it's like 1913. They'll probably be outside of draft age. Or in Inosuke's case, living in the mountains.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Tanjiro rear end pull by going demon slayer super saiyin: Oh ok sure fine plot armor booo
Inosuke rear end pull by literally moving his organs around: YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I finally got caught up. Great episode, I knew Tanjiro's sudden scar change season 1 HAD to mean something.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Tanjiro rear end pull by going demon slayer super saiyin: Oh ok sure fine plot armor booo
Inosuke rear end pull by literally moving his organs around: YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I finally got caught up. Great episode, I knew Tanjiro's sudden scar change season 1 HAD to mean something.

To be honest I never noticed the scar change until they did that flashback and I was like "wait a minute". It's jarring how different it looks.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
Japan entered WW1 in 1914, so any surviving members of the Demon Slayer Corps would have likely been drafted then. Tanjiro was born in like 1898 so he, Zenitsu, and Inosuke would be at the upper end of drafting age when Japan started their mainland hyjinx in the early 30s.

Edit: MANGA SPOILER.

Due to being blind in one eye and effectively one-armed at the end of the series, Tanjiro would likely avoid service. Can't say the same for the other guys.

SchrodingersCat fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 9, 2022

marumaru
May 20, 2013

SchrodingersCat posted:

Japan entered WW1 in 1914, so any surviving members of the Demon Slayer Corps would have likely been drafted then. Tanjiro was born in like 1898 so he, Zenitsu, and Inosuke would be at the upper end of drafting age when Japan started their mainland hyjinx in the early 30s.

*manga spoilers*
wish you had labeled that as a manga spoiler my dude

marumaru fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 9, 2022

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

marumaru posted:

wish you had labeled that as a manga spoiler my dude

Sorry, yeah, I hosed up there. I fixed the post, you might want to edit as well.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Damnit, now I'm imagining that's his actual technique. Just reach on up there and jiggle 'em about.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

marumaru posted:

"black powder breathing: 4 bullets to the face"

swordfighting had its days counted

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I just finished the train episodes so i'm not sure if i need to spoiler this or not but it annoyed me enough that i came here to post about it.

As soon as Rengoku showed up he stank of overly-positive-and-friendly-senpai-who-is-introduced-so-the-protagonist-can-immediately-watch-them-die syndrome. He lasted about 2 episodes longer than i thought he would, but he ended up going out like a chump. Couldn't even manage the aiuchi kill. That's the second time the show has blueballed the audience, the other being Rui surviving Tanjiro's shounen power up attack for no reason. I hope this trend doesn't continue. What's the point of a dumb shounen show if it isn't going to giving you satisfying fights.

Also, i don't understand why the movie version of that arc is the highest grossing anime movie of all time or whatever. It was a pretty run of the mill arc. I'd rate the spider family arc higher than it. Presumably only people who watched the show would go and see it, is the show just that popular in japan?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Yes extremely

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Highest grossing movie in Japan period, not even just anime movie lol

And it’s not even close!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
The movie just hit at a time when Demon Slayer was ridiculously popular. It's a good arc, certainly, just not the best in the series. I'd say Spider Mountain or Entertainment District might be close to best.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
That's crazy. You would think it not being a standalone thing would limit its reach. I wonder if people who hadn't watched the show heard the buzz and went to watch it and ended up having to sit through an extended fight scene they had no investment in.

Also, that clown guy should have put Tanjiro in a dream that matched reality. That would have countered his suicide trick as he wouldn't know if he was in a dream or not so wouldn't be able to risk it. I'm surprised he never tried that.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
He did later in the fight but inosuke saved him from it

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
IIRC Mugen Train also came out right about the time when movie releases were slowing down due to covid, so it had little to no competition and a lot of bored people wanting to go out and enjoy watching a movie in a theatre.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Wellwinds posted:

He did later in the fight but inosuke saved him from it

I thought he just closed his eyes so he wouldn't keep getting put to sleep and didn't realise he never got put in a dream. All the cuts to him killing himself had him in the forest next to his home.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

CJ posted:

I thought he just closed his eyes so he wouldn't keep getting put to sleep and didn't realise he never got put in a dream. All the cuts to him killing himself had him in the forest next to his home.
I haven't seen the movie but in the manga Tanjiro keeps killing himself in his dream as he gets put to sleep over and over running up the train- he goes to kill himself the last time and Inosuke grabs his arm and stops him, saying something like "You're awake! Don't die in a stupid way!"

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah Innosuke does that in the movie, too.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

CJ posted:

Enmu can also put people to sleep with a voice command uttered by the mouth on his hand, which he also does in the movie.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Fabricated posted:

I haven't seen the movie but in the manga Tanjiro keeps killing himself in his dream as he gets put to sleep over and over running up the train- he goes to kill himself the last time and Inosuke grabs his arm and stops him, saying something like "You're awake! Don't die in a stupid way!"

That's what happens in the show too, but every time he is put to sleep it cuts to a black and white still of him cutting his neck in the forest.

Although i'm watching it in Japanese so i might have missed something.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

dipwood posted:

I know that the animation is top notch and everything but that last fight sequence was incomprehensible.

:hai: ufotable

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

CJ posted:

As soon as Rengoku showed up he stank of overly-positive-and-friendly-senpai-who-is-introduced-so-the-protagonist-can-immediately-watch-them-die syndrome. He lasted about 2 episodes longer than i thought he would, but he ended up going out like a chump. Couldn't even manage the aiuchi kill. That's the second time the show has blueballed the audience, the other being Rui surviving Tanjiro's shounen power up attack for no reason. I hope this trend doesn't continue. What's the point of a dumb shounen show if it isn't going to giving you satisfying fights.

My impression of this story so far is that it's a lot more "thank god that's over and some of us survived" type battles instead of "Take that, rear end in a top hat" style battles

Basically every major confrontation is like an end-of-series Jojo confrontation

As for why it's particular popular... Gundam Seed and Avatar were particularly popular, so I am completely over trying to understand why certain things get big. I at least enjoy Kimetsu, compared to those, though.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
its popular because its extremely good

hth

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
KNY does classic shounen tropes well, and the tropes are tropes for a reason. Atop of that you have unique and attractive character designs, a protagonist who's easy to root for without being dull, and it's topped off with a very slick-looking anime adaptation. None of this secures KNY's success, but it makes for a very strong sell.

I'm not always a huge fan of Ufotable's high degree of polish, but I'll be damned if they don't got the deepest, richest colors around.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

HDR version of KnY 😩

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah this is the first anime show I've splurged for the blu ray since fma brotherhood. It's just that good looking.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Good season :unsmith:

Also no surprise, but more Demon Slayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9MJjAArKBk

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Electric Phantasm posted:

Good season :unsmith:

Also no surprise, but more Demon Slayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9MJjAArKBk

The next arc is probably my favorite so looking forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Looking forward to seeing best girl Kanroji getting some screen time.