Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

:lmao:

American media proclaimed all attempts to talk Russia out of whatever Russia is doing have failed and Russia will continue to do whatever it is they're doing. They make it all sound dire. At least Russia wants everyone to remain calm with statements like "We hope that the escalation of the situation in Ukraine will not lead to a stage that calls for a military response from us."

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1491359729398206466

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1491366957513584649

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The sea turtle strikes back.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
oh no! not zhirik!

https://twitter.com/olliecarroll/status/1491434666280521730

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Well, maybe he will do one decent thing in his life and encourage some people to get vaccinated by the example of what happened to him.

... didn't work out the same for many of his ilk in US, but hey, different countries.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

We seek peaceful integration.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
In lighter news, a local Communist Party leader from St. Petersburg got fined for posting a quote by Sartre online. The quote in question is 'Every anti-communist is a bastard', which the court ruled offends and incites hatred toward the social group of anti-communists.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/sumlenny/status/1491465654322581511?t=HU_rKenUTLtDXMudS5F1Zg&s=19

A pretty significant escalation here.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Sounds like it might be time for NATO to have some 'fire exercises' outside of some of Russia's northern ports where they've moved troops and ships from.

You know, for fire safety.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Joint Russia-Belarus military drills begin tomorrow.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Oracle posted:

Sounds like it might be time for NATO to have some 'fire exercises' outside of some of Russia's northern ports where they've moved troops and ships from.
Or just give funds and arms to the many separatist groups in the North Caucasus.

Regrettably any sort of preemtive measure against Russia will be used as internal propaganda to bolster military support.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Budzilla posted:

Or just give funds and arms to the many separatist groups in the North Caucasus.

Regrettably any sort of preemtive measure against Russia will be used as internal propaganda to bolster military support.

The former Caucasus Emirate is basically just ISIS now so you might want to reconsider your initial kneejerk response there even aside from the Russian propaganda response.

Oracle posted:

You know, for fire safety.

Even hawks aren't proposing tit for tat retaliations against Russia. This is basically a step behind saying we should invade Russia if they invade Ukraine.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

"See that little strip of sea to the west? It's not a naval blockade, and thus not an act of war at all"

I'm giving it 50/50 this is it or the first feint before the real thing.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Watch Biden jump the gun and sanction Russia on a feint. Then Putin can shrug and go well we have to Invade now

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Orthanc6 posted:

"See that little strip of sea to the west? It's not a naval blockade, and thus not an act of war at all"

I'm giving it 50/50 this is it or the first feint before the real thing.

Its not the real thing, but its testing the boundaries of ordinary conduct right to the limit.

E: like this is a classic Russia move. NOTAMS are established good practice in international law. Using them in this way dares the west to say 'this is Bullshit and we are changing the rules to stop you' at which point Russia claims double standards.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 9, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Meanwhile in the tiny satrapy of Finland...

The chairman of the Parliamentary Committee of Foreign Affairs, Mika Niikko (The Finns, a right wing conservative party) tweeted on Tuesday that Macron or some other "wise man" of the west should defuse the situation by telling Ukraine that they will not become a Nato member. As a background, he's a Pentacostal conservative who's previously been claimed to be influenced by China because of his business ties there.

This tweet was immediately shot down by everyone, including his own party, as it was opposite to Finland's official stance, and due to his position in the committee he should have been more careful about his messaging. Soon after, he resigned from the chair.

Now TF is proposing for the position their previous party leader, Jussi Halla-aho ("the Master" as the alt-right pepes call him). Halla-aho is an agnostic PhD of Old Church Slavonic and also a conscientous objector to conscription (although he's later regretted this) and also plays speed metal in a band called Blasphemia. He's been convicted to fines of hate speech against Muslims and Somalians, who he wrote in his blog are pedophiles and robbers. So, a very nice bloke overall.

Anyway, he has a very different view to Russia, saying that all negotiations should be ended because Russia is not interested in actual negotiations, period. He also speaks Ukrainian and has worked in Finnish embassy in Kyiv, so weirdly the racist party had the right person to fix this incident.

https://twitter.com/Halla_aho/status/1491325273702551555

(response to Ukrainian ambassador in Finland)

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Its not the real thing, but its testing the boundaries of ordinary conduct right to the limit.

E: like this is a classic Russia move. NOTAMS are established good practice in international law. Using them in this way dares the west to say 'this is Bullshit and we are changing the rules to stop you' at which point Russia claims double standards.

It really is a very Russia move, and the only reason I think it might be the real deal is because I don't see any off ramp in the near-future, and there's very little wiggle room left here. That tiny spit of ocean is the only thing separating this "exercise" from being an actual full naval blockade. It's a game of chicken where one guy is sitting still and the guy speeding at him keeps pulling away later and later. GIGOLO is probably right that Putin's dream is where the West freaks out here and gives him the Casus Belli.

War never changes: Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
The Russians already have 2 or 3 CBs they can use plus wholesale manufacture.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Orthanc6 posted:

It really is a very Russia move, and the only reason I think it might be the real deal is because I don't see any off ramp in the near-future, and there's very little wiggle room left here. That tiny spit of ocean is the only thing separating this "exercise" from being an actual full naval blockade. It's a game of chicken where one guy is sitting still and the guy speeding at him keeps pulling away later and later. GIGOLO is probably right that Putin's dream is where the West freaks out here and gives him the Casus Belli.

War never changes: Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

So the silver lining is that russia wouldn't still be upping the ante and dialing up the pressure in this way if the decision to have a real war had been made.

This is probing the thresholds for what will provoke a reaction from the West.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 10, 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Alchenar posted:

ffiw NOTAMs are no more a "blockade" than a severe weather warning it. Its just an automated message and then only for pilots

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 10, 2022

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
This is just issuing a standard warning for the area where they're conducting the naval exercises they announced weeks ago.

Of course, said exercises are part of the preamble to an invasion, but if they weren't it'd be entirely normal.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Finland is being the cleverest participant. With a bunch of stuff to stake against Russia, if Finland joins Sweden will join too, and Putin is like wait what this is the opposite of what I wanted.

Some posters previously said that at least Putin is a rational actor. His not a rational actor. His dislike or Rusdias internal affairs and love for geopolotics has become a meme now. Babushkas crying out to Putin that bukwheat became unaffordable and he brushes that aside as beneath his station because his is not buckwheat but rather a world leader who redraws borders and changes governments. He is not admitted to the border changing table so he is crying out, "pls talk to me" because he is getting old existential crysis of not becoming the greatest leader is creeping in.

There are a bunch of plays you can do to influence the countries on global scale:

1. Money, strIght up bribe the government which USA and China do fairly fairly succesfully. Russia doesnt have that.
2. Economy, this is what EU does, you want access to our market of stupidly rich people give us some concessions, Russia cant compete there.
3. War. Gimme what I want or I will wreck you. This is the final say that Russia has on anything whatsoever yet they bully on Ukraine instead of their real enemies USA and europe. Not only it is very unclear if they are cspable of winning this war without country wide mobilisation, there is literally nothing that they could gain there.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

ability to coerce with violence shouldn't be underestimated. its the foundation of our society.

rationality isn't really a thing. All you can say is that someone has aligned their self interest with their actions. what is a thing however is success. Putin has been very successful. if he wasnt we'd be talking about him like kerensky. I think what people mean here is that he is self interested in a traditional sense, not wanting to preform suicidal actions due to magical thinking

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 10, 2022

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

FishBulbia posted:

rationality isn't really a thing. All you can say is that someone has aligned their self interest with their actions.
+1. Just because you disagree with someone's priors doesn't make them necessarily irrational (even if those priors prove to be laughably incorrect). It's important to try to understand where Putin is coming from and the constraints that affect him to better respond to his threats.

I tend to believe that Putin is deeply aware of the potential cost of invasion on Russia, had believed the threat of force would be sufficient, had not anticipated the Western pushback being on the scale that it is, and is still making up his mind on following through. His yelling at the French reporters is demonstrative of this.

That's why I think stonewalling on Ukraine is the right approach. Shut down the bullshit ultimatums, while taking time to remind him that he got himself into this mess and that everyone's willing to meaningfully engage with him on other matters if he stops throwing this tantrum.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I was just thinking about that timeline in which he took power instead of Yeltsin, nuked Grozny, almost started WW3 over Bosnia, and punched Tony Blair in the face.
Fuckity gently caress him.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

OddObserver posted:

Well, maybe he will do one decent thing in his life and encourage some people to get vaccinated by the example of what happened to him.

... didn't work out the same for many of his ilk in US, but hey, different countries.

He actually insisted that he vaxxed eight times!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fatherboxx posted:

He actually insisted that he vaxxed eight times!

We had a scheme here where people were paying homeless to take vaccine in their stead. If I recall correctly, journalists found some homeless dude who had 17 or 18 vaccine shots.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

cinci zoo sniper posted:

We had a scheme here where people were paying homeless to take vaccine in their stead. If I recall correctly, journalists found some homeless dude who had 17 or 18 vaccine shots.

Yet another point of similarity between goons and hobos

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Cugel and FishBulba (lol hilarious nickname) you talk about Putin as if some inscrutable blackbox which brews megaplans. Threats of violence? Completely negated by Ukranians themseves who are prepared to fight and honestly they'll be fighting for their homeland while Putin stakes his entire regime. If he fucks this up, which is very likely, he is done.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/pchikov/status/1491695052715929602

Russian court has sentenced a 16 year old anarchist to 5 years in colony for blowing up an FSB building in Minecraft

joke country

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Good to see Russia finally taking a hard stance on Cyber Crimes.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
CSPAM is suddenly beginning to sweat and trying to inconspicuously nudge all the "let's kill Joe Biden... In Minecraft" posts behind the sofa.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Grouchio posted:

I was just thinking about that timeline in which he took power instead of Yeltsin, nuked Grozny, almost started WW3 over Bosnia, and punched Tony Blair in the face.
Fuckity gently caress him.

Are you angry at him for things that didn’t happen? Do you really like Tony Blair?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Regarde Aduck posted:

Are you angry at him for things that didn’t happen? Do you really like Tony Blair?

Are there are not enough reasons to hate him as it is?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

fatherboxx posted:

https://twitter.com/pchikov/status/1491695052715929602

Russian court has sentenced a 16 year old anarchist to 5 years in colony for blowing up an FSB building in Minecraft

joke country

Goddamn, how many years to you get for playing as Germany in Hoi4?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

GABA ghoul posted:

Goddamn, how many years to you get for playing as Germany in Hoi4?

I am certain that "installing Kaiserreich" would soon land as evidence in another round of quota cases of regional anti-terrorist units

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

FishBulbia posted:

ffiw NOTAMs are no more a "blockade" than a severe weather warning it. Its just an automated message and then only for pilots

Nah NOTAMs obviously range in seriousness but a military NOTAM saying 'hey we're gonna be live firing missiles in this area' basically creates a no-go area because your shipping insurance will absolutely not cover taking a missile into the side of your ship that you were 'warned' could happen.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Though this was a nice summary https://twitter.com/DanteAtkins/status/1491457706636443651

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Let's see how future Conservative Prime Minister candidate Liz Truss is doing negotiating with the Russians
https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1491771623497777159

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Nice one, Liz. Zakharova's been going on for a full week about Tatars and Mongols, this one will probably give her material for a full month.