Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

Rehashing because I cannot find an authoritative source on this.

The Franchise Tax Board very specifically does not address whether it is federally taxable, only that it is not taxable for California state income tax purposes. A quick search of the instructions for the Schedule CA (California income adjustments) does not include instructions for subtracting it out, which suggests to me that the state does not expect it to be included on the 1040. But the FTB isn't the authority for federal taxes.

Some rando forum posts suggest that it might be excluded under something called the General Welfare doctrine, but all the references I can find to that are about payments from Indian & Tribal governments, not States.

I am flummoxed.

The closest analogue I can think of is the Alaska Permanent Dividend Fund, which is taxable, and for which I believe they send out 1099's.

Personally, I'd wait a few weeks and see if the state sends you a 1099.

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Feb 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

Some rando forum posts suggest that it might be excluded under something called the General Welfare doctrine, but all the references I can find to that are about payments from Indian & Tribal governments, not States.

I am flummoxed.

It’s probably non-taxable due to being limited to lower-income taxpayers. The IRS hasn’t said anything, one way or the other, but they also have bigger fish to fry.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
I’m super confused about the shares that I own from my last company, which I left a few months ago. Last year I was granted some equity as exercisable options, which I exercised and have held for around 10 months. At the time of grant, let’s say the price was $150 and market price was $250 upon exercising. Taxes on that gain were automatically withheld from my paycheck at the time. Today, the price is down to $180 and I’m considering just selling them, even though I’m not in a long term position yet. I’m not really sure what this means when I file though. I guess I’ll still make a profit when I sell but already had taxes withheld, which I’m not sure what to do with.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

UncleGuito posted:

I’m super confused about the shares that I own from my last company, which I left a few months ago. Last year I was granted some equity as exercisable options, which I exercised and have held for around 10 months. At the time of grant, let’s say the price was $150 and market price was $250 upon exercising. Taxes on that gain were automatically withheld from my paycheck at the time. Today, the price is down to $180 and I’m considering just selling them, even though I’m not in a long term position yet. I’m not really sure what this means when I file though. I guess I’ll still make a profit when I sell but already had taxes withheld, which I’m not sure what to do with.

Anything you do this year is irrelevant to last year.

2021 you pick up the gain and pay taxes on it.

If you sell them in 2022 you report that transaction on your 2022 tax return and report whatever gain or loss you end up with.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

UncleGuito posted:

Your cost basis is $250 because you realized that gain last year on exercise.

If you sell at $180 you will have a $70 loss to report. You will not get last year's tax payment back in any way. You just need to use the loss to offset any other gains you may have. If you do not that money is simply gone.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

UncleGuito posted:

In addition to the others - this was likely withheld at 22%. It is your responsibility do the math on the spread between that and your actual marginal tax rate. Your tax software is probably doing this but make sure you're not overpaying here. If your company reports the income on your w-2 you may need to adjust the basis up to $250 from the tax form you got.

Further more - if you are in a higher bracket in 2021 than you are when you sell, even if you have gains to offset, that spread is also gone. Don't worry you can carryover the loss forever until you have gains, and chomp away at it a few grand a year regardless.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This strikes me as why all the advice I've ever heard has been to sell as soon as you exercise.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Small White Dragon posted:

The closest analogue I can think of is the Alaska Permanent Dividend Fund, which is taxable, and for which I believe they send out 1099's.

Personally, I'd wait a few weeks and see if the state sends you a 1099.

The Alaska permanent fund dividend is definitely taxable. The economic impact payments (federal) are not.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KillHour posted:

This strikes me as why all the advice I've ever heard has been to sell as soon as you exercise.

ISO and ESPP shares are the only ones with any kind of big carrot incentive to hold for 1-2 years. Nso's and rsu's though? :f5: that sell button.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

H110Hawk posted:

ISO and ESPP shares are the only ones with any kind of big carrot incentive to hold for 1-2 years. Nso's and rsu's though? :f5: that sell button.

Pretty sure all of them only give you the long term capital gains rate if you hold them for more than a year after exercise, unless I’m forgetting something? Obviously if you don’t want to worry about it dropping in a year and don’t mind the ordinary tax rate then sell away though.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

MadDogMike posted:

Pretty sure all of them only give you the long term capital gains rate if you hold them for more than a year after exercise, unless I’m forgetting something? Obviously if you don’t want to worry about it dropping in a year and don’t mind the ordinary tax rate then sell away though.

RSUs don’t give you any capital gains if you sell immediately at exercise so it doesn’t matter what the tax rate is. There’s nothing to tax.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
Thanks all! To be fair, these ISOs were making a pretty nice profit until this year - it was just the most recent grant that is kind of underwater. I guess I might hold them to see if the price bounces back a bit along with the rest of tech.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MadDogMike posted:

Basically, yes. RSU's and non-ISO options (NSQ? NSO? TBD?) all of the upside is immediate ordinary income, and only the spread from that basis to your disposal price is any kind of capital gain. ESPP and ISO's let you delay those taxes until disposal and convert some of it to Capital Gains. Generally people want cap gains not ordinary income. Though ISO's show up on your AMT worksheet as income if you don't dispose of them in the same year you exercised them.

raminasi posted:

RSUs don’t give you any capital gains if you sell immediately at exercise so it doesn’t matter what the tax rate is. There’s nothing to tax.

If your company offers that it's great, ours doesn't. Even if they vest inside a trading window I still have to go mash a button, which means slight movement will inevitably have occurred generating yet more lines on my 1099-B.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

UncleGuito posted:

Thanks all! To be fair, these ISOs were making a pretty nice profit until this year - it was just the most recent grant that is kind of underwater. I guess I might hold them to see if the price bounces back a bit along with the rest of tech.

My thought is if all tech went down about the same as your shares, you may as well sell and put that money in a tech index fund. You stand to lose out if your specific company does better than all the rest of them, but you're more insulated from your company underperforming too.

Someone smarter than me can explain if/how you can use your losses today to offset those future gains.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

UncleGuito posted:

nothing makes a profit until you realize it

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

H110Hawk posted:

Basically, yes. RSU's and non-ISO options (NSQ? NSO? TBD?) all of the upside is immediate ordinary income, and only the spread from that basis to your disposal price is any kind of capital gain. ESPP and ISO's let you delay those taxes until disposal and convert some of it to Capital Gains. Generally people want cap gains not ordinary income. Though ISO's show up on your AMT worksheet as income if you don't dispose of them in the same year you exercised them.

If your company offers that it's great, ours doesn't. Even if they vest inside a trading window I still have to go mash a button, which means slight movement will inevitably have occurred generating yet more lines on my 1099-B.

Oh I’m stupid, of course there’s no gain if you sell immediately, the impact is all W-2. It’s too drat early in the season for my brain to be failing like this! :sweatdrop:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
This might not be the right thread to ask - but is LifeLock worth a poo poo? My mother's all ~proactive~ all of a sudden about "protecting their identity" and the only thing I've heard about LifeLock is that it's a royal bitch pain in the rear end to cancel once you're enrolled.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This might not be the right thread to ask - but is LifeLock worth a poo poo? My mother's all ~proactive~ all of a sudden about "protecting their identity" and the only thing I've heard about LifeLock is that it's a royal bitch pain in the rear end to cancel once you're enrolled.

No. Just lock her credit at the various agencies and it will cover like 99% of it. Get an ID theft rider on your homeowners insurance if you want coverage.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

H110Hawk posted:

No. Just lock her credit at the various agencies and it will cover like 99% of it. Get an ID theft rider on your homeowners insurance if you want coverage.

Well, in this case it's my *father's* credit, which he barely ever uses. I think the extent of ID theft my mother's suffered is that someone claimed her stimulus money, or tried to.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Is there an alternative to the ID.me thing the IRS has for getting previous filing information? Its really lovely and asking for way more things than I want to trust a private company with.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Azuth0667 posted:

Is there an alternative to the ID.me thing the IRS has for getting previous filing information? Its really lovely and asking for way more things than I want to trust a private company with.

They are thankfully dropping their braindead "facial recognition" requirement.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/02/victory-irs-wont-require-facial-recognition-idme

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Azuth0667 posted:

If you're just trying to get a transcript of your tax return for any of the last three years* you can use the transcript by mail option listed on the "Get Your Tax Record" page at IRS.GOV as long as your mailing address is the same as the one on your last tax return (or you've moved but updated your address with the IRS**).

*If you had an amended return for the years in question and you need information including that you'll want to order an account transcript as well since that will show the amended return changes.
**Filing a change of address with the USPS is also supposed to update the IRS as well but whether that actually takes place has been inconsistent.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
^^: That is what I did, will have to wait 2-3 weeks to file now but at least I don't have to do that stupid signup.

H110Hawk posted:

They are thankfully dropping their braindead "facial recognition" requirement.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/02/victory-irs-wont-require-facial-recognition-idme

Thank gently caress, I was seriously contemplating if I could get away with using a picture of my balls.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Azuth0667 posted:

Thank gently caress, I was seriously contemplating if I could get away with using a picture of my balls.

Only if a picture of your balls is indistinguishable from a picture of your face.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

That sounds like an experiment that needs to happen.

Would whatever algorithm they are using be able to discern between a face or a piece of paper cut to be the outline of a head in front of a scrotum?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Maybe not but good luck ever managing to take an identical enough picture of your balls to be able to do your taxes next year

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Azuth0667 posted:

That sounds like an experiment that needs to happen.

Would whatever algorithm they are using be able to discern between a face or a piece of paper cut to be the outline of a head in front of a scrotum?

I mean there was the one time the DoD mistook a picture of balls for an Iraqi military installation

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
RELEASE 8915-F ALREADY

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Covok posted:

RELEASE 8915-F ALREADY

I love that my tax software does not pull any information from last years 8915 forward. Just super that I have to double check every client that might have had a 1099-R to see if they opted to split over three years.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Epi Lepi posted:

I love that my tax software does not pull any information from last years 8915 forward. Just super that I have to double check every client that might have had a 1099-R to see if they opted to split over three years.

Same.

Honestly, I am so sick of this industry.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Covok posted:

RELEASE 8915-F ALREADY
TBF, the IRS has only had an entire loving year since the same exact debacle with the 8915-E to get its poo poo together. :ughh:

Azuth0667 posted:

When I heard about having to submit your picture in ID.me, my first thought was people posting spurious tax returns that would get caught in the potential fraud filters just so they could post pictures of their balls to the system that someone would be forced to look at. :sickos:

Peyote Panda fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 15, 2022

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Are there any legitimate online tax preparer services?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Upgrade posted:

Are there any legitimate online tax preparer services?

I mean, it depends? My office allows for drop off and remote work, especially since COVID. So I guess we technically are one.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Covok posted:

RELEASE 8915-F ALREADY

At least starting tomorrow my company’s software will finally let us file it; we just need to manually fill out a worksheet and scan it every time! :suicide:

Covok posted:

I mean, it depends? My office allows for drop off and remote work, especially since COVID. So I guess we technically are one.

Same here; too bad most of my clients tend to be older and less tech savvy, considering the company is trying to get more people to do things electronically.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Just got another 1099-B today. Procrastination wins again! :toot:

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Covok posted:

Want a client? :D

Covok
May 27, 2013

Upgrade posted:

Want a client? :D

I am legitimately weighing the pros and cons of having a client who knows what a goober I am online and would have my work email. Also, the logistics of how to give any info out without doxing myself.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Covok posted:

I am legitimately weighing the pros and cons of having a client who knows what a goober I am online and would have my work email. Also, the logistics of how to give any info out without doxing myself.

You’re probably too good for what is actually a very easy married filing separately situation

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Covok posted:

And do you really want someone mailing you the perfect identity theft packet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

H110Hawk posted:

And do you really want someone mailing you the perfect identity theft packet?

Do you think that we never mail information back and forth to clients?