Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
can’t wait til the PLA liberate the death camps along the US-Mexico border

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

genericnick posted:

Why Austria?

I had to study the procurement of the K.u.K Armee’s artillery arm for a paper and it kind of ballooned from there. At a certain point all military history is social history, which is economic history etc etc, until I had a bookshelf on the Austrian Empire from the Napoleonic Wars to 1919.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

I’ve thought about cancelling my verso book club sub and trying out haymarket books instead. that article and some of the book selections recently might get me to do that sooner than later

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

preventing the deaths of a million people, with far right chinese characteristics

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Wasn’t Verso a left press like Zer0?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

I know nothing about the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, other than what Austrian histories touch on with the Partitions and Galicia. I remember that several regional crises involved their elective monarchy and parliament, but again only insofar as that involved Austria.

As broadly as you like, what drove their decline?

The Polish-Lithuania Commonwealth was a constitutionally elective monarchy where the lower nobility theoretically had the weight of the vote but it was really controlled by a small number of landed magnates.

After an colonial expansion to the East, they got bogged down in a quagmire in an attempt to hold Moscow, and due to an inability to raise taxes or modernize its military to the gunpowder age, eventually were pushed back and over time would become little more than a puppet state of neighboring powers.

There is more but that is the basic summary.

Essentially, imperial states where oligarchs hold the weight of power will usually implode quicker than more centralized states because not only will oligarchs not tax themselves but they usually see themselves as a practically a separate culture than the masses. Eventually, they become so insular that they completely lose track of what is actually occurring and essentially live in a fantasy world of their own creation.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 18:41 on Feb 9, 2022

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

China has developed clouds of drones capable of lighting up the night sky in coordinated formations, but US officials are concerned the drones could fly around in formations besides a celebratory display

historically accurate. China just made fireworks with gunpowder while the Europeans rushed to weaponize it.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

1. steel mill, not a power plant

2. the picture has been super desaturated to make it look gloomier than it really is

Ahhh that makes sense

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

GlassEye-Boy posted:

historically accurate. China just made fireworks with gunpowder while the Europeans rushed to weaponize it.

The Chinese firelance also preceded Western firearms…they were just a lot more advanced period.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

ladies and gentlemen, we got em

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSF-4xjmsUA

Gresh has issued a correction as of 18:47 on Feb 9, 2022

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

iirc the main reason Europeans developed cannons & firearms while the Chinese stuck with bombs & fire lances was that European castle walls were relatively thin and could actually be knocked down with a cannon ball. Chinese city walls otoh were way bigger, wider, and reinforced with massive earthworks at their core. So cannons in Chinese warfare would've been useless until about the time Europeans had to develop star forts.

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

is that a tower in your pants or are you just happy to see me

Breakfast All Day posted:

preventing the deaths of a million people, with far right chinese characteristics

think of all the baby novel coronavirus fetuses aborted by the evil far right literally hitler chinese regime

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ardennes posted:

The Polish-Lithuania Commonwealth was a constitutionally elective monarchy where the lower nobility theoretically had the weight of the vote but it was really controlled by a small number of landed magnates.

After an colonial expansion to the East, they got bogged down in a quagmire in an attempt to hold Moscow, and due to an inability to raise taxes or modernize its military to the gunpowder age, eventually were pushed back and over time would become little more than a puppet state of neighboring powers.

There is more but that is the basic summary.

Essentially, imperial states where oligarchs hold the weight of power will usually implode quicker than more centralized states because not only will oligarchs not tax themselves but they usually see themselves as a practically a separate culture than the masses. Eventually, they become so insular that they completely lose track of what is actually occurring and essentially live in a fantasy world of their own creation.

Thanks for that, I can see why that’s alarming!

Being a decentralized state surrounded by European Great Powers seems like a recipe for disaster. I’m guessing any attempts to centralize or reform were shutdown by the oligarchs eh?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

is Biden posing in front of the UPA flag at that press conference? UPA colors are supposed to be red on top and black on the bottom. did they hang it upside down?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

iirc the main reason Europeans developed cannons & firearms while the Chinese stuck with bombs & fire lances was that European castle walls were relatively thin and could actually be knocked down with a cannon ball. Chinese city walls otoh were way bigger, wider, and reinforced with massive earthworks at their core. So cannons in Chinese warfare would've been useless until about the time Europeans had to develop star forts.

Also, Ming-era (mid-1600s) bimetallic cannons were actually competitive for the period and even gave the British some trouble during the opium wars. If even moderate progress has occurred under the Qing, the wars wouldn’t have happened in the first place.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Ardennes posted:

Also, Ming-era (mid-1600s) bimetallic cannons were actually competitive for the period and even gave the British some trouble during the opium wars. If even moderate progress has occurred under the Qing, the wars wouldn’t have happened in the first place.

People don't give the Chinese and other East Asian nations enough credit for advancing rocketry either.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/gundamcel/status/1491206472050802688?t=iDkSfF9yhgzCeYpQcRRUzg&s=19

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Even by the Opium Wars and Taiping Rebellion, artillery could not defeat Chinese walled cities or forts, for exactly the reasons you said. When the British and French took Chinese forts they bombarded them until they could land troops to storm them, spike the guns and blow up the magazines. They had sophisticated guns, much better than the antiques the Chinese had, and won gunnery duels with the forts at a time when doctrine held that forts always defeat ships, but their shells’ explosive filler was black powder. It wasn’t until high explosives came about that ordnance was energetic enough to break them up.

This also happened in the siege of Plevna during the Russian Turkish wars. Artillery as an arm was getting pretty sophisticated, guns could deliver accurate fire, shell and shrapnel were in general use, but black powder limited effect on target.

“Here the battle began, from a south-easterly direction, by the sudden opening of twenty-four guns upon a little battery in the very front of the position. I was not in that battery during the day, so I cannot detail the incidents which occurred there; but it will please the Russians to know that, though they fired nearly 500 shells into its confined area, and ploughed up every metre of ground in it, they only wounded one Turk and did some trifling damage —quickly repaired —to a gun carriage. Of the next battery I can speak from personal observation. Thirteen hours’ fire, sometimes from thirty guns at once, carried no harm of any kind into that battery. Dr. Ryan, an Irishman, who was there in the medical service of the Turks, had not a single case.”

“The reasons for the lack of damage are most likely the soft clay soil found around Plevna and the lack of sufficient numbers of large siege guns in the Russian artillery arsenal there.”

Chinese walls are also largely clay-based, I believe.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 19:11 on Feb 9, 2022

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

Thanks for that, I can see why that’s alarming!

Being a decentralized state surrounded by European Great Powers seems like a recipe for disaster. I’m guessing any attempts to centralize or reform were shutdown by the oligarchs eh?

A big part of it was that the nobility itself wanted to ride into battle as cavalry (winged hussars) and while this successful against underarmed forces, the commonwealth wasn’t prepared to pay for a more modern gunpowder based army of trained peasants since the nobility would essentially be irrelevant except as a potential tax base. Also, their navy eventually rotted at the moorings since they refused to pay for it. This is the period of the “Deluge” as rival armies essentially marched across Poland at will.

Eventually, all of their neighbors had modern militaries had gunpowder based infantry forces that could easily crush them (and often did) but the Commonwealth persisted because they couldn’t agree about who should control it until it was eventually just partitioned.

——

Yeah, Chinese forts often held out for a while but usually it came down to attrition as British cannons could almost always outrange them as you said, until they provided covering fire for ground forces.

It wasn’t fated to be though a lot of it simply came down to how the Qing managed China. I don’t think the CPC is still that hot on the Qing.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 19:18 on Feb 9, 2022

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > C-SPAM > [Eurasia] Never thought I'd come around on Deng, yet here we are
Deng Was Right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTOBvGzurxA

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

$60 at GameStop that’s how much

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/DerekJGrossman/status/1491427532855341058

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
maybe india should stop sucking rear end

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Angel wing harnesses and decorative leopard skins were the early modern version of the F-35.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

are these the anti-communist leftists that Parenti talks about

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I’ll try to find it but one of those “Why China is doomed” books written by an American author suggests some sort of religious revival is underway that will sweep away in CCP in a modern Taiping Rebellion only this time they’ll be proper Evangelical Protestants.

I hadn’t realized the snake handlers had also pivoted to China instead of the middle east, but they are part or that conservative coalition and I should’ve seen this coming. Wild.

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

is that a tower in your pants or are you just happy to see me

Frosted Flake posted:

I’ll try to find it but one of those “Why China is doomed” books written by an American author suggests some sort of religious revival is underway that will sweep away in CCP in a modern Taiping Rebellion only this time they’ll be proper Evangelical Protestants.

I hadn’t realized the snake handlers had also pivoted to China instead of the middle east, but they are part or that conservative coalition and I should’ve seen this coming. Wild.

evangelicals have gone hogwild there but from what i understand christians can't be members of the CPC which is a really good policy considering evangelicals are going hogwild there

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Seriously though, did they set up a UPA flag for Biden's press conference? I'm not crazy, right?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I hope China builds a loving wall around Mt.Kailash and prevents another loving indian pilgrim from setting foot in Humla and doing the pilgrimage up there. Humla is one of the poorest regions of Nepal and also where the Maoists started the people's war. Due to the changes in economies and production in both Tibet and India after WWII, Humla's poverty became worse.

Humla had once been a petty kingdom relying on the salt trade between Tibet and India. It was conquered by Kathmandu and the Gorkha kingdom (Now Nepal) around the late 1800s. The war left it's infrastructure destroyed and its profits/production to be sucked out towards Kathmandu and rest of Nepal. The changes in India (introduction of iodized salts, industrial agriculture, demarcation of borders) and Tibet (closure of the border and splitting of the trading communities after China took over) left what remained in Humla to crumble to dust. Humla from 1950's onwards had a continuous artificial famine all the way to the present. Also the border disputes between India and China closed off the traditional routes to Mt.Kailash (where Shiva resides in Hinduism) and the closest one can get to the glaciers and foot of the mountain was through Humla. Huge numbers of Indian pilgrims would come through Humla. But since Humla didn't have sufficient food production for itself, and no interstate highway connection, the whole food situation was made worse. The Nepali government focused on providing for the pilgrims at the expense of the people living in Humla ( thanks to the efforts of the IMF and WB which promoted tourism). The whole food and poverty situation has only gotten worse. Now days there is an airport in Simkot that ferries Indian pilgrims in helicopter up to the Mt.Kailash circuit. There is a huge resort that overlooks the town which at the time of my research there was eating up something like 50% of all food imported into the region.

The only people who have done anything to alleviate the structural problem of Humla's poverty has been the Maoists (with the people's war) and China (probably unintentionally, since the highway they have made up to the border was more in regards to border security etc).

ughhhh has issued a correction as of 19:52 on Feb 9, 2022

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i love living in the capital of the world's strongest and richest nation where there is exactly 0 distilled water is available

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
distill it yourself lazy rear end

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

distill deez nuts

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
building a still to produce the one gallon i need every other day for the humidifier

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

building a still to produce the one gallon i need every other day for the humidifier

just plug a dehumidifier in and then distill what you collect from that

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

thinking about those thicc chinese walls

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Apparently it’s fashionable in the D&D thread to refer to Chinese journalists as “state media handlers” lol

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i love living in the capital of the world's strongest and richest nation where there is exactly 0 distilled water is available
what happened to american ingenuity???

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

sucks to need a cpap there I guess

i hope people like brain eating amoebas

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley
The funny thing is America could have easily won the coming confrontation with the stroke of a pen by admitting Russia into NATO in 2002 when they asked. Doing so would have fully contained china.

But since Lockheed Martin runs our entire economy we needed the Russian threat to increase arms sales so lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Centrist Committee posted:

thinking about those thicc chinese walls

help me, steppe nomads, my walls are too thick and I'm stuck!